The boring gameplay is the least of Ryse concerns

This topic is locked from further discussion.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

It will suck game play wise, and there is no way around it but what really kills the game is that it has no fantasy or magical stuff in it.

GOW is a close game that relies heavily on QTE and cinematics, and the main difference is GOW is set in a much more interesting world full of myths and magical creatures and Gods and this adds to the variety of the game which can make it easier to overlook the repetitiveness of the game.

The Roman era looks interesting at the first glance but the more I see, the less exciting it becomes, you will spend your time killing humans, one after another in the most boring fashions that we have been seeing.

Too sad that once a very good looking game is now nothing but a boring feast, even watching is boring.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Why on Earth, does it need fantasy/magic?

Lumpy311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lumpy311
Member since 2013 • 2009 Posts

I see you have played the entire game already, since you know how it's gameplay is exactly.

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

you really conviced me to cancel my Ryse preorder.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By 2mrw

@lundy86_4 said:

To add to the variety of this boring feast.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lundy86_4

@2mrw said:

@lundy86_4 said:

It can't have variety, besides those? Have you experienced all the gameplay, to say with certainty, that fantasy elements need to be included?

RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts

@lundy86_4: There are certain amounts of realism, and Ryse's realism makes it a boring movie, when it is trying to be a action game. If the game had a bit more fiction and flare to the actual gameplay, then maybe it would be saved.

Really though, this could of been a good movie, but now you have to pay $500 + $60 for the game, QTEs, and having to repeat the same actions over and over.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lundy86_4

@RAGEofSTUNTS said:

@lundy86_4: There are certain amounts of realism, and Ryse's realism makes it a boring movie, when it is trying to be a action game.

Really though, this could of been a good movie, but now you have to pay $500 + $60 for the game, QTEs, and having to repeat the same actions over and over.

Wow, amazing! Realism makes something boring. You learn something new every day.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 2mrw

@Lumpy311 said:

I see you have played the entire game already, since you know how it's gameplay is exactly.

It's not rocket science, if there was anything exciting, they would have shown it, unless they are so stupid to hide all the goodies when all they have been hearing is bad press.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@RAGEofSTUNTS said:

@lundy86_4: There are certain amounts of realism, and Ryse's realism makes it a boring movie, when it is trying to be a action game. If the game had a bit more fiction and flare to the actual gameplay, then maybe it would be saved.

YOU don't have to buy anything. It's the game looks appealing then you buy it, if not then don't. Don't pretend like you've played the game or have seen more than just a few minutes of it.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By 2mrw

@lundy86_4 said:

@2mrw said:

@lundy86_4 said:

It can't have variety, besides those? Have you experienced all the gameplay, to say with certainty, that fantasy elements need to be included?

I am not saying that the game must have fantasy/magic ... but the setting they are adopting is boring as hell .... spicing things up would cover for the boring and repetitive mechanics.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lundy86_4

@2mrw said:

@lundy86_4 said:

I am not saying that the game must have fantasy/magic ... but the setting they are adopting is boring as hell .... spicing things up would cover for the boring and repetitive mechanics.

So, you're of the opinion that the setting is boring. Excellent. On the flip-side, i'm getting a real Spartacus vibe, and I love that.

You're saying that a lack of magic/fantasy really kills the game, but I honestly don't see why. I'm over the GoW type games.

RAGEofSTUNTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RAGEofSTUNTS
Member since 2010 • 733 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@RAGEofSTUNTS said:

@lundy86_4: There are certain amounts of realism, and Ryse's realism makes it a boring movie, when it is trying to be a action game.

Wow, amazing! Realism makes something boring. You learn something new every day.

lrn2read

@kingtito said:

@RAGEofSTUNTS said:

YOU don't have to buy anything. It's the game looks appealing then you buy it, if not then don't. Don't pretend like you've played the game or have seen more than just a few minutes of it.

