NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

What do you think is going to happen when servers eventually get shut down for games like Destiny, Diablo III or Need for Speed? Will the games be patched so they can function without an internet connection? Will they just become a paper weight?

What do you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Most of them will just become completely unplayable, I imagine. Companies like EA are too anti consumer to bother patching them with offline modes. I hope hackers and modders can come up with something in that scenario.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The physical copies will make great coasters. They don't care enough about the players to add anything down the road.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@nyadc said:

What do you think is going to happen when servers eventually get shut down for games like Destiny, Diablo III or Need for Speed? Will the games be patched so they can function without an internet connection? Will they just become a paper weight?

What do you think?

They will go the way of the Do do, unless somebody sets up servers for them like it has been done to PS2 and Xbox games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58940 Posts

John Riccitiello proposed we would be paying for bullets. He is probably right.

When popularity dips, they will die or be re-branded with a new business model.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

They will either be coasters when the servers get shut down or be coasters with empty servers running like Titanfall.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

They'll just go down, which sucks.

I'm playing The Crew at the moment, and this game is great, aside from the fact that it's always online. At least you can pause a race, as opposed to Need for Speed.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

This is why I never buy always online games, I'd rather own my game than be worried it'll end up becoming entirely unplayable no matter what I do.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NyaDC

See here is the weird thing, I would purchase a game like WoW, or Guild Wars with the expectation and understanding that the game exists because of an online infrastructure, that's the only way it can work and will at one point have to be shutdown. Games like Destiny, Need for Speed and Diablo III though, they don't need an online infrastructure to work at a core single player level, it just blows my mind how this has become a thing and honestly it's likely trials for future games where they can shut one down to force you to upgrade to the next game.

Look at MLB the Show, they shutdown the network for the game from the previous year so people who want to play online have to move to the newest version, it's insanity.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Not sure what Diablo 3 is doing on that list. I can play my PS4 version just fine offline.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NyaDC

@nethernova said:

Not sure what Diablo 3 is doing on that list. I can play my PS4 version just fine offline.

PC version requires authentication, also lol @ Diablo on a console...

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bigboi500

@nyadc said:
@nethernova said:

It's actually a lot of fun playing it in local co op, even on consoles. Read the review for the one on PS4 and XB1, works great with a controller.

Local co op>online any way you try to spin it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:
@nyadc said:
@nethernova said:

It's actually a lot of fun playing it in local co op, even on consoles. Read the review for the one on PS4 and XB1, works great with a controller.

Truth.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Cant say I care enough either way. Once I finish a game it is done and put away. The only older games I play are on emulators. The online thing only affects collectors and people without internet. I doubt in 10 years I'd want to fire up Destiny when no one is playing anymore.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

Play them while they're relevant, don't let them sit in your backlist indefinitely.

HOPEFULLY, with the ability to do virtual servers with companies renting out servers/networks on the fly from third parties, gaming companies might not require the ability to manage their own servers for individual games and instead can just utilize a virtual server network when its needed for any number of games.

Anyhow, I'm less worried about servers being shut down these days than people just stop playing these games online first, what good is online if nobody sticks around to play the MP features.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@nyadc: mlb simply doesnt make enough money. If they sole cod numbers then mlb the show 2010s servers would still be up lol

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Livecommander

@nyadc: but yea this always online trend is definitely scary. But hey its evoulutions nature to get better and worse at the same time , as time itself continues.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I thought this was well known and we already have tons of historical precedent.

They have no future.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@Livecommander said:

@nyadc: mlb simply doesnt make enough money. If they sole cod numbers then mlb the show 2010s servers would still be up lol

NBA 2K prints money and they shut down the servers for those after a year. They want people to buy the new versions. Has nothing to do with server money.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SolidTy

@Bigboi500 said:
@nyadc said:
@nethernova said:

Yep. I have three copies of Diablo 3 on PC LAN in my home for my various gaming PCs (always tied to Blizzard's DRM). I beat it and had fun, but I wished the whole time I didn't have to deal with Blizzard DRM and wished I didn't have to buy three copies to do local co op.

