The Dark Souls of TRPG's, has Arrived

#1 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/06/16/natural-doctrine-the-unforgiving-soul-crushing-srpg-that-plans-to-destroy-players/89603/

If it's as hard as being reported, gonna rival even the hardest of pc tactical titles.

#2 Edited by Blabadon (27999 posts) -

Soul crushing SRPGs are like a dime a dozen.

#3 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7754 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

Soul crushing SRPGs are like a dime a dozen.

Yes. It's a great genre, though.

#4 Posted by Zidaneski (8482 posts) -

I might give the game a shot. It will be truly akward going from Disgaea to...this.

#6 Posted by BldgIrsh (2989 posts) -

Idk. Qwop is pretty damn hard.

#7 Posted by jg4xchamp (49491 posts) -

Nis games are the video game equivalent of tuberculosis.

#8 Edited by Heil68 (46421 posts) -

#9 Edited by mikhail (2697 posts) -

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

#10 Posted by MonsieurX (31375 posts) -

I hope this is a Vita game,looks like PS2 graphics

#11 Posted by freedom01 (805 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

I hope this is a Vita game,looks like PS2 graphics

its for PS3, PS4, and Vita

#12 Posted by lostrib (41197 posts) -

@MonsieurX said:

I hope this is a Vita game,looks like PS2 graphics

it's a Vita, PS3, PS4 game

#13 Edited by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

@mikhail said:

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

Pretty cool there are still N̶E̶S̶ Atari 2600 games being released on PC. :-)

#14 Posted by MonsieurX (31375 posts) -

@freedom01 said:

@MonsieurX said:

I hope this is a Vita game,looks like PS2 graphics

its for PS3, PS4, and Vita

PS4 graphics king confirmed.

#15 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (15858 posts) -

Actually that looks kind of interesting. I've never seen an axe that doubles as a grenade launcher.

#16 Posted by lostrib (41197 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

@mikhail said:

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

Pretty cool there are still NES games being released on PC. :-)

That doesn't even make sense

#17 Posted by AmazonAngry (968 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@amazonangry said:

@mikhail said:

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

Pretty cool there are still NES games being released on PC. :-)

That doesn't even make sense

You not knowing what a personal attack is makes even less sense. :-/

#18 Posted by MonsieurX (31375 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

@lostrib said:

@amazonangry said:

@mikhail said:

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

Pretty cool there are still NES games being released on PC. :-)

That doesn't even make sense

You not knowing what a personal attack is makes even less sense. :-/

And that's a personal attack,go back to your cave.

#19 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9044 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

SO SNIPER

#20 Posted by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

@mikhail said:

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

Pretty cool there are still N̶E̶S̶ Atari 2600 games being released on PC. :-)

What's an NES Atari 2600?

Anyway, I'm happy that developers are allowed the freedom to release retro or indie games at no cost on PC. It's the only platform that gives independent developers the freedom to release games outside of the bounds of what the "Big 3" platform holders deem acceptable. A lot of professional developers that work on the big games you love got their start in exactly this way, and gaming would be much worse off as a whole if these people weren't allowed to make games and get them out in the public's hands for little to no cost. Open your eyes and look at the bigger picture for once.

#21 Posted by Ballroompirate (23586 posts) -

Supposedly they had to nerf the JP version cause people were complaining on how hard it was.

#22 Posted by bobbetybob (19296 posts) -

Never understood the point of games like this. People always say "oh well it's satisfying when you beat them!". Right, but I'm sure you'd get a sense of satisfaction after crawling through hot coals to get to a refreshing pint of beer at the other end, doesn't mean I want to do it.

#23 Posted by Zelda187 (1008 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:

Never understood the point of games like this. People always say "oh well it's satisfying when you beat them!". Right, but I'm sure you'd get a sense of satisfaction after crawling through hot coals to get to a refreshing pint of beer at the other end, doesn't mean I want to do it.

LOL

+1

So the big appeal to games like this and the "Souls" franchise is that...they're hard games that frustrate the shit out of you?

#24 Posted by lostrib (41197 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

@lostrib said:

@amazonangry said:

Pretty cool there are still NES games being released on PC. :-)

That doesn't even make sense

You not knowing what a personal attack is makes even less sense. :-/

Please stop spreading lies about me

#25 Posted by Boddicker (2984 posts) -

OK.........what's a TRPG?

