The GameStop x Xenoblade Chronicles Conspiracy

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

ku-bigpic.png

TLDR: GameStop has been accused by fans that they have been gaining new copies of Xenoblade Chronicles and selling them "pre-owned" for the inflated price of $90, making it the most currently expensive pre-owned game in the market.

Source: http://kotaku.com/extreme-gamestop-pricing-leaves-some-fans-calling-scam-1108627828

One GameStop source tells us the retailer printed a few thousand copies of the game with no shrink wrap in order to restock their inventory, then labeled them as pre-owned. Reached for comment, a GameStop rep told us they're looking into it. We'll update when they get back to us.KOTAKU

and...

One Texas-based Kotaku reader said GameStops in his area have also recently received shipments of Xenoblade, and that he bought one this weekend. He says the condition is just like new, and that the included Club Nintendo code was unused.KOTAKU

and...

Wow, I hope GameStop's cheating a** gets exposed. This sort of scandal cannot continue.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
scum
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
This is why you don't give a single retailer exclusive rights to sell your game. Nintendo should just put it on the Wii U's E-shop.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bbkkristian
This is why you don't give a single retailer exclusive rights to sell your game. Nintendo should just put it on the Wii U's E-shop.PurpleMan5000
seriously!! It was a trap... for the consumers!!!
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

this stpid store also sell games without their plastic wrap and call them *new*.. their not new without the plastic wrap idiots!

Jing16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jing16
Member since 2006 • 14363 Posts

Someone said theyre packaged in WiiU cases too. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=648963

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Saw this on CAG, many users pointed out that Nintendo still needs to get a profit from each unit that they shipped new, meaning let's say if they shipped three Xenoblades to GameStop and GameStop sells them all as used, then Nintendo still needs to get a profit on those three copies in the first place. Also, B2G1 free. Buy three Xenoblade copies, sell two for higher than the $60 you bought them for.
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

That's garbage. It sounds too true though.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Saw this on CAG, many users pointed out that Nintendo still needs to get a profit from each unit that they shipped new, meaning let's say if they shipped three Xenoblades to GameStop and GameStop sells them all as used, then Nintendo still needs to get a profit on those three copies in the first place. Also, B2G1 free. Buy three Xenoblade copies, sell two for higher than the $60 you bought them for.

Yeah, Nintendo makes their money based on the number of units shipped. There would probably be more demand, and therefore more shipped units, if Gamestop weren't selling the units for $90, though.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Saw this on CAG, many users pointed out that Nintendo still needs to get a profit from each unit that they shipped new, meaning let's say if they shipped three Xenoblades to GameStop and GameStop sells them all as used, then Nintendo still needs to get a profit on those three copies in the first place. Also, B2G1 free. Buy three Xenoblade copies, sell two for higher than the $60 you bought them for.

Yeah, Nintendo makes their money based on the number of units shipped. There would probably be more demand, and therefore more shipped units, if Gamestop weren't selling the units for $90, though.

If no one buys them, then GameStop will be forced to lower the price....
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

I dont care if its true or not, I do not like lamestop and I refuse to shop there. Im all for chain stores since they have the ability to do things the little guy stores cant but lamestop is one company that has numerous policies and procedures I dislike a great deal, and Ive had numerous personally bad experinces at their stores.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
el oh el gamestop......
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Saw this on CAG, many users pointed out that Nintendo still needs to get a profit from each unit that they shipped new, meaning let's say if they shipped three Xenoblades to GameStop and GameStop sells them all as used, then Nintendo still needs to get a profit on those three copies in the first place. Also, B2G1 free. Buy three Xenoblade copies, sell two for higher than the $60 you bought them for.