Had I known I could have waited for a DRM free console version of Diablo 3 with added local 4 player co op, I would have waited, but Blizzard were reluctant to announce the eventual console port (all we had was rumors). Of course, I lived in the time when we had rumors for Diablo 2 ports to console, and that Diablo 2 port never came to be, so I wasn't about to miss out on Diablo 3 (although, it didn't blow me away as I expected either). The end result is that I only have multiple copies of Diablo 2 PC for various home PCs I have because I love co op, although I have Diablo 1 on PC and the later released console port (couch co-op FTW!). I also have three unsellable copies of DRM filled Diablo 3 on PC, yay.

When the console versions released for Diablo 3, I jumped. Local co-op being added in is an instant win, a feature completely missing in the PC version.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

They won't work unless communities make their own servers. Who cares? 10 years from now I'm not going to want to play old online games

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@SolidTy: not only that but imo a loot grind game like Diablo is just more fun to play from the couch with a controller. The console ports of that game are excellent

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidTy

@mems_1224: Definitely true from my experience.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

I really don't think I'll care enough about Destiny or Diablo 3 when their servers shut down ten years from now.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#25 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

They will be paper weight for sure. EA don't give a shit and the day the PS4 will be retro, no one will be able to play those online only games ... and they have so much update that those poor kids or adults will have to deal with glitchs and bugs ...

Maybe one day someone will dig up thousand of copies of those game that are now unplayable just like they did with ET a few years ago. But ine our case it wont even works

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Livecommander

@NathanDrakeSwag: You got me there. Never looked at it that way. 2k does use wayyy more server hosting resources tho. If that fully makes sense lol. Havent played the show in a while but im sure the servers arent nearly as exspensive to maintain. So i wouldnt be surprised if the show switches to atleast 2 year long servers tho , with the ridiculous cod sells in mind tho. Witch will never happen. So this is all just blabber in the 1st place lol smart business move. But finding a way to not completely turn the servers off would be smarter.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#27 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

This is why i dont really play online-focused games.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

You have to feel sorry for the kids playing these games now, and try to do "nostalgia" in 20 years with them.

@freedomfreak said:

They'll just go down, which sucks.

I'm playing The Crew at the moment, and this game is great, aside from the fact that it's always online. At least you can pause a race, as opposed to Need for Speed.

Fun game, more so then the new NFS.

khoofia_pika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#29 khoofia_pika
Member since 2006 • 16761 Posts

@Ant_17 said:
@freedomfreak said:

I'm playing The Crew at the moment

Fun game, more so then the new NFS.

Even Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is more fun than the new NFS.

Not taking anything away from The Crew, I just don't like the new NFS :p

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts
@khoofia_pika said:

Even Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash is more fun than the new NFS.

Not taking anything away from The Crew, I just don't like the new NFS :p

Trust me, pre-Wild Run The Crew is just poopoo even compared to the new NFS.

The new NFS is suffering from "nostalgia", which i'm a victim of it.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@nyadc said:
@nethernova said:

I hear it's quite enjoyable on PS4.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:
@nyadc said:
@nethernova said:

for people like him who probably doesn't have a real life friend...... having online.... well you get my point

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

diablo 3 can be played offline for consoles.

@demon-returns said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@nyadc said:
@nethernova said:

for people like him who probably doesn't have a real life friend...... having online.... well you get my point

Well that escalated quickly.

lolz

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@SolidTy said:
@Bigboi500 said:
@nyadc said:
@nethernova said:

Yep. I have three copies of Diablo 3 on PC LAN in my home for my various gaming PCs (always tied to Blizzard's DRM). I beat it and had fun, but I wished the whole time I didn't have to deal with Blizzard DRM and wished I didn't have to buy three copies to do local co op.

Had I known I could have waited for a DRM free console version of Diablo 3 with added local 4 player co op, I would have waited, but Blizzard were reluctant to announce the eventual console port (all we had was rumors). Of course, I lived in the time when we had rumors for Diablo 2 ports to console, and that Diablo 2 port never came to be, so I wasn't about to miss out on Diablo 3 (although, it didn't blow me away as I expected either). The end result is that I only have multiple copies of Diablo 2 PC for various home PCs I have because I love co op, although I have Diablo 1 on PC and the later released console port (couch co-op FTW!). I also have three unsellable copies of DRM filled Diablo 3 on PC, yay.

