The Evil Within

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

Everyone keeps babbling on about Titanfall, Infamous, etc.

What about The Evil Within? When the hell was the last time we had a legit, old school survival horror game? Dead Space is the only thing that can even come close.

Resident Evil has turned into an action series over the past 10 years, Silent Hill is fucking awful now, and Alone in the Dark is dead and buried.

My two most anticipated upcoming gamed: The Evil Within and The Division

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Silent hill can be very hit or miss. While downpour was an interesting step in the right direction it miffed a lot of gameplay mechanics and other things.

Resident evil will always hold a special place in my heart but the series is in serious decline. Especially after the crap fest 6 was.

The Evil Within is Mikami kinda of returning to a place where I personally think he belongs.

He's learned a lot in the years past with Shadows of the damned and Vanquish. I'm sure the evil within will be really great. I know i'm looking forward to it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

My friend, the sad news is, consoles can't do survival horror. Only the pc is capable of this thanks to indie gaming. And even old titles like Resident Evil, they are laughable compared to System Shock 2.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Animal-Mother

@uninspiredcup said:

My friend, the sad news is, consoles can't do survival horror. Only the pc is capable of this thanks to indie gaming. And even old titles like Resident Evil, they are laughable compared to System Shock 2.

Yeah that's why they call mikami the grandfather of survival horror........ Also no sad news for me. I get to play an awesome game by an awesome developer.

Have fun missing out old man!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Yeah that's why they call mikami the grandfather of survival horror..

Which is factually wrong. He just ripped off Alone in The Dark. A pc game for men and inventor of the genre.

I'm sick of having to be forced to educate console gamers, do your dam research.

Legend500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Legend500
Member since 2013 • 149 Posts

Can't get excited until I find out how the game is structured. I'm absolutely f*cking sick of level based games and in survival horror it just doesn't cut it. I want big areas like Resident Evil where I get to backtrack and move around the world freely.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Animal-Mother

@uninspiredcup said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Which is factually wrong. He just ripped off Alone in The Dark. A pc game for men and inventor of the genre.

I'm sick of having to be forced to educate console gamers, do your dam research.

I did you didn't.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mikami+Grandfather+of+survival+horro&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS437US437&oq=Mikami+Grandfather+of+survival+horro&aqs=chrome..69i57.6979j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=93&espv=210&q=Mikami+Grandfather+of+survival+horror&spell=1

Can you name the director from alone in the dark without looking it up?

Also shut your damn mouth you fool

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bigcrash5

You make yourself look more idiotic by the day.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup

I have yet to be proven wrong. Also these links could be viruses, so I'm not clicking them.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Animal-Mother

@uninspiredcup said:

I have yet to be proven wrong. Also these links could be viruses, so I'm not clicking them.

Instantly proven wrong. You also have yet to prove yourself right....

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Stick to your old self, have some prune juice and go knit you twit.

Here's some, go be butthurt in a corner somewhere.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The game can be half as good as Resident Evil 4 and it would be really good. I'm excited for it. Shinji going out guns blazing. Believe.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Survival horror, inject it into my veins.

Hoping someone picks up the mantle to have the guts to dev a new next gen Silent Hill game too. Hopefully a Japanese dev though as Western devs have no idea about horror it seems.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I think I'll get it. It may turn out good.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Animal-Mother

@TheGuardian03 said:

The last demo they showed it looked like shit, the shooting looked bad, and it was so linear, more than Uncharted.

I believe in Shenji (Shenji means believe in japanese lol ) but i had doubts after the last demo so i'm gonna wait until i see more to have proper judgement on it.

I would assume that bethesda is/was (not 100% sure) probably pushing Mikami to get something together to show at trade shows.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

The game can be half as good as Resident Evil 4 and it would be really good. I'm excited for it. Shinji going out guns blazing. Believe.

All I want is for it to be half as good as RE4, which will still make it the best game of the year it releases.

On the other hand, dude hasn't been as good lately. We shall see.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Animal-Mother

@DarkLink77 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

All I want is for it to be half as good as RE4, which will still make it the best game of the year it releases.

What makes you think that? Vanquish or shadows of the damned?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

What makes you think that? Vanquish or shadows of the damned?

