The Dual Shock 4 is the new king

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Celtic_34 (1227 posts) -

I thought i would miss the xbox 360 controller but I don't at all. I play a lot of sports games and games that really fit the 360 controller as well perfectly. I thought iwas perfect but the dual shock 4 is just much nicer. I love the new touchpad, the speaker and the quality of it.

#2 Posted by clyde46 (44827 posts) -

Battery life sucks though.

#3 Edited by freedomfreak (39100 posts) -

I absolutely love it.

#4 Edited by MrXboxOne (742 posts) -

I thought i would miss the xbox 360 controller but I don't at all. I play a lot of sports games and games that really fit the 360 controller as well perfectly. I thought iwas perfect but the dual shock 4 is just much nicer. I love the new touchpad, the speaker and the quality of it.

LOL ok.......

#5 Edited by Snugenz (11813 posts) -

Great controller indeed, but whats with all the cow insecurity threads?, what you should do is open up notepad, write down everything you're insecure about and that'd you'd like to make a thread about then just make one big thread that we can all ignore.

Sound good?.

#6 Posted by cainetao11 (16840 posts) -

As Ive said before, I only got like 10 minutes with it at a kiosk, and as far as just shape, I like DS3 better. 360 is still my top, need more time with DS4, but I wasn't blown away by it. The X1 controllers were stolen, the Gamestop employee said, so I couldn't even try them.

#7 Edited by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

How about FPS games. Playing all these years with the 360 controller do you think you'll need time to adjust.

#8 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

well I wouldn't necessarily say that it's the new king since the DualShock has always been king, but yes it does cement itself as the continued king of controllers

#9 Posted by _Matt_ (8863 posts) -

I'm yet to try X1 controller, but the DS4 is pretty much perfect, my only gripe is the 8-9 hours battery life, a considerable step down from DS3.

#10 Edited by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

@xboxdone74 said:

well I wouldn't necessarily say that it's the new king since the DualShock has always been king, but yes it does cement itself as the continued king of controllers

Last gen the Xbox 360 Controller was king.

#11 Edited by Evo_nine (1631 posts) -

yeah okay, sure.

ITT insecure cow's stuck with symmetrical analogue sticks.

#12 Posted by FLOPPAGE_50 (770 posts) -

king at draining the battery

#13 Posted by dubt72 (37 posts) -

XBOX One controller is the emperor.

#14 Posted by Snugenz (11813 posts) -

@Evo_nine said:

yeah okay, sure.

The symmetrical sticks aren't an issue with the DS4 now that they're much further apart.

#15 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

@xhawk27: nah its been pretty much established that the DualShock is owned every generation

#16 Posted by sailor232 (4432 posts) -

The ps4 controller is really nice, but the stick placement on the xbox controllers make them number one for Fps games, which seems like 80% of the games out there.

#17 Edited by xhawk27 (7229 posts) -

@xhawk27: nah its been pretty much established that the DualShock is owned every generation

Sure the DS was great for most games but not all. One area it lacked was FPS games. Also it was really light and small.

#18 Posted by TheRealBigRich (726 posts) -

Havent used the DS4 but from what if I have in comparison to the X1 controller I think they both have good points and bad points. I would probably go with the X1 cause I love the triggers

#19 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@Evo_nine said:

yeah okay, sure.

The symmetrical sticks aren't an issue with the DS4 now that they're much further apart.

So it was an issue with the DS1 - DS3?

#20 Posted by Snugenz (11813 posts) -

@Snugenz said:

@Evo_nine said:

yeah okay, sure.

So it was an issue with the DS1 - DS3?

It was for me, could'nt have my thumbs on the sticks comfortably without my thumbs hitting when both sticks where held towards each other.

#21 Posted by DarthBilf (1356 posts) -

Interesting. I haven't jumped into the next generation yet, but its good to know it sounds like neither controller is bad. The DS3 was god awful.

#22 Edited by TF626 (592 posts) -

I wish Sony would release a wired controller for real. Or at least give you an option to turn of the light.

#23 Posted by lamprey263 (23096 posts) -

the DS3 was kind of crap I imagine the DS4 feels worlds better

haven't tried it myself but I like the concave tips of the Xbox 360 controller better than the convex ones of the DS3, plus the shorter analogs I like better, and the spacing between analogs is probably a welcome improvement, but also improving the triggers, which on the DS3 just felt dainty is also a welcome improvement on the DS4... it's good to know if I decide to get a PS4 that the controller won't be an issue as far as I'm concerned, I can finally use triggers for triggers rather than reassigning buttons to L1/R1

#24 Posted by Bishop1310 (980 posts) -

lol this guy.. joke

#25 Posted by Vatusus (4416 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

I'm yet to try X1 controller, but the DS4 is pretty much perfect, my only gripe is the 8-9 hours battery life, a considerable step down from DS3.

Is the DS4 usb cable at least bigger than the DS3 one? Cause that one was tiny as fvck

#26 Posted by BassMan (1398 posts) -

360 controller is still king. The shoulder buttons of the XB1 controller really ruined it for me. The placement and feel of them is awful. Otherwise, the XB1 controller would be king as it has better analogs, triggers, force feedback, and more spacious in the back. DS4 is nice too, but the Xbox controllers are still preferable. I own all the consoles and have spent a lot of time with each of the controllers. I am unbiased, but in the end it is just a personal preference.

