The first trailer of the future greatest game of all time

• 196 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

LOL JRPGs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#152  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Vecna said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

LOL JRPGs.

Ya'all are really missing on some quality gaming here.

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#153 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts

I have yet to play Persona 4 on the Vita, one day I will try it out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@CleanPlayer said:

I have yet to play Persona 4 on the Vita, one day I will try it out

If you do not have a Vita, it is also available on PS3 for $10 on the PSN Store.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#155 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@deadline-zero0: The English dub is actually amazing. Some of the characters may rub you off the wrong way to begin with, but about half an hour in, your irritation goes away, as the characters grow into the voices.

NO! Ok, it wasn't THAT bad, but still abit cringy. You can easily tell the obvious anime influnce in the way teh dialogue is delivered, just like FF and even MGS. I don't even need to watch the japanese version to know it'll be 10x better.

And while it wasn't has bad as i was expecting, hearing "kun" and "san" coming out of the video was cringe central. You can't deny that Char. Those words, just like "senpai" have no direct english translation (that i'm aware of) and are almost never directly translated in any medium. It made me want to punch the screen.

You can in fact date multiple girls haha. Just expect to feel bad about yourself if you do it (although in Persona 3, if you want to max out each character, you have no choice but to date all female characters).

The games pull off the metaphysical elements incredibly well. Persona 3, in particular, created such a compelling story around the concept of death, and it created this constant feeling of dread in your throat while playing it. It was amazing. Really, the one thing Atlus games- not just Persona, but all Atlus games- do extremely well is the metaphysical aspects. In the case of Persona 4, the metaphysical parts don't actually come into play until very late, and then they're taken care of pretty damn well.

I also want to point out, yes this is turn based, but it's turn based with a twist. It's in fact entirely possible to stack up multiple turns and finish off your enemy before they even get a chance to attack you, because of how the gameplay is structured.

I don't have a problem with turn based. Was just curious to see if it was a fusion style liek many JRPGs seem to be doing over the last few years.

Still, the game has me intrigued, even if for the combination of modern day with magical RPG aspects, instead of teh fantasy/sci-fi settings we get handed. I'll be looking into it.

Though, i'm still not crazy over the guy's design.

But, the GOAT is going to be from CDPR Char. You know this already. :P

To be honest the combat is proboly the weakest part of the games. I dont think its bad per say but I didint find it super fun. Though I do like that the fights are fairly quick so your not stuck in one for to long. In short your in it for the social aspect,story and characters. At least thats what keeps me going with these games.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 finalfantasy94

@charizard1605 said:

@deadline-zero0: The English dub is actually amazing. Some of the characters may rub you off the wrong way to begin with, but about half an hour in, your irritation goes away, as the characters grow into the voices.

You can in fact date multiple girls haha. Just expect to feel bad about yourself if you do it (although in Persona 3, if you want to max out each character, you have no choice but to date all female characters).

The games pull off the metaphysical elements incredibly well. Persona 3, in particular, created such a compelling story around the concept of death, and it created this constant feeling of dread in your throat while playing it. It was amazing. Really, the one thing Atlus games- not just Persona, but all Atlus games- do extremely well is the metaphysical aspects. In the case of Persona 4, the metaphysical parts don't actually come into play until very late, and then they're taken care of pretty damn well.

I also want to point out, yes this is turn based, but it's turn based with a twist. It's in fact entirely possible to stack up multiple turns and finish off your enemy before they even get a chance to attack you, because of how the gameplay is structured.

Were any of the characters like that for you? Personally I liked every voice I heard even for the non story characters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Were any of the characters like that for you? Personally I liked every voice I heard even for the non story characters.

Chie (believe it or not) and Rise.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 finalfantasy94

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

which chie normal or gold?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Both lol. The first one sounded too old, and the second one too over the top.

I think I like the new Chie more all said and done, though.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23765 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@charizard1605: It's cool. But i must say i'm abit shocked by the anticipation and positive response i've been seeing.

I'm sorry, but to fair.......................it's a freaking japanese high school sim, even if it has RPG aspects. I'd expect to game to be hated for it's clearly obvious anime design. I mean, MGS and even FF, i can get somewhat, but this, from my limited knowledge of anime (not as big as i make it seem) is one of the most used tropes in anime, with alot fo harem and overly cringy dialogue (the animes i mean).

I mean, if Persona is indeed popular in jp, this explains it, but, it's abit surprised by the welcomed reception from GS and others. But that's great i guess. May have a new series.

