Tell me system wars, what is this 'next gen gameplay'?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Guys, what is the next gen gameplay on the PS2 that justifies me replacing my PS1? Where's my innovashun?

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@quakeknight1991 said:

Why do people here think that games in order to have a good story need to be "cinematic"? Thats outright false. Cinematic gameplay is bad because it inolves clunky, repetitive and incredibly shallow gameplay and of course very linear maps. I dont know if I should laugh or cry when I see all these "cinematic shooters" have much more simplistic maps than the doom 2, a game thats ancient. So yeah I think The Order and Quantum Break look like garbage.

Missing the point of the thread, please give examples of things you expect devs to do and not complain about things you hate.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@kinectthedots said:

@sts106mat said:

@kinectthedots said:

@sts106mat said:

@kinectthedots said:

Nothing that has been shown this gen has next gen gameplay. The most "next gen" feeling gameplay that has been seen in years was Demon's Souls on PS3 last gen with world and soul tendencies intergrated with online and offline gameplay. that was truely mind blowingly next gen type gameplay.

Everyone else has been trying to copy that magic since but nothing has been shown that surpasses that level of innovative gameplay. Someone said titanfall, lol insert killzone 2/3, Planet Side 2, Hawken and Vanquish. There is nothing next gen about Titanfall gameplay. we have all seen mechs in shooters before the gameplay is the same its just is getting more hype because MS is treating it like a exclusive

The same person said Quantam Break, lmao NO how is watching movies = next gen GAMEPLAY?? That's right its not, Beyond 2 souls would be more next gen than that, intergrating movies with gameplay would fall back to dungons and dragons released on arcades during the nes and genesis generation and a time freeze machanic isn't anything new or original either so that is a total fail for "next gen" gameplay with those games.

I disagree, Titanfall is a shooter, but it has a next gen feel to it' gameplay. i've never had such immediate fun in an FPS like i did with Titanfall. it's a real gamechanger.....if you disagree, you are likely just jealous its not on PS4

also Forza's driveatar feature is a next addition which made a real difference to the gameplay IMO.

too much is being made of this "next gen gameplay" bollocks, the consoles aren't doing anything more than PC games have done before, so there isn't much next gen about it.

also look at "the order", cows going mental and hyping as the arrival of "next gen" well bollocks, because from what we've seen, its gears of war in a higher res.......a gameplay style that cows hated and bashed all last gen. (and are still doing now)

What you wrote is stupid.

basically, "I have fun with it so it's next gen, if you disagree you are jealous". What kind of argument is that?

Your argument seems to revolve around your fanboyism talking about cows and being jealous of a MUTIPLATFORM game. Did I say the game couldn't be "fun" dumbass I said it wasn't anything "next gen". Look at how you try to down play a playstation exclusive saying the order is just gears of war in higher res. Well Titanfall is just cod with mechs and the res isn't even that much higher.

No, I said it has a next gen feel to it, it is a real change of gameplay from the usual FPS. It will be a great game.

I also don't have "an argument", it's an opinion. I also stated the facts that cows are crowing about the order "bringing the next gen", but from what we can see seems to feature exactly the same type of gameplay that cows bashed all last gen. how is that me downplaying it?

Let me simply point out the hypocracy to your whole rant. You say titanfall has a next gen feel in your opinion, regardless of my opinion how can you say The order is just gears with higher res if you haven't played it (like you have titanfall)...to "feel" how it plays?

that's your argument and words, now let me skip to mine.

Look at the argument presented in this thread and what is being discussed. Saying you disagree is all fine and dandy but you aren't presenting any arguments to counter my points nor saying anything worthwhile to support your opinion other than, "it's fun". That is not the point of this thread and since it's not your objection to my original post is meaningless.

But feel free to list the things that make Titanfall gameplay so next gen, I am sure it is doing things that no game has ever done before for you to feel so stongly.

jesus....there is no hypocrisy from me.......I have PLAYED titanfall..........I therefore know that it has a next gen feel (in my opinion).....maybe not next gen of games....more like next gen of FPS.

NONE of the cows here have played the order....and are judging it from videos......just the same as me......are we seeing two totally different videos now? No, there is little to no gameplay shown.

