The Cloud. Real or Bs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheExpert79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheExpert79
Member since 2006 • 623 Posts

This is not about Sony vs Microsoft. I'm rare on this board in the fact that I like them both. Both have their good and bad things.

The ps4 is clearly a more powerful machine out of the box. Microsoft has made a claim they can improve processing power by using the cloud. Does microsoft have an ace up it's sleeve and over time can use the cloud to improve the graphics and AI?

As more users connect to the cloud the theory is that the cloud because stronger. Does anyone know of a system that has proven that could work?

or

Is it all pr bs?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50494 Posts

Technically ti's real. Some of the promises are BS.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

It's real but it wont magically make games look better, that's just dreaming in another dimension. Never going to happen.

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

It's real, it has been real. And as a buzzword it now has irrational faith and fervor.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Not BS. PR BS.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@Heil68 said:

It's real but it wont magically make games look better, that's just dreaming in another dimension. Never going to happen.

The one thing it NEVER claimed to improve was graphical fidelity. AI processing, physics, etc...never claimed to make games look better.

Avatar image for AK_the_Twilight
AK_the_Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

#8 AK_the_Twilight
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

I'm more concerned that Microsoft reported that cloud updates are automatically activated and force a system restart...even when you're in the middle of a game.

TheExpert79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheExpert79
Member since 2006 • 623 Posts

A more direct question has there ever been examples of the clouds improving graphics power?

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

@TheExpert79 said:

A more direct question has there ever been examples of the clouds improving graphics power?

No but there have never been claims of it either, save for the rants of fanboys.

Multipass35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 Multipass35
Member since 2013 • 312 Posts

When has MS ever said they can render graphics using the cloud. Physics and AI yes.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@AK_the_Twilight said:

I'm more concerned that Microsoft reported that cloud updates are automatically activated and force a system restart...even when you're in the middle of a game.

CORRECTION: Our original story suggested that players' Xbox One consoles may reboot without warning due to cloud updates. This has been corrected to note that it's the host servers that may reboot during multiplayer games. We regret the error.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/06/xbox-one-cloud-updates-may-force-mid-game-reboot

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60679 Posts

@Spartan070 said:

@Heil68 said:

The one thing it NEVER claimed to improve was graphical fidelity. AI processing, physics, etc...never claimed to make games look better.

It's been claimed to be on many occasions. Look at how MS words their shit:

"Keeps getting better - "cloud powered" means Xbox One and games grow with you over time."

lol

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@Spartan070 said:

@Heil68 said:

It's been claimed to be on many occasions. Look at how MS words their shit:

"Keeps getting better - "cloud powered" means Xbox One and games grow with you over time."

lol

Well, if you look at something like OnLive it's certainly feasible however unlikely.

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

the cloud is real

if there is any truth to the claims remains to be seen.

2013? probably not.

2015? maybe some benefits to those on suitable internets

2017? I think by this time cloud could be impactful. its a long time though, and anyone can have a cloud. not just microsoft.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17400 Posts

To cows? Its BS

To lems? Its real

To the real world? Its real and can be used in some creative ways, but it wont help on screen graphics capabilities. You can offload background process to the cloud to free up CPU or GPU processing, but nothing major that is going to push it over the top. WIll mainly be used AI, leaderboards, achievements, maybe precedural birds or storms, realtime community events, maybe cross game alerts, etc

Avatar image for AK_the_Twilight
AK_the_Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

#18 AK_the_Twilight
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

@danabo said:

@AK_the_Twilight said:

CORRECTION:

Our original story suggested that players' Xbox One consoles may reboot without warning due to cloud updates. This has been corrected to note that it's the host servers that may reboot during multiplayer games. We regret the error.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/11/06/xbox-one-cloud-updates-may-force-mid-game-reboot

Sorry, I read that news elsewhere and didn't know it was corrected. Thanks for the update.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

The cloud is real. What MS is making gamers believe is pure BS. The fact is, online servers cannot be used for any frame processing whatsoever. Processors, be it GPUs or CPUs, calculate operations in teraflops. 1 tera = 1 trillion. 1 trillion flops per second means 1 flop is calculated in 0.000000000001 seconds. Even with the best latency possible, your online ping will be around 5ms = 0.005 seconds. How do you suppose a connection with a delay of 0.005 seconds keep up with calculations that are 9 orders or magnitude faster than that?

The cloud can only calculate stuff off-demand, but not on-demand

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

MS has never claim that the cloud was suppose to improve graphics.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

It's real and is being used by Forza 5 and the drivatars. I doubt anything graphically can come from it but they've already talked about AI and NPC's being cloud based.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I have to agree with this.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

There are some advantages, but you're not going to outsource computations to the cloud and increase performance in any substantial way.

It does present opportunities for different gameplay features not previously possible.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

The "cloud" is amazing for usability. Faster downloads, easier updates, cloud saves, streaming, sharing videos/pictures, all of that. The cloud is a great tool for consoles to have a very comprehensive online experience for the users. Both Sony and Microsoft are fully embracing this.

