The first trailer of the future greatest game of all time

• 197 results
#51 Posted by PikachuDude860 (562 posts) -

Never played a game in this series before. Should I really be hyped? Is it really that good of a game?

#52 Posted by mems_1224 (46585 posts) -

what a garbage trailer

#53 Edited by which_wich (167 posts) -

Misleading topic; that's not an Uncharted 4 trailer

#54 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26356 posts) -

@locus-solus said:

@charizard1605: do you know if persona 5 is a sequel or will it have a original story and new characters?

Original story, new characters, some references and callbacks to previous games thrown in.

basically like the other persona games. I cant wait to see some PS4 footage.

#55 Posted by speedfog (3045 posts) -

I'll buy it for PS3 not even gonne buy a PoS4 for that.

#56 Posted by Maroxad (8088 posts) -

Never played a game in this series before. Should I really be hyped? Is it really that good of a game?

Persona 2 was a really good game, too bad the series went to crap afterwards though. Now they are basically BioWare games with obnoxious anime tropes and jPop.

#57 Edited by HernandeZzzz (149 posts) -

Xbox One and Wii U might as well just pack their bags and go home, because maybe their entire libraries put together might come close to the glory that will be Persona 5.

Between this and Bloodborne... yeah, it's over.

Gg, wp, no re.

#58 Posted by starwolf474 (558 posts) -

I wouldn't play that game even if I got it for free. JRPGs is the worst gaming genre.

#59 Posted by Gue1 (9503 posts) -

oh god, another hipster as protagonist. -__-

#60 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5602 posts) -

I can't wait!!!!!!

#61 Posted by Gue1 (9503 posts) -

My hype just dropped significantly. They were already pushing my limits with Yu but now this megane-kun is my limit. After Catherine I was really expecting better, like another cool character with a bit of personality instead of another pretentious looking one. But that must be what attracts the female audience nowadays, right?

#62 Posted by zeeshanhaider (2428 posts) -
#63 Posted by Seabas989 (10113 posts) -

Will buy day 1.

#64 Posted by farrell2k (5809 posts) -

I for sure thought this was a trailer for the upcoming WiiU Zelda. I had absolutely no idea it would be some obscure, cross-gen JRPG...

#65 Posted by wolverine4262 (19054 posts) -

Yeah, no. Maybe the TC should actually play a game.

#66 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11615 posts) -

Well, Persona 4 is one of the most overrated games of all time, so I expect this to be pretty bad as well.

#67 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8769 posts) -

I used to love RPGs a lot when I was younger. I've since grown away from them. I just rather my input have as much meaning as possible. Stats are no substitute for actual skill. That being said, I'm generalizing a lot and there are some great RPGs that balance both player agency and stats quite well.

#68 Posted by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

Doubt very highly that I will be playing this

#69 Posted by darkspineslayer (19551 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer: You say that, but while having one of the most Weeaboo parts of the game in your sig.

#itsallogrenow

#70 Posted by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

I am so happy this is coming to PS4!!

#71 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11615 posts) -

@PhazonBlazer: You say that, but while having one of the most Weeaboo parts of the game in your sig.

#itsallogrenow

Whoops...

*deletes account*

#72 Edited by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -
#73 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6200 posts) -

I don't mess around with them ching chang chong JRPGs...I prefer to shoot shit and make sure it blows the fuck up. MERICA.

#74 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3424 posts) -

@Gue1: Let's not judge by appearances, that's what leads to misconception, he may actually have a different personality/

Also, some translations from the trailer, seems the news is saying there is a bullying problem, driving accidents, murderer running around, falsified evidence, tax raises, and death in some kind of room (huh, sounds like modern Japan alright).

http://ryougasaotome.tumblr.com/post/96342506291/lots-of-interesting-stuff-here-bullying-problem

#75 Posted by Ghost120x (3739 posts) -

What turns me off of persona is the people who act like the game is the second coming of Christ. Especially, when they "most likely" only played persona 3 and every thing else after.

#76 Posted by Suppaman100 (3777 posts) -

I used to love RPGs a lot when I was younger. I've since grown away from them. I just rather my input have as much meaning as possible. Stats are no substitute for actual skill. That being said, I'm generalizing a lot and there are some great RPGs that balance both player agency and stats quite well.