But what gameplay there is, appears to be super close to gears' gameplay. The true hypocrisy lies right there with the cows who bashed gears' gameplay all last gen and are now hailing "The order as the arrival of next gen".

to be fair, some PS4 gamers have said they've been put off because it looks like gears' last gen gameplay, so they are not all hypocritical.

personally, i'd have been all over the game (i liked gears), i love the setting and was genuiinely interested. but black bars have no place in video games, i doubt i could get past them, they are too off putting to me in games.

as for my thoughts on titanfall, check the sticky.

what don't you understand about "your argument" vs "my argument"?

YOU....are the one talking about titanfall having next gen gameplay beased on how it "feels" to you after playing it, so how the hell can YOU frame The Order gameplay having not played it to see how it feels? THAT is the hypocracy for YOUR argument.

I never said The Order had next gen gameplay! It is not my argument, that was your fanboy ego that threw that game in there for no reason talking about cows and other bullshit, re-read the original post you replied to buddy. I said nothing that has been shown has next gen gameplay. You are just getting caught up in hypocracy and contradiction of your origianl argument while trying to hype a game not on playstation 4 as next gen and diss a Playstation 4 exclusive you haven't played.

lol, it is amazing how you are caught up in bringing up The Order when it was never apart of my argument and you keep harping on it as if it's existance is an annoyance to you, does The Order cause you butthurt? You just sound like a bitter xbox fanboy trying his best to hype anything on xbox as amazing and hating on anything you feel might be promising on PS4.

Again, I said "nothing that has been shown has next gen gameplay" and I only mentioned Demon's Souls as a game in recent years that has shown "next gen" type gameplay and listed reasons why. You have failed to even list a single reason why Titanfall is supposed to have next gen gameplay other than because it's fun and because you say so, lol great argument.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

Killzone SF, DR3 and it appears TitanFall and The Order 1866

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#57 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Next gen gameplay is a 50+ new Pokémon and a new Fairy type. Next gen is here. :P

I've honestly never understood the argument. There's no need for these labels, we aren't going to see a sudden jump in how gameplay changes like from 2D to 3D. What we'll experience is a gradual evolution of mechanics that brings in new elements but doesn't entirely shift away from how games currently play.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#58 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Something like Destiny or The Division. A game which utilizes the new hardware and capabilities of the machine to do something we haven't really seen before. That doesn't mean the shooting in shooters will get better, but rather how you play the shooter will change. Match based gameplay will give way to more seamless transitions. Single player, co-op, and multiplayer aren't separated from each other, instead they are merged into one. The newest Need for Speed has a system like this that is pretty neat.

Other "next-gen" gameplay would be stuff like The Witcher 3 which is utilizing the expanded power of the devices to bring a much more believable world together. A game like Star Citizen that is pushing the boundaries of immersion within an MMO.

Last generation we saw a major rise in connectivity, focus on player customization, and player created content. This generation I'm expect those trends to continue while developers find ways to break down the walls between the various methods of play (singleplayer, co-op, multiplayer) all while improving the production values.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By kinectthedots

@Wasdie said:

Something like Destiny or The Division. A game which utilizes the new hardware and capabilities of the machine to do something we haven't really seen before. That doesn't mean the shooting in shooters will get better, but rather how you play the shooter will change. Match based gameplay will give way to more seamless transitions. Single player, co-op, and multiplayer aren't separated from each other, instead they are merged into one. The newest Need for Speed has a system like this that is pretty neat.

Other "next-gen" gameplay would be stuff like The Witcher 3 which is utilizing the expanded power of the devices to bring a much more believable world together. A game like Star Citizen that is pushing the boundaries of immersion within an MMO.

Last generation we saw a major rise in connectivity, focus on player customization, and player created content. This generation I'm expect those trends to continue while developers find ways to break down the walls between the various methods of play (singleplayer, co-op, multiplayer) all while improving the production values.

This is the reason why I listed Demon's Souls as the best example of a game with "next gen" gameplay in the most recent years. I was just redicliously ahead of it's time and actually Dark Souls was a step back from how advanced they had made the Demon's Souls world with the online and offline gameplay and world and soul tendency systems.