Either. Neither of those titles stacks up to RE4. They're not bad games, but... I dunno. Hard to believe it's the same guy.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

@Legend500 said:

Can't get excited until I find out how the game is structured. I'm absolutely f*cking sick of level based games and in survival horror it just doesn't cut it. I want big areas like Resident Evil where I get to backtrack and move around the world freely.

Amen, well said...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Nonsense. Capcom's Sweet Home, a survival horror for the NES console, came out years before Alone in the Dark. And it was Sweet Home that Mikami originally intended to remake as Resident Evil, although I have no doubt he borrowed some ideas from Alone in the Dark along the way, some good and some bad...*cough* tank controls *cough*

NoirLamia777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NoirLamia777
Member since 2012 • 3180 Posts

I'm really looking forward to The Evil Within, do we have a release date?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Nonsense. Capcom's Sweet Home, a survival horror for the NES console, came out years before Alone in the Dark. And it was Sweet Home that Mikami originally intended to remake as Resident Evil, although I have no doubt he borrowed some ideas from Alone in the Dark along the way, some good and some bad...*cough* tank controls *cough*

Not a 3d survival horror title. And 2d games on older systems outdate the nes. Nice try though sonny.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Actually Sweet Home is a game that only people that PRETEND to be KNOWLEDGEABLE bring up. There was a real masterpiece of a visionary groundbreaking survival horror released earlier the same year, on Commodore 64. It was published by Electronic Arts and its name was Project Firestart, which was heavily inspired by Alien / Aliens. It was so complex, visionary and full of groundbreaking cutscenes that it came on 4 disks / cassettes! The survival aspect of the game was amazing - there were multiple ways to kill the enemies, not necessarily using firearms, because when you breached the hull in certain parts, that was game over for you. The game was also non-linear with different endings and encounters in-between, and its narrative was unveiled through text logs just like in modern games like BioShock or Dead Space.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

When i saw the prison part i instantly thought it'll be a crappy title i wouldn't even bother trying, that was before E3. Less than a month ago i've checked the village part for the first time and hole F! Visuals are last gen but it does look like a great horror title

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Mikami = InstaBuy.

Probably my most looked forward to next gen release. That, or the Phantom Pain.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Salt_The_Fries

By the way, of course Alone in the Dark was a groundbreaking survival horror classic that helped the genre take a modern form that was replicated by others ad nauseum. Another pillar of cinematic horror adventure games was BioForge released in 1995 by Origin Systems. It was the first game ever to implement motion capture by the way. I played all those games by the way (including Project Firestart), and finished Alone in the Dark 1 & 2, I'm a pro, I know what I'm talking about. I don't pretend to look up some games on the internet to look cool. BTW, there's also a very nice survival horror adventure/RPG/FPP hybrid - Realms of the Haunting from 1996 by Gremlin Interactive, also worth a look.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Salt_The_Fries

Project Firestart >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sweet Home. Project Firestart is an action-adventure game and purest originator of survival horror, not just elements. It was PURE SURVIVAL HORROR, period. Sweet Home was an RPG whatever way you look at it. AND IT'S A FACT!

And the guy behind Alone in the Dark is Frédérick Raynal, I know this name without looking up. French developers, like those from Delphine Software or Infogrames, or other companies were household names back in 1990s PC journalist scene, and I already paid some serious attention to those names back then, that's why I'll remember them forever.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

There's nothing at all on PC that would prevent the consoles from experiencing Survival Horror games. RE was great back in the day, even after you play system shock.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

What about The Evil Within? When the hell was the last time we had a legit, old school survival horror game? Dead Space is the only thing that can even come close.

Resident Evil has turned into an action series over the past 10 years, Silent Hill is fucking awful now, and Alone in the Dark is dead and buried.

I am looking forward to that game, too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Joedgabe said:

@uninspiredcup said:

There's nothing at all on PC that would prevent the consoles from experiencing Survival Horror games. RE was great back in the day, even after you play system shock.

My chumling, publishers think you only want to play call of duty. That's console gaming now.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I just hope it has lots of freedom and exploration, good combat mechanics, and is scary. From video I've seen the sections seem on rails linear but that could just be because they were important story sections and many survival horror games have them. Sure it seems people have been ignoring this game but at the same time the developers haven't been throwing gamers any red meat.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

I have a horrible sinking feeling that the game will disappoint, like Darklink I want to believe. I hope it's not just the same old stuff that we've seen in RE4. I mean sure the game is fantastic but I don't want a retread

Legend500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Legend500
Member since 2013 • 149 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Joedgabe said:

@uninspiredcup said:

My chumling, publishers think you only want to play call of duty. That's console gaming now.

