"the bulk" of Crytek UK's Staff No Longer Going To Work

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

http://kotaku.com/sources-crytek-uks-staff-are-currently-on-leave-1599923133

There's still trouble at Crytek, the independent game developer behind games like Crysis andRyse. And as of yesterday, the bulk of employees at Crytek's UK office are no longer going to work, according to people familiar with the situation.1

This comes in the wake of numerous reports that Crytek, which has studios across the world,has had trouble paying staff on time. Though Crytek has publicly denied facing financial difficulties, I've heard from close to 20 current and former employees stating that, as we reported last week, paychecks have been late and a Ryse sequel was cancelled following a dispute with Microsoft over who would own the rights to the franchise.

New developments point to more trouble ahead. Over the past two days, I've spoken with four people connected to Crytek's UK studio, which is currently developing Homefront: The Revolution. According to those people, Crytek's UK staff have still not been paid the full amounts they are owed, and this week, according to two sources, the staff at Crytek's UK office handed in formal grievance letters and went home.

One person familiar with the studio estimates that around 100 people have left, though it's unclear how many people plan to leave permanently and how many would like to stay with Crytek UK, which has been consistently losing staff for the past few months.

Rumor around the studio is that Crytek and Homefront publisher Deep Silver are currently negotiating over what will happen next. Employees at Crytek UK, which is based in Nottingham, are hoping that Deep Silver will purchase the studio and continue funding development of Homefront: The Revolution, according to two people connected to the company.

"They have invested a lot in Homefront and will want to protect their investment," said one source.

For now, however, Crytek UK is in stasis as employees wait to see what will happen next.

Representatives for Crytek and Deep Silver did not respond to requests for comment.

That really sucks because Crytek UK is probably the most talented team of people they have there. Those are the original guys behind Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Timesplitters, and Homefront 2 looks awesome. One of my most anticipated games.

Somebody needs to don a cape and swoop in like captain save-a-ho and rescue them.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

I wonder if I could buy Crytek UK? £200K sound good enough?

Alcapello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Alcapello
Member since 2014 • 1396 Posts

Sony wing.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

Well that sucks.

I guess Crytek and Ryse might end up this gens Factor 5 and Lair. Ouch.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I can't say I'm not surprised. The quality of the "Crytek" brands games has been dropping since Crysis. They've certainly looked the part but not much else.

It's unfortunate these talented people are at the whim of money grubbing overlords, but at least they'll have the opportunity to move onto something better in time.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

I bid $1 for Crytek.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46226 Posts

Wait, I thought crytek said the previous news was greatly exaggerated and that it was outed by mad ex-employees.

Crytek UK will always be remembered as the studio that did Crysis 2&3 multiplayer... I guess...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@Sollet said:

Well that sucks.

More like this gens free radical design with Haze

bublover1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bublover1
Member since 2013 • 133 Posts

What a shame.

The good news is that no 3rd party will ever make an Xbox ONE exclusive game now, so that's a good thing for gamers.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

Anyone who buys Crytek would have to buy their debts...

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts

sad, sad situation.....

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k  Online

@bublover1 said:

What a shame.

The good news is that no 3rd party will ever make an Xbox ONE exclusive game now, so that's a good thing for gamers.

Insomniac and Remedy are working on Xbox One exclusives as we speak...

bublover1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bublover1

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bublover1 said:

What a shame.

Yes, because they expected the Xbone to lead sales this gen. Their decisions were premature and like how RYSE financially crippled Crytek, SSOD and QB will bankrupt Insomniac and Remedy.

Come to think of it, maybe this is exactly what MS wants so that they can easily acquire more 3rd party studios. Pretty disgusting tactic.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@bublover1 said:

Yes, because they expected the Xbone to lead sales this gen. Their decisions were premature and like how RYSE financially crippled Crytek, SSOD and QB will bankrupt Insomniac and Remedy.

I fear for Remedy really. MS totally screwed up with promoting Alan Wake, it sold badly and now there will never be a sequel.

