The cost of running "Next Gen"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lanfeix
Member since 2006 • 459 Posts

if you brought a console, some games and some controllers you could be lulled into thinking thats there is no more in the way of cost. When you Electric bill comes in you will see how much it cost to run

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-1.htm

The Wii wins the cost because it was built to use barely energy, but its still something to think about.

Also if the Wii is so energy effient will the Next Nintendo portable will it be @ the GC power?

Avatar image for Mikazukinoyaiba
Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mikazukinoyaiba
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts
I don't really worry about energy efficiency... in fact the only reason I was concerned in ANYWAY is because of the Wiiconnect24 and that the Wii will be on non-stop and will be connected online. (I don't know if the 360 or PS3 is online 24/7 as well). I don't pay the electric bill and frankly if I make so little that I do have to worry about such a thing, a system should be the last thing I play or purchase. I should be using that freetime to get more hours or a better paycheck.
Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Lanfeix
[QUOTE="Mikazukinoyaiba"]I don't really worry about energy efficiency... in fact the only reason I was concerned in ANYWAY is because of the Wiiconnect24 and that the Wii will be on non-stop and will be connected online. (I don't know if the 360 or PS3 is online 24/7 as well). .

$1 a month to run Wii 24 connect, not that there is any realy reason to use 24 connect untill there are some games that use it
deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
thats a good thing for the our planet that wii is good with power. also its good for my old house cus if i use alot of power it gives my house a black out
Silvereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Silvereign
Member since 2006 • 3006 Posts
[QUOTE="Mikazukinoyaiba"]I don't really worry about energy efficiency... in fact the only reason I was concerned in ANYWAY is because of the Wiiconnect24 and that the Wii will be on non-stop and will be connected online. (I don't know if the 360 or PS3 is online 24/7 as well). I don't pay the electric bill and frankly if I make so little that I do have to worry about such a thing, a system should be the last thing I play or purchase. I should be using that freetime to get more hours or a better paycheck.

/thread
Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mikazukinoyaiba
Something interesting I noticed, as expected when all of the consoles are turned off they use up some power. But could anyone explain to me how and why? I thought only the Wii had a "standby" mode, is it because while the PS3 and 360 are off they are still using power for their internal clocks and minor functions? Or do they have standby as well?
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

thats a good thing for the our planet that wii is good with power. also its good for my old house cus if i use alot of power it gives my house a black outdeadmeat59

Lol, that must be fun :lol:  My dad has the same problem at his photo studio when he tries to run the Coffee maker and the Air conditioner at the same time :lol:

Here's a present for you :wink: :idea:

Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lanfeix
[QUOTE="Mikazukinoyaiba"]Something interesting I noticed, as expected when all of the consoles are turned off they use up some power. But could anyone explain to me how and why? I thought only the Wii had a "standby" mode, is it because while the PS3 and 360 are off they are still using power for their internal clocks and minor functions? Or do they have standby as well?

Its to do with stand by systems and the transformer, notice how when you plug in the Console you get a surge, but with the standby systems you dont. Iits also that little red Led that uses up energy
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Silvereign"][QUOTE="Mikazukinoyaiba"]I don't really worry about energy efficiency... in fact the only reason I was concerned in ANYWAY is because of the Wiiconnect24 and that the Wii will be on non-stop and will be connected online. (I don't know if the 360 or PS3 is online 24/7 as well). I don't pay the electric bill and frankly if I make so little that I do have to worry about such a thing, a system should be the last thing I play or purchase. I should be using that freetime to get more hours or a better paycheck.

/thread

not everyone is free of bill paying responsibilities like mikaz ;) trust me. it all adds up when you have to pay all the bills.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
    Wow. At peak, they use about as much power as two light bulbs. I better watch out. That might tack on a few dollars a month...
Lanfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lanfeix
    Wow. At peak, they use about as much power as two light bulbs. I better watch out. That might tack on a few dollars a month...SpruceCaboose
11 Watts + 11 Watts = 186.5 watts to 199.7 watts?
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
Wow. At peak, they use about as much power as two light bulbs. I better watch out. That might tack on a few dollars a month...SpruceCaboose
what light bulbs do you use? most ppl have switched over to fluorescent lights and now save more than the price of xbox live for a year.
redneckdouglas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 redneckdouglas
Member since 2005 • 2977 Posts
Kids worried about electricity bill. :lol:Hand over that problem to your parents please. Last time I checked, I don't turn my 360 longer than 1 hour, PC runs on a very low power + underclocked, TVs are all LCDs. Now stop playing games for 5+ hours and your parents will actually thank you for it. Matter of fact, your future-self will.
Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mikazukinoyaiba
Kids worried about electricity bill. :lol:Hand over that problem to your parents please. Last time I checked, I don't turn my 360 longer than 1 hour, PC runs on a very low power + underclocked, TVs are all LCDs. Now stop playing games for 5+ hours and your parents will actually thank you for it. Matter of fact, your future-self will.redneckdouglas
Not everyone here are kids.... I don't know how many but there is a significant number of users who do live on their own.