The future of Castlevania

This topic is locked from further discussion.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I know this has been done dozens of times on different forums but with E3 coming I thought I refreshen up good memories. You may all know that Koji has left the Castlevania franchise for good so we won't be seeing more from him. The latest Castlevania entry "Lords of shadow trilogy" was kind of a hit or miss and please don't come here asking for SotN HD HD. Instead tell me where you think Castlvania should head next? Both story-wise and gameplay-wise. 3D like Lords of shadow? Or old school 2D? Or maybe 2.5D like Mirror of fate? Who do you think should make the next Castlevania game? Kojima himself perhaps? Or some of your favorite developers? Tell me what your hopes are for the next entry in Castelvania franchise.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

1) Don't make it 3D

2) Don't develop it for any Nintendo platform

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I hope they add Co'op

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

It's not with mercury steam.

3d castlevania already exists spiritually throughout the souls series.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@farrell2k: Yeah I agree, the series has more than ran its course, screwing up the jump to 3D didnt help matters though.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

I want the graphics to be 2.5d and in a dark gothic art style. No more of that anime crap. I want the gameplay to play like the old school classic Castlevania games which means linear with challenging platforming.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I hope they add Co'op

It seems like you can't have enough of coop lol

@starwolf474 said:

I want the graphics to be 2.5d and in a dark gothic art style. No more of that anime crap. I want the gameplay to play like the old school classic Castlevania games which means linear with challenging platforming.

I wish for the same thing. They could make the story more interesting though. Simplistic story worked well for the NES-era but they really have to put some real story there this time.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@alim298

If they want to go 2D then I absolutely demand co-op....

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Lords of Shadow 1 was a beautiful game that was erratically pieced together, that had paper thin story despite high production values. Of course it had some positive aspects and predated Tomb Raider in its cinematic approach but the execution was hit and miss. Exploration wasn't really satisfying as the levels were quite limited. Back tracking to obtain new powers also felt half-assed as you could go beck to where you previously were using options screen instead of seamlessly integrating exploration within gameplay. A lot of stuff felt tacked on.

But I think Castlevania could work in 3D but it'd have to focus on seamless exploration and better hookability of new powers . If Metroid worked so well in FPP, why couldn't Castlevania in TPP?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@Blabadon said:

2) Don't develop it for any Nintendo platform

Yeah, all that can be said.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

IGA needs to be head of the franchise again. It was never truly "Castlevania" under Mercury Stream. Just God of War/Shadow of the Colossus in Castlevania clothing.

Unfortunately, Michiru Yamane isn't making music for the series anymore, and Ayame Kojima isn't doing art... so they will lose a lot of their charm if they don't come back for the next entry with IGA.

They *need* to do a Battle of 1999 game. They've been teasing it for over a decade now. It's time.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Konami failed when they became Hideo Kojima and full on Metal Gear Solid and stopped focusing on great games as Castlevania, Zone of the Enders, Ninja Turtles, Contra, Mystcal Ninja and more.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

It's not with mercury steam.

3d castlevania already exists spiritually throughout the souls series.

yeah Mercury pretty much killed this franchise. Even though I do like the Lords of Shadow games.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#16 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

IGA needs to be head of the franchise again. It was never truly "Castlevania" under Mercury Stream. Just God of War/Shadow of the Colossus in Castlevania clothing.

Unfortunately, Michiru Yamane isn't making music for the series anymore, and Ayame Kojima isn't doing art... so they will lose a lot of their charm if they don't come back for the next entry with IGA.

They *need* to do a Battle of 1999 game. They've been teasing it for over a decade now. It's time.

This argument couldn't be more wrong.

LoS was inspired by LoI. Which is 2 years older than GoW. Hack and slash games tend to have a pretty similar gameplay. it's ridiculous to claim that every hack and slash game is a GoW clone.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@foxhound_fox said:

LoS was inspired by LoI. Which is 2 years older than GoW. Hack and slash games tend to have a pretty similar gameplay. it's ridiculous to claim that every hack and slash game is a GoW clone.

Inspired by perhaps, but they ripped almost all the gameplay features from God of War and Shadow of the Colossus.

And a lot of hack and slash games ARE God of War clones... because they tend to take what God of War did well and apply it to their own games in an attempt to garner success.

Lords of Shadow is a pretty game with very little substance.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

What future?

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3219 Posts

Make it similar to the classic ones that was before SOTN.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Castlevania has been dead since Circle of the Moon. All of the Metroidy sequels tried too hard to recapture the magic of Symphony of the Night that it got tiring. For me, I want the series to go entirely digital and give us more stuff like Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth. Side-scrolling Castlevania like Super Castlevania IV and Rondo of Blood is the peak of the series for me.