Yeah. The real issue is that Gamestop is the only retailer allowed to sell new copies of the game and there is enough demand for them to mark the price up to $90 because nobody else has a steady supply of cheap "used" copies. A better company wouldn't abuse Nintendo this way, but everyone knows Gamestop is awful by now, so Nintendo really doesn't have anybody to blame but themselves.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blabadon
Guys, Nintendo is going to have to see a profit on all units shipped assuming they all sell and seeing this is Xenoblade, they will. I mean, forreal everyone.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PurpleMan5000
Guys, Nintendo is going to have to see a profit on all units shipped assuming they all sell and seeing this is Xenoblade, they will. I mean, forreal everyone.Blabadon
If the game is selling for $90, isn't it safe to assume that demand would be higher and more units would ship if Gamestop were selling new copies at the MSRP of $50?
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] Yeah, Nintendo makes their money based on the number of units shipped. There would probably be more demand, and therefore more shipped units, if Gamestop weren't selling the units for $90, though.

Yeah. The real issue is that Gamestop is the only retailer allowed to sell new copies of the game and there is enough demand for them to mark the price up to $90 because nobody else has a steady supply of cheap "used" copies. A better company wouldn't abuse Nintendo this way, but everyone knows Gamestop is awful by now, so Nintendo really doesn't have anybody to blame but themselves.

Argh... The thing is Nintendo is at fault, but they aren't the victims. We, the consumers are... I hope Ninty is paying attention to this BS going on, though.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

well thats all kinds of messed up for gamers. Also they must of jsut started doign that since I remember still picking up a copy for 50 bucks new after a few good months the game was released.

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

There's also a story on GameStop misled gamers into buying used games, claiming they were new and would come with all the DLC included.

What's up with GameStop lately?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PurpleMan5000
Nintendo really should just take a look at ebay and put any game that is selling used for more than $60 on its e-shop. Let the collector's collect and the gamers play at reasonable prices. It's just ridiculous.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Blabadon
[QUOTE="Blabadon"]Guys, Nintendo is going to have to see a profit on all units shipped assuming they all sell and seeing this is Xenoblade, they will. I mean, forreal everyone.PurpleMan5000
If the game is selling for $90, isn't it safe to assume that demand would be higher and more units would ship if Gamestop were selling new copies at the MSRP of $50?

Demand's really high for this game, so GameStop (fine, I'll say LameStop since the f*cking price hike) decided to increase the price and their own profit margin. Supply and demand works with more demand meaning higher prices as supply is short. MSRP only applies to new games. Make it used and they can sell it for as much as they want, even if it's a new game.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="Blabadon"]Guys, Nintendo is going to have to see a profit on all units shipped assuming they all sell and seeing this is Xenoblade, they will. I mean, forreal everyone.Blabadon

Demand's really high for this game, so GameStop (fine, I'll say LameStop since the f*cking price hike) decided to increase the price and their own profit margin. Supply and demand works with more demand meaning higher prices as supply is short. MSRP only applies to new games. Make it used and they can sell it for as much as they want, even if it's a new game.

Isn't supply only short because Gamestop has exclusive rights to new copies of the games and are intentionally ordering less stock so they can continue to sell used copies for $90, though?
brentendo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 brentendo3
Member since 2013 • 176 Posts

This is all obviously true...

xenobladegamestop-1.png

Search any city in the U.S. with a GameStop and you'll find one.  Pretty scummy of them but they probably won't change it unless it goes against some law.  They haven't started doing this in Canada yet, must be a U.S. only thing.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 finalfantasy94

I just checked amazon. Why the hell this game is so dam expensive.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bbkkristian
Someone should report them to the United States Better Business Bureau...
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts
hold on a tick...the first comment in the TC. am i reading that right? gamestop are, allegedly (thats my legal a** covered :P) making copies of the game themselves? isn't that piracy? or do gamestop and nintendo have an agreement that lets them do that?
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 bbkkristian

finalfantasy94
Demand = high & Supply = low == high price
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bbkkristian
[QUOTE="osan0"]hold on a tick...the first comment in the TC. am i reading that right? gamestop are, allegedly (thats my legal a** covered :P) making copies of the game themselves? isn't that piracy? or do gamestop and nintendo have an agreement that lets them do that?