I hope the game does well for them. But I'm not going to buy an Xbone to play it...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#16 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

The crytek man seems to be buying many studios for years without producing many games.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Sollet said:

Well that sucks.

Ryse/Crisys >Haze >Lair

Lair was complete garbage and so was Haze.

Crytek should have cut staff a long time ago. They have way, way to many employees to pay for the few games they were making. Besides Homefront, what else were all these developers working on?

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Sollet said:

Well that sucks.

Ryse/Crisys >Haze >Lair

Crytek should have cut staff a long time ago. They have way, way to many employees to pay for the few games they were making. Besides Homefront, what else were all these developers working on?

Yet both Lair and Haze scored better *snickers*

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blackace

@bublover1 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bublover1 said:

What a shame.

Come to think of it, maybe this is exactly what MS wants so that they can easily acquire more 3rd party studios. Pretty disgusting tactic.

I don't know why idiots keep saying that. Everyone knows launch titles usually don't sell millions of copies, especially if they are new IP's. If Crytek thought they were going to sell 2 million copies of that game, they were nuts. They probably sold between 700K - 800K, which isn't bad with a user base of about 5 million now. That's close to 20%. Even if Microsoft has another 3-4 million in XB1 sales, this game would have only sold about 1 million at best. Crytek crippled themselves by overstaffing with developers and not releasing people after projects were completed. It seems they held on to developers while trying to come up with new properties to develope. That's their own fault. Has nothing to do with Microsoft or XB1. Crysis 2 & Crysis 3 weren't huge sellers either. I think Sunset Overdrive will sell much, much better then Ryse. Don't know about Quantum Break though as we haven't see enough of the game.

bublover1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bublover1

@blackace said:

@bublover1 said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bublover1 said:

What a shame.

I don't know what idiots keep saying that. Everyone knows launch titles usually don't sell millions of copies, especially if they are new IP's. If Crytek thought they were going to sell 2 million copies of that game, they were nuts. They probably sold between 700K - 800K, which isn't bad with a user base of about 5 million now. That's close to 20%. Even if Microsoft has another 3-4 million in XB1 sales, this game would have only sold about 1 million at best. Crytek crippled themselves by overstaffing with developers and not releasing people after projects were completed. It seems they held on to developers while trying to come up with new properties to develope. That's their own fault. Has nothing to do with Microsoft or XB1. Crysis 2 & Crysis 3 weren't huge sellers either. I think Sunset Overdrive will sell much, much better then Ryse. Don't know about Quantum Break though as we haven't see enough of the game.

5 million shipped, not sold.

In any case, everyone knows that early adopters are the most hardcore of gamers. It's not an achievement when you get high attach rates on a console you just released less than a year ago.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blackace

@Sollet said:

@blackace said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Sollet said:

Well that sucks.

Ryse/Crisys >Haze >Lair

Yet both Lair and Haze scored better *snickers*

They did?

Haze: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/haze

Lair: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/lair

Ryse: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/ryse-son-of-rome

If you're talking about GS scores, we all know GS are the worse reviewers in the industry. Ryse is no where near a 4 score. The score on Metacritics is a more accurate score then anything on GS. They gave TLOU an 8. lol!!

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

as we reported last week, paychecks have been late and a Ryse sequel was cancelled following a dispute with Microsoft over who would own the rights to the franchise.

But Lem tell me MS always let developer keep right to game, and only evil sony demand right for exclusive like Bloodborne. They say this is why Sunset is exclusive lol. Maybe MS and Crytek over who has to keep right, neither of them want because it worth such sht.

Another studio kill by MS, TBlackaceHBO

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Crytek had far too much faith in Crysis 3 and Ryse.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

Yup. Both sales fell flat. Crysis 3 because they changed their formula so much. Ryse because it was terrible and xboxone sales weren't nearly as high as everyone predicted.

