Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Crysis 3 and Metro last light are really top notch for particles. But honestly I think SS takes the cake aesthetically for me.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts
@m3dude1 said:

@scatteh316 said:

@Silenthps said:
@scatteh316 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

Modded Crysis 2 has some pretty nice tessellation:

Crysis 3 has some of the best particle effects. It has volumetric fog and smoke that casts shadows and is affected by simulated wind and even explosions

That's not tessellation, that's parallax occlusion mapping.

It's tessellation + displacement mapping which is a much more efficient and better looking technique than POM

It's not tessellation and if you read Cryteks white papers on CryEngine 3 they also say they do not use tessellation at all on there new POM technique.

cryengine doesnt support tessellation at all on terrain does it? at least not in currently available iterations? sad that the herms here dont even know wtf tessellation is

It does but it's used a lot and Crysis 2 used it a lot more on the terrain then Crysis 3 does, the CryEngine SDK has a demo level and that baby uses it on pretty much every surface.

So the functionality is there.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#53 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Particles, Far Cry Blood Dragon had some good particles.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@m3dude1 said:

@scatteh316 said:

@Silenthps said:
@scatteh316 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

Crysis 3 has some of the best particle effects. It has volumetric fog and smoke that casts shadows and is affected by simulated wind and even explosions

That's not tessellation, that's parallax occlusion mapping.

It's tessellation + displacement mapping which is a much more efficient and better looking technique than POM

It's not tessellation and if you read Cryteks white papers on CryEngine 3 they also say they do not use tessellation at all on there new POM technique.

cryengine doesnt support tessellation at all on terrain does it? at least not in currently available iterations? sad that the herms here dont even know wtf tessellation is

It does but it's used a lot and Crysis 2 used it a lot more on the terrain then Crysis 3 does, the CryEngine SDK has a demo level and that baby uses it on pretty much every surface.

So the functionality is there.

where does crysis 2 use tessellation on the terrain? the rock piles in the first level arent terrain, they are entities.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Ben-Buja said:

And Crysis 3 has some of the best particle effects. It has volumetric fog and smoke that casts shadows and is affected by simulated wind and even explosions

What's with this facination with the fucking ground in 90% of Crysis pics? is that the only good looking part of the game other then Psycho's face?

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56  Edited By Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

@Jebus213 said:

What's with this facination with the fucking ground in 90% of Crysis pics? is that the only good looking part of the game other then Psycho's face?

I've taken these pictures to show the high res textures that come with Maldo 4.0 ,and I've posted the ground pictures here because I wanted to show the tessellation in Crysis 2, since this is a topic about tessellation you know.

I have tons of Crysis screenshots that are not of the ground.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

@Ben-Buja said:

@Jebus213 said:

I've taken these pictures to show the high res textures that come with Maldo 4.0 ,and I've posted the ground pictures here because I wanted to show the parallaxocclusion mapping in Crysis 2, since this is a topic about games with the best effects you know.

Fixed :D

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Ben-Buja

@scatteh316 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

@Jebus213 said:

I've taken these pictures to show the high res textures that come with Maldo 4.0 ,and I've posted the ground pictures here because I wanted to show the tessellation in Crysis 2, since this is a topic about games with the best effects you know.

Wrong. My intention was to show tessellation.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

@Ben-Buja said:

@scatteh316 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

@Jebus213 said:

I've taken these pictures to show the high res textures that come with Maldo 4.0 ,and I've posted the ground pictures here because I wanted to show the tessellation in Crysis 2, since this is a topic about games with the best effects you know.

But it's not tessellation. It's parallax occlusion mapping.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 m3dude1

the pc clowns on this board dont know what tessellation is

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ben-Buja

@Jebus213 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

@scatteh316 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

@Jebus213 said:

I know that now, it was my mistake, but my intention was to show tessellation.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#63  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@Jebus213 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

@scatteh316 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

@Jebus213 said:

Actually, at least one of the screenshots (middle screen of 5) is showing tessellation and displacement, the giveaway is the slight texture stretching at the cracks of each brick on the floor.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ben-Buja

@m3dude1 said:

the pc clowns on this board dont know what tessellation is

Hey it's that clown who thinks 4k needs more AA than temporal SMAA and that maxing out includes AA. Yeah... -.-

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By m3dude1

seeing as how you dont even know when your looking at tessellation, its no surprise you wouldnt be able to notice aliasing. and if a game includes AA in its options, then yeah its part of maxing it out.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By m3dude1
@scottpsfan14 said:
@m3dude1 said:

seeing as how you dont even know when your looking at tessellation, its no surprise you wouldnt be able to notice aliasing. and if a game includes AA in its options, then yeah its part of maxing it out.

And what if that game includes resolution options (pretty much all PC games)? And you only have a 1080p monitor? Can't you max that game out if the limit is 4K? I disagree with this. Maxing out is a case of turning the graphics settings up. Not AA. AA can be applied to any 3D application. People still are maxing out a game if they aren't using full AA and are using post AA in my opinion. As long as all the scalable graphics features are on full, it's maxed out.