I know what WRPG and JRPG stand for, but I'm hearing some other RPG acronyms thrown around.

#26 Edited by TheGreatGeneral (717 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

OK.........what's a TRPG?

I know what WRPG and JRPG stand for, but I'm hearing some other RPG acronyms thrown around.

Tactical RPG like valkyria chronicles, disgaea, front mission and the like.

People complaining how bad it looks should have seen the game a few months ago. It looks so much better now.

#27 Posted by Boddicker (2984 posts) -

@thegreatgeneral said:

@Boddicker said:

OK.........what's a TRPG?

I know what WRPG and JRPG stand for, but I'm hearing some other RPG acronyms thrown around.

Tactical RPG like valkyria chronicles, disgaea, front mission and the like.

People complaining how bad it looks should have seen the game a few months ago. It looks so much better now.

I guess that makes sense. I burned out on Disgaea a while ago but I've been meaning to giving Front Mission a try.

#28 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

Dafuq is going on with the camera? Looks horrible. I can't tell what the hell is even happening half the time.

#29 Posted by Jag85 (5055 posts) -

@mikhail said:

@amazonangry said:

@mikhail said:

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

Pretty cool there are still N̶E̶S̶ Atari 2600 games being released on PC. :-)

What's an NES Atari 2600?

Anyway, I'm happy that developers are allowed the freedom to release retro or indie games at no cost on PC. It's the only platform that gives independent developers the freedom to release games outside of the bounds of what the "Big 3" platform holders deem acceptable. A lot of professional developers that work on the big games you love got their start in exactly this way, and gaming would be much worse off as a whole if these people weren't allowed to make games and get them out in the public's hands for little to no cost. Open your eyes and look at the bigger picture for once.

So it's okay to release NES/2600-looking games on PC, yet not okay to release PS2-looking games on PS3/PS4/Vita? What kind of double-standard is this?

#30 Posted by mikhail (2697 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@mikhail said:

@amazonangry said:

@mikhail said:

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

Pretty cool there are still N̶E̶S̶ Atari 2600 games being released on PC. :-)

What's an NES Atari 2600?

Anyway, I'm happy that developers are allowed the freedom to release retro or indie games at no cost on PC. It's the only platform that gives independent developers the freedom to release games outside of the bounds of what the "Big 3" platform holders deem acceptable. A lot of professional developers that work on the big games you love got their start in exactly this way, and gaming would be much worse off as a whole if these people weren't allowed to make games and get them out in the public's hands for little to no cost. Open your eyes and look at the bigger picture for once.

So it's okay to release NES/2600-looking games on PC, yet not okay to release PS2-looking games on PS3/PS4/Vita? What kind of double-standard is this?

I never said it wasn't ok - I said Sony & Microsoft control what gets released on their consoles, whereas PC is open and anyone can release anything. The good stuff makes it and the crap fades away.

#31 Edited by Vaasman (11725 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Never understood the point of games like this. People always say "oh well it's satisfying when you beat them!". Right, but I'm sure you'd get a sense of satisfaction after crawling through hot coals to get to a refreshing pint of beer at the other end, doesn't mean I want to do it.

LOL

+1

So the big appeal to games like this and the "Souls" franchise is that...they're hard games that frustrate the shit out of you?

Souls games aren't frustrating unless you're genuinely shit. The games simply demand a investment of time and attention, and if you aren't willing to give it then yea they'll kick your teeth in. But even on the hardest bosses and even with lousy character builds, you have plenty of strategies and you can usually summon aid online. They are only unfair or unreasonable in very rare instances.

The game in the OP, on the other hand, looks more genuinely bad. Terrible art and presentation along with questionable mechanics. I could be wrong, it could just seem that way because the trailer isn't good.

#32 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2206 posts) -

Is that a Wii game?

#33 Posted by cainetao11 (18778 posts) -

@freedom01 said:

@MonsieurX said:

I hope this is a Vita game,looks like PS2 graphics

its for PS3, PS4, and Vita

Well it is the most powerful gaming console ever created

#34 Edited by Zidaneski (8482 posts) -

@Boddicker said:

@thegreatgeneral said:

@Boddicker said:

OK.........what's a TRPG?

I know what WRPG and JRPG stand for, but I'm hearing some other RPG acronyms thrown around.

