The Examiner Reviews MGS: Ground Zeroes (1/5)

• 144 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (56840 posts) -
#2 Posted by TigerSuperman (2241 posts) -

What are you talking about He needs to create plot holes to cover all his plot holes.

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (56840 posts) -
#5 Posted by arkephonic (6279 posts) -

I'm an old man at the age of 29, but anyone my age remembers when Konami and Capcom were Gods, particularly during the SNES era. It's crazy how those 2 companies have fallen.

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (39972 posts) -

I'm an old man at the age of 29

Really, really old.

#7 Posted by TigerSuperman (2241 posts) -

I'm an old man at the age of 29, but anyone my age remembers when Konami and Capcom were Gods, particularly during the SNES era. It's crazy how those 2 companies have fallen.

No I remember Capcom being pretty good, and Konami being bad getting away with saying "This game was hard on purpose" and making people believe they made good games, even in spite of the numerous graphical and gameplay bugs/glitches in some of their games. Konami got better after 1995.

#8 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13806 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Kojima's scam of a game, the glorified forty minute tech demo priced at a ridiculous $30, has started getting its first reviews and it is getting slammed left, right, and center. The Examiner managed to post a review, and they gave it 1/5, calling the game a scam.

Way to squander all your goodwill, Kojima. Should have just exited while you were on top.

That wasn't a review O.o

Rating right at the top.

yeah but a sole rating doesn't make it a viable review.

#9 Edited by freedomfreak (39972 posts) -

Did that dude just spoil the game?

#10 Edited by charizard1605 (56840 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:
@charizard1605 said:

Kojima's scam of a game, the glorified forty minute tech demo priced at a ridiculous $30, has started getting its first reviews and it is getting slammed left, right, and center. The Examiner managed to post a review, and they gave it 1/5, calling the game a scam.

Way to squander all your goodwill, Kojima. Should have just exited while you were on top.

That wasn't a review O.o

Rating right at the top.

yeah but a sole rating doesn't make it a viable review.

It's as viable a review as you will get for a game that can be completed in 20 minutes.

#11 Posted by GhoX (4865 posts) -

That's not a real review. It's just bullshit.

The reviewer claims that the game is one level long. That is false.

#12 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3535 posts) -

I'll be surprised if this actually gets good reviews.

#13 Posted by freedomfreak (39972 posts) -
@GhoX said:

This too. I heard it was 3 missions.

#14 Posted by charizard1605 (56840 posts) -

@GhoX said:

It is supposed to be one level long- that's what all the previews have said as well :|

#15 Posted by arkephonic (6279 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

No I remember Capcom being pretty good, and Konami being bad getting away with saying "This game was hard on purpose" and making people believe they made good games, even in spite of the numerous graphical and gameplay bugs/glitches in some of their games. Konami got better after 1995.

You have gotta be kidding me.

Pre-1995:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: The Manhattan Project

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time

Contra

Super C

Contra 3: The Alien Wars

Gradius 3

Sunset Riders

These are all time greats and the Contra games are hard but not cheap. I can beat all the Contra games with no codes. There's a difference between dying in a game because you aren't good vs dying from game breaking flaws in design.

#16 Posted by MonsieurX (29975 posts) -

Best on PS4

#goty2014 confirmed

#17 Posted by Big_Pecks (5266 posts) -
@GhoX said:

This too. I heard it was 3 missions.

That doesn't make it sound better.

#18 Posted by brimmul777 (1179 posts) -

Best on PS4

#goty2014 confirmed

I would'nt go that far,game of the year up to this point goes to Titanfall.

#19 Posted by freedomfreak (39972 posts) -

That doesn't make it sound better.

Ah, it is one mission according to the previews I just read.

Still, dude just flat-out spoils the game.

#20 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2933 posts) -

Finally some honest review .

#21 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8530 posts) -

OMG, that slo-mo. What a shit idea. And some people thought Splinter Cell Conviction executions were bad. This makes them look amazing. By the way, they were never bad to begin with. The game looks like shit too. Anyway, I'm glad the reviewers so far call the spade a spade.

#22 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

To be honest, i find paying £30 for this game disturbing, it is basicly a DLC and should be priced at such, £10

#23 Edited by Heil68 (43933 posts) -

I'm just going to gamefly it.

