The Day Videogame Retail Stores Died

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tweezer-bum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tweezer-bum
Member since 2007 • 182 Posts

Any thoughts on this? With Nintendo, Sony, Xbox and Apple having their own versions of online stores, do you think just downloading games onto hard-drives will become the norm within the next decade?

What were to happen then? Would games become cheaper by eliminating the middle-man that resides in brick-and-mortar stores? Would it be more convenient this way? Would it improve piracy problems, or aggravate user-ownership rights?

Should video-game specific stores like Gamestop be worried?

I'm preferably more interested in hearing from the multi-system Gaming Lords who have been playing since around the 8-bit days.

TheDogout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TheDogout
Member since 2010 • 807 Posts

Any thoughts on this? With Nintendo, Sony, Xbox and Apple having their own versions of online stores, do you think just downloading games onto hard-drives will become the norm within the next decade?

What were to happen then? Would games become cheaper by eliminating the middle-man that resides in brick-and-mortar stores? Would it be more convenient this way? Would it improve piracy problems, or aggravate user-ownership rights?

I'm preferably more interested in hearing from the multi-system Gaming Lords who have been playing since around the 8-bit days.

tweezer-bum
It will be like blu-ray A luxury until 5 years later
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc30280b8881
deactivated-5fc30280b8881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5fc30280b8881
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts

tweezer-bum

Oh, some people will try it. At least in the beginning, the market will also resist it. Digital distribution, when laden with DRM, is fundamentally anti-customer. It generally cuts out the possibility of selling the game used, loaning the game to a friend, and so on. It can also be a ridiculously convenient tool of planned obsolesence. So yeah, I'm on the aggravation side of things.

The funniest thing is that if a DRM-heavy digital distribution system ever gets established, it has a very real risk of being disrupted by a conventional disk-based "ecosystem".

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#4 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

or it will be like hd-dvds

work for a while ,

then theyll go back , because people who dont have internet , , cant buy them ,

its like how car makers make a certain model of cars -example dodge charger -then discontinue it , only to come back some 15 yrs later - release another model under the name

also like how nintendo canceled goldeneye for snes ,, it ended up being a n64 game later on

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Fully DD consoles, as the PSPGo so elegantly proves, still need a lot of time.
nmaharg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nmaharg
Member since 2004 • 3285 Posts
DD imo is great. No more worrying about lost booklets or scratched disks. No waiting in line for those block buster games. More importantly though, no more need to waste space with useless cd/dvd/blu-ray cases. Right now all we really need is for American ISPs to convert over to fios. Verizon is on the way, everyone else needs to follow suit.
wes008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 wes008
Member since 2009 • 802 Posts

tweezer-bum

Stores like Game Stop should not be worried. A lot of those store's revenue comes from shovelware games. People who buy/play shovelware don't usually know how to download games. So games at retail stores will still bring in cash. And as the PSP Go has proven, this generation of gamers are not ready to go fully disc/cartridge less.

shawn7324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 shawn7324
Member since 2006 • 8690 Posts

I hope it never comes to that as I prefer to have a physical copy of a game as once I'm finished with it I can sell it. If I wasn't able to sell my games like I do then I just wouldn't be able to afford to buy as many new games as I do.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts
I see Digital distribution for games in 10 years being just like it is for music now. A lot of it will be purchased digitally, but there will still be some retail for those who prefer it, but the days of dedicated video game stores are probably numbered. Just like Tower Records, I think Gamestop will end up the same way. Faster & hopefully cheaper broadband speeds and less expensive storage will help.
ironman388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ironman388
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

Downloading games has been here for years with steam. consoles are just playing catchup. once systems get bigger HDs, then we might see digital distribution hit the console market

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Hell, I'm already doing it with Steam.
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

I hope it never comes to that as I prefer to have a physical copy of a game as once I'm finished with it I can sell it. If I wasn't able to sell my games like I do then I just wouldn't be able to afford to buy as many new games as I do.

shawn7324
agrred, i rely heavily on trade in to support my gaming hobbie, and i too like having a physical copy of my games
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

the day games go fully DD is probably going to be the day I quit gaming, I am much more of a game collector then I am a game player , it may sound absurd, but its what I am. And unfortunatly, you cannot "collect" non physical objects.

Metalscarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metalscarz
Member since 2004 • 1019 Posts

the day games go fully DD is probably going to be the day I quit gaming, I am much more of a game collector then I am a game player , it may sound absurd, but its what I am. And unfortunatly, you cannot "collect" non physical objects.

dragonfly110

Yeah, usually playing the game is what people want to do, not looking at the case, so you're definitely in the minority.

I welcome DD, with open arms. More money into the devs pockets, Less need for big publishers to fund games. No Gamestop employees selling me pre-orders, or rain checks from Best Buy. Trading and selling games is a rip off anyway since the value drops so damn quick.

DD is usually cheaper overall anyway.

DD is what the developers want. Less overhead = more money for them. Used sales are the bane of the industry as far as console devs are concerened. Look for a huge push towards digital. Like MP3 "killed" CD's, DD will "kill" retail game sales. There will always be a market for retail but it will shrink exponentially.

