The biggest flop ever is Duke Nukem Forever.

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by kingoflife9 (1987 posts) -

hyped for 10 years, I think it got a 2 (not even worth it to search for the score). TLOU got a 10 on IGN, and is a 95 on metacritic. Halo wars got a 6.5 here lol.

#2 Edited by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

Who actually hyped DNF? Throughout its development it was an industry joke, and nobody actually expected it to be good. So when it turned to be, well, not very good, it didn't surprise anyone.

#3 Posted by millerlight89 (18567 posts) -

You didn't need to create a separate thread because you are upset.

#4 Edited by freedomfreak (40952 posts) -

8.0 still getting at people.

Divine McShea.

#5 Edited by cainetao11 (17741 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

hyped for 10 years, I think it got a 2 (not even worth it to search for the score). TLOU got a 10 on IGN, and is a 95 on metacritic. Halo wars got a 6.5 here lol.

Who was hyping Duke Nukem Forever here? Nobody thought that was going to be good when it came out. And LOL at using IGN and Meta for TLOU and going with the low GS score with Halo Wars. Why not at least go Meta for HW?

#6 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

I used to think Duke was only second to Doom. A great series that could only get better with a new age release. Well DN: Forever single handily killed the series "forever".

I still have hope for Doom someday again though.

#7 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3852 posts) -

Weird thing is.....

It's actually kinda fun....

#8 Posted by clyde46 (46632 posts) -

Still so mad. Still.

#9 Edited by comptonst88 (287 posts) -

I thought the game was pretty decent. No GOTY contender by any means but at least it was decent.

#10 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

the king is dead

#11 Posted by _Matt_ (8924 posts) -

You seem to be a little upset there, possibly something to do with TLOU. would you like a cookie? a Hot chocolate?

#12 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23433 posts) -

It has to be hyped to be flopped. Nobody was hyping Duke Nukem. It looked like last-gen garbage from the day Gearbox took it over.

The biggest flop in Gamespot history is either Twilight Princess of Gran Turismo 5.

#13 Posted by gameofthering (10321 posts) -

I still enjoyed it.

#14 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

A decade ago (even longer really) it looked awesome. It was only after the numerous engine changes and years of development time started to pile up that people became apathetic towards it.

No one was hyping it towards the end (or any time within the last 5 years), everyone knew it was going to be balls. But I doubt it's the last we'll see of Duke Nukem

#15 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

What I played of it was pretty shitty. Worst shooting I've ever seen in a game.

#16 Posted by Liquid_ (2761 posts) -

it was hyped?

#17 Posted by SexyJazzCat (988 posts) -

Pretty sure GTAV is the flop of the century.

#18 Posted by Liquid_ (2761 posts) -

@SexyJazzCat said:

tied with diablo 3

#19 Posted by fadersdream (3153 posts) -

The Last Guardian.

IF the game were actually in development for the bast 8 years then it would have cost untold millions in staff and development costs.

That, or it really hasn't been worked on in years and Sony keeps hyping a paperweight.

Either way it took a fledgling series and created ill will and mockery from something that was on its way to legendary status.

#20 Posted by Netherscourge (16328 posts) -

@Liquid_ said:

@SexyJazzCat said:

tied with diablo 3

Diablo 3 is only a flop on PCs. The console versions are superior.

#21 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16647 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines. And they both have the Gearbox logo on them.

Best company ever !

#22 Posted by gamesaredying (11 posts) -

Actually this game was pretty decent besides the horrible modern cliches sprint button, and regenerating health.

#23 Edited by HavocV3 (7947 posts) -

GT5 is the biggest flop.

-Incredibly long development time with a huge budget. (This led to years upon years of Forza trash talk)

-Became the largest hype thread ever on SW. (Halo Reach would have the biggest thread if GT5 never flopped)

-Posts like this one:

-Even that guy named -SWAG- broke off his pro-Sony act and spilled his heart out over the flop. Highly amusing for anyone who remembers him.

#25 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16647 posts) -

@gamesaredying said:

Actually this game was pretty decent besides the horrible modern cliches sprint button, and regenerating health.

Lol. DNF tried to make fun of modern games, like Halo. But the thing is: those games are a million times better. If you are going to make fun of games that have regen health, it helps if you don't do it worse.

Also the game has some of the worst and most frustrating platforming ever. "Derp, but you can throw with sh1t in our game"... I'd rather play with my own sh1t than play this piece of crap !

#28 Edited by millerlight89 (18567 posts) -

@Netherscourge said:

@Liquid_ said:

@SexyJazzCat said:

tied with diablo 3

Diablo 3 is only a flop on PCs. The console versions are superior.

8.5>>>8.0 DA

#29 Posted by cainetao11 (17741 posts) -

@HavocV3 said:

GT5 is the biggest flop.

