The Facts Regarding 3DO and PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

The important ones anyway...

"Despite a highly-promoted launch and a host of cutting-edge technologies, the system's high price ($699.95 USD at release) and an over-saturated console market prevented the 3DO from ever achieving any real market penetration."

"For a significant period of the products life cycle, 3DO's official stance on pricing was that the 3DO was not a video game console, it was a high-end audio-visual system and was priced accordingly, so no price adjustment was needed."

Take that with a grain of salt as its from Wikipedia. Striking parallels, though.

snakeofsolid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 snakeofsolid
Member since 2005 • 2140 Posts
but this logic fails, since sony has penetrated the industry, and has planted roots, many, but some of those are starting to loosen, the 3D0  was a new company and new attempt on their behalf, sony has already placed themselves on the map.
deathmasterk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deathmasterk
Member since 2006 • 716 Posts

ps3 is DOOMED!!!

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
Well, the PS3 offers more features and is less expensive. Then you add inflation into the mix and the whole comparison goes down the drain.
Chu-Fye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Chu-Fye
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts
Yes, I actually see a second 3DO
Avatar image for machitocaliente
machitocaliente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 machitocaliente
Member since 2007 • 832 Posts
PS3 = 3DO IS THE 3 CURSE
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
i still think it is the next 3DO. been thinking that for awhile now. great product, not the the right time.
SoulKillah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 SoulKillah
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
but this logic fails, since sony has penetrated the industry, and has planted roots, many, but some of those are starting to loosen, the 3D0 was a new company and new attempt on their behalf, sony has already placed themselves on the map.snakeofsolid
I agree...
Me_Ur_Daddy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Me_Ur_Daddy_
Member since 2007 • 441 Posts
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145154
meischris39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#10 meischris39
Member since 2004 • 5432 Posts

"Despite a highly-promoted launch and a host of cutting-edge technologies, the system's high price ($699.95 USD at release) and an over-saturated console market prevented the 3DO from ever achieving any real market penetration."

"For a significant period of the products life cycle, 3DO's official stance on pricing was that the 3DO was not a video game console, it was a high-end audio-visual system and was priced accordingly, so no price adjustment was needed."

Take that with a grain of salt as its from Wikipedia. Striking parallels, though.

gromit007
You could also draw huge parallels between the 360 and the dreamcast, remember how that turned out.
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
[QUOTE="gromit007"]

meischris39
You could also draw huge parallels between the 360 and the dreamcast, remember how that turned out.

that really is a good point. i dont see 360 devs dropping out tho, at least not in the somewhat forseeable future. you think this is happening?
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts

but this logic fails, since sony has penetrated the industry, and has planted roots, many, but some of those are starting to loosen, the 3D0  was a new company and new attempt on their behalf, sony has already placed themselves on the map.snakeofsolid

By your reasoning, then; Sony has no chance as they have thrust the PS3 into a fertile market at a higher price-point than its competitors. One of those competitors (ironically) is itself. The PS2 sells very well still. Sony cannot win in this market with the PS3 going against the (cheaper) Wii, PS2, and 360.

S0DA_POPINSKI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 S0DA_POPINSKI
Member since 2006 • 1582 Posts
[QUOTE="gromit007"]

meischris39

i agree except for the fact that the 360 is getting tons of multiplats with the PS3. No EA killed DC
Kizzle28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 Kizzle28
Member since 2004 • 796 Posts
There are some striking similarities, but that hardly means the PS3 will go belly-up like the 3D0 did. Sony has already established a market for the past decade, so it's not like Sony's game division will collapse because of the PS3. However, ties have been severed, trusts have been shaken, and now Sony is on the brink of losing their dominance in the industry...already. I personally thought it would take 2-3 years, but the way the Wii and 360 are selling, Sony is poised to lose alot of market share.

