The Evolution of the XBone & PS4

#1 Edited by OhSnapitz (18111 posts) -

If you recall when the Xbox 360 and PS3 launched they were pretty "bare bones".. The UI's were very basic in scope and the overall box functionality was lacking.

Fast forward 5-6 years and both boxes received major upgrades in streamlining and options. From upgraded Wifi functionality to HHD saves to Cloud service.

My question is what upgrades do you foresee with these new fangled boxes?

#2 Edited by TheRealBigRich (726 posts) -

the Change Xbox made seems to be pretty drastic but I got to say I never saw my ps3 UI really change since I got it though . Im not sure what changes they could think of now they seem pretty good as is

#3 Posted by Blabadon (25941 posts) -

I hope Sony fixes the PS4's UI fast. This is three systems in a row with substandard UIs, although I've become quite used to the PS3's XMB in the past six years. But the Vita's and PS4's UI are just so cluttered and unclean at times.

#4 Edited by OhSnapitz (18111 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

I hope Sony fixes the PS4's UI fast. This is three systems in a row with substandard UIs, although I've become quite used to the PS3's XMB in the past six years. But the Vita's and PS4's UI are just so cluttered and unclean at times.

..Maybe I'm just a Noob to the PS brand UI (although I did own a PS3/PSP for a bit), but I really don't like the navigation. There should be a more condensed way of selecting software/Movies/Music ect..

#5 Posted by lostrib (34512 posts) -

I just wish PSN wasn't so laggy on PS3

#6 Posted by Pray_to_me (2834 posts) -

Shitbox third needs to just die.

#7 Edited by Indicud (739 posts) -

@lostrib: this x100000

If you have a smartphone browse the ps store from the app and download directly to your ps3

#8 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (5815 posts) -

They start by letting you play local content in your network, like music, and movies.

#9 Posted by OhSnapitz (18111 posts) -

@Indicud said:

@lostrib: this x100000

If you have a smartphone browse the ps store from the app and download directly to your ps3

But that doesn't really help the PS3's UI.

#10 Posted by finalstar2007 (24957 posts) -
#11 Posted by santoron (7692 posts) -

I guess my standards are low, but I generally don't have issues with console UIs and features. As long as I can get in my games quickly I'm ok.

My biggest wish for PS4 is that we see disc based PSOne and PS2 BC that works with Remote play. We know Sony has (somewhat) working emulators for both on the PS4, but I don't know if they will ever release, or if they'll support RP on Vita. If it happens I'll be thrilled.

If I were to guess on short term additions I'd say increased media functionality will be coming to both systems, along with basic UI improvements that should've probably been there on day one, but whatever. You'll also see them working to finish missing/promised/buggy UI features ASAP. Once they have those settled it's going to depend on what the community is groaning the loudest about, I imagine.

#12 Posted by OhSnapitz (18111 posts) -

@santoron said:

I guess my standards are low, but I generally don't have issues with console UIs and features. As long as I can get in my games quickly I'm ok.

My biggest wish for PS4 is that we see disc based PSOne and PS2 BC that works with Remote play. We know Sony has (somewhat) working emulators for both on the PS4, but I don't know if they will ever release, or if they'll support RP on Vita. If it happens I'll be thrilled.

If I were to guess on short term additions I'd say increased media functionality will be coming to both systems, along with basic UI improvements that should've probably been there on day one, but whatever. You'll also see them working to finish missing/promised/buggy UI features ASAP. Once they have those settled it's going to depend on what the community is groaning the loudest about, I imagine.

...Home maybe? lol

#13 Edited by SolidTy (42450 posts) -

I see the Xbone UI getting a big overhaul now that Kinectless Xbones are in the wild. It's bad when the 360 is easier to navigate than the Xbone. Even simple things like looking at achievements feels slow like an app loading up.