The Cell and RSX unisen theory.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

black_awpN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 black_awpN1
Member since 2004 • 7863 Posts

Do you think the theory of the cell working with the RSX to provide mind blowing, 360 pwning graphics is legite? I remember reading it in a magazine.

In theory, the Cell can work in unisen with the RSX, making it so theres like two GPUs instead of one, thus creating better graphics and textures. THis can be skin textures, wall textures, character models, or any other graphical whatnots. and there will still be a existing CPU sice the Cell has 7 SPUs, where any remaining ones that arent used for graphics can act as the CPU.

Very interesting stuff once you think about it. (raises lemming flame sheild)

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts

I haven't heard anything proving or dispelling that rumor/myth. I would assume that because developers such as Naughty Dog, Insomniac, and Sucker Punch (which all have a huge amount of experience with the SPUs already) are talking about power use percentages but have never claimed the "unison" theory such as you are referring to.

Essentially, it's doubtful, but the Cell is inarguably an advantage point. It can aid with graphics rendering, that much we know, and it's VERY good at rendering graphics a la software rendering, previously thought extremely inefficient for a CPU.

Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

Well, it's possible to work it like that, nothing stops devs from doing so, and the SPEs are rather decent at processing much of the stuff a vidcard usually does.

Still, it sounds to me like a patently stupid, roundabout way of doing things. Why not get a processor calculated to process what's needed only, and beef up the videocard?

Oh, yes, Sony needed a good way to drive down costs on the cell.

OpticalCanine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 OpticalCanine
Member since 2006 • 1938 Posts
LOL go look at some more specs buddy, theyre equal except the 360 has more GPU.
Grive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Grive
Member since 2006 • 2971 Posts

LOL go look at some more specs buddy, theyre equal except the 360 has more GPU.OpticalCanine

Wrong.

The cell, under the right circumstances, can be ridiculously more powerful than the 360's CPU. Of course, "the right circumstances" are very, very rarely "game processing".

I'm sure if you got the cell to render the mandelbrot set or something like that it would leave the 360 in the dust.