TF2/DOTA2 Voice Actor: Valve is wrapping up DOTA2 for a Fall Release

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

Since I didn't find this, I will give credit to where I did:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437861

(Not new thread worthy and this is the de facto Dota 2 thread for now)

http://www.impetuouswindmills.com/20...st-episode-41/

John Patrick Lowrie (TF2 sniper) was on a podcast and mentioned that he is doing voice work for seven Dota 2 characters, Pudge and Storm Spirit specifically. You can hear some sample voice work at around ~34 minutes. He also mentions that Valve is "wrapping up" the game and it should be ready in the fall.

archie

This comes after a lot of rumors that Valve is prepping a DOTA2 tournament for GamesCom(they are listed on the GamesCom website as having a booth under the Strategy category)

Must say, this would be incredible.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

Is this valve's first strategy game, they have developed?

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Can't wait for the game. DotA 2 will be GOTY ;)
Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Storm Spirit bit sounded fun :)

Hopefully they have kept him as panda.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
Looking forward to it. Right now, League of Legends is incredibly popular (among the top 3 most played online games in the world), mainly because of its wide diversity of champions, frequent champion releases and ultimately, its price (free-2-play). We'll see if DOTA2 can steal some thunder from LOL, but it's hard to compete with something free to begin with.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KingsMessenger

Looking forward to it. Right now, League of Legends is incredibly popular (among the top 3 most played online games in the world), mainly because of its wide diversity of champions, frequent champion releases and ultimately, its price (free-2-play). We'll see if DOTA2 can steal some thunder from LOL, but it's hard to compete with something free to begin with.Brainhunter

A lot of people are predicting that DOTA2 is going to be Free-2-Play also.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Nice hopefully morphling is still cool!

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24001 Posts

Not really my kind of game, but good news for MOBA and DOTA fans.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KingsMessenger

Just an FYI but that podcast completely derails at the end and is totally worth listening to.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

Can't wait for the game. DotA 2 will be GOTY ;) NerubianWeaver

Are there still many people playing dota? I switched form dota to hon like 2 years ago because I got into HoN beta. I'm now playing HoN and LoL, both have alot server issues and I didnt get much when playing original dota (I used garena too). I'm thinking starting to play dota again for getting practise for some heroes that are missing from HoN.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60723 Posts

[QUOTE="Brainhunter"]Looking forward to it. Right now, League of Legends is incredibly popular (among the top 3 most played online games in the world), mainly because of its wide diversity of champions, frequent champion releases and ultimately, its price (free-2-play). We'll see if DOTA2 can steal some thunder from LOL, but it's hard to compete with something free to begin with.KingsMessenger

A lot of people are predicting that DOTA2 is going to be Free-2-Play also.

As a LoL player, that is the only way I would try it. No way I'm paying money for it.
NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]Can't wait for the game. DotA 2 will be GOTY ;) Nohtnym

Are there still many people playing dota? I switched form dota to hon like 2 years ago because I got into HoN beta. I'm now playing HoN and LoL, both have alot server issues and I didnt get much when playing original dota (I used garena too). I'm thinking starting to play dota again for getting practise for some heroes that are missing from HoN.

It's full of players especially in Europe. It's well populated. In USA rooms there's like 2000 players across all the rooms.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Give me Episode 3 or finally admit that you're just doing a flat out Half-life 3 transition with the series already Valve! I'm sorry.....were we talking about another Valve game?
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

The games already in Beta, you can see the beta servers already on steam, and supposedly top Dota players have already been testing it.

its just surprising that it hasnt actually been revealed yet, Valve doesnt normally wait so long to reveal games, then again, they have never released two games in the same year before.

Blacklight2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 Blacklight2
Member since 2007 • 1212 Posts
Can't wait for something other than LoL. It's a good game, it just got a little stale.
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

They are supposedly going to be providing the same level of support TF2 has gotten over the years.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Can't wait for the game. DotA 2 will be GOTY ;) NerubianWeaver

Multiplayer game of the year easy. SP already was taken by TW2 :P.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

If Enigma will be in release, then count me in for the tourney!

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

They are supposedly going to be providing the same level of support TF2 has gotten over the years.

cobrax55
that would be interesting..
Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

Yessssss more DOTA news!!!

Seriously i can't wait for this game! still playing HoN to this day but i can't wait for DOTA!!!!