#24 Edited by lamprey263 (23490 posts) -

he beat it in 25 minutes... must have skipped the epic cutscenes, should have lasted him 10 hours

#25 Posted by speedfog (3112 posts) -

@GhoX said:

It is one level. But you can unlock some other side missions: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-05-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-preview

#26 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8530 posts) -

@speedfog said:

@GhoX said:

It is one level. But you can unlock some other side missions: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-05-metal-gear-solid-ground-zeroes-preview

There are two side-missions, each exclusive for each console. The conditions for unlocking those levels aren't even clear to begin with. Of course this review is LEGIT. #dealwithit

#27 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3749 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

@arkephonic said:

Pre-1995:

Contra

Super C

Gradius 3

Sunset Riders

These are all time greats and the Contra games are hard but not cheap. I can beat all the Contra games with no codes. There's a difference between dying in a game because you aren't good vs dying from game breaking flaws in design.

I agree.

Konami had a BUNCH of great titles. A few of the ones you listed are EASILY in my top 100 of al time list. The difficulty level of some of the games was worth learning because of how good the games were. I beat every game on that list multiple times with perhaps the exception being Gradius... I cant remember if I ever finished that game or not...

I have actually beat Contra and Super C with the controller upside down and behind my back without losing a life.... I doubt I could do that on many other games.... I played those two so many times I can tell you exactly what is going to happen all the way through the games... lol

#28 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17347 posts) -

systemwars, home of the most legitimate sources of game reviews and statistics

#29 Posted by arkephonic (6279 posts) -

@arkephonic said:
@TigerSuperman said:

@arkephonic said:

Pre-1995:

Contra

Super C

Gradius 3

Sunset Riders

I agree.

Konami had a BUNCH of great titles. A few of the ones you listed are EASILY in my top 100 of al time list. The difficulty level of some of the games was worth learning because of how good the games were. I beat every game on that list multiple times with perhaps the exception being Gradius... I cant remember if I ever finished that game or not...

I have actually beat Contra and Super C with the controller upside down and behind my back without losing a life.... I doubt I could do that on many other games.... I played those two so many times I can tell you exactly what is going to happen all the way through the games... lol

That's pretty freaking sweet, dude. They're some of my favorite games of all time as well. I own every game I listed and have beaten them all multiple times as well, although I haven't beaten any of them with an upside down controller behind my back :P

#30 Posted by yokofox33 (29508 posts) -

Yikes. Confirmed 2/10 would not bang on GS?

#31 Edited by Crossel777 (5595 posts) -

Can't believe Kojima would fall this low as to milk us like this. What a shame.

Not to mention this game looks nothing like a metal gear game but a heavily casualized call of duty experience.

#32 Posted by CloudStrife213 (427 posts) -

Just to let you know, the Examiner is a user based news website, where any user can submit an article. Anybody can sign up to be a user. Do not be fooled by the Examiner, it is a blogging site.

#33 Posted by g0ddyX (3911 posts) -

Just to let you know, the Examiner is a user based news website, where any user can submit an article. Anybody can sign up to be a user. Do not be fooled by the Examiner, it is a blogging site.

This and MGS:GZ is a set up for the next metal gear game.
AVOID THE REVIEW SINCE IT HAS MASSIVE SPOILERS.
No major reviews are out yet.

#34 Posted by Ghost120x (3791 posts) -

I don't know what's real anymore. I'm starting to have doubts about my faith to the great godjima. Have all the mgs games I been playing, been a lie?

:(

#35 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3749 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom said:

@arkephonic said:
@TigerSuperman said:

@arkephonic said:

Pre-1995:

Contra

Super C

Gradius 3

Sunset Riders

I agree.

That's pretty freaking sweet, dude. They're some of my favorite games of all time as well. I own every game I listed and have beaten them all multiple times as well, although I haven't beaten any of them with an upside down controller behind my back :P

Yeah that whole upside down behind my back thing started as a challenge a long time ago from a kid I used to know that said it was impossible. I took the challenge and fine tuned it throughout the years until I could beat both that way without losing a life. It has been a long time sine I have even attempted it though.