Never said I HAVE to buy anything, I just don't understand how any idiot would find something with such boring gameplay so appealing and use it as a incentive to buy a Xbone. The same people that think Ryse is actually good have seen just as much as I have, this entire forum is just making predictions and putting reasons for why their prediction will most likely be right.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

the game looks as fun as Big Rigs.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lundy86_4

@RAGEofSTUNTS said:

@lundy86_4 said:

@RAGEofSTUNTS said:

lrn2read

Oh, I read what you said. Your attempted quip about being a "movie" largely falls flat. It's as though realism has no place in games, which makes no sense.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 2mrw

@lundy86_4 said:

@2mrw said:

@lundy86_4 said:

So, you're of the opinion that the setting is boring. Excellent. On the flip-side, i'm getting a real Spartacus vibe, and I love that.

You're saying that a lack of magic/fantasy really kills the game, but I honestly don't see why. I'm over the GoW type games.

Good for you that you will overlook all the deal breaking flaws of the game but they are still there and they are obvious for everyone.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

TC, that's a very uncreative suggestion. Further, the basis you're going off is unjustified. At least play the game before stating any of this.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lundy86_4

@2mrw said:

@lundy86_4 said:

Good for you that you will overlook all the deal breaking flaws of the game but they are still there and they are obvious for everyone.

At the end of the day, if I enjoy it, what does it matter? I'm the person playing it. Why should I care what you think?

In all honesty, your initial premise is just outright flawed. If this game is terrible, then I likely won't buy it. That being said, i'm willing to actually wait it out and try it.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 2mrw

@trugs26 said:

TC, that's a very uncreative suggestion. Further, the basis you're going off is unjustified. At least play the game before stating any of this.

I am just comparing it to a very similar game that has the same mechanics but it was clever enough to cover its flaws this way .... it's actually a very practical suggestion and we know it works, not to mention magic by itself is very creative and interesting :D

I would love to play the game, unfortauntely it doesn't look interesting for me anymore .... it caught my eye at first but there is no substance to it.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@2mrw: What you're suggesting is to essentially change the game. Try to suggest something that is parallel with what the game is about (ie realism, replicating roman times, etc.), and making it fun. It's a cop out just to say "Oh just throw magic in there and be like this other game".

BilkeLegenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BilkeLegenda
Member since 2009 • 1933 Posts

It's not Romanians, it is Romans. It all comes down to opinion in the end. I think Ryse will turn out to be a good game.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Gonna be funny when the supernatural stuff shows up and all the Roman history buffs immediately stop playing and destroy their copies.

I TOLD YOU ABOUT CRYTEK

I TOLD YOU, DAWG

psych2416256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By psych2416256
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts

aliens might as well show up in the last third because the game is already making a mockery of history.

and you don't need sci-fi to have diversive gameplay, just something more than attack block and finishers, maybe different weapons and ranged weapons that work god forbid. watch this game score 5/10 on gamespot

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

How the hell do you have like 4400+ posts?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

It worked for Shadow of Rome.

But Shadow of Rome's combat is brilliant, so I guess that helps.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Lem Logic 101:

Make fun of MGS4 unless it is being rumored to come to the 360. Eventually settle on the notion that it is Movie Gear Solid huehuehue

HYPE RYSE TO DEATH!!!!!1111111111seventyfourrrrrrrrr

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18251 Posts

It looks boring as hell...but to claim that the real reason of why this game will fail is the lack of a fantasy element?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44544 Posts

It's not really the gameplay that looks boring, it's the combat animation that seems to put a damper on things, for instance the attack animations appear very repetitive and I'm not sure at this time if that's because of people's unfamiliarity with the game or a glaring flaw. For instance are there multiple combat attack buttons and people who are trying the game demos are only favoring one attack or are all the attack animations working off one attack button? For a game like Arkham Asylum or Arkham City, there's really only one main attack button but the attack animations are often varied and contextual and everything still remains very fluid and stylish. For Ryse they hired some expert who understands ancient combat to assist with the combat animations, which IMO might have caused problems if he was the one doing the combat animation captures if he's never done anything like that before.

Regardless of whether it's great or just turns out to be an average game, I think the setting will attract people to play this kind of game. As long as it's not horrible I think it could attract a decent crowd, and maybe lead to a sequel in which they can improve on their design with.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Ah I think Crytek would have done much better if they let the Darksider's team handle the game design and the core Crytek team handle the programming/technical stuff.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

So he/she never played the game and didn't post any links to where people have actually played it. All we get is conjecture from Sony Fan about how bad the game is based on videos.

