The Coalition On Why It Didn't Do A Gears of War Collection

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Today at a panel at San Diego Comic-Con, Gears of War developer The Coalition revealed that it was resources and time kept them from doing a full remaster of the entire Gears of War series. The studio is developing Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, but opted to stop at the first game instead of remaking the series like Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

When asked why the studio is only remaking the first Gears of War game, a team member responded by saying it was difficult enough doing a single remaster. He said that the studio isn't big enough or well-versed enough in developing a Gears game to take on a remake of the entire series. "It's really hard work [to remaster an entire series]," he explained "It takes a long time. It took us in the end 16-18 months to do the first one, and to try and do three games... How many people would we need to have? It just wasn't logistically or physically or technically possible. For us it was really about what can we do, what can we focus on."

"We had a brand new studio which had never made a Gears game before, and having to go in and remaster--because we went right down to the studs of this thing--meant that everyone had to learn what it takes to make a Gears of War game. It was sort of this on-ramp to the franchise to get ready for Gears of War 4."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why.../1100-6428777/

Personally, I think that is a very refreshingly honest answer- it's a new development team, that didn't have the resources, so it stuck to not biting off more than it could chew.

That, plus the amount of work that has evidently gone into this remaster means that I can't exactly continue to complain about this like I used to.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

"We would've made a broken product like the MCC if we attempted it"

Ryno1179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ryno1179
Member since 2015 • 187 Posts

I don't see why they didn't remaster the first one and just throw the 2nd and 3rd on there straight from the 360. Halo:MCC just remastered #2 and ported the other games from the 360.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Sounds about right. Look at how the MCC wound up. 343 wasn't enough to take on all of it, so they hired a bunch of other studios. Didn't end up brilliantly.

Having said that, I don't care for just one game like that. I played the beta, and while I dig the Gears 3 mechanics, it's not enough for me to drop 40 on it.

Rare Replay is where it's at. So many games in there I haven't played, and I'm glad I'm gonna be able to check those out for the ridiculously cheap price.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Good.

Less remasters/collections is always a good thing.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I knew devs will hit a wall with remasters and hd collection.

The time they spend is reaching AAA levels of developing , so i hope they end it this gen sooner then later.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

"It's really hard work [to remaster an entire series]," he explained "It takes a long time".

Quit whining and get on with it you lazy SOB. Worst excuse I've ever heard. I'm not going to remaster all 3 because it sounds too much like work. ffs.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Hmm I just figured Microsoft didn't want Gears 2 and 3 on PC which would give signs that 4 is likely to also to come and stagnate XB1 sales.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

And conveniently for them it goes without saying that they can charge $160 for four $40 remakes instead of $60 for one consumer-convenient collection. Not saying that's entirely why, just a happy side effect of their original reasons. If they really are a small team without the resources IMO they shouldn't be doing a remaster period, they should have 100% of their resources on the next Gears game. Instead, outsource the project to a third party that can handle it.

And that does for every other game doing the remaster / modern HD port or just next gen collection of their games. I'm surprised publishers let their talented studios waste time with this, and how it hasn't become a publishing standard to outsource this kind of work to other studios so their top studios can work on new games. I mean, take Silicon Knights for instance, couldn't finish games to save their life, but when it came to remaking something like MGS1 with a little assistance they were actually able to do okay. After all, they were just porting and enhancing a game that was already done. They didn't have to waste resources doing writing, motion capture, or designing the game itself from the ground up, they're simply porting, doing a little voice work, adding a first person perspective, nothing major. Any no talent assclowns can do that, so save the HD port / remasters / collections to studios like that.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blueinheaven

@lamprey263 said:

And conveniently for them it goes without saying that they can charge $160 for four $40 remakes instead of $60 for one consumer-convenient collection.

I thought that at first but I think we're close enough to the release of 4 now they'll just completely skip the others which actually quite stupid. Zero incentive for people who never played Gears to go straight from 1 to 4. People hate feeling they're missing out on something.

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#12 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

This game existed on PC and it took 18-months to port? Likely...

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Yeah I remember Rod saying something similar during the E3 interviews. Makes sense, especially since this is more than just a small cash in via minor visual upgrades. Good stuff.....only thing I would say, as some people have pointed out, is that it would have been cool if they were able to add horde on there, but I'm still getting it on day 1, had a great time with the beta.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Smart answer really, but it's still shitty we're getting a remaster of a game that already came out on PC.

It's absolutely hilarious to see Cliffy trying to cater to the PC crowd now for his new arena shooter after all the shit he said about the platform before.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Here's the real reason... Money!

