The awesome steam machine *cost $1,300 just in parts!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by aihyah (7 posts) -

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Steam+Machine+Teardown/20473

Whoops.

"It runs so well!"

Yea it better run well for that kind of money!

I think valve missed the point on this one, they sent out a nice prize for the winners of said box, but it gives no realistic idea at all of what a readily affordable machine would do.

#2 Posted by Heil68 (43939 posts) -

I wish I would of gotten one now. :P

#3 Edited by Arthas045 (5156 posts) -

Yawn.... These are beta kits...

#4 Posted by MonsieurX (29981 posts) -

You know there will be plenty of different steam machines by different brands?

#5 Posted by aihyah (7 posts) -

@MonsieurX:

Yes there will be different brands... but it just comes down to pc hardware costing what pc hardware costs.

It was a nice Christmas gift for the beta people, but it doesn't give anyone a real idea how an affordable machine would run or look like.

#6 Posted by razu2444 (803 posts) -

LOL a machine that can be upgraded like a PC acts like a PC, hence will suffer all the sloppy seconds of a PC.

Why don't the PC industry understand they can't move forward without standardized system specs?

#7 Edited by MonsieurX (29981 posts) -

@aihyah said:

@MonsieurX:

Yes there will be different brands... but it just comes down to pc hardware costing what pc hardware costs.

It was a nice Christmas gift for the beta people, but it doesn't give anyone a real idea how an affordable machine would run or look like.

Then your thread title is wrong.

There's no THE steam machine as there will be different versions.

#8 Edited by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

@aihyah said:

Whoops.

"It runs so well!"

I think valve missed the point on this one, they sent out a nice prize for the winners of said box, but it gives no realistic idea at all of what a readily affordable machine would do.

ifixit got one with a 780 in it, man. That's their top of the line card version not named Titan, and it marches a $1000 Titan in a few benches.

There are other Steam Machines that were shipped with much more modest GPUs. I think you kinda missed the facts, which would have helped you understand that "the point" (which is really just your point) was not missed.

#9 Posted by millerlight89 (18464 posts) -

This thing will be a waste of money, no matter who it comes from.

#10 Edited by blackace (20550 posts) -

Yeah there will be, but no one has shown one that is $500 or less yet. I doubt we'll see one that low. Most like the lowest system will be $700. I still don't see any point in owning one unless you don't have a gaming PC and you don't care about the amount of games you won't be able to play off off Steam because it won't be compatible.

#11 Posted by MonsieurX (29981 posts) -

@blackace said:

@MonsieurX said:

Yeah there will be, but no one has shown one that is $500 or less yet. I doubt we'll see one that low. Most like the lowest system will be $700. I still don't see any point in owning one unless you don't have a gaming PC and you don't care about the amount of games you won't be able to play off off Steam because it won't be compatible.

No one has shown one at all

#12 Posted by lamprey263 (23495 posts) -

good thing they're not involved on the hardware side

#13 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5326 posts) -

I wonder how hot that GPU runs in that tiny case...

#14 Posted by Daious (1246 posts) -

@blackace said:

@MonsieurX said:

they have shown a 500 dollar steambox

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20131127235119_IBuyPower_Preps_499_High_End_AMD_Based_Steam_Box_Machine.html

#15 Posted by joehult (365 posts) -

Flop waiting to happen. No console has ever made a dent at twice the price of the competition, and manufactured by multiple companies.

#16 Posted by soulitane (13482 posts) -

@joehult said:

Flop waiting to happen. No console has ever made a dent at twice the price of the competition, and manufactured by multiple companies.

It's a good thing it's not a console then.

#17 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14021 posts) -

They're selling them as Low-High end. It's just another PC gaming branding in a small form factor.

#18 Posted by handssss (1834 posts) -

@joehult said:

then why does it exist. It's entire point is to try and persuade the console audience to play, but why would ANY of them bother when it will never have uniform hardware and can be so pricey? the only true advantages one would get here are better if the person just gets a normal PC instead.

#19 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

@joehult said:

It's trying to sell itself as such. The targetted audience is clearly the console one.

#20 Posted by soulitane (13482 posts) -

@handssss said:

@soulitane said:

@joehult said:

then why does it exist. It's entire point is to try and persuade the console audience to play, but why would ANY of them bother when it will never have uniform hardware and can be so pricey? the only true advantages one would get here are better if the person just gets a normal PC instead.

That doesn't make it a console, I personally see no purpose in it at the current time as all the important features that come with it will be in the windows and mac versions of steam as well as the linux version. In the future, it could be good for games as it has been shown that games running on linux have higher frame rates than games running on windows with the same hardware. This is likely a push to get more devs working with linux as Valve is loving the idea of linux gaming at the moment.

#21 Posted by clyde46 (45962 posts) -

@edidili said:

@soulitane said:

@joehult said:

It's trying to sell itself as such. The targetted audience is clearly the console one.

Which is why its stupid to make assumptions from this single beta unit.

#22 Posted by soulitane (13482 posts) -

@edidili said:

@soulitane said:

@joehult said:

It's still a PC, heck to even get the full benefit of it, you'll need a good windows PC to start with. From what I've seen, it's meant to compliment a desktop.

#23 Posted by clyde46 (45962 posts) -

@edidili said:

@soulitane said:

@joehult said:

It's still a PC, heck to even get the full benefit of it, you'll need a good windows PC to start with. From what I've seen, it's meant to compliment a desktop.

I personally find that notion a bit odd. If its as many are saying, being aimed at PC gamers who if they are serious about PC gaming will already have a decent rig anyway and will also in turn have the knowledge to build a SFF PC for the living. The only advantage so far I can see is that God Tier cable management.