@inb4uall said:

fucking weeboos ruin everything.

i can have waifu in this game. So kawaiiiiii :P

Persona is popular because it knows exactly what it is and wants to be, it is not some awkward mix that tries to appeal to 2 distinct cultures only to appeal to neither, in that sense, it also has its own charm to it. It also does well to appeal to westerners WITHOUT detracting from its strong anime appeal. Which is quite an accomplishment indeed. Unlike most jRPGs, Persona 4 is pretty open ended, and only some obligatory scenes are in some way forced on you, the rest is entirely optional (those obligatory scenes are great though, and are usually very amusing). Outside of that, the only thing forced on you is to save some poor sod's life every few months. Which puts you in a dungeon crawling world where the social links you built up in the main world provides fusion bonuses in the dungeon crawling world. Other than that, it is otherwise open ended with you being given the choice to do as you please, build up social links, study, work. While it is no Princess Maker 2, Recettear, SaGa or Sengoku Rance(NSFW) it is probably the most open ended jRPG out there with mass appeal.

It may seem like I am gushing, but I am not. I quite frankly dislike Persona 4 (and going from what I heard about Persona 3, I would rather play Final Fantasy 13), so no, this is not some fanboy gushing. Those Persona games are well crafted games, unfortunately, they only happen to also pull every possible string that causes Maroxad to push his eject button.

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#163 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

Phantom dust>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> E.T>>>>>> P5

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

All this lemming salt. I love it.

@hehe101 said:

I thought you lems didn't like F2P.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60665 Posts

More gaming goodness for current gen 8 leading PS4. Yes Please.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I would agree with you @charizard1605 but since it's on PS3 as well, that keeps the PS4 away from being a must own and keeps it from being the best system. If P5 was a PS4 Exclusive, THEN it would be the best console but since it's on PS3 as well, they killed that potential.

However THIS exclusive title teaser does have potential to be Greatest Game Of All Time and the potential to make a console the Best System since it's not playable on any other console:

Loading Video...

By the same creators

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

@Vecna said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

LOL JRPGs.

Agreed!

We want more dude bro shooters where all you do is click that R1 the entire game! JRPGs? pff dude bro shooters right now! oh and RPGs with nude mods too plz!

Vecna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Vecna
Member since 2002 • 3425 Posts

@charizard1605: Nah, I have tried JRPG's. I would rather watch twitch.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By finalfantasy94

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Both lol. The first one sounded too old, and the second one too over the top.

I think I like the new Chie more all said and done, though.

I heard her voice after hearing the gold version and wow does she sound old.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 hehe101

@GrenadeLauncher said:

All this lemming salt. I love it.

@hehe101 said:

I thought you lems didn't like F2P.

As I thought cows only liked indies

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@Vecna said:

@charizard1605: Nah, I have tried JRPG's. I would rather watch twitch.

Which ones? Just curious

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 GrenadeLauncher

@hehe101 said:

Indies are great along with all the AAA we get.

How's that game drought going, lem? Just two more weeks until lemmings can justify buying an Xbone for the first time in a year!!!

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Part of me thought this was going to be a Pokemon thread, but then I remembered Persona 5 was announced.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

@Vecna said:

@zeeshanhaider said:

LOL JRPGs.

Agreed!

We want more dude bro shooters where all you do is click that R1 the entire game! JRPGs? pff dude bro shooters right now! oh and RPGs with nude mods too plz!

Ironically, I'm not the one who buys CoD yearly. Looking at you I can safely assume, crap animo + crap JRPGs + crap dude bro shooters goes hand in hand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@nini200: I hope that still exists, we haven't seen nor heard from it in over a year and a half now.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 nini200

@charizard1605 said:

@nini200: I hope that still exists, we haven't seen nor heard from it in over a year and a half now.

It's right on schedule according to the producer. Thank God. It's my most anticipated WiiU title and it has the exclusive potential to be the greatest game of all time. I own All the persona titles except P4Arena because I wasn't that fond of the fighting engine but I'll get Ultimax. I love Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games. My favorite still is Revelations: Persona followed by 3.

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 hehe101

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@hehe101 said:

Indies are great along with all the AAA we get.

How's that game drought going, lem? Just two more weeks until lemmings can justify buying an Xbone for the first time in a year!!!

Drought? I'm sure i'm not having a drought, unless you're referring to dark souls wannabe or infamous i'd rather dehydrate!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#179 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Not my genre and never been a fan of anime in any sense.