Nah, they are buying them from Nintendo. But they are buying new copies, taking off the seals and selling them as pre owned.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PurpleMan5000

finalfantasy94
Gamestop made an agreement with Nintendo to be the only retailer in the US with the ability to sell new copies of the game. This allows them to order a small enough stock to ensure that supply does not meet demand. Then, they can give gamers like $35 for a used copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, which is a very good return on a video game you paid $50, relative to other games. They can sell the copy used for the market value, which is about $90 right now. I just wish I would have had the foresight to buy 2 or 3 copies at Gamestop on launch day. I could have kept one copy and then sold the other 2 unopened copies for about $300.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blabadon
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] If the game is selling for $90, isn't it safe to assume that demand would be higher and more units would ship if Gamestop were selling new copies at the MSRP of $50?

Isn't supply only short because Gamestop has exclusive rights to new copies of the games and are intentionally ordering less stock so they can continue to sell used copies for $90, though?

Essentially, yes is what my guess is unless Nintendo just doesn't want this game to sell. Anyways, they're (GameStop's) making money and shafting us as consumers, but they aren't shafting Nintendo, which is what I wanted to point out.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalfantasy94

[QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

bbkkristian

The price is just insane who in thier right mind would pay that much for a game. Hell a game priced that high is usally some sort of CE. I hope people have friends to borrow this game from.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="finalfantasy94"]

finalfantasy94

The price is just insane who in thier right mind would pay that much for a game. Hell a game priced that high is usally some sort of CE. I hope people have friends to borrow this game from.

True that. I fully commend the developers for this game, but Nintendo of America...
brentendo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brentendo3
Member since 2013 • 176 Posts

Would be nice if they could throw in Xenoblade Chronicles software into the X disc and have it as an extra in the game's menu.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="osan0"]hold on a tick...the first comment in the TC. am i reading that right? gamestop are, allegedly (thats my legal a** covered :P) making copies of the game themselves? isn't that piracy? or do gamestop and nintendo have an agreement that lets them do that?

Nah, they are buying them from Nintendo. But they are buying new copies, taking off the seals and selling them as pre owned.

seems a bit convoluted. why not just sell them new at 90 quid? promote it as a collectors item in store. a new collectors item would go down better with collectors than a used one surely? as i understand it nintendo do have a RRP for any game they release but retailers are not legally bound to go by that (maybe its different in the US though). if gamestop want to sell it for 5000 then they can. at the end of the day its the market that sets the price as far as i know.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

First off "lol Kotaku source" secondly this is old news, Xenoblade is a rare game of course it's gonna sky rocket in price even used. I remember Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 2 was $70 used for the longest time cause it was such a hard game to get (one hell of a game too). EB games,Gameforce, Gamestop and I'm sure other local named/family game stores have down the same crap Gamestop has been doing over the years.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PurpleMan5000
[QUOTE="osan0"][QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="osan0"]hold on a tick...the first comment in the TC. am i reading that right? gamestop are, allegedly (thats my legal a** covered :P) making copies of the game themselves? isn't that piracy? or do gamestop and nintendo have an agreement that lets them do that?

seems a bit convoluted. why not just sell them new at 90 quid? promote it as a collectors item in store. a new collectors item would go down better with collectors than a used one surely? as i understand it nintendo do have a RRP for any game they release but retailers are not legally bound to go by that (maybe its different in the US though). if gamestop want to sell it for 5000 then they can. at the end of the day its the market that sets the price as far as i know.

Yeah, this doesn't make much sense to me, either. They could easily get upwards of $100 for their new copies if they would mark them as such. The only thing that would make sense is that they have some kind of agreement with Nintendo to not sell the game above MSRP in exchange for exclusivity.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bbkkristian

First off "lol Kotaku source" secondly this is old news, Xenoblade is a rare game of course it's gonna sky rocket in price even used. I remember Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance 2 was $70 used for the longest time cause it was such a hard game to get (one hell of a game too). EB games,Gameforce, Gamestop and I'm sure other local named/family game stores have down the same crap Gamestop has been doing over the years.

Ballroompirate
Please read the entire post, or article.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ballroompirate

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

bbkkristian

Read the bold

and from the article

"GameStop is charging a whopping $90 for used copies of a Wii gameand it's leading some fans to voice some serious suspicions about how it got back in stock."