-Incredibly long development time with a huge budget. (This led to years upon years of Forza trash talk)

-Became the largest hype thread ever on SW. (Halo Reach would have the biggest thread if GT5 never flopped)

-Posts like this one:

-Even that guy named -SWAG- broke off his pro-Sony act and spilled his heart out over the flop. Highly amusing for anyone who remembers him.

I remember that it was epic. Nothing like butthurt fanboys.

#30 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (14453 posts) -

I remember how hyped I was for DNF when it came out.

Oh god was that a bad game.

#31 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@HavocV3 said:

GT5 is the biggest flop.

-Posts like this one:

I remember that it was epic. Nothing like butthurt fanboys.

Wow.

Thank you Gran Turismo 5, you finally delivered me something.

#32 Posted by Ballroompirate (23046 posts) -

There's been bigger flops than DNF

Alpha Protocol- I'd have to say this is one of my fav "guilty pleasure" games but the amount of "what could've been" for AP is just insane. The overall product is flat and disappointing.

Diablo 3- True the console version is superior in every way since it's the "full patched" version. It took waaaaay to long for Blizzard to patch up/fix Diablo 3 to the point no one cares for it anymore

Aliens Colonial Marines- As someone who grew up on the Aliens franchise, this hit pretty hard for me, not to mention this game was MIA for so long just to be released half assed.

Too Human- Another game with so much potential and made by a half assed team of devs.

#33 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16647 posts) -

@sackguzzlers666 said:

@R4gn4r0k: it's some of the easiest platforming in any shooter i wish it was more difficult.

Even if the platforming wasn't bad it still has awful shooting mechanics, crappy level design, humour that wasn't funny at all, awful driving, braindead AI, ... what did the game do right again ?

I'm dead serious, playing with your own feces is more fun than trying to finish that sorry excuse for a game. It should've never been released. And comparing it to Half Life 2 ? Oh Randy, you liar.

#34 Posted by uninspiredcup (8986 posts) -

Shadow Warrior thankfully made up for Duke Nukem Forever.

#36 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16647 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Shadow Warrior thankfully made up for Duke Nukem Forever.

Finished the game yesterday. Shadow Warrior was so awesome ! Certainly my favourite FPS of the year.

#37 Posted by Lucianu (9447 posts) -

Don't remind me. That Frankenstein should have stayed a bed time story..

Good thing Duke Nukem 3D with the High Resolution Pack is a excellent old school shooter.

#38 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9014 posts) -

@kingoflife9 said:

Not for 10 years, kiddo, I remember reading first articles about it in September 1997 in a Polish magazine Reset, and in the same issue Max Payne 1 and Prey were also featured :D

#39 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16647 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@kingoflife9 said:

Not for 10 years, kiddo, I remember reading first articles about it in September 1997 in a Polish magazine Reset, and in the same issue Max Payne 1 and Prey were also featured :D

Prey, another huge flop.

When a game has been in development for so long it mostly ends up a disappointment. I hope the same won't happen to Half life 3

#40 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

Naw, I would say that was TP, a real classic flop.

#41 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

if you hyped up a game that came out of a ten year dev hell then i don't know what to tell you.

other than don't do that.

anyway the biggest flops this gen were gran turismo, lair, too human and haze.

#42 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Cows hyped TLOU as the 2nd coming of Christ

Nobody hyped Duke Nukem Forever as that. We were all just excited it finally arrived.

With that said, Duke Nukem Forever is the worst FPS game I've ever played. God it's awful.

#43 Edited by freedomfreak (40952 posts) -

Costs like a single euro. Might get it.

#44 Edited by AznbkdX (3223 posts) -

So.... for all of you that played it... should I get this for really cheap? It looks like one of those games that is so bad that it is good.

#45 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

Duke Nukem Forever is up there but it was hyped for its release and not AAA.

Zelda Skyward Sword and Twlight Princess failures caused the 'Mcshea' thing on here.

Other mentions but some are good in their own way, Rage, Lair, Haze, Okami etc.
Shenmue Killed Dreamcast even though its AAA. You can go futher back still but lets stop at dreamcast

#46 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26582 posts) -

@AznbkdX said:

So.... for all of you that played it... should I get this for really cheap? It looks like one of those games that is so bad that it is good.

I say if you saw it for dirt cheap and your curious pick it up. I personally found the game entertaining. Yea its not the best thing ever but I wouldint say a 2 or 3.

#47 Posted by hiphops_savior (7944 posts) -

Lair- the game that was supposed to change everything turned into a dud and killed Factor 5.

Haze- Halo killer that only ended up firing the lethal shot on itself.

Dungeon Siege 3

FF14- A Realm Reborn was eventually good, but at launch, it was the game that everyone and their mother mocked.

#48 Edited by KellyKelly (377 posts) -

Poor Gamespot users, are we back at using Gamespot again? I still remember how everyone started using Metacritic when Beyond got a 9 here LOL

#49 Posted by pelvist (4870 posts) -

#50 Edited by samanthademeste (1141 posts) -

Skyflop Sword and Gears of War:Judgment got a 7.5, lol.