The GameBoy is 25 years old today!

#1 Posted by Blabadon (28168 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-game-boy-is-now-25-years-old-what-s-your-favorite-memory/1100-6419104/

Congrats to Nintendo on this seminal moment. Pretty cool to see how far gaming has come from the system that Pokemon made.

#2 Posted by _Matt_ (9307 posts) -

the system that Pokemon made.... or the system that made Pokemon? :P

But yeah crazy how time flies.

#3 Posted by Suppaman100 (4324 posts) -

How the mighty have fallen.

#4 Posted by Blabadon (28168 posts) -

@_Matt_: I was gonna make it the actual way, but it's more fair this way

#5 Posted by speedfog (3337 posts) -

Loved it and they are still after 25 years handheld king.

#6 Posted by Heil68 (46655 posts) -

Never had it and was never interested in it.

#7 Posted by Blabadon (28168 posts) -

@Suppaman100: Really? 3DS is doing pretty damn well.

#8 Posted by Joedgabe (5132 posts) -

I still got mines. No games to see if it works properly or not though lol

#9 Posted by gameofthering (10448 posts) -

@Joedgabe: Also the same for me. I have zero games for it now. I don't see any reason why I'd throw the games out yet keep the system though.

#10 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17942 posts) -

The Gameboy is a man !

meanwhile the Gamegirl is stuck at the Mysoginistic Kiddy Table.

Not cool Nintendo !

#11 Posted by Suppaman100 (4324 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@Suppaman100: Really? 3DS is doing pretty damn well.

I was talking about Nintendo in general.

The 3DS is no gameboy and the Wii U is...well the Wii U.

#12 Posted by clyde46 (47402 posts) -

I had the Gameboy pocket. I got Star Wars with it, I think I have still have it at my mums house.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (60714 posts) -

Easily Nintendo's worst handheld ever, but still the base from which they built upwards.

#14 Posted by Blabadon (28168 posts) -

@Suppaman100: Eh, I guess we gotta reach for something bad. Poor Negative Nancy, you.

#15 Posted by Joedgabe (5132 posts) -

@gameofthering said:

@Joedgabe: Also the same for me. I have zero games for it now. I don't see any reason why I'd throw the games out yet keep the system though.

ohh well.. i didn't throw away my games.. they slowly just broke :/ all of them.

#16 Posted by ConanTheStoner (7140 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@Suppaman100: Eh, I guess we gotta reach for something bad. Poor Negative Nancy, you.

Haha, pretty much.

Either that or he's a hipster in disguise.

#17 Posted by Suppaman100 (4324 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Just being a realist. But hey I'll ignore reality for a moment, just for you. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GAMEBOYYY!

#19 Edited by TrappedInABox91 (969 posts) -

Congrats Nintendo. I still have one kicking around my room somewhere. I still play Mario land 2 time to time. Man, Nintendo sure did make a tank of a handheld.

When will your favs. ever survive a bombing and still work 20+ years later?

#20 Posted by SolidGame_basic (19062 posts) -

damn I actually remember playing that. I also remember how big of a deal it was to finally play games in color

#21 Edited by BattleSpectre (6804 posts) -

"I'd like to thank everybody for wishing me a happy 25th birthday today, I will be spending it with my son" - Gameboy

#22 Posted by 35cent (927 posts) -

That thing gave me good memories. I was addicted to Tetris, Super Mario Land and Pokemon as a kid. Too bad my one got an unexpected, involuntary shower :(

P.S: Does anyone else notice that the gameboy and DS in the picture above stole Sonic's shoes?

#23 Edited by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -

My grandma still has her Game Boy with Tetris.

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (60714 posts) -

I really wish I hadn't sold off my Gameboy Color...

#25 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18365 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

"I'd like to thank everybody for wishing me a happy 25th birthday today, I will be spending it with my son" - Gameboy

Great grandson the 3DS.

#26 Posted by kuu2 (7845 posts) -

Tetris on GameBoy.

#27 Posted by DaBrainz (7721 posts) -

Still have mine in a drawer next to my toilet for some quality tetris time.