When the console versions released for Diablo 3, I jumped. Local co-op being added in is an instant win, a feature completely missing in the PC version.

There are 2 sides to Diablo 3 DRM, PC version gets all the seasons, leaderboards etc multiplayer features, which would be totally pointless to have on consoles because what's the point when people just edit the crap out of their characters? Personally I would not have played PC version as long as I did if it wasn't online only.

I'm okay with online only games when it actually benefits the game like D3

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46279 Posts

I love revisiting game. If a game is good or has an interesting story, or a setting worth re-exploring I'll surely come back to it one day.

There are games I've played countless times over: Donkey Kong Country 2, Max Payne, Half Life, Age of Empîres, ... and online games where I have found many years worth of enjoyment. Way too many too list.

Games are worth staying alive longer than 2 years. Games are worth having a legacy.

And developers that take passion in their work will want their game to played many years down the road too. The developers of Half Life still have their games be talked about, even if the last entry was 8 years ago. Counter Strike, a mod from 99, is still one of the most popular games on steam to this day...
So always online can piss right the **** off! It hampers the true creatorship of the developers and kills the legacy of the game.

Gamers and developers should decide how long a game's life is supposed to be. Not crappy market schemes.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

The reason why i won't touch online only games

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

By the time those games get their servers shut down, the player count will be too small and insignificant to matter anyways. Only online MP games probably won't have longevity when there's so many more and new ones coming right after.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Most of them will just become completely unplayable, I imagine. Companies like EA are too anti consumer to bother patching them with offline modes. I hope hackers and modders can come up with something in that scenario.

Thank you, I will never forget the first time I played an EA game and it gave me an abrasive message basically stating "you bought the game but we own the licensing and you will use it how we tell you. If you have a problem then DEAL"

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

Remember that time the ESA opposed a motion to make circumvention of DRM for the purposes of preservation legal?
Publishers would rather old games die and never be playable again, because they want you to buy and play new games which make them money. Publishers will eventually shut these games down, communities may or may not find a way to circumvent DRM.

With BF1942 it was apparently no more complicated than setting up a new master server and redirecting to it. That game is over a decade old though.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

I don't expect to play the same game for 30 years so I don't care. If I really really wanted to there is emulation for that. Not sure why people care so much

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Buying games like those, a gamer must accept one day the game wont be playable any more.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

For those saying that the game becomes unplayable...what about posterity? Does that mean future generations will never be able to experience these games as they were intended?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I can see it going that direction, at which point I will bow out and stick with all the platforms before it. Still thousands of games already out that I'd like to play at some point.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I think we'll see consumer protection laws requiring the companies to release the executeables and server binaries to the public once they shut their official servers down.

Always online isn't going anywhere and it's going to become the norm soon. People are going to have to accept that. It's a brilliant form of DRM and a lot of games are built around the idea of multiplayer and connectivity. Persistent online servers open up a lot of gameplay options that would not work in a traditional, client setting.

Because always online isn't going anywhere and will be the norm, we'll see a change in how companies have to handle the servers. That's why I say they'll be required to release the server binaries so that people can run their own server.

It was just made into law (I think) that companies cannot shut down 3rd party master servers for games that they no longer provide a master server for. The company isn't required to maintain a master server for their game but they also cannot shut down others created after they stopped support.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bigboi500

@drummerdave9099 said:

I can see it going that direction, at which point I will bow out and stick with all the platforms before it. Still thousands of games already out that I'd like to play at some point.

Pretty much how I see it. One of the reasons I've amassed a large collection of physical games and systems over the years.

I've been considering where gaming is going for generations now, and I don't like where things are heading. Seems like these corporations are taking more and more away from the consumer, all while charging more at the same time. If Microsoft had actually gotten away with what they had intended to do all along, this slippery slope would be much farther along than it actually is right now.

At this point, I'm not even sure about next gen. We could see a full removal of physical media, and worse yet, all streaming content to ensure maximum DRM to impose on what this industry hates most: the consumer.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

They will be dead you won't be able to play them anymore

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Also Rainbow Six Siege, playing terrorist hunt solo is impossible without server connection.

It's going to suck damn hard when they close every server.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

I don't buy those games so it doesn't matter.