Good for those who like anime and JRPG though.

Lebron181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Lebron181
Member since 2008 • 837 Posts

I'm sorry to say but I have lost faith on Japanese developers to really compete with the western developers. They have been at the top of the gaming industry until the last generation. JRPG's have been stagnant with not really changing or innovating the genre. All it's been is the same gameplay of either action-based or turn-based with enhanced graphics but same horrible animation movement. The only saving grace for Japanese gaming industry is Nintendo.

The hand-held market is where they shine but other than that, they've been really struggling making console games. I'm being pessimistic but I really do hope that Persona 5 actually exceeds my expectations. I've played P3P and didn't really enjoyed it.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Maroxad

@nini200 said:

@charizard1605 said:

It's right on schedule according to the producer. Thank God. It's my most anticipated WiiU title and it has the exclusive potential to be the greatest game of all time. I own All the persona titles except P4Arena because I wasn't that fond of the fighting engine but I'll get Ultimax. I love Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games. My favorite still is Revelations: Persona followed by 3.

By 3, do you mean SMT3 as in Nocturne (The best game atlus ever made) or Persona 3?

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 nini200

@Maroxad said:

@nini200 said:

@charizard1605 said:

By 3, do you mean SMT3 as in Nocturne (The best game atlus ever made) or Persona 3?

SMT but Persona 3 was good too. Main reason most people gave SMT 3 Nocturne a chance (even though it was great) was because they heard or saw that Dante was in it.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

I grabbed smt on the 3ds. It was pretty good, I never finished it but I actually prefer turn based combat for jrpg.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Maroxad

@ominous_titan said:

I grabbed smt on the 3ds. It was pretty good, I never finished it but I actually prefer turn based combat for jrpg.

A lot of people do actually. Remember the lukewarm reception Ni No Kuni's combat got?

As a matter of fact, among people who have been playing RPGs for the past 30 years or so, Turn Based is greatly favored over real time combat, be it ATB, RTwP or Action.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#185 GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

@charizard1605:

Why is every game announced for PS4 gonna be game of the year? So far, neither X1 or PS4 games have been anywhere near that level.

GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By GrenadeLauncher

@hehe101 said:

Drought? I'm sure i'm not having a drought, unless you're referring to dark souls wannabe or infamous i'd rather dehydrate!

Desperately trying to port on games that have been on the PS4 for months and a month and a half gap between retail releases. That drought.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@gamersjustgame said:

@charizard1605:

Why is every game announced for PS4 gonna be game of the year? So far, neither X1 or PS4 games have been anywhere near that level.

I don't care it's on the PS4, it could have been on the Atari and I'd have hyped it. It's Persona 5, that's all that matters to me.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 Maroxad

@charizard1605 said:

@gamersjustgame said:

@charizard1605:

I don't care it's on the PS4, it could have been on the Atari and I'd have hyped it. It's Persona 5, that's all that matters to me.

What if it is Persona only in name, and plays more like I Persona 1, which I believe you were not particularly keen on?

We know nothing about the game, excited is a good thing, but lets not go overboard here. We wouldn't want to see another Skyward Sword fallout from you :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Maroxad said:

@charizard1605 said:

@gamersjustgame said:

@charizard1605:

What if it is Persona only in name, and plays more like I Persona 1, which I believe you were not particularly keen on?

We know nothing about the game, excited is a good thing, but lets not go overboard here. We wouldn't want to see another Skyward Sword fallout from you :P

It's not going to be like Persona 1, the production team and process for the first two games was shuffled out of Atlus, and the new production team and process took over starting Persona 3, and those guys have a very different idea of what they want Persona to be than the original folks did.

Related to that, I do have full faith in this team and what it puts out- it has not made a single game so far that I disliked. Not only was that not true going into Skyward Sword (since Spirit Tracks existed), but perhaps equally importantly, I did have initial reservations about Skyward Sword, and only fully joined the hype train when they showed off the Origins trailer for it.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Maroxad said:

@charizard1605 said:

@gamersjustgame said:

@charizard1605:

It's not going to be like Persona 1, the production team and process for the first two games was shuffled out of Atlus, and the new production team and process took over starting Persona 3, and those guys have a very different idea of what they want Persona to be than the original folks did.

Related to that, I do have full faith in this team and what it puts out- it has not made a single game so far that I disliked. Not only was that not true going into Skyward Sword (since Spirit Tracks existed), but perhaps equally importantly, I did have initial reservations about Skyward Sword, and only fully joined the hype train when they showed off the Origins trailer for it.

