The DEFINITIVE version of Resident Evil 4 is out.

• 173 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by JangoWuzHere (16000 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD edition has just released on Steam.

If you haven't played this game yet for whatever reason, you would be doing yourself a service to play it right now. The definitive version of one of the greatest games of all time has just been released on Steam. I have played around with it for about an hour now and the port gets a big thumbs up if you ask me.

The game is now in 1080p HD, has new HD textures, runs at 60 FPS, and has fantastic and crisp sound. The so called HD port to the 360 and PS3 was awful all around. It had lousy ass textures, bad framerate, and the sound was just awful and muddy. This is the HD port that fans have been waiting for.

Now, if you want to play this game. I would still reccomend playing with a controller. The new mouse and keyboard controls and fine and servicable, but the game still feels like it was built for a gamepad. However, if you have no choice, the keyboard controls do have remapping options and options for mouse accleration.

The game also has new graphics settings to mess with. I would reccomend turning motion blur off, it makes everything look super crappy. Now, I still think this still looks good even today. It has a strong art style and the entire game is dripping with atmosphere.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with this port. I think we have reached the pinnacle. We no longer have to keep buying new versions of this game. We can finally look back and forget the awful PC port that came so long ago.

#2 Posted by silversix_ (13883 posts) -

>?< Why >?<

#3 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

Only took them nearly a decade. I've played this game so much that 60 fps and 1080p doesn't really mean squat/.

#4 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

I might get it someday. I don't want to spend $20 on it.

I've only ever played the PS2 version, but the dualshock is so nasty for shooters, that I don't feel as if I was capable of enjoying the game to its fullest.

#5 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16000 posts) -

One thing to also note is that the load times are much shorter, so switching between weapons and accessing your inventory is almost instant now.

#6 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

I have zero interest in ever replaying it again unless they add significant new content. Throwing in some more p's and a higher frame rate isn't enough. I played the GC version, I played it on PS2 for the new content, I played it on Wii for the better controls, and I played it on PS3 to see it in HD. Didn't bother playing for more than an hour on that last one, because simply making the existing game look better didn't do jack squat for it.

#7 Posted by lostrib (33009 posts) -

I might get it on steam sale, I'm not a big horror game fan, and I didn't like RE5

#8 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@Randolph: Agreed so much. My fav was the wii version. Such fun with the wii mote

#9 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24546 posts) -

I have this game on Gamecube.

I have yet to see a reason to get it again.

#10 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

I have this game on Gamecube.

I have yet to see a reason to get it again.

Wii version has superior controls and the Ada campaign that came along with the PS2 version. (but without the compromised visuals of the PS2 version) It's great, and well worth owning.

#11 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8278 posts) -

@lostrib It's not even a horror and if you haven't played RE4 upon its release and then tried RE5 and didn't like it, chances are you wouldn't like RE4 either. And rightfully so.

#12 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8278 posts) -

@lostrib It's not even a horror and if you haven't played RE4 upon its release and then tried RE5 and didn't like it, chances are you wouldn't like RE4 either. And rightfully so.

#13 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16000 posts) -

RE4 is very much a horror game, it is paced as such. The areas in the game have a horrific atmosphere and use unsettling imagery constaintly. You can argue about how effective RE4 was as a horror game, but the game was trying to be spooky no doubt about it.

I would argue that RE4 and RE5 are very different games. They both have a similar playing style, but the pacing and design are very different. RE5 also had a forced co-op partner, so if you played that game solo, it was far more frustrating.

#14 Posted by Pffrbt (6449 posts) -

I'll pass since apparently the controls are still awful. The only version of this game I've been able to play and enjoy is the Wii version and that's because it's the only version without an asinine button layout and horrible aiming. I don't know what the hell it is with the aiming in RE4. The aiming in RE5, Revelations, and even RE6, along with almost any other third person shooter I've played feels fine, but RE4 just feels awful. It's so sluggish and awkward I can barely aim at anything.

#15 Edited by Masculus (2819 posts) -

Best game evah.

#16 Posted by ArisShadows (22615 posts) -

Meh game, if I ever get it, I probably get it during a sale.

