The definition of a true gamer......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 0

#1 Quofan
Member since 2005 • 1606 Posts

......is someone who can appreciate all games and trust their own judgement without relying on reviews, others opinions or image.

If you like shooters, buy shooters. If you like RPG's, buy RPG's. But dont expect to like a game just because everyone else does. For example, many people use the score of GeoW to justify why they bought it, which is just wrong. Same goes for a lot of titles that got AAA on GS. When I get my 360, I might rent it or something but its simply not my kind of game. Im more interested in the numerous RPG's that will soon be released. But thats my preference. Many gamers hated P.N 03 for the GC, myself among them, and it got 5.3 or something from Gamespot. But it has acheived cult status amongst some gamers who enjoy its old-school style shooting action.

Another example is Nintendo's so-called 'kiddy' reputation. Before Playstation launched in 1995, gamers bought 'kiddy' games all the time, as the games themselves counted, not reputation, not image etc. just how they appealed to individual gamers. Its only since then that this has mattered much, and its all fanboyism.Sega had nearly as many 'kiddy'games as Nintendo back then. It was down to whether you would rather play Mario, Zelda and Final Fantasy or Sonic, Ecco the Dolphin and Phantasy Star.

Many games are referred to as must-haves, some as overhyped and overrated, but in the end, personal opinion counts the most. Just because a game gest a good score does not mean you have to buy it, thats just moronic. But not nearly as moronic as a minority of PS3 or 360 owners who claim that the Wii is just for casuals yet its made to appeal to gamers, casual and non-gamers, and even hardcore gamers. The hypocracy comes in when it transpires that most of those making these comments bought a PS2 last gen......which is considered the biggest casual console of them all.

lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
You kick ass!
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
*stands and applauds* Words to live by.
Norg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Norg
Member since 2002 • 15959 Posts

SOmeone who goes to a game store and the game store only has 2 games

Jax and Daxter

&

JAK II

THe True Gamer would pick up Jak II because its the better of the 2 :lol:

Snake4eva_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Snake4eva_92
Member since 2006 • 5656 Posts

Seriously dude, nice post.

I agree with that.....my preference is my preference whether you like it or not!:P

makaveli_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 makaveli_89
Member since 2006 • 3415 Posts
so true.
OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts
dude as deep as ur s--- was.fanboys will never understand wut saying.they are happy as they are and that is why is so fun.and as of me yeah i try a couple games that i thought they were gonna be awesome but they end up sucking(OBLIVION).i like stuff that are epic that will always be remember those kind of s--- and i demand GOD OF WAR MOVIE
subject117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 subject117
Member since 2002 • 4824 Posts
I agree. They should take the scores out of videogame reviews.
shsonline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shsonline
Member since 2005 • 2937 Posts
Good pos,  but what brought about this rant?

I'd just as easily say a true gamer is someone who enjoys playing videogames.
Blitz_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blitz_Nemesis
Member since 2005 • 8042 Posts
I agree with most of what you said but looking at a review before you buy a game isnt what you make it seem. Why buy a game to find out it sucks instead of finding out what others thought about it before you go and throw your money away?
Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Quofan

shsonline

Good point. The idea of casual gaming does get a lot of flak for no reason. Some people just arent able or willing to pay as much money for or invest as much time in games but still enjoy it as much.

What brought about the rant was a lot of other definitions people have given of a true gamer. Mostly fanboys who probably wont listen, but the rant made me feel better, so its ok, lol.

Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Quofan

I agree with most of what you said but looking at a review before you buy a game isnt what you make it seem. Why buy a game to find out it sucks instead of finding out what others thought about it before you go and throw your money away?Blitz_Nemesis

Im not saying people shouldnt use reviews, I mean I do. Its just people rely on them a little too much. Ive bought games that have gotten terrible reviews and quite enjoyed tham. Like Hybrid Heaven on the N64, I loved that game bit it got less then a 5 I think on GS.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

shsonline
that stupid wii will destroy gaming thread. the TC said that he is a true gamer and said some stupid things omong them calling nintendo kiddy and called some guy a gian kid for playing nintedo games. (that was in a later post but he still said it)
Quofan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Quofan

[QUOTE="shsonline"]Good pos,  but what brought about this rant?

laughingman42
that stupid wii will destroy gaming thread. the TC said that he is a true gamer and said some stupid things omong them calling nintendo kiddy and called some guy a gian kid for playing nintedo games. (that was in a later post but he still said it)

Ah that was it! I think im becoming senile......and im only 21 this year.....

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
agreed 100% TC. Gamer = someone who has fun with their games. Pretty simple SW.
Rougehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rougehunter
Member since 2004 • 5873 Posts
Good post. Maybe fanboys dont know what they like and they need other people(GS) to tell them what to like. Example: Lemmings didn't like driving sims until Forza scored AAA
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
Good post, and true one at that.
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts

......is someone who can appreciate all games and trust their own judgement without relying on reviews, others opinions or image.Quofan

No... I think "the definition of a true gamer" is something people make up to validate their own taste in games ahead of others. Does it make you feel good to call yourself a "true gamer" based on standards that reflect the way you game compared to the way others game? If someone buys a game because of a review and enjoys it, let them. If they proceed to operate on reviews, get "what's cool," buy movie licensed games, whatever, so long as they enjoy it.

You say "personal opinion counts for the most" after listing multiple criteria which fall into the real of a personal opinion, saying that people who follow those opinions aren't true gamers. Good for you for focusing on personal opinion, but shame on you for excluding a broad range of personal opinion. "True gamer" is a title people make up to help validate the way they game. Despite your rather liberal presentation of things, you're not acting any differently here.