As for games it's going to be up to the developer. Games like Destiny, Watch Dogs, and The Division are all using the cloud to provide seamless multiplayer and break down the barriers that stand in the way with traditional dedicated servers or peer-to-peer connections.

You could argue that Microsoft has a better handle on the cloud. They have far more experience and a much more stable infrastructure. I doubt Sony's ability to match. PSN on the PS4 has a lot to prove. They do it well on the Vita, but the Vita isn't some runaway success with tens of millions sold and a lot of users constantly putting stress on their servers. Only time will tell if Sony can match Microsoft in that department.

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

To cows? Its BS

To lems? Its real

To the real world? Its real and can be used in some creative ways, but it wont help on screen graphics capabilities. You can offload background process to the cloud to free up CPU or GPU processing, but nothing major that is going to push it over the top. WIll mainly be used AI, leaderboards, achievements, maybe precedural birds or storms, realtime community events, maybe cross game alerts, etc

This is the closest thing to the the truth right here! also I want to add that the could wont be used for anything dynamic just for prescripted processes

xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts
@Basinboy said:

There are some advantages, but you're not going to outsource computations to the cloud and increase performance in any substantial way.

It does present opportunities for different gameplay features not previously possible.

You don't know what you are talking about please stop posting your lies... there ISNT anything that cloud can do that cant already or already has been done using dedicated servers

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts
@daious said:

MS has never claim that the cloud was suppose to improve graphics.

They were smart enough to not say it outright, but they didn't exactly made it clear that it couldn't either. They said something along the lines of each X1 had 3 times the processing power at its disposal in the cloud. It's a vague statement, but anyone not savvy enough on this would assume that the aforementioned processing power could work in tandem with the console hardware.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I don't know enough about it but I think if they deliver most of the promises being made it should be very exciting for Xbox One owners!

ihsanqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ihsanqueen
Member since 2008 • 913 Posts

I'd say it's real but Cloud make Xbone more powerful than PS4 is I'd say BS

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

The cloud is definately real but in terms of the gaming application of it, that all remains to be seen especially given there exist a lot of kinks that would need to be ironed out for it to be fully embraced as a main gaming hub

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

It's a real thing, but we are decades away from what MS was saying. The entire world would need FiOS to even get a fraction of that.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Basinboy

@xxgunslingerxx said:
@Basinboy said:

You don't know what you are talking about please stop posting your lies... there ISNT anything that cloud can do that cant already or already has been done using dedicated servers

I never said it could. Of what do you think MS' cloud is comprised?

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34  Edited By DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

Only when we get to the point where "Netflix" gaming with state of the art games at max settings becomes more feasible and practical on basic hardware. As thats pretty much the end game as far as the Cloud for gaming is concerned.

As far as Microsofts claims for the XBone in regards to the cloud and allowing each console to triple it's power. Extremely misleading not to mention complete and utter BS. All it really amounts to is less lag during online play and "persistent MMO worlds" that evolve while you're not playing. Which really amounts to this clan of guys was over here, now they're over there.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@xxgunslingerxx said:
@Basinboy said:

Uh the cloud is just a buzzword these days. So why you're trying to differentiate between the two is beyond me.

And yeah, there are plenty of features that can be done using the cloud that HAVEN'T been done before.

This sort of connectivity has never been pushed before in gaming until now. And I personally think single player games being connected to the cloud is a gamechanger.

urbansys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 urbansys
Member since 2003 • 235 Posts

Someone show one link where MS claimed to help directly help in game graphics? They have only claimed it can help take over AI, physics and what not which in turn can possibly help devs push graphics further in the game design. Ms and game devs obviously most prove they can do it.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5819 Posts

@psymon100 said:

the cloud is real

if there is any truth to the claims remains to be seen.

2013? probably not.

2015? maybe some benefits to those on suitable internets

2017? I think by this time cloud could be impactful. its a long time though, and anyone can have a cloud. not just microsoft.

I think you are spot on except you missed the fact anyone with several Billion pounds/dollars can have a cloud and that limits who can do it and doesn't include Sony, at least not to the same degree Microsoft are talking.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Basinboy

@urbansys said:

Someone show one link where MS claimed to help directly help in game graphics? They have only claimed it can help take over AI, physics and what not which in turn can possibly help devs push graphics further in the game design. Ms and game devs obviously most prove they can do it.

This references the cloud computing claims, but I'm not certain where the original statement is.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-in-theory-can-xbox-one-cloud-transform-gaming

The inference made by most of the internet is that by possessing 5TF of computational power, you can allocate that however you want (graphics and likewise).

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

@TheExpert79 said:

As more users connect to the cloud the theory is that the cloud because stronger. Does anyone know of a system that has proven that could work?

PCs have been doing this pretty much since the internet was invented.