I don't think the PS3 will just die like the 3D0 did, but I do think that Sony will (and already has) lost alot of customers, developer support, and money. I still think the PS3 will sell a decent amount of units. But overall, it seems this generation is one of change and the Wii and 360 are the beneficiaries of this new fortune.
NVIDIAholic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NVIDIAholic
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
But overall, it seems this generation is one of change and the Wii and 360 are the beneficiaries of this new fortune.Kizzle28

I hear this time and time again but since when did the first year of next-gen establish anything? The Wii and X360 are doing very well and that's a fact. Another fact is that the PS3 is selling about as good as X360 did at this point in time last year (even without Europe). By that indication, the Wii is going to smoke the competition.

But what lies ahead is what determines the make-it-or-break-it. Price cuts and major exclusives. You have way over 100 million last gen gamers out there (and I know what the majority preferred) so don't tell me you can sit there and talk about beneficiaries of new fortune with roughly 15 million gamers on tap so far. It doesn't add up. Someone out there is waiting. For what? Only time will tell.
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
The 3DO sold about 6 million units and had less than 70 games during it's lifespan.

I'll be sure to let you know when the Playstation 3 breaks both of those barriers. Why, GameSpot even lists 242 games released for, in development, or announced for the Playstation 3.

So are you telling me that around 170 games are going to get cancelled? :lol:

TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TekkenMaster606
Let's not forget the fact that the 3DO was manufactured by companies that didn't even see any cash from the sale of games. Goldstar (LG) and Panasonic were not getting paid everytime a piece of software sold. They had to make their money on the sale of the hardware.

You should know that the 3DO continually sold at a price point above the cost to manufacture it.
castlevaniaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 castlevaniaX
Member since 2004 • 547 Posts
but this logic fails, since sony has penetrated the industry, and has planted roots, many, but some of those are starting to loosen, the 3D0  was a new company and new attempt on their behalf, sony has already placed themselves on the map.snakeofsolid
you are % 100 right. For Post creator, please..study the market before posting.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
$699 would be like paying a grand today at least. And for what exactly ? I don't remember any games for that system other than that craptacular Zelda game.

I could probably list 20 reasons why the 3do failed and why the ps3 won't but I am sure it is pretty obvious to 95% of the people here so I won't bother.

zzzaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zzzaaa
Member since 2003 • 616 Posts
Do you know how much $700 was in 1993?  Alot more than $600 is in 2007.
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TekkenMaster606
$699 would be like paying a grand today at least. And for what exactly ? I don't remember any games for that system other than that craptacular Zelda game.

I could probably list 20 reasons why the 3do failed and why the ps3 won't but I am sure it is pretty obvious to 95% of the people here so I won't bother.

Nike_Air

Craptacular Zelda was on the Philips CDi. Another crappy console.
GloverD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GloverD
Member since 2004 • 1555 Posts
Topic Fails its 599 not 699
Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Truewiseblade
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts
the probem with that parallel is that the PS3 still has its name to rely on. the 3Do was an overpriced unknown that was simply ovrlooked because Nintendo and Sega just had much better reputations.
Tony_aaaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tony_aaaa
Member since 2007 • 475 Posts

To me, the PS3 is not like the 3DO.

The PS3 (Cell media processor + Blue-Ray) is more a next-gen version of the NUON. 

Unlike Nuon, PS3 can play games well enough to succeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuon

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
[QUOTE="Nike_Air"]$699 would be like paying a grand today at least. And for what exactly ? I don't remember any games for that system other than that craptacular Zelda game.

TekkenMaster606

Craptacular Zelda was on the Philips CDi. Another crappy console.

Hahahahaha ..... my bad. See , I didn't even know what crap system had which crap games.

fartgorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 fartgorilla
Member since 2005 • 785 Posts
but this logic fails, since sony has penetrated the industry, and has planted roots, many, but some of those are starting to loosen, the 3D0 was a new company and new attempt on their behalf, sony has already placed themselves on the map.snakeofsolid
Yeah, isn't that obvious? Sony is SONY. They're ubiquitous. They were one of the most well-known and respected electronics companies for over twenty years before they stepped in to the console market -- and they made the two best-selling consoles of all time. There's no comparison -- none. Sony OWNS the console market. The ps3 may only be learning to walk, but the ps2 is still kicking MS's butt. So even though they're losing money on the ps3 they're making a killing on their old console, and they're not going to go belly up.