#36 Edited by Ballroompirate (22742 posts) -

Got to love all of these no named reviewers popping up, seriously if I'm ever gonna actually gonna go by a review to decide if I'm gonna buy a game or not it's not gonna be from a no named reviewer that I've just heard of.

#37 Posted by Wiimotefan (4075 posts) -

There are two side-missions, each exclusive for each console. The conditions for unlocking those levels aren't even clear to begin with. Of course this review is LEGIT. #dealwithit

5 side missions actually. All unlocked after playing the main mission with the exception of the platform exclusive missions. Those require you finding the XOF patches scattered throughout the world.

Not a legit review unless you also consider the random bickering of SW posters to qualify as legit reviews.

Can't believe Kojima would fall this low as to milk us like this. What a shame.

Not to mention this game looks nothing like a metal gear game but a heavily casualized call of duty experience.

Not really. Toughest MGS so far. No more camo crutch like the past few games and no more blind, docile enemies. The stealth is more challenging than it's ever been and when you get caught, the enemies do not play.

Anyways, I finally got to play the game yesterday for about 5 hours. Lots of fun and I'll be picking up a copy on Tuesday. It plays so damn good! It has the responsive and smooth feel of MGS2, but with the breadth of mechanics from MGS3/MGS4 minus the slow clunky feel. It's like they took the best aspects of MGS and SC gameplay, trimmed the fat, polished them up, and made the best military stealth gameplay to date.

It also seems Kojima stepped up his story telling, or finally hired a competent editor. No more bloated nonsense, everything is to the point. Surprisingly, nothing made me cringe. All well acted and voiced. Telling the story through the environment and optional tapes is really cool too.

I imagine the split on perceived value will be like every MGS to come before it. You always have those people that rush straight from point a to point b and then complain the game is short. Then you have people like me that like to see everything the game has to offer and end up playing it multiple times over.

In my 5 hours I came away with just over 20% completion.

#38 Posted by clyde46 (45953 posts) -

To be honest, i find paying £30 for this game disturbing, it is basicly a DLC and should be priced at such, £10

Nah, rental at best. Stick it on your Lovefilm list.

#39 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

LOL, you having a dig at MGS mate. I guess Kojima did say it would have less cutscenes in comparison to MGS4

#40 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16428 posts) -

@arkephonic said:

I'm an old man at the age of 29

Really, really old.

Why aren't you in a nursing home yet arkephonic ?

#41 Posted by clyde46 (45953 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

LOL, you having a dig at MGS mate. I guess Kojima did say it would have less cutscenes in comparison to MGS4

"having a dig"? Lol no. I love MGS but paying £30 for a glorified tech demo is something I'm not going to take sitting down.

#42 Edited by uninspiredcup (8262 posts) -

The score every Metal Gear title deserved. Most excellent.

#43 Posted by Wiimotefan (4075 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Cutscenes in this game only bookend the missions. The main mission in GZ has one at the beginning and one at the end. The ending cutscene is less than 10 minutes, credits roll included.

#44 Posted by Wiimotefan (4075 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

"having a dig"? Lol no. I love MGS but paying £30 for a glorified tech demo is something I'm not going to take sitting down.

Have you ever paid $60 for a game that lasted around 24-30 hours?

#45 Posted by clyde46 (45953 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Now that you ask, not recently.

#46 Posted by Wiimotefan (4075 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Wiimotefan said:

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

@clyde46 said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

Now that you ask, not recently.

Well that does tend to be a good length for most stealth and action games.

My point is that $20 for 8 or more hours of gameplay isn't bad. Maybe it's not something you would be interested in, but it's no tech demo either.

#47 Posted by Roler42 (696 posts) -

So blog posts with blatant spoilers and barely any details now count as reviews...

#48 Edited by blangenakker (2287 posts) -

Apparently making a demo for is expensive these days. I call BS

#49 Posted by silversix_ (14252 posts) -

Very nice. I hope this gets a 3/10 on GS, 40 minutes games is not what i want to see this gen where is supposed to be bigger and better than previous gens.,

#50 Posted by Animal-Mother (26739 posts) -

EDIT: Er, wait, it might have spoilers, so read it at your own risk.

The man makes one mistake and he's squandered all his goodwill? What?