Konami is absolutely garbage these days so I have 0 faith in them to do anything good with the Castlevania brand.

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

It would be nice if Castlevania 3 became available on the 3DS Virtual Console. That's the only Castlevania- relating thing I care about.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

I need SOTN2 on 3DS .. like NOW!!! .. but seriously Castlevania works so well in 2D and I hope Konami can keep it this way .. The DS Castlevania games are great and I hope we see a similar game on 3DS and/or Vita :)

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I cant disagree enough.It felt like castlevania to me just not metroidvania.Mercury did there own thing but kept the spirit alive of castlevania.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I cant disagree enough.It felt like castlevania to me just not metroidvania.Mercury did there own thing but kept the spirit alive of castlevania.

I will tell you one precise reason why. The game was originally something else. It started out as a game about Spanish Inquisition in Middle Ages. But the developers ran out of money during the course of its dev cycle and then the Kojima Studios came in a and lend a hand, but required the game to be reworked so that it would fit in the theme of Castlevania. And it really shows why it is such a shallow smorgasboard of everything but nothing's fully developed. Even the characters themselves look SPANISH. And the devs themselves were Spanish as well.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Looks like I'm the only one who loves Lords of Shadow and would again like to see Castlevania in 3D. Not really a fan of 2D sidescrolling games.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Im playing lords of shardows now, but its so damn linear and getting boring already. Looks great but I think they should make it metroidvania again in 3d like metrod prime seeing as nintendo has apparently backed away from that style of gameplay now.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

As long as they don't make a game as tedious as Harmony of Dissonance, then I'm totally fine with the way the rest of the GBA and DS games are. Harmony and its tedious backtracking and the god awful music killed the whole experience for me. The music sounded like something out of the Gameboy Color generation...

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

I will tell you one precise reason why. The game was originally something else. It started out as a game about Spanish Inquisition in Middle Ages. But the developers ran out of money during the course of its dev cycle and then the Kojima Studios came in a and lend a hand, but required the game to be reworked so that it would fit in the theme of Castlevania. And it really shows why it is such a shallow smorgasboard of everything but nothing's fully developed. Even the characters themselves look SPANISH. And the devs themselves were Spanish as well.

Do you have a link for this info?If it truly did start as something els it doesint really show it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

^

lol wow.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#30 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@lightleggy said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Inspired by perhaps, but they ripped almost all the gameplay features from God of War and Shadow of the Colossus.

And a lot of hack and slash games ARE God of War clones... because they tend to take what God of War did well and apply it to their own games in an attempt to garner success.

Lords of Shadow is a pretty game with very little substance.

Like which gameplay features? Which features did GoW had that LoI didn't? The only one I can think of is the xp system. Even the combo system (light direct attacks and heavy horizontal strikes) was taken from LoI. As for shadow of the colossus...Why? Because you could climb on big monsters and smash them in a weakspot? That's hardly a ripoff considering there were only like 3 monsters who played like this in the entire game.

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

MS adquired the castlevania franchise and began developing it into something vastly different. Then konami sent kojima as an advisor and he told them to change many things, one of them being the main character design. Which was initially a barbarian. Kojima told them that the main character should always be a handsome and clean man, your typical action hero, so that the audience can relate better and like him better. Thus gabriel was born. So no, your info is fake, the characters are not meant to "look spaniard", which is kind of a wild thing to say since western europeans have very similar appareances.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#31  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I would love a 2D game based on the battle of 1999. Make the level design like the GBA and DS games.

Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts

I actually enjoyed the Lords of Shadow series was nice to have something a little different from Castlevania but I can still see why most didn't like it. As someone who has played and completed all of the Castlevania games so far I find it hard to see how they try and continue the series from here without just butchering it or recycling what has already been done. I now play Castlevania through the Dark Souls games. Pick up a whip, take off your helmet, get some miracles and use some imagination, my favorite run through the Souls games has been as a Belmont-esque character.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Castlevania has an insane identity crisis right now. Ever since SotN boom, the franchise has never attempted to return to the formula that made it so popular in the first place, aside from Mirror of Fate, in certain aspects. I always felt Castlevania has been mediocre since SotN, as they stripped away everything about Castlevania in favor of a gothic skin for Metroid. It baffles me how some people use arguments like "X is a good game, but bad (insert franchise here) game" when it comes to shit like Other M, Resident Evil 4 etc. but never SotN. By all accounts SotN if we're speaking strictly on what Castlevania was about pre-release SotN, it was probably the "worst" Castlevania game released (ignoring Vampire Hunter on the MSX or whatever the hell it was called on that system). So all we've got since SotN was Dracula's Castle and level ups repeated ad nauseum on handhelds, and weird "I just want to be a 3D SotN action games" on Ps2. The 64 twins, while being... flawed in key aspects of their design retained the same basic level structures (to a certain extent) that classic-vania titles had, it was promising. But unfortunately, this formula was never expanded upon, refined or improved because of SotN.