But you've still not grown away from donkey kong and other Nintendo rehashes?

Anyway P5 looks great and will be a contender for best RPG of the gen.

#77 Posted by glez13 (8676 posts) -

You're nominating a Weebo game as a GOAT?

#78 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

Yes. Play 3. Play 4. Fall in love.

What turns me off of persona is the people who act like the game is the second coming of Christ. Especially, when they "most likely" only played persona 3 and every thing else after.

I have in fact played all Persona games except for Innocent Sin, which I am currently playing. I know what I'm talking about here :-)

Well, Persona 4 is one of the most overrated games of all time, so I expect this to be pretty bad as well.

Is this the sig equivalent of the Gokuface meme?

Yeah, no. Maybe the TC should actually play a game.

Sure I have. What now?

I for sure thought this was a trailer for the upcoming WiiU Zelda. I had absolutely no idea it would be some obscure, cross-gen JRPG...

Play Persona, come back to me and talk then.

@Gue1 said:

My hype just dropped significantly. They were already pushing my limits with Yu but now this megane-kun is my limit. After Catherine I was really expecting better, like another cool character with a bit of personality instead of another pretentious looking one. But that must be what attracts the female audience nowadays, right?

Are you going to judge a 100 hour RPG by how its protagonist looks in a ~1:30 minute teaser trailer? Because that sounds exceptionally smart.

#79 Posted by Seabas989 (10113 posts) -

TC was really late to the P4 bandwagon. I've been waiting for a new Persona game since 2008.

#80 Edited by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

TC was really late to the P4 bandwagon. I've been waiting for a new Persona game since 2008.

I did play Persona 4 in 2008-09, to be fair to me. I just didn't care for it before Golden :p

#81 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3805 posts) -

What even is this game? I simply haven't seen it in action. Not my type of game. But what genre is it?

#82 Posted by Maroxad (8088 posts) -

What even is this game? I simply haven't seen it in action. Not my type of game. But what genre is it?

Life sim/jRPG

#83 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

JRPG

#84 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3805 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

JRPG

So is it like real life sim or does it have some far fetched monsters in it like every other Japanese game?

#85 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

JRPG

So is it like real life sim or does it have some far fetched monsters in it like every other Japanese game?

If I said both, would you believe me?

#86 Edited by farrell2k (5809 posts) -

People talk about Nintendo being "kiddy", but when I see games like this, I have trouble imagining how anyone but tweens would want to play a game like this. I am sure the TC really enjoys it, and I am not bashing the game, but come on, man...

#87 Edited by HernandeZzzz (149 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:

To be fair, Persona 3 is one of the best games ever made, so I guess it's understandable...

#88 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

People talk about Nintendo being "kiddy", but when I see games like this, I have trouble imagining how anyone but tweens would want to play a game like this. I am sure the TC really enjoys it, and I am not bashing the game, but come on, man...

Well, considering you can perfectly imagine people playing said Nintendo games, I'm not sure why you have issues imagining people playing this, then.

Persona's rated M, btw.

#89 Posted by Seabas989 (10113 posts) -

Well to be fair Nocturne bored me to sleep (SMTIV on the other hand was more entertaining).

#90 Posted by Bigboi500 (29347 posts) -

I can't understand why some people think certain games are only for/enjoyed by certain demographics. That's like saying a 30 yo mechanic can only enjoy movies, books and games about 30 yo mechanics, or only 7' black men can enjoy the NBA.

Are people really that myopic with a lack of imagination, or they just be trollin'?

#91 Posted by cainetao11 (16898 posts) -

I hear you. I cant for the life of me get into the anime art style, and absolutely hate turn based combat. Press button watch characters do things, then stand wait for enemy to hit me? Goes against every natural instinct I have. Since this thread went up I have been reading a lot about the persona games, watching gameplay videos. These kinds of games put me to sleep. But a lot of people thought RDR was boring, where as I fuckin loved it.

#92 Posted by lundy86_4 (43010 posts) -

Coming to PS4? Hnnnng! I have no real reason to keep my PS3/360 around now, so this makes me happy.