I loved Crysis 1 and Farcry. This is one of the studios that just plain killed itself by having AAA budget for games that were rubbish and signing god awful contracts with publishers.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@daious said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

Yup. Both sales fell flat. Crysis 3 because they changed their formula so much. Ryse because it was terrible and xboxone sales weren't nearly as high as everyone predicted.

I loved Crysis 1 and Farcry. This is one of the studios that just plain killed itself by having AAA budget for games that were rubbish and signing god awful contracts with publishers.

They just couldn't replicate the success that Far Cry and Crysis had :(

And yeah, the heads of Crytek made some really, really bad decisions.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

I hope someone helps bail em out. Well... Crytek UK anyway, I couldn't care less about the rest of Crytek (as a company, I do care about the employees losing their jobs however).

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blackace

@bublover1 said:

@blackace said:

@bublover1 said:

I don't know what idiots keep saying that. Everyone knows launch titles usually don't sell millions of copies, especially if they are new IP's. If Crytek thought they were going to sell 2 million copies of that game, they were nuts. They probably sold between 700K - 800K, which isn't bad with a user base of about 5 million now. That's close to 20%. Even if Microsoft has another 3-4 million in XB1 sales, this game would have only sold about 1 million at best. Crytek crippled themselves by overstaffing with developers and not releasing people after projects were completed. It seems they held on to developers while trying to come up with new properties to develope. That's their own fault. Has nothing to do with Microsoft or XB1. Crysis 2 & Crysis 3 weren't huge sellers either. I think Sunset Overdrive will sell much, much better then Ryse. Don't know about Quantum Break though as we haven't see enough of the game.

In any case, everyone knows that early adopters are the most hardcore of gamers. It's not an achievement when you get high attach rates on a console you just released less than a year ago.

It was 5 million shipped back in April. It's now July. I'm sure they are over 5 million SOLD now. Just like the PS4 is over 8 million sold now, as they were 7 millions SOLD back in April.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58896 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

Blame the marketing team, these are most likely the people who led them away from pc and told them to chase after Call Of Duty and Microsoft exclusivity.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Mr-Kutaragi said:

as we reported last week, paychecks have been late and a Ryse sequel was cancelled following a dispute with Microsoft over who would own the rights to the franchise.

But Lem tell me MS always let developer keep right to game, and only evil sony demand right for exclusive like Bloodborne. They say this is why Sunset is exclusive lol. Maybe MS and Crytek over who has to keep right, neither of them want because it worth such sht.

Microsoft don't own Crytek so I don't know what the shit you're talking about. By this logic Sony killed Free Radical and Factor 5 with Lair and Haze.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

inb4 M$ buys them

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#31  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Sucks to see people lose their jobs.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

I guess that's what happens when you make a bunch of shit games. I wish the individual devs well but, really, what has Crytek made that was any good? The original Fry Cry and...and...?

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Daious

@bobbetybob said:
@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Microsoft don't own Crytek so I don't know what the shit you're talking about. By this logic Sony killed Free Radical and Factor 5 with Lair and Haze.

He is talking about the contract disputes not the sales. "By this logic Sony killed Free Radical and Factor 5 with Lair and Haze." doesn't work because it wasn't about contracts on the franchise.

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

So Ryse is at Fault for Crytek possibly becoming financially unstable, that's what is being said? Surely even the most ardent of Fanboy cant believe that a single game funded or at the very least part funded by Microsoft is to blame for these issues. What about the Crysis multiplat titles and the FTP title Warface, Crysis 2 only sold 3 million lifetime across all platforms, Crysis 3 even less than that. Who knows how much they paid for the Homefront IP or the cost of the studios they bought out. If these rumours are true then its nothing more than poor management on Cryteks part.

I have a feeling Microsoft could either buy them out if these rumours are true and have them develop the cry engine specifically for XB1 and PC or invest in them as they did years ago with Apple.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

@daious said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Mr-Kutaragi said:

He is talking about the contract disputes not the sales. "By this logic Sony killed Free Radical and Factor 5 with Lair and Haze." doesn't work because it wasn't about contracts on the franchise.