Mercury Steam pushed the game in yet ANOTHER direction, making the game reminiscent of Curse of Darkness in its linear levels, with some minor exploration. Honestly I did sorta enjoy it, but the experience was so average my memory fails to recall the faults and the good parts. Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 remain the only Castlevanias I haven't played, so there's not much for me to say. 2.5D is a promising step in terms of what hasn't been done in CV yet.

The answer to the future of Castlevania lies in its recent history. Two 3rd person action games, a 2.5d scroller, and a 2008 Metroidvania. Just what IS a Castlevania game? I don't think anybody really knows. They know only the title, not what to expect inside the game cartridge/disc. The series is dead in the water IMO, it has nothing that defines it, nothing that would catch your eye other than a title and a familiar universe, and sometimes that is not enough. As much as I would love to have a release akin to Megaman 9 or 10 for classic Castlevania, the market for that crowd I feel is way too small. The difficulty niche has been filled (somehow) by the Souls games, and a side scrollin action game that isn't an indie title would probably be laughed at by anyone not already a huge fan of that formula in this day and age. Here's hoping they figure something out though.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#35 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

In the short term, I would be OK if they continued supporting it like the recent Strider game. So 2D or 2.5D......there is too much stigma associated with 3d versions...not to mention they cost a lot more to develop.

In the long term.....well, I'll let you know when I get around finishing LoS2.....haven't thought about that yet......and yes shame on me, only played the first 60 min of LoS2.....Im finding it hard playing previous gen games these days, got used to next gen graphics lol.....but ill get to it soon.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@MLBknights58 said:

Castlevania has an insane identity crisis right now. Ever since SotN boom, the franchise has never attempted to return to the formula that made it so popular in the first place, aside from Mirror of Fate, in certain aspects. I always felt Castlevania has been mediocre since SotN, as they stripped away everything about Castlevania in favor of a gothic skin for Metroid. It baffles me how some people use arguments like "X is a good game, but bad (insert franchise here) game" when it comes to shit like Other M, Resident Evil 4 etc. but never SotN. By all accounts SotN if we're speaking strictly on what Castlevania was about pre-release SotN, it was probably the "worst" Castlevania game released (ignoring Vampire Hunter on the MSX or whatever the hell it was called on that system). So all we've got since SotN was Dracula's Castle and level ups repeated ad nauseum on handhelds, and weird "I just want to be a 3D SotN action games" on Ps2. The 64 twins, while being... flawed in key aspects of their design retained the same basic level structures (to a certain extent) that classic-vania titles had, it was promising. But unfortunately, this formula was never expanded upon, refined or improved because of SotN.

Mercury Steam pushed the game in yet ANOTHER direction, making the game reminiscent of Curse of Darkness in its linear levels, with some minor exploration. Honestly I did sorta enjoy it, but the experience was so average my memory fails to recall the faults and the good parts. Mirror of Fate and Lords of Shadow 2 remain the only Castlevanias I haven't played, so there's not much for me to say. 2.5D is a promising step in terms of what hasn't been done in CV yet.

The answer to the future of Castlevania lies in its recent history. Two 3rd person action games, a 2.5d scroller, and a 2008 Metroidvania. Just what IS a Castlevania game? I don't think anybody really knows. They know only the title, not what to expect inside the game cartridge/disc. The series is dead in the water IMO, it has nothing that defines it, nothing that would catch your eye other than a title and a familiar universe, and sometimes that is not enough. As much as I would love to have a release akin to Megaman 9 or 10 for classic Castlevania, the market for that crowd I feel is way too small. The difficulty niche has been filled (somehow) by the Souls games, and a side scrollin action game that isn't an indie title would probably be laughed at by anyone not already a huge fan of that formula in this day and age. Here's hoping they figure something out though.

Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow have taken the series to a SoTN direction. I haven't played the other DS games yet but, they're probably the same as well. Alucard is in these 2 games as well as: Genya Arikado.