That one hype killing announcement....

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Tell me SW, you're interested in the new games coming up, you follow a few you like the look of and then, suddenly BAM, THAT announcement is made that severely drops the hype down if not to 0%.

Personally for me, it's 'online only'. My interest in said game quite literally drops to 0 without any hope of return.

What's yours?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Yeah, online only hits hard. Uhm.. I don't know... early access stuff like Splatoon and Hitman, most recently.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Mine is the gameplay trailer, usually when i see what they show and what they dont show, i decide whether or not i should continue my hype further.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

Gonna have to agree with you TC, Online only definitely kills the hype for me. Doesn't mean that online only games are bad just that I loose interest in it a bit. That Rare Pirates game and Fable Legends come to mind but knowing Fable will be free to play makes up for it. Kind of pissed that the Rare game is online only.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Online only? interesting ... I look at that and think "Balance Server / Gameplay ... less cheating" ... pro example... the console version of Diablo's Online is s*it.

My deal breaker? A game trailer ... that is mostly cutscenes ... that shows shallow gameplay.

Case and point ... I was hyped for Star Wars: BAttlefront ... until I saw the actually gameplay.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

DLC announced before a games release. At this point I know the developer isn't trying and a unfinished game will be shipped. The cash grab always kills my hype. Thanks Turtle Rock.

If the focus point is multiplayer and it ships with a lot of content I don't mind online only.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 misterpmedia

@magicalclick said:

I think that would be Deus EX exclusive bundle(S) content. So, if you want to have all the content, you have to buy multiple copies.

wait what the ****, can they do that?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

<insert anticipated game name here>... for iOS and Android!!!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I think the new Hitman. Was the game announced before the terrible purchase options? I can't remember now.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

I don't really get hyped anymore. Last time I can remember get hyped for something was when they announced Watch Dogs, and I guess that was the end of hype for me.

I just take games as they come now a days and some games I look forward to but never to "hype" levels.

If they announce something disappointing, oh well. If they announce stuff that is exciting, that is good and a plus.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@misterpmedia said:

Tell me SW, you're interested in the new games coming up, you follow a few you like the look of and then, suddenly BAM, THAT announcement is made that severely drops the hype down if not to 0%.

Personally for me, it's 'online only'. My interest in said game quite literally drops to 0 without any hope of return.

What's yours?

edit...im an idiot

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

I also forgot about F2P, it can usually kill my hype also. Hearing others i can think of a few more that would kill my hype, like online only and being a mobile focused game.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@mesome713 said:

I also forgot about F2P, it can usually kill my hype also. Hearing others i can think of a few more that would kill my hype, like online only and being a mobile focused game.

basically this

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 misterpmedia

@stereointegrity said:
@misterpmedia said:

What's yours?

i swear to god this exact topic was posted on gaf today.......

but because u asked i need

GT7 gameplay

Red Dead

The Agent

Crash Bandicoot

a new Timesplitters

Socom that may actually be good for once

Conker

d-did you read the thread topic right? lol

@mesome713 said:

I also forgot about F2P

Also a good choice

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

F2P, MMO, and mobile.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@misterpmedia said:
@stereointegrity said:
@misterpmedia said:

What's yours?

i swear to god this exact topic was posted on gaf today.......

but because u asked i need

GT7 gameplay

Red Dead

The Agent

Crash Bandicoot

a new Timesplitters

Socom that may actually be good for once

Conker

d-did you read the thread topic right? lol

@mesome713 said:

I also forgot about F2P

Also a good choice

fuckin shit no..........excuse me while i log off of system wars for a few hous >______<

noeffectz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 noeffectz
Member since 2015 • 47 Posts

Sony showing gameplay of The Last Guardian which looked like footage from 2007.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

It is pretty hard to get me hyped up for a game... so I am gonna say that an interest killing announcement would be... well depends on the genre.

Strategy: Streamlined

RPG: Level Scaling and to a lesser extent Romances (Though in the case of romances, if everything else looks top notch, my interest can endure)

MMORPG: Anything feature that also Guild Wars 2 had, Story

Shooter: Cover Based Shooting/Health Regeneration/Arbitary Weapon Limits (2-4 weapon rules)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts
@misterpmedia said:

What's yours?

Yeah 100% agree.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Halo 5 not having Split Screen- I'll be waiting now until I can pick it up for $20

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@charizard1605: totally agree I got trolled hard with the Joe Montana 16 info floating around the Internet, then what happens fucking mobile game, gtfo

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Season Passes for DLC. I either avoid those games altogether or, in the case of the yearlies, buy every other game and even wait for steam sales.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

It's game specific for me, but for instance the new Halo not having split screen dropped my interest down a ton.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Was hyped for the new Starfox game when i first heard of it, then i saw how the controls works...

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

When a game is announced and is shortly followed by advertisements for in-game purchases, varying pre order bonuses depending on retail stores, season passes and expected DLC. (take Evolve as an example).

Also, like you mentioned, online only is a deal breaker for me unless its some game I know I will never plan to play again in the future...and I'm rarely interested in games such as these. Even a slight hint of online dependency is a huge turn off for me. Take the new Hitman as an example; I'm a huge Hitman fan but this is the first Hitman that I have genuinely had 0 interest in. They'll charge me full price and give me access to to new content over the years....but when the generation ends and we've moved on to new systems...I will never be able to enjoy the content they released post launch ever again...this is true of most DLC content....but Hitman is actually developing a business model around it. For shame...

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I hate the videos you watch that have "pre alpha footage". All developers are so God Damn scared of fallout that they feel the need to place this message for the entire clip. They also use it as a disclaimer to change shit up as they feel fit. The game never really changes though. Just have a set of balls and be proud of your work.