Tactical RPG like valkyria chronicles, disgaea, front mission and the like.

People complaining how bad it looks should have seen the game a few months ago. It looks so much better now.

I guess that makes sense. I burned out on Disgaea a while ago but I've been meaning to giving Front Mission a try.

I know what that is like. Thankfully Disgaea 4 just came to vita this week so I'm back to uberpowering and exploiting times.

#35 Edited by Zelda187 (1008 posts) -

@Vaasman said:

@Zelda187 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Never understood the point of games like this. People always say "oh well it's satisfying when you beat them!". Right, but I'm sure you'd get a sense of satisfaction after crawling through hot coals to get to a refreshing pint of beer at the other end, doesn't mean I want to do it.

LOL

+1

So the big appeal to games like this and the "Souls" franchise is that...they're hard games that frustrate the shit out of you?

Souls games aren't frustrating unless you're genuinely shit. The games simply demand a investment of time and attention, and if you aren't willing to give it then yea they'll kick your teeth in. But even on the hardest bosses and even with lousy character builds, you have plenty of strategies and you can usually summon aid online. They are only unfair or unreasonable in very rare instances.

The game in the OP, on the other hand, looks more genuinely bad. Terrible art and presentation along with questionable mechanics. I could be wrong, it could just seem that way because the trailer isn't good.

No, not really.

I consider not having a pause button to be pretty goddamn frustrating. I have a young kid and when I hear him crying in the next room and need to go check on him, it's pretty fucking stupid that I can't pause my game in the meantime.

Hell, even if you don't have kids...sometimes the phone rings. Sometimes you have to take a piss. Maybe dinner is ready. Maybe the dog has to go for a walk...

This shit isn't incorporated into a game for legitimate difficulty reasons...it's there to frustrate and annoy you. Please give me one reason as to why I'm wrong...

#36 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17173 posts) -

More fuel for the "Hardcore" cancer of this industry.....

#37 Posted by Gue1 (11008 posts) -

looking decent at least.

#38 Edited by remiks00 (2323 posts) -

Honestly, this game reminds me of a game called "Operation Darkness" that I owned on Xbox 360. It was utter shit. I've followed Natural Doctrine for a while now because I was gonna pick it up for the Vita (lolVita), but it's not looking impressive at all.

#39 Posted by delete-EasyComeEasyGo (382 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@freedom01 said:

@MonsieurX said:

I hope this is a Vita game,looks like PS2 graphics

its for PS3, PS4, and Vita

Well it is the most powerful gaming console ever created

Indeed. It's sooo good to be a PS4 owner.

#40 Posted by Jag85 (5055 posts) -

@mikhail said:

@Jag85 said:

@mikhail said:

@amazonangry said:

@mikhail said:

It's pretty cool that there are still PS2 games being released, even in 2014.

Pretty cool there are still N̶E̶S̶ Atari 2600 games being released on PC. :-)

What's an NES Atari 2600?

Anyway, I'm happy that developers are allowed the freedom to release retro or indie games at no cost on PC. It's the only platform that gives independent developers the freedom to release games outside of the bounds of what the "Big 3" platform holders deem acceptable. A lot of professional developers that work on the big games you love got their start in exactly this way, and gaming would be much worse off as a whole if these people weren't allowed to make games and get them out in the public's hands for little to no cost. Open your eyes and look at the bigger picture for once.

So it's okay to release NES/2600-looking games on PC, yet not okay to release PS2-looking games on PS3/PS4/Vita? What kind of double-standard is this?

I never said it wasn't ok - I said Sony & Microsoft control what gets released on their consoles, whereas PC is open and anyone can release anything. The good stuff makes it and the crap fades away.

I thought you were being sarcastic with that PS2 comment... If you weren't, then never mind.

#41 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3210 posts) -

Seriously guys you gotta try harder than that.PS2 graphics in 2014 are unacceptable...... Same goes for all that 8-16 bit indie garbage.

There's a reason nvidia and AMD spend billions on RnD yearly. What a joke.......I refuse to waste my time on this crap when Dragon Age Inquisition,Witcher 3 and Bloodborn are just around the corner

#42 Posted by kinectthedots (2593 posts) -

Seriously this game looks like shit no matter what way I look at it. Please don't pull the ruputation of other games down but using it to hype shit like this, it's a freaking PS2 looking handheld game with no improvements or redeeming qualities for PS4.