#17 Edited by lamprey263 (22658 posts) -

It's a great game but dated controls make it less accessible, for instance - one analog for forward backward movement also turns instead of using right analog (or mouse I imagine), that also means no strafing, there's also no moving and shooting, and the aiming isn't fixed to camera and instead has a wondering aim - other than that stuff though it's a blast to play once you get used to the dated controls.

#18 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8278 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere Of course Resident Evil 4 had some atmospheric moments and it had some horror moments but it's also singlehandedly responsible for steering the series into over-the-top ridiculousness and full out action with almost no sense of place and purpose, as well as requiring you to only go forward without even thinking. Overall it was a decent game, worth 7/10 but nothing more. RE5 used the same then outdated mechanics from 2005 and expected that people will still feel it's something special. You don't enter the same river twice.

Fast forward to Revelations - it finally had certain key elements embedded within the series roots and it had some sense of mystery and made you wanting to know what'd happen next but as far as gameplay mechanics are concerned it was barely serviceable. Even the worst Dead Space - the third one obliterated it into pieces on every level.

#19 Edited by sukraj (21797 posts) -

@Masculus said:

Best game evah.

yes it is imo

#20 Posted by eNT1TY (988 posts) -

I rather liked the wii one, thought that was the definitive one.

#21 Edited by getyeryayasout (7032 posts) -

RE4 is one of my most purchased games. I've bought copies for Gamecube, PS2, and the 360, and If I had a capable PC I'd buy this version as well. It's such an amazing game, just look at the influence it's held over gaming since it's release. I turned on my Gamecube version a year or so ago and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it has held up, irregardless of resolution or fps. Good game is good.

#22 Edited by superbuuman (2590 posts) -

Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD edition has just released on Steam.

If you haven't played this game yet for whatever reason, you would be doing yourself a service to play it right now. The definitive version of one of the greatest games of all time has just been released on Steam. I have played around with it for about an hour now and the port gets a big thumbs up if you ask me.

The game is now in 1080p HD, has new HD textures, runs at 60 FPS, and has fantastic and crisp sound. The so called HD port to the 360 and PS3 was awful all around. It had lousy ass textures, bad framerate, and the sound was just awful and muddy. This is the HD port that fans have been waiting for.

Now, if you want to play this game. I would still reccomend playing with a controller. The new mouse and keyboard controls and fine and servicable, but the game still feels like it was built for a gamepad. However, if you have no choice, the keyboard controls do have remapping options and options for mouse accleration.

The game also has new graphics settings to mess with. I would reccomend turning motion blur off, it makes everything look super crappy. Now, I still think this still looks good even today. It has a strong art style and the entire game is dripping with atmosphere.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with this port. I think we have reached the pinnacle. We no longer have to keep buying new versions of this game. We can finally look back and forget the awful PC port that came so long ago.

I'll probably mostlikely end up getting it.. :p You're wrong about controller..Wiimote point and shoot beats out allvother controllers. :p

#23 Posted by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

Never played RE4, kill me I know hehehe.

#24 Edited by Articuno76 (18675 posts) -

Are all the cutscenes done in real-time like on the GC? Or is some of it fugly pre-rendered stuff like on the PS2?

#25 Edited by uninspiredcup (7542 posts) -

While the young people played this and went "oh ah". Older gamers such as myself played System Shock 2.

#26 Posted by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

Next milk-up, Resident Evil 4 Final Edition for PS4 & Xbox One

#27 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7050 posts) -

Yet another port of this nine year old game? Yeah, no thanks.

#28 Posted by gameofthering (10081 posts) -

I enjoyed it on the Gamecube and Wii and I'm enjoying the new PC version. I hope Code Veronica gets put on Steam.

Code Veronica is my favourite and it never even got a PC release :(

#29 Posted by Articuno76 (18675 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Wow guy, you're so cool. How can I be a cool, cool guy like you cool guy?

#30 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42578 posts) -

So you can actually play with a gamepad on PC? Better. Still won't be better than playing with a Wii remote. Wii Edition was amazing.

#31 Posted by IamAdorable (402 posts) -

Did they release this twice? The first version, which was broken. And now this version that works?