This answer is kind of off topic but I'm drinking. And I'm the Lem King. :)

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

I seriously think promotional betas are doing more disservice to the industry than they are helping. Things like including a Halo 3 beta in Crackdown was the height of the beta fad. After that, all they seemed to do is dissuade people from ever getting games.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#29 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
  • Being Online only, especially in games were it is not necessary (new NFS comes to mind).
  • F2P or Moba. But there are few exceptions like new Unreal Tournament which is just "Free" or Team Fortress 2 etc.
  • Limited inventory and health regeneration in linear FPS games.
  • QTEs,
  • Social justice crap.
  • Dumbing down old franchises for "modern standards".
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#30 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

-Online only (Diablo III, SimCity 2013)

-On disc DLC (Street Fighter X Tekken)

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

No server browser for an online multiplayer PC game- see SW Battlefront. What were they thinking? They better not pull that crap for Battlefield 5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Online only is always a bad one.

More specific would be when they said the FF7 remake was going to have combat with a 'sense of reality' all hype vanished there

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

"Developed by 343i"

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

Lego Dimensions: Buy toys to get other storylines instead of unlocking them like in every other Lego game... I was seriously anticipating this game, I mean who wouldn't want to cross Doc Brown into the storyline of Lord Of The Rings? But they had to go this piss poor selling method and mind you, the freaking game costs $90. I was seriously upset.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Severe graphical downgrade aka The Division. Was hype af for this game back when it was announced in 2013. Now its not even on my radar... lolUbishit.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

<insert anticipated game name here>... for iOS and Android!!!

This

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

No Man's Sky: awesome...."heres a video of how you gather resources".

Me: "Oh"

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Agree with the online only BS. That instantly dropped my hype for SimCity to 0. As soon as I heard that the sequel to a single-player classic would be always online, I couldnt help but think of it being a scam to milk people with digital DLC/micro-transactions. I was really disappointed and still have not bought it to this day.

Also NMS footage keeps on showing the same environments and creatures on supposedly light years apart planets. At first I was hyped but now im thinking this samey game will get boring, very fast.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@misterpmedia: For me? Some shenanigans with the pricing, the DLC scheme, locking a part of the content down or cutting the content that should've been in the game in the first place. I'm not inherently biased against online-only experiences.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

F2p with micro-transactions, I'd rather a GW2 concept where you buy the game and have constant support for years and years to come, then a full fledged expansion comes out that you have a choice to purchase or not.

Kickstarter or crowdfunded games, same with early access, all of these put me off a game. The game may be great (Pillars) but the company normally sucks, making a sequel when the first should had garnered enough money to make the second, why pay for something when you can get it paid for you.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#42 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58943 Posts

when a previously PC exclusive goes multiplatform, it's usually the end. of quality. Crysis 2,:Fear 2, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, BioShock, Dragon Age 2, Dues Ex 2.

PC is very. superior and should not be tainted by the impure.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#43 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

@MBirdy88: I wish Diablo 3 was online-only on consoles. I recently tried playing Diablo 3, and it is now littered with cheaters. It didn't really bother me at first, I usually just try to make friends and play private matches instead.....but often I'll play public matches as well.

So I was in this public lobby with 2 other people and while we were fighting enemies, a 4th player joined our game.....shortly after, I noticed I was rapidly gaining Paragon levels....I didn't even understand what was going on, but within a matter of seconds, I went from like level 300 to 800. Doing a bit of research online it seems this happens when a player with modded gear enters your room and clears a high level greater rift or something like that. What really surprised me is how another player permanently affected the stats of my character, and there was nothing I could do about it. The grind is part of the fun for me in Diablo, and now I'm suddenly a high paragon level and I cannot reverse this change....normally I just ignore cheaters but this is the first time I was affected without being able to do anything about it.

So I understand online-only has its drawbacks, but in some games it can be very beneficial.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

This is just about a game in particular, FFXV. Ever since Tabata picked it up every announcement he makes is a hype killer and I was so hype for the game and it makes me sad that I'm not anymore. Pretty sure the story of this game is gonna suck and the only good thing will be the combat just like with Type-0 because that's just Tabata's way of doing things unlike Nomura.

This trailer was sooo good but guess what... Everything was either removed or changed, including Stella changed for some Japanese cliche virginal looking damsel in distress that Noctis chases after. And that part with Leviathan and Noctis swimming? Well, he can't swim anymore and the whole combat in the water was scraped too. You can only use one character now, ships might not even be in the game anymore (the types you can control to travel), story was severely scaled back in general. Just notice how in newer promos they don't use shakespearean quotes anymore nor the "fantasy based on reality" since Tabata ditched that aspect completely.

Loading Video...

-

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@mesome713 said:

F2P indeed. This happened to me for Ace Combat F2P. I was all for it until I saw those words...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

F2P and Online only. Sick of that shit already.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#47 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

A lack of single player really turns me off of a game.

Announcing the game way too early has not necessarily killed my hype for a game but definitely hurts it.

Not sure what else there is.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

MP only I guess, I enjoy a good single player campaign.

Although the mod scene for Unreal Tournament 4 will no doubt be impressive and have plenty of those anyway.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

F2P!

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#50 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

@misterpmedia said:
@magicalclick said:

I think that would be Deus EX exclusive bundle(S) content. So, if you want to have all the content, you have to buy multiple copies.

wait what the ****, can they do that?

They announced this past week that Square was dropping this "promotion". I can't find the link to quote but I am pretty sure I saw it on Kotaku