#93 Posted by MrYaotubo (2637 posts) -

I´d be into that if I was a weeaboo.

#94 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26356 posts) -

Play P3 FES and play P4 Golden if you have a vita. If dont have a vita just play the ps2 version. My personal favorite is 3 but both are great. Side note DONT PLAY PERSONA 1. Dear god is that game outdated and slow as heck. I hear good things about P2 though.

#95 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1385 posts) -

@charizard1605: Oh boy. Now i'm starting to get it. I saw the girl in your avatar on another Neogaf avatar but with 2 other girls. It's form Persona 4, right?

Since i've never played the Shin Megami series, does Persona revolve around a high school/ university male student who has different types of characters with whom he can interact with, many of which are a harem of girls whom he can enter romance options with, including your avatar?

And does the game mix turn based and real time action based combat elements? Despite the sarcastic tone, i am serious about my question. It's just that a life sim/RPG hybrid would explain the immense popularity it seems to have in japan

And the guy's look? Eh, i'm going to have go with Gue1 abit. Seriously, it's basically the male version of the pink hair taste that's become somewhat popular that i can remember has far has Lacus from Gundam Seed. *cough* Lightning

#96 Posted by Bigboi500 (29347 posts) -

I´d be into that if I was hardcore.

fixed

#97 Posted by lamprey263 (23190 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

No next gen version is annoying.

I hope they laregely improve the dungeon crawling from now on

the trailer does reveal that it's coming to the PS4

#98 Posted by inb4uall (5358 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:
@R3FURBISHED said:

Just? Destiny trailer came out a while ago

lol

Why not? You make a completely ridiculous claim, so I counter.

Something here to be said about opinions and assholes...

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Yours just happens to be ridiculously wrong. Destiny was waaaaaaaaaay overhyped.

#99 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

@charizard1605: Oh boy. Now i'm starting to get it. I saw the girl in your avatar on another Neogaf avatar but with 2 other girls. It's form Persona 4, right?

Since i've never played the Shin Megami series, does Persona revolve around a high school/ university male student who has different types of characters with whom he can interact with, many of which are a harem of girls whom he can enter romance options with, including your avatar?

And does the game mix turn based and real time action based combat elements? Despite the sarcastic tone, i am serious about my question. It's just that a life sim/RPG hybrid would explain the immense popularity it seems to have in japan

And the guy's look? Eh, i'm going to have go with Gue1 abit. Seriously, it's basically the male version of the pink hair taste that's become somewhat popular that i can remember has far has Lacus from Gundam Seed. *cough* Lightning

It's a JRPG with life sim elements. The best way to describe Persona is to take Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and The Sims, and imagining an unholy love child between the three of them. It has the best elements from all of them.

A common misconception is that Persona is Shin Megami Tensei- it is not SMT, it has never been SMT, it is its own thing, its own series. That said, it shares multiple themes and character designs with that series. What I am trying to say is, what I tell you about Persona in no way applies to Shin Megami Tensei at all (and vice versa).

So Persona follows a group of high school students- there are usually two aspects to the game, dungeon crawling (which also includes turn based battling, albeit with a twist), and the regular high school life simulation, where you hang out with your friends, develop bonds with them, become friends, join clubs and sports teams, go watch a movie, get a part time job, and sure, yes, maybe date a girl (or all of them). Both these parts are intertwined, what you do in the former affects the latter, and vice versa.

The dungeon crawling and RPG elements provide the narrative framework and main story for the games, which are usually highly provocative and metaphysical, dealing with questions such as existentialism, mortality, morality, a universal truth and its value to society, the individual versus the society (and the other way around), Jungian psychology, and much, much more. The social sim aspects work for some of the lighter moments in the game, and also work to provide some incredible character development, which is probably Persona's greatest strength.

All said and done, it's an unlikely synergy that works as an overall package to deliver an amazing experience. It has charming graphics, incredible stories, unmatched characterization, some of the best soundtracks in gaming, some pretty neat and compelling gameplay, and oodles and oodles of style. There is also, quite literally, nothing else like it on the market

#100 Posted by charizard1605 (56065 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

No next gen version is annoying.

I hope they laregely improve the dungeon crawling from now on

??? They announced it for PS4