Even so, there is always a first. No one can be so sure of a games quality before release. Especially when hardly any worthwhile footage is shown. It's like I said earlier, at least wait for some actual footage or news.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Maroxad said:

@charizard1605 said:

@gamersjustgame said:

@charizard1605:

Even so, there is always a first. No one can be so sure of a games quality before release. Especially when hardly any worthwhile footage is shown. It's like I said earlier, at least wait for some actual footage or news.

To be facetiously hyperbolic? Nah, I don't think that's fun.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

To be facetiously hyperbolic? Nah, I don't think that's fun.

Fair enough, haha.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#193  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

Yay!! *** tweenie drama!!!!

Edit: Please don't be mad @charizard1605 but I cracked up at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx10EZ5ljkI

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#194 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

bu-bu-but i am not done with inaba yet

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

Oh dear God my sides....HAHAHAHA

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#196 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@charizard1605:

Never played a Persona game. Why so good?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#197  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Oh it's just Persona 5. Meh. Not hyped until they significantly change the dungeons.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Maroxad

@charizard1605: Ahh understood. In that case, didn't know about your initial reservations to the game (Skyward Sword), or I forgot about them. Hype away :D

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Maroxad

@dommeus said:

@charizard1605:

Never played a Persona game. Why so good?

I know Charizard will strongly disagree with this but...

Pros

+Combat is above average for the genre. I mean... you actually do more stuff that heal and cast offensive spells
+The writing rock solid
+The cast is good. I actually did not hate more than 50% of the cast (only 49.99%:P).
+Plenty of content, the game should easily clock around 80 hours.
+For an AAA jRPG, this game is very open ended.
+If you like JPOP, you will like love the music here. If you dislike JPOP you will probably be indifferent to the soundtrack.
+Galactic Punt (Most badass move in the entire game, yes even more badass than *THAT move* chaz)
+Persona 3 punishes grinding, Persona 4 does it too, but to a lesser extent.
+Most Boss fights are excellently crafted
+Good sense of humor, especially 4
+Decent exploration of some psychological elements
+Trivia brought up in class is usually interesting, while you probably know a good chunk of it, it is interesting nonetheless
+Protagonist is a shameless Mary Sue, and the game is all the better for it.
+Non randomly generated floors were usually very well designed and memorable.

Cons

-Rise Kujikawa (Joking aside, she was the only character I disliked in P4)
-In the PS2 version of Persona 4, pacing has some serious issues and dull moments. I heard golden spiced up some things however.
-The dungeon crawling and overworld aspects could have melded together better. The relationship from social sim to dungeon crawling is excellent, but the relationship from dungeon crawling to social sim could have been a lot better, a LOT better.
-Expect to see the same few enemy models repeated throughout the entire game. And the same (extremely limited) tileset used throughout the entire dungeon.
-If you want new gear, do expect to grind to get the shopkeepers to sell the item you want in the first place.
-Randomly generated maps devoid of atmosphere and memorability.
-Combat is a step down from nocturne, as is the exploration.
-In Persona 4 there is only one battle theme and 2 boss themes. Nocturne had 6 themes for non boss battles and 7 boss battle themes iirc.
-If you played other life/social sims the social slice of life aspects in Persona will feel... lacking to say the least.
-Persona 3 on the PS2 does not allow you to control your party members
-Very limited customization over party member's abilities (big downer for a Wizardry fan like me), but I can also see what they are going for, take this as you will.
-In P4, most party members will have no elemental weaknesses.
-High school setting
-SP management issues may result in some players conserving SP to use for bosses.
-One of the bosses Shadow Teddie almost made me wanna turn off the PS2 and never Play Persona 4 again... what were they thinking with that awful boss?
-In Persona 3 you have to romance the females if you want to max social link with them. So do expect a massive harem.
-Tartarus is almost infamous for being a terrible experience.
-Persona 4 suffers from a ridiculously predictable plot, where I was able to predict who the bad guy was roughly 4-5 hours in.
-The entire game also has the atmosphere of a Scooby Doo episode.

A lot of the cons I wrote down are personal gripes, and may not bother you at all (some may even be pros for you). The list is subjective and biased and treat it as such. If the cons I brought up dont bother you much, you should buy Persona 4 asap (preferably golden), since it is easily the best entry of the later 2 personas.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#200 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@musalala said:

@cainetao11 said:

Oh dear God my sides....HAHAHAHA

Right? I cracked up at the first few comments that were posted also.