I would argue that a game like TW3 is a more evolutionary transistion in game creation rather than "next gen gameplay" but I can understand where you are coming from with that argument.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Haven't really seen it yet. I've enjoyed Dead Rising 3, but that's about it.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Zassimick said:

Next gen gameplay is a 50+ new Pokémon and a new Fairy type. Next gen is here. :P

I've honestly never understood the argument. There's no need for these labels, we aren't going to see a sudden jump in how gameplay changes like from 2D to 3D. What we'll experience is a gradual evolution of mechanics that brings in new elements but doesn't entirely shift away from how games currently play.

Agree with this.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

TBH gameplay peaked in the PS2 era with the addition of open gaming worlds. Something I'm sure PC gamers had for a few years before that.

Of course thing like graphics and AI improved, but other than that actual GAMEPLAY has stagnated.

What are my bright ideas for reviving gameplay? Honestly idk. The revival of some dying/dead genres (space flight sims, isometric RPG's, etc.) seems like a stop-gap to make us think they really are revitalizing the gameplay and will certainly wow the youngens, but us old fogies know the truth.

RageQuitter69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#64 RageQuitter69
Member since 2012 • 1366 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

@RageQuitter69 said:

People are not expecting developers to do anything relating to gameplay as no one cares for gameplay anymore, the only thing that people care about in games nowadays is the story, I hate to say it but it's true.

you dont need a next gen machine to change the game play.

I think this is why so much focus is on resolution. The main question here is why buy a new console when the old ones have the same resolution and same available game play?

Well that's the reason I am I no rush to buy one (in fact, I only recently purcahsed a new PS3), there are still many 7th gen titles still on my 'to play' list such as the Batman Arkham series, Max Payne 3 and Far Cry 3.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

What is "next gen gameplay"? A marketing term

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#66  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

When Uncharted 4 is released, we will know when next gen has started, tell then I'll brush off my Naughty Dog knee pads.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By kinectthedots

@sts106mat said:

@kinectthedots said:

@sts106mat said:

@kinectthedots said:

@sts106mat said:

@kinectthedots said:

@sts106mat said:

@kinectthedots said:

Nothing that has been shown this gen has next gen gameplay. The most "next gen" feeling gameplay that has been seen in years was Demon's Souls on PS3 last gen with world and soul tendencies intergrated with online and offline gameplay. that was truely mind blowingly next gen type gameplay.

Everyone else has been trying to copy that magic since but nothing has been shown that surpasses that level of innovative gameplay. Someone said titanfall, lol insert killzone 2/3, Planet Side 2, Hawken and Vanquish. There is nothing next gen about Titanfall gameplay. we have all seen mechs in shooters before the gameplay is the same its just is getting more hype because MS is treating it like a exclusive

The same person said Quantam Break, lmao NO how is watching movies = next gen GAMEPLAY?? That's right its not, Beyond 2 souls would be more next gen than that, intergrating movies with gameplay would fall back to dungons and dragons released on arcades during the nes and genesis generation and a time freeze machanic isn't anything new or original either so that is a total fail for "next gen" gameplay with those games.

I disagree, Titanfall is a shooter, but it has a next gen feel to it' gameplay. i've never had such immediate fun in an FPS like i did with Titanfall. it's a real gamechanger.....if you disagree, you are likely just jealous its not on PS4

also Forza's driveatar feature is a next addition which made a real difference to the gameplay IMO.

too much is being made of this "next gen gameplay" bollocks, the consoles aren't doing anything more than PC games have done before, so there isn't much next gen about it.

also look at "the order", cows going mental and hyping as the arrival of "next gen" well bollocks, because from what we've seen, its gears of war in a higher res.......a gameplay style that cows hated and bashed all last gen. (and are still doing now)

What you wrote is stupid.

basically, "I have fun with it so it's next gen, if you disagree you are jealous". What kind of argument is that?

Your argument seems to revolve around your fanboyism talking about cows and being jealous of a MUTIPLATFORM game. Did I say the game couldn't be "fun" dumbass I said it wasn't anything "next gen". Look at how you try to down play a playstation exclusive saying the order is just gears of war in higher res. Well Titanfall is just cod with mechs and the res isn't even that much higher.