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

As an avid LoL player I am certainly interested in Dota2 but I won't be playing it if it's not F2P.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

I've been playing MOBAs since DotA. I currently play League of Legends, so I'm definitely going to check DotA 2 out. I'm not as confident as some people seem to be concerning the notion that DotA 2 will be vastly superior to LoL.

lulmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lulmont
Member since 2010 • 671 Posts

Been waiting for this for awhile, been playing hon to hold over. So let's hurry it up valve.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

Valve should not be credited.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

Ravenchrome

Sense, this makes none, whatsoever.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I would LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE that, this will be my game of this gen. :3
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10143 Posts
Dear Valve, I don't care. Stop wasting your resources on anything other than Half Life. Take every development team you have and combine them with Half Life's development team. I am all about doing new projects and what not, but this nonsense has gone on long enough. Thank you
Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

Remmib

Sense, it does makes, for Half-Life is, only the one, originated from Valve's cauldron.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

Ravenchrome

Sense, it does makes, for Half-Life is, only the one, originated from Valve's cauldron.

Valve is working on the game.
Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

tagyhag

Based on a far versatile developer's universe?

ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

tagyhag

Now come on, you're level 35, you should know by now that there are some people who refuse to give Valve any sort of credit on anything they do no matter what you say.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KingsMessenger

Ravenchrome

Go derail topics on some other forum. Your opinions regarding Valve are laughable and forced at best. You literally have to TRY to dislike them. Whatever, that is your business and I could really care less what your twisted motivations for hating Valve happen to be... However, stop derailing every single Valve related thread with your BS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6243ee9902175

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

KingsMessenger

Go troll somewhere else. Your opinions regarding Valve are laughable and forced at best. You literally have to TRY to dislike them. Whatever, that is your business and I could really care less what your twisted motivations for hating Valve happen to be... However, stop derailing every single Valve related thread with your BS.

Steam is a good reason to not like them considering it locks all your games down with DRM. It maybe convenient but if Valve ever goes down you lose your games (the drm-free patch is bull, if a business is tanking they aren't going to take the time to patch every game which could cause legal issues in itself). Great company? Sure, but there are reasons to dislike them. The whole 'can do no wrong' that a lot of people feel towards Bioware, Valve, Blizzard and Bethesda is really annoying sometimes.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KingsMessenger

Steam is a good reason to not like them considering it locks all your games down with DRM. It maybe convenient but if Valve ever goes down you lose your games (the drm-free patch is bull, if a business is tanking they aren't going to take the time to patch every game which could cause legal issues in itself). Great company? Sure, but there are reasons to dislike them. The whole 'can do no wrong' that a lot of people feel towards Bioware, Valve, Blizzard and Bethesda is really annoying sometimes.

Whiteblade999

DRM is a fact of this industry. It is a fact of pretty much all digital based industries. Hating Valve just because they developed a platform that is ultimately one of the least intrusive forms of DRM is kind of obtuse IMO. I don't love DRM, but I accept that it is the reality of a service like Steam.

And Valve can do wrong. They just haven't really done much wrong. Their initial handling of L4D2 wasn't outstanding and they are incredibly slow at releasing new Half-Life games, but those aren't reasons to dislike them... Nothing that they have done has really warranted any level of hate for them. As developers go, they are definitely among the "best" in terms of doing things the right way.

But this is derailing the thread so just leave it at that.

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts
Valve always takes credit from developers Cs not made by valve,L4d not made by valve, yet gamers think valve develop them
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 KingsMessenger

Valve always takes credit from developers Cs not made by valve,L4d not made by valve, yet gamers think valve develop them John_Read

Valve did make those games... L4D was in development hell until Valve took over. The levels weren't really built and the design was having a lot of problems... Valve made that game, probably too much so, which is why Valve South(Turtle Rock) ended up getting shuttered. Valve's Cabal isn't suited to massive distances. Once Valve took over on L4D, Turtle Rock was kind of left behind and Valve made the game rather than Turtle Rock(and it was Turtle Rock's game...). It was a mistake to buy Turtle Rock which is why they shut down Valve South. It just didn't work within their design structure. But, returning to the point, Valve made the game and every game they have released.... VALVE made the game, not the person they hired who had the original idea. An idea is not a game.... Valve made the games.

CS, I will give you but nobody really thinks Valve developers the original Counter-Strike. They did make CS:S but that was just a remake of Counter-Strike basically...

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

KingsMessenger

DRM is a fact of this industry. It is a fact of pretty much all digital based industries. Hating Valve just because they developed a platform that is ultimately one of the least intrusive forms of DRM is kind of obtuse IMO. I don't love DRM, but I accept that it is the reality of a service like Steam.

And Valve can do wrong. They just haven't really done much wrong. Their initial handling of L4D2 wasn't outstanding and they are incredibly slow at releasing new Half-Life games, but those aren't reasons to dislike them... Nothing that they have done has really warranted any level of hate for them. As developers go, they are definitely among the "best" in terms of doing things the right way.

Valve did wrong and its games aren't that all gold standard.

