The dawn of (system) War

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by evildead6789 (7261 posts) -

Last gen some things have changed. Devs have focussed more on the console market because there was less piracy there and the market was just bigger. When the x360 & ps3 released they also had very strong hardware that catered the gamer and dev alike. We're now 8 years later and hardware has improved a lot.

The consoles could have kept it's dominance in a way, if they made next gen consoles that were worth something. But releasing consoles with top of the line hardware is expensive, it's not like with the pc you can manage your upgrades when price/performance is at its best.

Anyway you put it, a true gamer is a graphics whore and when the pc is going to show off massive progress over the consoles, even console gamers will become frustrated. The pc can also cater the needs of console gamer today, even more with the steam machine. Virtual reality will make the difference even worse, because vr needs high framerates and high resolutions, something the next gen consoles struggle with and they just got released

Steam machine and pc will be on the rise and nintendo seems to be making a new console too, much more powerfull than the ps4 & x1.

Burn the heretic, kill the mutant, purge the ps4 & the xboxone... listen to the video and hear the voice of the pc master race

#2 Posted by clyde46 (43941 posts) -

I was hoping for a new Dawn of War game. I am very disappointed TC.

#3 Posted by kraken2109 (12963 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

+1

#4 Posted by evildead6789 (7261 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

It's probably put on hold because thq got sold but remember, dawn of war is a pc exclusive

#5 Posted by Szminsky (1433 posts) -

You got my hopes up for a new relic game you bastard.

#6 Posted by PsychoLemons (1966 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

#7 Posted by evildead6789 (7261 posts) -

@Szminsky said:

I'm truly sorry

On the bright side, consoles won't be able to run dawn of war III :)

#8 Edited by Sword-Demon (6922 posts) -

This is, without a doubt, the most disappointing thread of the year.

#9 Posted by _Matt_ (8832 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

+1

@Szminsky said:

I agree with all these fine people.

You, sir, are a fiend!

#10 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4034 posts) -

don't want to sound like a contrarian but - I agree.

the next gen consoles don't have to grunt I was expecting.

PC has been doing very well, it's a platform I abandoned about 10 years ago, and now it's my primary platform again.

i've used windows/linux for some 20-30 years and i welcome linux support.

i'm not sure 'how' I could be sold a next gen console. although i do want to buy one, probably around holiday 2015.

#11 Edited by WallofTruth (1314 posts) -

Man I hoped for Dawn of War III but hell, this thread is still pretty epic.

Dawn of War sure as hell has the most epic quotes in any game, FAITH IS ETERNAL!

And thank you TC for that godly video.

#12 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2175 posts) -

Meh . I thought it is related to some news about Dawn of War 3 , was disappointed . While I agree with other stuff you mentioned , I don't agree with "piracy" .

It was just an excuse for developers to ignore PC versions because they had deals with Sony and M$ to keep games exclusive to their platform . Frankly , I see 2008 and 2009 as darkest years of PC gaming . Things started to get better after that when Steam started to bring record breaking revenue every year . As far as piracy goes , it is just a myth . It is way overestimated and PC gaming brings more revenue than console gaming (both M$ and Sony consoles combined)

Revenue

Latest GDC Survey

#13 Edited by evildead6789 (7261 posts) -
@Cloud_imperium said:

Meh . I thought it is related to some news about Dawn of War 3 , was disappointed . While I agree with other stuff you mentioned , I don't agree with "piracy" .

It was just an excuse for developers to ignore PC versions because they had deals with Sony and M$ to keep games exclusive to their platform . Frankly , I see 2008 and 2009 as darkest years of PC gaming . Things started to get better after that when Steam started to bring record breaking revenue every year . As far as piracy goes , it is just a myth . It is way overestimated and PC gaming brings more revenue than console gaming (both M$ and Sony consoles combined)

Revenue

Latest GDC Survey

That may be true for games like mmo's & rts, pc specific games but for single player games and multiplat AAA titles the pc has a real problem with piracy. It's the reason why crytek started developping for consoles first which is a real shame after what they achieved with crysis and crysis warhead on the pc.

The piracy has become a lot less though, for various reasons: the success and nice prices on steam, the massive quality difference with consoles lately, the fact that the pc has become more accessible and it also has dedicated controller support.

#14 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2175 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Revenue

Latest GDC Survey

That may be true for games like mmo's & rts, pc specific games but for single player games and multiplat AAA titles the pc has a real problem with piracy. It's the reason why crytek started developping for consoles first which is a real shame after what they achieved with crysis and crysis warhead on the pc.

The piracy has become a lot less though, for various reasons: the success and nice prices on steam, the massive quality difference with consoles lately, the fact that the pc has become more accessible and it also has dedicated controller support.

The games made for PC first sell more on PC . Diablo 3 , Portal 2 , Half Life 2 , Witcher 2 , Broken Sword and so on all sold better on PC . Hell even Alan Wake was more profitable on PC . Other hand PS games barely sell over 2 million copies . TLOU is best selling and now at 6 million . This SIms franchise on PC have sold over 150 million and that doesn't include digital sales .

Original Crysis sold over 3 million copies (digital sales not included) in less than a year , which is great number of sales for a game that was made for Top of line PCs (Not even High End PCs) with limited marketing budget . Not to mention Crysis Warhead which was called as "Huge financial success" by Cevat Yerli . Most Playstation games as I mentioned before doesn't even sell 2 million copies in their life time except 1 or 2 games . Crysis was also published by EA , do you really expect them to release exclusive games for one platform , specially when control mechanics aren't complex and can work on a controller .?