Jog on mate, you've been destroyed many's a time in this thread alone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#34 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

As a Mikami fan that thinks he actually was the greater talent at Capcom Clover/Platinum and not Kamyia, I'm really, REALLY, interested to see more of the game. Seems pretty great thus far

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Joedgabe said:

@uninspiredcup said:

This is something i never quite understood. I know CoD has influenced a lot of MP games but i don't think COD was the beginning of the health regen cheap cover based system 2 weapon FPS games that has taken FPS down a lot.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Well with remake we know he can do good horror atmosphere. Lets hope he can do it with this since he failed on that front with RE4.RE4 was still a good action game though.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

Silent hill can be very hit or miss. While downpour was an interesting step in the right direction it miffed a lot of gameplay mechanics and other things.

Resident evil will always hold a special place in my heart but the series is in serious decline. Especially after the crap fest 6 was.

The Evil Within is Mikami kinda of returning to a place where I personally think he belongs.

He's learned a lot in the years past with Shadows of the damned and Vanquish. I'm sure the evil within will be really great. I know i'm looking forward to it.

What did you think of shattered memories? I personally loved it and felt it was a great turn for the series.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Why is this topic in the SW forum and Games Discussion forum?

I mean I can't wait for Evil Within but come on >.>

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#39  Edited By timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

The Evil within should be great. Mikami rarely disappoints so I expect great things from the game. :D

@uninspiredcup said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Oh this shit again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_(video_game) The first real horror game out there iirc. Alone in the dark didn't invent the genre nor coin the term "Survival horror" so yeah. Not gonna bother anymore time with you. You can debate if Alone in the dark did more for survival horror but it did not invent the genre.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

After the turd Amnesia MfP, and the utter disappointment that was Outlast, I am ready for a good horror game. I want a another SH game. I want an improved downpour game. It was such a wonderful in the right direction. I can't wait to see what's next.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uninspiredcup

@timmy00 said:

The Evil within should be great. Mikami rarely disappoints so I expect great things from the game. :D

@uninspiredcup said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Oh this shit again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_(video_game) The first real horror game out there iirc. Alone in the dark didn't invent the genre nor coin the term "Survival horror" so yeah. Not gonna bother anymore time with you. You can debate if Alone in the dark did more for survival horror but it did not invent the genre.

2d/3d. Nobody gives a flying **** about 2d.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Salt_The_Fries

I like how I obliterated the discussion yet everyone pretended not to notice it. Typical.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#43 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

I personally can't wait for it. I used to be a HUGE Resident Evil & Silent Hill fan, but they have been consistently sucking for 7 years(All last gen). Resident Evil 5 wasn't too bad, but Silent Hill....man.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#44  Edited By chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Big fan of Mikami since he left RE has been on a downward spiral apart from Revelations. Vanquish was an overlooked title but I am really interested in The Evil Within.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

@Zelda187 said:

Outlast..Amnesia..Slenderman..

Time to get a PC

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

I need to give downpour a try sometime.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Animal-Mother

@finalfantasy94:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

What did you think of shattered memories? I personally loved it and felt it was a great turn for the series.

Shattered memories was a great re-envisioning for the series. It went for more of the psychological aspects of 2 which was neat. But nonetheless I think they failed to deliver on some monsters and some of the level design was a bit archaic for my taste. But other wise it told a great fun interesting story. If they did another one in the vein of the earlier games it'd be awesome. It's just a shame they can't get the band or a good band back together :/

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Animal-Mother

@clone01 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

I need to give downpour a try sometime.

Downpour is Ok... If you go in with low expectations it can be a good ride. It has some interesting concepts but I think Vatra failed to deliver on some more unnerving things. Though it may be us ourselves. We've been playing the series for so long we become desensitized. Comabt is a bit frustrating but can be fun, the town itself is an awesome character and adding side quests making it a pseudo open world game was a smart choice. It has interesting concepts and is the best SH game in a long while, though that's not saying a lot.

Konami needs to take a good long look at the series and find some really fucked up people to make it again. Rather than outsourcing it and hoping for the best.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

Why no one bothered to address Project Firestart?