For you it may even work in your favor. Less people buying retail will lead to retail being more scarce, and thus eventually more valuable anyway.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts

[QUOTE="tweezer-bum"]

_Teron_

Oh, some people will try it. At least in the beginning, the market will also resist it. Digital distribution, when laden with DRM, is fundamentally anti-customer. It generally cuts out the possibility of selling the game used, loaning the game to a friend, and so on. It can also be a ridiculously convenient tool of planned obsolesence. So yeah, I'm on the aggravation side of things.

The funniest thing is that if a DRM-heavy digital distribution system ever gets established, it has a very real risk of being disrupted by a conventional disk-based "ecosystem".

DD is no more DRM intensive than a hard medium. Your data is trapped on a little disc. The fact that you can sell the disc doesn't in any way make it yours or make the practice of using it any more free.
jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

Downloading games has been here for years with steam. consoles are just playing catchup. once systems get bigger HDs, then we might see digital distribution hit the console market

ironman388

yeah, and despite Steam, the pc gaming market isn't even remotely close to doing away with physical discs any time soon. When M$ talks about DD, they literally intend to not have retail version of games anymore. It just won't work. A full-scale online purchasing system isn't the most viable strategy. If you ask me, M$ is just plain greedy. They wanna control every aspect of the market.

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

I wouldn't like to say that day

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

I buy most of my PC games through Steam and Direct2Drive

The idea of consoles making the switch isn't really that much of a stretch. I think harddrive space is the only thing stopping XBox Live and PSN from featuring more full games for download.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I buy all my games online and get the disc´s in mailbox, better price. That day consoles goes Digital download only that is the day i stop play consoles.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

I buy most of my PC games through Steam and Direct2Drive

The idea of consoles making the switch isn't really that much of a stretch. I think harddrive space is the only thing stopping XBox Live and PSN from featuring more full games for download.

UnknownSniper65

actually the issue is infrastructure. theres not enough high bandwidth internet lines throughout the world to deliver the content. i have friends that have ps3's and no internet line b/c a cable line isn't available in their area (dsl is too slow generally as is satellite) they'd be saying "unless you have a high speed internet setup you can't play our system" which would alienate the hell out of their fanbase. its going to be at least another 10-20 years before they can start thinking about digital downloads only.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50698 Posts

Gamestop should be worried because of places like Amazon and even Wal-Mart.

Amazon especially for me, I'll never walk to a store to buy a video game again. Always, ALWAYS cheaper via amazon.

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
Digital distribution and physical media will CO-EXIST.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="_Teron_"]

[QUOTE="tweezer-bum"]

i good chunk of my 360 library is DD, my entire pc library is DD, i have to say, even if it is laden with DRM, its better then havign to deal with a cd key that might get lost, and having an account to keep track of everything for you and update everything automatically is compleetly win, i'd buy release games on DD if i could. The one thing i do hope though, is if M$ makes another console they try to make sure its 360 compatible, so i can just redownload all my games and toss the old system, if i have a persistant profile and all the hardware from here are support everything on that profile it will be a complete win situation IMO.
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

Metalscarz

Yeah, usually playing the game is what people want to do, not looking at the case, so you're definitely in the minority.

I welcome DD, with open arms. More money into the devs pockets, Less need for big publishers to fund games. No Gamestop employees selling me pre-orders, or rain checks from Best Buy. Trading and selling games is a rip off anyway since the value drops so damn quick.

DD is usually cheaper overall anyway.

DD is what the developers want. Less overhead = more money for them. Used sales are the bane of the industry as far as console devs are concerened. Look for a huge push towards digital. Like MP3 "killed" CD's, DD will "kill" retail game sales. There will always be a market for retail but it will shrink exponentially.

For you it may even work in your favor. Less people buying retail will lead to retail being more scarce, and thus eventually more valuable anyway.

thats not the point of it, I mean by that logic all collections are pointless "why collect stamps, you should just put them on an envelope" "why collect albums? just get them on itunes" its ALWAYS nicer (at least for me) to actually physically own a game, and not just have a virtual list stating that you own it.

BARAKiU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BARAKiU
Member since 2007 • 51 Posts

it's funny cause Gamestop announced they'd open 200 new stores last year. the bankruptcy is going to be ugly.

it'd like to see a cable type of service for videogames. 30 dollars a month flat fee with as many games as you'd like to play.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
I don't want DD on consoles.. on pcs it's fine.
mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

dragonfly110

I too am a collector which would be impossible if there was DD.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

not until American ISPs stop being manipulative.

wish we had ISPs like France, real competition and fair prices.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

not until American ISPs stop being manipulative.

wish we had ISPs like France, real competition and fair prices.

HavocV3

This pretty much.. the size of games will only go up and with bandwidth caps on ISPs on one of the most profitable markets, it just wouldn't make sense to go DD only especially in regards to consoles.

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

The only way DD can continue to grow is by aggressive competitive pricing. Steam is a great example, people thought it was a joke and a burden back in the day but look at how far it's gone since then.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#31 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
It would definitely be more convenient, and it could alleviate piracy problems. I see it happening in the next generation, actually...