#15 Posted by lostrib (32942 posts) -

dafuq is this shit

#16 Edited by remiks00 (1622 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Man I hoped for Dawn of War III but hell, this thread is still pretty epic.

Dawn of War sure as hell has the most epic quotes in any game, FAITH IS ETERNAL!

And thank you TC for that godly video.

"Faith is Eternal", good ol Dreadnought, :)

#17 Posted by evildead6789 (7261 posts) -

@lostrib said:

dafuq is this shit

ALL SHALL BURN

#18 Edited by evildead6789 (7261 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

@evildead6789 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Revenue

Latest GDC Survey

The games made for PC first sell more on PC . Diablo 3 , Portal 2 , Half Life 2 , Witcher 2 , Broken Sword and so on all sold better on PC . Hell even Alan Wake was more profitable on PC . Other hand PS games barely sell over 2 million copies . TLOU is best selling and now at 6 million . This SIms franchise on PC have sold over 150 million and that doesn't include digital sales .

Original Crysis sold over 3 million copies (digital sales not included) in less than a year , which is great number of sales for a game that was made for Top of line PCs (Not even High End PCs) with limited marketing budget . Not to mention Crysis Warhead which was called as "Huge financial success" by Cevat Yerli . Most Playstation games as I mentioned before doesn't even sell 2 million copies in their life time except 1 or 2 games . Crysis was also published by EA , do you really expect them to release exclusive games for one platform , specially when control mechanics aren't complex and can work on a controller .?

Some games maybe selling better but it's because they either released on the pc first or were mainly catering a pc crowd.

Halflife 2 is a 10 year old game and was released on the pc a year before the xbox origninal. Portal pretty much followed in that trail, since it was sold in the orange box. Diablo III maybe on console now too, but it's still more of a pc game, the witcher came out on pc only and the witcher 2 was made with a pc in mind. Alan wake is just an exception that confirms the rule. The sims is mostly a pc game, mouse & keyboard is much easier to play this game.

If crysis was such a success why didn't they stick with the pc then? I mean why change a winning team, I doubt crytek, or ea management would be that stupid.

#19 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2175 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@evildead6789 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Revenue

Latest GDC Survey

Some games maybe selling better but it's because they either released on the pc first or were mainly catering a pc crowd.

Halflife 2 is a 10 year old game and was released on the pc a year before the xbox origninal. Portal pretty much followed in that trail, since it was sold in the orange box. Diablo III maybe on console now too, but it's still more of a pc game, the witcher came out on pc only and the witcher 2 was made with a pc in mind. Alan wake is just an exception that confirms the rule. The sims is mostly a pc game, mouse & keyboard is much easier to play this game.

If crysis was such a success why didn't they stick with the pc then? I mean why change a winning team, I doubt crytek, or ea management would be that stupid.

You just proved my point . PC gamers give developers money when they show some respect and make games primarily for their platform and console gamers do the same when they create console centric games . It is not rocket science . As far as Crysis goes , a game never goes to other platforms if it is not profitable . If a game is total failure then devs kill the IP and never go back to it . Where is Dead Space 3 for Wii U because as far as we know ; EA was disappointed by sales of it on PC , PS3 and Xbox 360.? The fact is : Industry is full of liars .

On other hand Blizzard also started on consoles and now their 90% of their games are PC exclusives . So you can accuse consoles for being home of pirates too in that case . Some devs leave PC , other leave consoles , it goes both ways . At the end of the day , some genres are more successful on PC , others are more successful on consoles because it all depends on demand of the product on each system .

#20 Posted by evildead6789 (7261 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

@evildead6789 said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

Revenue

Latest GDC Survey

You just proved my point . PC gamers give developers money when they show some respect and make games primarily for their platform and console gamers do the same when they create console centric games . It is not rocket science . As far as Crysis goes , a game never goes to other platforms if it is not profitable . If a game is total failure then devs kill the IP and never go back to it . Where is Dead Space 3 for Wii U because as far as we know ; EA was disappointed by sales of it on PC , PS3 and Xbox 360.? The fact is : Industry is full of liars .

On other hand Blizzard also started on consoles and now their 90% of their games are PC exclusives . So you can accuse consoles for being home of pirates too in that case . Some devs leave PC , other leave consoles , it goes both ways . At the end of the day , some genres are more successful on PC , others are more successful on consoles because it all depends on demand of the product on each system .

Sure they give devs money to show respect on single player games, maybe in your utopian world but this is reality. Piracy has always been a much bigger problem on the pc for reasons that everyone knows.

Besides crysis 1 did went to the console platform because it got such a great name and crysis may have sold a lot of copies, crytek ceo still complained about piracy of the pc the moment he said he wasn't going to develop for the pc anymore, he still did but it was a console port that then was improved to use the pc directx 11 capabilites.

There an article about it here (and it's from 2008)

As for games that work best with mouse & keyboard , it's pretty obvious they go to the pc market only but this is besides the point. I was talking about AAA games (or games in general) that could be played with a controller also.

#21 Posted by Ballroompirate (22170 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Isn't there a few in the works?

I know the RTS is on hold, but there's suppose to be a MMO then there's that spin off game that's being made on steam.