No, I said it has a next gen feel to it, it is a real change of gameplay from the usual FPS. It will be a great game.

I also don't have "an argument", it's an opinion. I also stated the facts that cows are crowing about the order "bringing the next gen", but from what we can see seems to feature exactly the same type of gameplay that cows bashed all last gen. how is that me downplaying it?

Let me simply point out the hypocracy to your whole rant. You say titanfall has a next gen feel in your opinion, regardless of my opinion how can you say The order is just gears with higher res if you haven't played it (like you have titanfall)...to "feel" how it plays?

that's your argument and words, now let me skip to mine.

Look at the argument presented in this thread and what is being discussed. Saying you disagree is all fine and dandy but you aren't presenting any arguments to counter my points nor saying anything worthwhile to support your opinion other than, "it's fun". That is not the point of this thread and since it's not your objection to my original post is meaningless.

But feel free to list the things that make Titanfall gameplay so next gen, I am sure it is doing things that no game has ever done before for you to feel so stongly.

jesus....there is no hypocrisy from me.......I have PLAYED titanfall..........I therefore know that it has a next gen feel (in my opinion).....maybe not next gen of games....more like next gen of FPS.

NONE of the cows here have played the order....and are judging it from videos......just the same as me......are we seeing two totally different videos now? No, there is little to no gameplay shown.

But what gameplay there is, appears to be super close to gears' gameplay. The true hypocrisy lies right there with the cows who bashed gears' gameplay all last gen and are now hailing "The order as the arrival of next gen".

to be fair, some PS4 gamers have said they've been put off because it looks like gears' last gen gameplay, so they are not all hypocritical.

personally, i'd have been all over the game (i liked gears), i love the setting and was genuiinely interested. but black bars have no place in video games, i doubt i could get past them, they are too off putting to me in games.

as for my thoughts on titanfall, check the sticky.

what don't you understand about "your argument" vs "my argument"?

YOU....are the one talking about titanfall having next gen gameplay beased on how it "feels" to you after playing it, so how the hell can YOU frame The Order gameplay having not played it to see how it feels? THAT is the hypocracy for YOUR argument.

I never said The Order had next gen gameplay! It is not my argument, that was your fanboy ego that threw that game in there for no reason talking about cows and other bullshit, re-read the original post you replied to buddy. I said nothing that has been shown has next gen gameplay. You are just getting caught up in hypocracy and contradiction of your origianl argument while trying to hype a game not on playstation 4 as next gen and diss a Playstation 4 exclusive you haven't played.

lol, it is amazing how you are caught up in bringing up The Order when it was never apart of my argument and you keep harping on it as if it's existance is an annoyance to you, does The Order cause you butthurt? You just sound like a bitter xbox fanboy trying his best to hype anything on xbox as amazing and hating on anything you feel might be promising on PS4.

Again, I said "nothing that has been shown has next gen gameplay" and I only mentioned Demon's Souls as a game in recent years that has shown "next gen" type gameplay and listed reasons why. You have failed to even list a single reason why Titanfall is supposed to have next gen gameplay other than because it's fun and because you say so, lol great argument.

oh jesus you''ve got it bad.

read again and try and comprehend why you are wrong. your anger is showing, so many spelling mistakes in your post due yo your rage and rush to get the hate out.

wow, so side step everything I said in a deflection post?

Ok so you have no logical argument to counter with I get it, just keep your stupid opinion to yourself from now on as you can't even logically defend it, or at least don't quote poeple talking about how you disagree when you only have a biased fanboy "because it's fun and I like it" opinion as a counter argument.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#68  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@seanmcloughlin:

Not always true. The switch from cartridge to CD allowed games to become more open and less linear (fulminating in the PS2 era).

Like I said IMO gameplay has been stagnant since that gen and the general opinion of OMGgraphx = good game has taken over.

ldustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 ldustin
Member since 2014 • 133 Posts

There is no such thing as next gen advancement in controls because there have been no advancements in the interfaces.

What is needed (when Nintendo launches a new console) is something that is instantly awesome the moment you see it. They need to get 3D motion control right and they need something new like a haptic analog stick or a glove.