Again lol Kotaku source

rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

So many reasons to not shop at gamestop.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bbkkristian

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"][QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

Ballroompirate

Read the bold

and from the article

"GameStop is charging a whopping $90 for used copies of a Wii gameand it's leading some fans to voice some serious suspicions about how it got back in stock."

Again lol Kotaku source

You missed it again, let me hold your hand and tell you: It's not exactly the price, it's that GameStop is taking new games and taking off the seal to sell them as used. Did you miss that? The sources are from Neogaf and Jason's research.
BlaveBrave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BlaveBrave
Member since 2005 • 809 Posts

Well you know what I have to say about that.......

Let's find the giving loss

All the people cry in vain

Trying to live your life

In the sky where I can fly

Tell me what's in here

Tell me you're awake

And it's always here

While the long time whirl

Or however that song to the X trailer goes :p

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ballroompirate

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] Please read the entire post, or article. bbkkristian

Read the bold

and from the article

Again lol Kotaku source

You missed it again, let me hold your hand and tell you: It's not exactly the price, it's that GameStop is taking new games and taking off the seal to sell them as used. Did you miss that? The sources are from Neogaf and Jason's research.

Read this again since you have trouble reading

I'll quote it again

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

$90 is still cheaper than other places but yeah that is shady. Instead of selling them new for $50 they just remove the wrap and sell them used for $90.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bbkkristian

Read the bold

and from the article

Again lol Kotaku source

Ballroompirate

I'll quote it again

You read the first f***ing sentence. :| I guess it's okay, for retailers to make profit in such an unjust way....
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
It's the end of the road for me and Gamestop. I very rarely use their services but now I will likely never set foot in that shithole again. It's a sad day when a corporation creates artificial inflation specifically to screw their customers out of extra money, when they do they've lost my wallet vote. These scumbags do not deserve my money...
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ballroompirate

[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"] You missed it again, let me hold your hand and tell you: It's not exactly the price, it's that GameStop is taking new games and taking off the seal to sell them as used. Did you miss that? The sources are from Neogaf and Jason's research.bbkkristian

I'll quote it again

You read the first f***ing sentence. :| I guess it's okay, for retailers to make profit in such an unjust way....

It's nothing new holy crap, Amazon,Ebay and many other companies/individuals do the same. If something as rare as Xenoblade gets back into their stock/hands they know people will go nuts for limited quantity games.

Everything is speculation at this point and I'm sorry but when someone from Kotaku says "my sources tell me" I just want to puke in their heater in their car.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PurpleMan5000

I'll quote it again

Ballroompirate

It's nothing new holy crap, Amazon,Ebay and many other companies/individuals do the same. If something as rare as Xenoblade gets back into their stock/hands they know people will go nuts for limited quantity games.

Everything is speculation at this point and I'm sorry but when someone from Kotaku says "my sources tell me" I just want to puke in their heater in their car.

It's true that the accusations could in fact be false. If they are true, though, this is different than what everybody else does. Other companies reflect market value with their used game costs. This would be an example of Gamestop using their exclusivity to set market value and then rip off gamers with inflated costs.
bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bbkkristian

This was 10 minutes ago.

Here's an email I just got from an ex-GameStop employee: I used to work at both the GameStop warehouse and in a store. They do this quite often where they sit on a game, remove the original wrapping, and sell it as used. In the past, however, the game is cheaper than what it would be new. This seems like their way of cashing in on this rare item. Another issue with this is that if GameStop sells them "used" then GameStop receives all the profits. As of right now there is nothing to force payment to publisher or developer when they sells used copy of a game. This is one of the more dirty things I've seen GameStop do to not only a customer but a company that allowed them to sell the game exclusively.JasonSchreler

edit: Hmm... Blab, are you sure the publishers get paid at the time of distribution?

Wow, like I said earlier, GameStop needs to be reported to the BBB.

Avatar image for Ultrabeatdown55
Ultrabeatdown55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ultrabeatdown55
Member since 2008 • 15314 Posts

Probably not true. When we have an overabundance of games in the warehouses, they open them and ship them out to stores so we can sell them used. This is what happened here. They didn't print more copies lol