#28 Posted by Seabas989 (10844 posts) -

I'm getting old. I don't own one but I do own Tetris for the GB.

#29 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Yeah the DS and 3DS being successors to it have really failed.....

Also I feel old and I shouldn't

#30 Posted by lostrib (41811 posts) -

I wish I could find my original gameboy :(

#31 Posted by Suppaman100 (4324 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Yeah the DS and 3DS being successors to it have really failed.....

Also I feel old and I shouldn't

I was talking about Nintendo as a whole.

#32 Posted by Blabadon (28168 posts) -

Someone's reeeeeeeaching

#33 Posted by MonsieurX (31530 posts) -

Still have mine with a copy of Pokemon Red

Wish I didn't sell Donkey Kong Land :(

#34 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22550 posts) -

Its amazing when you realise that the gameboy released in 1989, and then it was still kicking around almost 10 years later all because of pokemon

#35 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

Shit's as old as me :/

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins http://i.imgur.com/z0cHPM8.png

#36 Posted by AcidTango (741 posts) -

Never had the original Gameboy and to be honest the system itself really had a bad quality for it. But I do own the Gameboy Pocket which was way better then the original version. And even better I also have the Gameboy Color. Ether way the Gameboy games were awesome.

#37 Edited by AcidTango (741 posts) -

And if you think the Gameboy being 25 years old is crazy, the Nintendo DS will be 10 years old in November 21 this year.

#38 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34251 posts) -

Link's Awakening and Donkey Kong are easily the best games on the system. Other games I've liked are Kirby's Dreamland 2, Mario Land 2 + 3, and game and Watch gallery. never been a huge Pokemon fan but Red and Blue were decent fun back in the day, Nothing else comes to mind for me. I realize there was Tetris on it too, though I've never cared about Tetris THAT much, and the game is mostly just something as a short time killer. Still a pretty important game though

One of NIntendo's weakest handhelds, but for being the first one and all it was still nice.

#39 Edited by hiphops_savior (8038 posts) -

INB4 trolls calling it the last great Nintendo console.

#40 Posted by yokofox33 (30256 posts) -

Awesome. I vividly remember waking up one morning and finding a Gaemboy in my household. I popped in Tetris and never looked back. What a fantastic handheld system.

#41 Posted by princeofshapeir (15034 posts) -

The last great Nintendo console.

#42 Edited by AznbkdX (3543 posts) -

Never had an OG Gameboy, but I did have a Gameboy Pocket.

Still remember my first game on it was Oddworld Adventures. To this day I never figured out how to pass that second area with all the doors. Later I pretty much did a code to skip to the third level and beat the game. :P

#43 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (973 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-game-boy-is-now-25-years-old-what-s-your-favorite-memory/1100-6419104/

Congrats to Nintendo on this seminal moment. Pretty cool to see how far gaming has come from the system that Pokemon made.

The system that Pokemon made? Hardly. Pokemon came out in North America in 1998, nine years after the Game Boy launched. The Game boy had almost a decade's worth of titles by then.

But anyway, damn that makes me feel old. Had a great time with it, definitely my most played handheld ever.

#44 Posted by Vatusus (5089 posts) -

25 years? really? I was 1 year and a half when it 1st came out? wow

Didnt knew it was that old of a machine... many here werent even born

#45 Edited by Vatusus (5089 posts) -
@BattleSpectre said:

I think you mean the grandson. Gameboys son was the GB Advance

#46 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3317 posts) -

Eh, seems like I'm getting old. I think I remember when it came out. Never owned one, but often played it at friends', or they would bring it over when they came to my place. I loved it, at the time it was like having a console experience on a small device. I think I bought its successor, the GB Advance I think it was called. Loved it, however I never liked playing too long on those small screens. Overall, pretty much every Gameboy I have owned was for Castlevania games. Great memories.

#47 Posted by getyeryayasout (8296 posts) -

Still have my original GameBoy (at 25, GameMan? After sounding it out, GameBoy) with Metroid, Tetris, and Arkanoid floating around somewhere, gonna have to dig it out of the basement.