EVEN if this was a straight up PS2 game, I would say it looks like trash. As someone who loves JRPGs that is saying a lot.

#43 Posted by Jag85 (5055 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr said:

Seriously guys you gotta try harder than that.PS2 graphics in 2014 are unacceptable...... Same goes for all that 8-16 bit indie garbage.

There's a reason nvidia and AMD spend billions on RnD yearly. What a joke.......I refuse to waste my time on this crap when Dragon Age Inquisition,Witcher 3 and Bloodborn are just around the corner

Indie developers don't have the budgets to create games with the latest "HD" graphics.

#44 Edited by faizanhd (423 posts) -

Why is this in system wars ? This should be in general game discussion.

#45 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17173 posts) -

@Jag85

They do.... These guys just didn't do it.

#46 Posted by Vaasman (11725 posts) -

@Zelda187 said:

@Vaasman said:

@Zelda187 said:

@bobbetybob said:

Never understood the point of games like this. People always say "oh well it's satisfying when you beat them!". Right, but I'm sure you'd get a sense of satisfaction after crawling through hot coals to get to a refreshing pint of beer at the other end, doesn't mean I want to do it.

LOL

+1

So the big appeal to games like this and the "Souls" franchise is that...they're hard games that frustrate the shit out of you?

Souls games aren't frustrating unless you're genuinely shit. The games simply demand a investment of time and attention, and if you aren't willing to give it then yea they'll kick your teeth in. But even on the hardest bosses and even with lousy character builds, you have plenty of strategies and you can usually summon aid online. They are only unfair or unreasonable in very rare instances.

The game in the OP, on the other hand, looks more genuinely bad. Terrible art and presentation along with questionable mechanics. I could be wrong, it could just seem that way because the trailer isn't good.

No, not really.

I consider not having a pause button to be pretty goddamn frustrating. I have a young kid and when I hear him crying in the next room and need to go check on him, it's pretty fucking stupid that I can't pause my game in the meantime.

Hell, even if you don't have kids...sometimes the phone rings. Sometimes you have to take a piss. Maybe dinner is ready. Maybe the dog has to go for a walk...

This shit isn't incorporated into a game for legitimate difficulty reasons...it's there to frustrate and annoy you. Please give me one reason as to why I'm wrong...

You are wrong, actually. The game has constant online functions which is why there is no pause. But the game saves your position, and you can quit out to the menu at any time. No reason you can't stop playing when you want to. Only place it's even remotely a problem is on a boss fight where it'll reset the boss hp and stick you outside of the boss door.

#47 Edited by cfisher2833 (2150 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@ShepardCommandr said:

Seriously guys you gotta try harder than that.PS2 graphics in 2014 are unacceptable...... Same goes for all that 8-16 bit indie garbage.

There's a reason nvidia and AMD spend billions on RnD yearly. What a joke.......I refuse to waste my time on this crap when Dragon Age Inquisition,Witcher 3 and Bloodborn are just around the corner

Indie developers don't have the budgets to create games with the latest "HD" graphics.

Personally I could give a shit less if this game isn't super amazing looking (my issue is with the game's horrendous camera), but this statement simply isn't true. With modern engines, it's very much possible to have amazing looking games with even small development studios. The Forest for instance is one of the best looking Unity games and it's only made by four people.

#48 Edited by Jag85 (5055 posts) -

@cfisher2833 said:

Personally I could give a shit less if this game isn't super amazing looking (my issue is with the game's horrendous camera), but this statement simply isn't true. With modern engines, it's very much possible to have amazing looking games with even small development studios. The Forest for instance is one of the best looking Unity games and it's only made by four people.

The Forest is a PC game. Natural Doctrine is a PS Vita handheld game.

#49 Posted by funsohng (28819 posts) -

And here I was expecting a really masochistic D&D offshoot or something.

@Jag85 said:

@cfisher2833 said:

Personally I could give a shit less if this game isn't super amazing looking (my issue is with the game's horrendous camera), but this statement simply isn't true. With modern engines, it's very much possible to have amazing looking games with even small development studios. The Forest for instance is one of the best looking Unity games and it's only made by four people.

The Forest is a PC game. Natural Doctrine is a PS Vita handheld game.

Also on PS4. And being on Vita doesn't excuse it from looking like an ass.