This is why Sony Fan are clowns in SW.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I would say maybe a 2013 version of Swords of the Berzerk?

NameIess_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NameIess_One
Member since 2013 • 1077 Posts

It looks boring enough as it is, so I really doubt a fantasy setting would help.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

@2mrw said:

'The Romanian era looks interesting at the first glance..... '

While I get what you were trying to say, I just had to laugh when you said 'The Romanian Era'.

This is not a game about gypsies or dracula.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5859 Posts

Does anyone on these forums have a clue what the gameplay will be like???

It looks good, there are hints of a good single player game, multiplayer is where its suspect.

Its like saying Killzone will be a boring FPS offering nothing different. Nobody knows until you get it.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

@2mrw: this fails on so many damn ways. Instead of getting into it, just don't make anymore threads. Thank you for your cooperation.

GravityX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GravityX
Member since 2013 • 865 Posts

@2mrw: Ryse's main character is killed. And resurrected from the dead. Once he is resurrected he will have gifts or powers.

Use the internet peoples.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I will be honest, the gameplay mechanic does not do the game justice. Like the game looks so brilliant, you cannot help but wonder why Crytek decided to go with an Arkham/GOW type game, it is not as fast as both so it does not give that action feel, if they wanted it to be slow and methological, they should have used something like Dark Souls/Dragons Dogma

ImBatman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ImBatman-
Member since 2013 • 1279 Posts

I disagree. The main problem with Ryse is the gameplay. It's a shame since it's such a cool setting. I can't see how anyone could stand/sit playing this for more than 10 minutes.

It's pretty much Batman Arkham City but everything except for the combat is taken away. On top of it being extremely linear, even more linear than games like Uncharted. Even the combat is a bit more dumb downed than in Arkham City, and that's pretty terrible considering most of the gameplay consists of combat, unlike in Batman where there are many things to do.

Game looks pretty though.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Eh, this is a pretty poor thread. It all comes down to personal preference.

Although Ryse is certainly boring, and its gameplay destroyed any interest I had in the game, the Roman republic/empire setting is one of my favourites. It's why I managed to enjoy Rome 2 a lot more than Shogun 2, even though Shogun 2 is technically the superior game.

bayboydray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bayboydray
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts

God your ignorant...so by watching the trailers everyone else has watched you know the entire inventory of RYSE? you know it wont have any magic crap in it how? You know the game will be boring how? How old are you is my question? judging by the amount of ignorance in your thread starting post... id hope you were a child so you could get a pass..if its idiots like you that we have to look forward to playing with on next gen consoles online communities then were in trouble. Id like my money back from my already bought and paid for PS4 and Xbox One and ill stick with my PC...wow!!

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

@Opus_Rea-333 said:

you really conviced me to cancel my Ryse preorder.

You pre-ordered Ryse?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@kingoflife9 said:

why are people so infatuated with this game?

My thoughts exactly they seem to be obessed with the game I've seen a few videos and the gameplay doesn't look boring I think the ones that keep bringing the same old stuff are the ones that are jealous because its a exclusive and it's not coming to a PS4.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By 2mrw

@sts106mat said:

@2mrw said:

The Romanian era looks interesting at the first glance but the more I see, the less exciting it becomes, you will spend your time killing humans, one after another in the most boring fashions that we have been seeing.

Romanian?

Rome = Italy Ryse is set during Roman times

Romania = a completely different country

My bad, fixed

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@2mrw said:

It will suck game play wise, and there is no way around it but what really kills the game is that it has no fantasy or magical stuff in it.

GOW is a close game that relies heavily on QTE and cinematics, and the main difference is GOW is set in a much more interesting world full of myths and magical creatures and Gods and this adds to the variety of the game which can make it easier to overlook the repetitiveness of the game.

The Roman era looks interesting at the first glance but the more I see, the less exciting it becomes, you will spend your time killing humans, one after another in the most boring fashions that we have been seeing.

Too sad that once a very good looking game is now nothing but a boring feast, even watching is boring.

It will not suck gameplay wise, and it is not a fantasy game.

Jesus, how jelly are you cows of Ryse? You never seem to stfu about it...

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#48 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Too many haterz bashing the game they want to see the game fail.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

One less game I have to buy when I do buy the xbone I reckon.