Also, what if somebody invented an AA solution that was better than MSAA in every way but with the peformance hit of FXAA? Which AA solution would be 'maxing' the game out? The one that was better technology, or the one that took a bigger performance hit but looked worse?

maxing out means running at your monitors native res. aa is a graphic setting. afaik cryengine sdk doesnt support terrain tessellation.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 inggrish

@scottpsfan14 said:
@_Matt_ said:

@Jebus213 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

@scatteh316 said:

@Ben-Buja said:

@Jebus213 said:

Actually, at least one of the screenshots (middle screen of 5) is showing tessellation and displacement, the giveaway is the slight texture stretching at the cracks of each brick on the floor.

Crysis 2 has no tessellation on the floor. I know this by simply loading Cry Engine 3 SDK. The walls and bricks have tessellation and displacement mapping as the textures look distorted and shit (the biggest problem with that method imo), you can see because there are many micro-polygons on the walls in wireframe mode.

Interesting. Are you certain the brick from screen 3 does not use tessellation and displacement? It has the telltale distortion at the edges of all the bricks? Pretty dam dodgy texturing if not.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

PC pretty much everything gfx king. And well gameplay king too tbh but that is for another thread.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 inggrish

@scottpsfan14 said:
@_Matt_ said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Crysis 2 has no tessellation on the floor. I know this by simply loading Cry Engine 3 SDK. The walls and bricks have tessellation and displacement mapping as the textures look distorted and shit (the biggest problem with that method imo), you can see because there are many micro-polygons on the walls in wireframe mode.

Interesting. Are you certain the brick from screen 3 does not use tessellation and displacement? It has the telltale distortion at the edges of all the bricks? Pretty dam dodgy texturing if not.

I'm 97% certain that is POM. That distortion at the edges is a red flag for POM in fact. I'm pretty sure that Crytek even stated that the ground used POM throughout the game in DX11 mode to save in performance. Again, this is for the most part. That image you pointed out may be an exeption. Who knows?

Fair cop I will take your word for it.

I don't have sufficient experience with Cry Engine for a fair shout; but I am used to UDK tessellation, which gives a very very similar effect as seen in that shot, with the blurred protrusion. Different engines obviously handle materials and lighting differently though.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 m3dude1

@scottpsfan14 said:
@m3dude1 said:
@scottpsfan14 said:
@m3dude1 said:

And what if that game includes resolution options (pretty much all PC games)? And you only have a 1080p monitor? Can't you max that game out if the limit is 4K? I disagree with this. Maxing out is a case of turning the graphics settings up. Not AA. AA can be applied to any 3D application. People still are maxing out a game if they aren't using full AA and are using post AA in my opinion. As long as all the scalable graphics features are on full, it's maxed out.

Also, what if somebody invented an AA solution that was better than MSAA in every way but with the peformance hit of FXAA? Which AA solution would be 'maxing' the game out? The one that was better technology, or the one that took a bigger performance hit but looked worse?

maxing out means running at your monitors native res. aa is a graphic setting. afaik cryengine sdk doesnt support terrain tessellation.

CE3 SDK can definatly tessellate objects in game. Like a frog or a large object etc. It can also displace textures using real tessellation. But I don't think underlying level geometry can be tessellated in that engine. Not sure. But about AA. What AA solution would qualify for 'maxing out' the game? What if you have several options? It's not widely classed as maxing out a game in itself. As I say, would it be the better tech AA with better performance, or MSAA with a large performance hit and worse tech?

theres no point responding to your rhetorical aa question as no such situation actually exists. cryengine 3 can tessellate entities, but not terrain afaik.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Ben-Buja

@m3dude1 said:

You didn't know it either until scatteh316 pointed it out, or you would have said something.

A PC gamer making a mistake? You would have been all over that if you knew it at the time. You're not fooling anybody.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By m3dude1

or maybe its because ive already been thru this in a different thread with the exact same screens. you hermits rly are clueless. you couldnt post a screen of crysis 3 where tessellation was actually being used if your life depended on it.

and its not a mistake when you flat out lack knowledge

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

What does tessellation king mean? Does it mean which game spams the most tessellation? or the game that minimises the amount of tessellation while maintaining visual quality? The first is impressive in the case of the engine's processing capability, the second is impressive from the shader writer's ability to keep visual quality high with limited resources.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 m3dude1

i understood the question as the game with the most visual improvement from tessellation. i dont rly think theres a good winner because there are no games where tessellation does anything meaningful.

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ben-Buja

@m3dude1 said:

or maybe its because ive already been thru this in a different thread with the exact same screens. you hermits rly are clueless. you couldnt post a screen of crysis 3 where tessellation was actually being used if your life depended on it.

and its not a mistake when you flat out lack knowledge

It's easy to mix up POM and tessellation from just looking at a ground, which the whole debate in this thread proves, hence why it was a mistake and not lack of knowledge.

I don't know which other thread you're talking about, these screens were taken by me. Sounds like bullshit.

Just admit you didn't know that they show POM either until scatteh pointed it out. It's not the end of the world.