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

Cause MS already has one series with an utterly destroyed reputation this gen, can't have two.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blueinheaven

@davem1992 said:

Cause MS already has one series with an utterly destroyed reputation this gen, can't have two.

Which series is that? Can't wait for Halo 5 and I don't think any other Halo fan will think differently.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 davem1992

@blueinheaven said:
@davem1992 said:

Which series is that? Can't wait for Halo 5 and I don't think any other Halo fan will think differently.

Mhm you guessed the series; of course the diehard Halo fanboys are gonna just accept it, non-fanboys are wiser at least.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blueinheaven

@davem1992 said:
@blueinheaven said:
@davem1992 said:

Mhm you guessed the series; of course the diehard Halo fanboys are gonna just accept it, non-fanboys are wiser at least.

That's fair enough isn't it? People like me who love Halo will buy Halo 5. People who don't like Halo won't. No problem there that I can see. I'll ignore your puerile 'fanboy' drivel.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 davem1992

@blueinheaven said:
@davem1992 said:
@blueinheaven said:
@davem1992 said:

That's fair enough isn't it? People like me who love Halo will buy Halo 5. People who don't like Halo won't. No problem there that I can see. I'll ignore your puerile 'fanboy' drivel.

Whatever helps you sleep

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Man that name makes me so mad every time I see it lol.

How do you go from quite possibly the coolest sounding studio name, and coolest logo/branding ever, to some generic shit like "The Coalition"?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blueinheaven

@StrongDeadlift said:

Man that name makes me so mad every time I see it lol.

How do you go from quite possibly the coolest sounding studio name, and coolest logo/branding ever, to some generic shit like "The Coalition"?

It sounds really dodgy doesn't it? In political terms it's a recipe for disaster every single time without fail yet they thought it somehow sounded 'cool'. Weirdness. And yet with all their combined might they struggled to do one remaster lol.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

A gears of war collection would be more reasons to buy an Xbone and they failed me. There are many third party studios that could have worked on it for at least 2 to 3 years and get it done by 2016 just before gears 4. Big mistake imo. Also the X360 is an easy machine to develop and port from no? This isn't Teh cell. Very disappointed.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

Why didn't anyone answer the logical follow-up question: why did you choose to remaster the first and not the third?

The answer is clear to me, because I'm not an idiot. I know that the only fucking good one was the first. Hopefully they realize that too and crib heavily from it while developing the fourth.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blueinheaven

@a-new-guardian said:

A gears of war collection would be more reasons to buy an Xbone and they failed me. There are many third party studios that could have worked on it for at least 2 to 3 years and get it done by 2016 just before gears 4. Big mistake imo. Also the X360 is an easy machine to develop and port from no? This isn't Teh cell. Very disappointed.

They've shot themselves in the foot a bit because most people were expecting a Gears collection after MCC. Ditto GoW 3. Both franchises look almost inconsequential this gen because they got their remasters 'wrong' lol the irony.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I wanted the trilogy more than just the first one..again.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah I don't mind... Gears 1 is the one I want to replay most.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I'll gladly take the first one at a reasonable price after playing the beta. Gives me a Gear fix until Gears 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@speak_low said:

If it takes too long, could they add the MP portions of Gears 2 & 3 (especially 3) and forget about the campaigns? There's no cutscenes that they'd have to completely redo.

Make them reasonably priced DLC add-ons and you now have Gears 1 SP/MP + remastered, 60fps versions of Gears 2/3 MP at the very least. It would really extend the life of Gears Ultimate without spending forever on it.

(And if you ask me, just skip Gears 2's MP and save even more time)

The second one had Horde Mode, though...

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Heil68 said:

You can always play it with BC on the One, Xbox Forever!

Ross_the_Boss6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ross_the_Boss6
Member since 2009 • 4056 Posts

It makes sense and is totally understandable. Still not sure if that means I want to buy it. I'm sure I'd have fun playing with my roommates.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

It's not even the same studio that's doing Gears 4 that's doing this remake, so don't hate on them. Besides if it took them 16-18 months then they could've made the whole trilogy but it'd came out Q4 2016, and it'd clash with projected Gears 4 release. Ideally they should offer 2,3, and judgement as digital 360 copies in this edition but I'm sure by the time BC officially premieres they'll have added Gears 2 and thus the entire saga would've been there and it someone was downloading games regularly from there, they'd have them all anyway.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Heil68 said:

You can always play it with BC on the One, Xbox Forever!

True, but it would of been nice to see updated graphics and enhancements. I may just gamefly this game though, no real hurry to play it.