#32 Posted by bobbetybob (19114 posts) -

While the young people played this and went "oh ah". Older gamers such as myself played System Shock 2.

Yeah cause fuck people for playing different games to you and enjoying them, how dare they. If only we could all be gaming connoisseurs like you are.

I played 2 hours of it last night, still feels so good. It's funny seeing people complain about the controls on the Steam forums saying they need to be slicker, as if that wouldn't ruin all the tension in the game.

#33 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3346 posts) -

The Wii Edition came out in 2007. People who don't like this game simply have bad taste and don't like good games.

#34 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38205 posts) -

This version of the game is fantastic. Playing it at 1440p (downscaled) with nicer textures and a rock solid 60fps does a lot for it

Plus actual proper mouse aiming too. Don't knock it till you've tried it

#35 Posted by Krelian-co (10215 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I might get it on steam sale, I'm not a big horror game fan, and I didn't like RE5

if you haven't played it you should, it was the last good re

#36 Posted by bobbetybob (19114 posts) -

This version of the game is fantastic. Playing it at 1440p (downscaled) with nicer textures and a rock solid 60fps does a lot for it

Pfft only 1440p?! I'm at 1800p get on my level =p

I literally didn't know how easy it was to downscale until yesterday, it's so good.

#37 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13065 posts) -

I finally don't have to mod the shit out of it to make it playable, I might get it based on that alone.

#38 Posted by glez13 (8554 posts) -

Already tried it with a friend and I'm not gonna bite again. It has the same shitty aiming but now with native mouse support, something I already had with mods. The graphics overhaul is also half done which is also something I already had with mods, only the poly-count seems to be like the GC version instead of the PS2 one but in this day and age both are outdated anyways. Maybe for very cheap sale I will buy it because of the steam support.

#39 Posted by blackace (19996 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere: I think most people have already played and beat this game by now. I still have it for my XBox 360 and still need to finish the game. No reason to rebuy it on Steam, that's for sure. For hermits who never bought it, it's good for them.

#40 Posted by aroxx_ab (9204 posts) -

I have this game on game cube i can play anytime i want, will not buy this game again...

#41 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38205 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

Pfft only 1440p?! I'm at 1800p get on my level =p

I literally didn't know how easy it was to downscale until yesterday, it's so good.

haha yeah it's pretty easy alright

#42 Edited by uninspiredcup (7542 posts) -

They appeared to have changed the Quick time events to less shitty quick time events simply holding the shoulder buttons.

System Shock 2 never had quick time events...

#43 Edited by Heil68 (43186 posts) -

Already played and beaten long ago.

#44 Edited by Boddicker (2394 posts) -

*yawn*

Already beat it multiple times.

Next!!!!!

#45 Posted by CTR360 (6923 posts) -

i have the game cube version after RE4 the series going worst

#46 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16000 posts) -

@blackace said:

@JangoWuzHere: I think most people have already played and beat this game by now. I still have it for my XBox 360 and still need to finish the game. No reason to rebuy it on Steam, that's for sure. For hermits who never bought it, it's good for them.

It's nice to have a proper HD release of this game. The 360 and PS3 ports were pretty awful. They didn't upres any of the textures when converting to 720p, the audio was awful, and the framerate somehow was even worse then the original. I think this version of the game is definetly worth picking up even if you already own an older version of this game.

A lot of people have already played this game, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a fantastic game, even by todays standards. It still looks sharp, the shooting is still very satisfying, it is paced incredibly well, and each environment is designed perfectly.

#47 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (6560 posts) -

They need to stop milking this cow.

#48 Posted by PsychoLemons (1969 posts) -

Nah, I'm okay with the Gamecube version of it.

#49 Posted by LightEffect (54 posts) -

Have never played this game so probably about time I pick it up.

#50 Edited by bfmv2007 (279 posts) -

Resident Evil 4. Now available on...
Gamecube
PS2
PC
Wii
Mobile Phones
Apple IOS
Zeebo (look it up, its real)
Xbox 360 (HD)
PS3 (HD)
PC (Super HD 60 fps)