#24 Edited by edidili (3449 posts) -

That's ridiculous though. So you buy a $1000 desktop and then buy a $1000 steam machine to compliment it? Compliment how anyway?

This whole venture is clearly Valve going for the living room audience, trying to expand further. You see it in the OS they've built, pretty limited and they keep saying is for the living room. You can see it in the controller too.

#25 Posted by GhoX (4866 posts) -

@aihyah: Valve is not going to buy their hardware components at retail price.

Without a doubt Valve will attempt to undercut the retail value equivalent of hardware, or there will be little point in getting SteamBox.

#26 Posted by soulitane (13482 posts) -

@edidili:

@clyde46:

Which is precisely why I see no purpose. Heck you wouldn't even need to build a dedicated machine, you could get away with using a half decent laptop if you have one to do the streaming. That's why I see it as a push for devs to take advantage of linux.

To answer edidili, by allowing you to stream games to your TV, which I already stated doesn't even require the box (also your $1000 cost is stupid since they've already been shown to be cheaper than that).

They've already shown that they want people to play in the living room but this isn't going to convert people who weren't already PC gamers to begin with. If I remember correctly, there are only around 200 games on steam that can run on linux, so if you want to play all your games you're going to need a dedicated rig to begin with, which is pretty stupid. But if the whole thing catches on, there should be more linux support in the future and a windows based gaming rig may not be needed to play the majority of games.

#27 Posted by TheFadeForever (1732 posts) -

@edidili:

No it is not selling itself as a console there were already pc like that on the market from alienware and cyberpower.

#28 Edited by aihyah (7 posts) -

@Dreams-Visions said:

@aihyah said:

Whoops.

"It runs so well!"

ifixit got one with a 780 in it, man. That's their top of the line card version not named Titan, and it marches a $1000 Titan in a few benches.

There are other Steam Machines that were shipped with much more modest GPUs. I think you kinda missed the facts, which would have helped you understand that "the point" (which is really just your point) was not missed.

In theory they might have had multiple spec but the ones listed so far are insane. And it calls into the question the purpose of the "beta", the whole point should be to test an "average" setup and give people a reasonable idea of how these things will perform. Specing them at 1.3k is nice for the winner, but it looks to be a PR move, where the winners will just spread word of how awesomely fast it is, but of course its awesome, its 1.3k!

In fact if its 1.3k just for parts, retail its even more, talk about a markup of 2-300 for a boutique gaming machine and its 1.6k steam machine.

#29 Posted by MrXboxOne (742 posts) -

cool

#30 Edited by TrooperManaic (3732 posts) -

@razu2444 said:

LOL a machine that can be upgraded like a PC acts like a PC, hence will suffer all the sloppy seconds of a PC.

Why don't the PC industry understand they can't move forward without standardized system specs?

Because that would dramatically decrease the advancement of technology. That will also lower the standard of next gen consoles to near previous gen standards due to the lack of advancement.

#31 Posted by aihyah (7 posts) -

@razu2444 said:

Because that would dramatically decrease the advancement of technology. That will also lower the standard of next gen consoles to near previous gen standards due to the lack of advancement.

Yes the pc is just a different animal, its a different market, and that's the issue. People have to understand what makes pc good, but like all these things its a trade off, pc you pay to play the upgrade game so you can get the best, or at the very least the most up to date, you can have a sli rig powering triple screens if you can afford it, but it comes at the price of the market being much smaller and fragmented in terms of hardware speed.

Issue with this steam box thing is that its nothing more than a pc. But it only attempts to apply some of the constraints of a console with basically none of the benefits. Devs will custom code for consoles because its millions of identical units, every hour they spend to get a fraction more out of a machine is worth it. Pc is too varied and too small, and then you fragment this by carving off a small chunk of pc to for steam os and there just is no case for developers to bother. Already they make pc users wait for many releases, Grand Theft Auto 5 for pc misses Christmas, and is pushed back to who knows when, because that's how unimportant the pc market is to them in terms of sales. So the idea that steam console has a chance is just a bit mind boggling, it doesn't win on price, utility, or value to developers. If valve had made a ui breakthrough on how to make a pc truly useful in a living room environment it would be interesting. But at this point they are just asking people to buy a second gaming rig for their living room, and basically throw away all the other uses and reasons people use to rationalize paying for a pc.

#32 Posted by farrell2k (5856 posts) -

And that 5x more powerful than both PS4 ans XB720 combined.

#33 Posted by lundy86_4 (43200 posts) -

There are a variety of different Steam machines. iBuyPower's is offering a Steambox for $500.

#34 Posted by Cobra_nVidia (1490 posts) -

I'm assuming Valve is willing to pour an absurd amount of money into this steam box concept - in order to promote steam, and push PC gaming onto linux. It doesn't seem like a good idea to offer a console alternative so soon in the console cycle. In 2-3 years, PC hardware will be much better and more attractive.

#35 Posted by K1ngd0m4g3rul3z (178 posts) -

@blackace said:

@MonsieurX said:

The iBuyPower one they've shown is going to be 500$. AMD 270x and amd octa core, 500gb hdd, 8gb ram if memory serves right.

I'm sure you've heard about this, it was even on here.

#36 Posted by Newhopes (4532 posts) -

Waste of time a machine with no market.

#37 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Valve has a chance, granted the respective manufacturers are willing to compete on pricing. I can see what they are doing, its a form of externality on their part, allowing different manufacturer to compete within the Steam OS system would push prizes down further while also factoring the improved technical potential of chips in a few years into the future. However, i suspect the console incumbents would also lower their prices at the time so we would see who offers the better value proposition in three years time

#38 Edited by kemar7856 (11506 posts) -

who keeps hyping this its just a barebones pc kit