Bioware could be blamed, Blizzard could be blamed, but not Valve? Valve hasn't make any game this gen that is anywhere near the scope and quantity of the other two developers apart from short games. L4d series is mediocre.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

Yet another mod-turned-into-full-retail-game by Valve :P. I watch my bro play DoTA every now and then. I know he's excited for it, so I'll buy it for his bday later this year, if this story is true. It would be impressive. Two great Valve games in one year.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ravenchrome

Yet another mod-turned-into-full-retail-game by Valve :P. I watch my bro play DoTA every now and then. I know he's excited for it, so I'll buy it for his bday later this year, if this story is true. It would be impressive. Two great Valve games in one year.

TREAL_Since

Pseudo-retail game.

Valve will fail without Half-Life 3 and I hope Steam will finally have competitions so that it'll not monopolize anymore. I support EA's Origins.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Been playing DotA since version 6.34....that's like 4? 5 years? I've spent more time on DotA than any other game out there, including MMOs. hell, I bet I've spent more time on DotA than I've spent sleeping the past 5 years. I got into the HoN beta. It was a complete DotA ripoff, only with different names for heroes and items. I also tried LoL. LoL is a casualised, oversimplified clusterf*** that will never be as deep or as good as DotA is. If LoL is CoD, then DotA is Battlefield. One is popular, the other is not as popular as the former, but is deeper and better and does not try to nickel and dime you. DotA is pure skill, LoL is who's unlocked the most OP hero and using the most OP rune combo. lol LoL, just lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts
can't wait a for this. valve games are always fun to play
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Remmib

[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]

Ravenchrome

Pseudo-retail game.

Valve will fail without Half-Life 3 and I hope Steam will finally have competitions so that it'll not monopolize anymore. I support EA's Origins.

You are a simply a hater. Valve is gunna fail, oh really? Is that why they are more profitable per employee than Google or Apple? Hmm, that's what I thought. Maybe you should educate yourself before opening that hole in your head that just spews drivel all over the place. Digital monopolies are not the same as physical monopolies.

Origin does not compete with Steam and EA is using anti-competitive methods to try and gain marketshare by restricting games from Steam.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Yay DOTA is coming back to glory!
Still a has a strong game community today.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Cool but I'll wait till I know whether the community is nice or not.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="TREAL_Since"]

Remmib

Pseudo-retail game.

You are a simply a hater. Valve is gunna fail, oh really? Is that why they are more profitable per employee than Google or Apple? Hmm, that's what I thought. Maybe you should educate yourself before opening that hole in your head that just spews drivel all over the place. Digital monopolies are not the same as physical monopolies.

Origin does not compete with Steam and EA is using anti-competitive methods to try and gain marketshare by restricting games from Steam.

To be fair, Valve doesn't offer their games on anything other than Steam either. EA is willing to, they just aren't willing to let DLC be hosted on other services(and thus allow Valve to make a profit off of EA's DLC).

I am kind of wondering where the Valve-EA Partners agreement stands now though.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Remmib

To be fair, Valve doesn't offer their games on anything other than Steam either. EA is willing to, they just aren't willing to let DLC be hosted on other services(and thus allow Valve to make a profit off of EA's DLC).

I am kind of wondering where the Valve-EA Partners agreement stands now though.

KingsMessenger

That's completely fine seeing as they are the ones who pioneered the digital distribution market.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-6243ee9902175

[QUOTE="Whiteblade999"]

KingsMessenger

A fact of the industry?!? Good Old Games, Paradox, a good amount of Gamersgate and indie developers all disagree with you. I don't hate Valve, in fact I respect them for making a DRM I can tolerate, but I do not like DRM in the slightest. Like I boycott pretty much every DRM system but Steam.

Valve have done plenty of wrong. They completely screwed up the release of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines by not giving Troika an updated version of source so they were stuck with a broken beta version because Valve wanted to show off the engine with Half-Life 2. They sold Left 4 Dead on the promise of support and dropped it like a hot potato for the sequel. They have forced people off of Steam (EA with Crysis 2) or declined indies for stupid reasons because of their own bias (which should be absent from a service like that, some of the games they declined would have sold well). They completely screw over other countries with 1USD=1Euro pricing which is set by them and you have to ask to get it changed into a different conversion (a few indie devs confirmed this). They have region restrictions (not as bad as Impulse granted) which is anti-consumer at best.

These are off the top of my head, If I dug around I could find more. They offer good support for their products and have a strong platform but that makes them not much better then other developers because they make mistakes like any business. I would say the same thing about CD Projekt and I hold them to the same standard most people here hold Valve.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
As of now, I don't care about anything Valve does that isn't Half Life related. Seriously, this is becoming pretty pathetic.