And if he google Free Radical Design he will be surprise of result...

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10431 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@daious said:

@JangoWuzHere said:

They just couldn't replicate the success that Far Cry and Crysis had :(

And yeah, the heads of Crytek made some really, really bad decisions.

yep very sad to see. cry engine 3 was a huge achievement - crysis 2 still looks better than the majority of new 360 games. and crysis 1 & far cry are bonafide pc classics. shows how precarious longevity is, even for the bigger studios, when two average games released back to back (c3 and ryse) are enough to send such a talented studio under

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

Thanks consoles.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blackace

@Jankarcop said:

Thanks consoles.

They make PC games too. lol!! It's a lose for everyone, not just consoles. Someone will probably buy them out though I bet.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jankarcop

@blackace said:

@Jankarcop said:

Thanks consoles.

They make PC games too. lol!! It's a lose for everyone, not just consoles. Someone will probably buy them out though I bet.

You don't get it.

It's the creation of their console centric titles that killed them. Those games also started scoring lower than their PC centric titles.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@bublover1 said:

I fear for Remedy really. MS totally screwed up with promoting Alan Wake, it sold badly and now there will never be a sequel.

I hope the game does well for them. But I'm not going to buy an Xbone to play it...

No need to fear for Remedy. Quantum Break is 2nd party game. It's owned and funded by MS. If the game does poorly Remedy will only lose some bonuses and probably MS' support. Then they just have to do something smaller.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44552 Posts

Crytek UK didn't make Ryse, just saying, people keep saying it so people keep repeating it. Anyhow, Crytek should have never picked up Free Radical, you'd think after the failed "Halo Killer" Haze and the no show of Battlefronts III would been good reason to find another studio elsewhere.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k  Online
@Icarian said:

No need to fear for Remedy. Quantum Break is 2nd party game. It's owned and funded by MS. If the game does poorly Remedy will only lose some bonuses and probably MS' support. Then they just have to do something smaller.

So if, and I really hope it doesn't, QB would flop like Alan Wake did, than it will be MS who loses money and not Remedy ?

Alright, I can live with that.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

For crying out loud, please don't repost this Kotau crap.

Jason Schreier got a Gawker style hard on for this "story" after it popped up on a german blog. He's been begging for people to talk to him for over a week now, and if this is his result he hasn't gotten much. This is precisely the kind of shit that gives Gawker sites a bad name.

If Crytek collapses then we have a story. Until then this is distasteful gossip mongering, mixed in with rumor and hearsay.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Sony is buying Crytek, or most likely is going to hire a lot of their staff.

bublover1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bublover1

@blackace said:

@bublover1 said:

@blackace said:

@bublover1 said:

It was 5 million shipped back in April. It's now July. I'm sure they are over 5 million SOLD now. Just like the PS4 is over 8 million sold now, as they were 7 millions SOLD back in April.

No. Harrison just confirmed yesterday that figure was shipped, not sold-through.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jankarcop

I wish consoles would stop killing devs who were good once.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@Mr-Kutaragi said:

@daious said:

@bobbetybob said:
@Mr-Kutaragi said:

And if he google Free Radical Design he will be surprise of result...

I know who Free Radical are, the studio is still dead though, they went into administration and let most of their staff go and then they got bought by Crytek.

Anyway, contract disputes and Microsoft aren't what's killing them it's the shitty games they've made, that was my point. Ryse 2 being cancelled doesn't mean shit because they won't have done any work on it, it's not like they've been making the game for years and then MS shut it down.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Daious

@Jankarcop said:

I wish consoles would stop killing devs who were good once.

I think you are right about this one. They killed the appeal of PC gamers with Crysis 2 and 3. The console profit margin wasn't as big as they hoped. They expanded so much after consolifying their games. Now they are over-bloated with staff and are shoveling out mediocre games. It is pretty tragic.