#27 Posted by _Matt_ (8863 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@_Matt_ said:

Is the DS4 usb cable at least bigger than the DS3 one? Cause that one was tiny as fvck

By my estimation it's 1.5m long.

#28 Edited by hiphops_savior (7856 posts) -

Pros and cons for each controller

Wii U Gamepad

Pros

• Light and comfortable
  • Touchscreen allows for offscreen play
  • Any 3.5mm jack with a mic will allow voice chat
  • Arguably one of the most ergonomic layout

Cons

• Poor battery life
  • Switching back to A-button on the side after a decade of playing Xbox will take an adjustment period
  • No analog triggers

Wii U Pro Controller

Pros

• 80 hour battery life
  • familiar controller
  • analog sticks on top is pure genius

Cons

• Weak Rumble
  • No analog triggers
  • No headphone jack

Dualshock 4

Pros

• Massively improved triggers
  • wider base ensures better spacing
  • same familiar loadout since the PS1 Dualshock
  • 3.5mm headphone jack

Cons

• Mediocre battery life
  • Tacked on Trackpad
  • Shoulder bumpers doesn't feel great

Xbox One Controller

Pros

• Massively improved d-pad thanks to Nintendo's patent expiring
  • tacile bumpers
  • rumble built into triggers

Cons

• Cheap build quality
  • 360 Charge and play does not work
  • Charge and play is overpriced and designed to gouge you
  • Asymmetrical analog layout is arguably the worst layout for shooters
#29 Edited by danten81 (129 posts) -

No. The battery life is terrible, as is the flashlight ruining horror games(night gaming). Also, the shoulder buttons will stick, and the analog sticks are made of poor material. The Dualshock 3 is still the most versatile controller and it's lasted me 5 years.

Edit: I wish they would have gone with AA batteries like the X1 pad. Changing rechargeable eneloops is much better than being stuck with usb charging.

#30 Posted by osirisx3 (1756 posts) -

wii u pad pwns all its a home theater system in your very hands

#31 Posted by Snugenz (11813 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@Vatusus said:

@_Matt_ said:

By my estimation it's 1.5m long.

Yeah sounds about right.

#32 Edited by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

Agree. The DS4 is far superior than the Xbone controller. A lot of lemmings on youtube all agree that the Playstation 4 is the better control for gaming.

#33 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

It is a fantastic feeling controller. Easily takes the win for me!

#34 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (1989 posts) -

Loved the 360 controller last gen, LOVE the DS4 even more!

#35 Posted by conkertheking1 (835 posts) -

wii u controller with touch screen = piece of crap, ps4 controller with touch screen = the new king ????

#36 Edited by trugs26 (5287 posts) -

Yeah it's much better than all the previous Sony controllers. It was a little too small for my hands though (from memory, I think the arc of the shoulders made the analog sticks too close together and centred).

I have yet to try the the One controller though.

#37 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5761 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Yeah this is true, but overall I really like it. Sooooo much better than DS3.

#38 Edited by W1NGMAN- (9958 posts) -

wii u controller with touch screen = piece of crap, ps4 controller with touch screen = the new king ????

You mean touch pad, and I've yet to hear anyone claim it's the new king because of it's touch pad.

#39 Edited by blackace (20238 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

The new XBox One controller lasted me days and days on just 2 energizer batteries. It just finally died today. I've been playing several days every week for hours.

For me the XBox 360 controller is still the best for feel, comfort and control. The new d-pad works a lot better. I still can't get comfortable playing FPS with the DS4 yet.

**********************************************************************************************************8

@xhawk27 said:

@xboxdone74 said:

Last gen the Xbox 360 Controller was king.

It's still the King for me. I still like it better then the next-gen controllers.

#40 Edited by Heil68 (43414 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

I get around 12 hours, which is fine with me.

#41 Posted by MrXboxOne (742 posts) -

LOL DC

#42 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -
#43 Edited by Couth_ (10008 posts) -

To truly be the goat it would need full PC support. It works on Assassins Creed but the game thinks it's 360 controller and that was confusing as hell for button prompts lulz

#44 Posted by millerlight89 (18347 posts) -

It is the best cobtrol input this gen. DS4 > Xbone > Wii U >>Keyboard

#45 Posted by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

Pauper of battery life and King of flaking analog sticks.

#46 Posted by sukraj (22089 posts) -

@dubt72 said:

XBOX One controller is the emperor.

agreed best controller even better than the 360 controller.

#47 Posted by PonchoTaco (1961 posts) -
#48 Edited by silversix_ (14052 posts) -

This is fact since E3.

#49 Posted by lhughey (4222 posts) -

The controller is very nice. I agree that it is the nicest feeling controller. But the gap between it and the Xbone controller is small. The reports of poor battery life are a little discouraging though.

#50 Posted by donalbane (16189 posts) -

I really like it, probably the better of the two, but not by a whole lot. If the Xbox One's controller bumpers weren't hinge-based and clicked uniformly like the Xbox 360, I'd say it was a tie since when utilized, the Impulse Triggers match the cool factor of the touchpad. I predict a version 2 of the Xbox One with old-school bumpers, which will pretty much level the playing field. But currently, yes, I love the new Dual Shock.