deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I asked System Wars to vote for the greatest video game franchises of all time, and boy, did you guys deliver. With over 150 votes gathered, spread out for 74 franchises represented, it was clear that System Wars likes a whole host of franchises- your preferences are as colorful and varied as you all yourself are.

Nonetheless, in spite of such a multitude of franchises being represented, there was a surprising consensus near the top. Above all, 10 franchises rose as the greatest franchises of all time, in your opinion. Here's what you thought were the best gaming had to offer:

10. DARK SOULS (From Software)

The newest franchise represented in the Top 10 (seriously, it's the only one that isn't nearly a decade old), Dark Souls' inclusion in this list was a no-brainer. With just two games, From Software has crafted a breathtaking reminder of what video gaming really is for the world- in Dark Souls, the focus is squarely on game design, and nothing else. Tasked to navigate a dreary world, you will die, and you will die again, but each time you die, it will be your fault, and you will have learned a little more about the rules of this world, learned a little more that will, hopefully, make it easier and possible for you to trudge onwards. From Software's Dark Souls games stand as a monument to tight game design, and really, there has been nothing else like them in a very long time now.

09. POKEMON (Game Freak, Nintendo)

Handheld gaming's premier franchise, that Pokemon was going to be in the top 10 was a foregone conclusion. I mean, Pokemon is the bastion for portable gaming- it was the gateway to proper video games for so many of us, and over the years, there have been those of us who have grown up and moved on, those of us who moved on but then came right back to it, those of us who stuck with the games no matter what, and those of us who came to the games much later, but one thing has not changed. Pokemon games are an adventure, and each new release is an event. With the enormous success of Pokemon X and Y, and the upcoming highly anticipated Ruby and Sapphire remakes later this year, one thing is for sure- for as long as there are portable games, Pokemon will be there to bear the standard.

08. METROID (Nintendo)

Metroid is the darkest, most brooding, most gritty of Nintendo franchises- it is the one Nintendo franchise that is like nothing else on the market. It is also a singular example, on a consistent basis, of pure game design, and what can be accomplished with it, and nothing else. In Metroid, the would you are in is everything, and how you interact with it determines everything as well- your progress, you triumphs and failures, and even the story of the game, which is told, amazingly, via your interactions with the world. As video games go, it's hard to get more perfect than Metroid at its top form. It's also hard to just be like it at all.

07. MASS EFFECT (Bioware)

Mass Effect was a glorious experiment of storytelling in video games, where everything that you did had a choice, a consequence, choices and consequences that mattered not just within this one game, but into its sequel and beyond. The three Mass Effect games came together to tell a stunning science fiction story, a pulpy space opera that gave gaming its own sci-fi epic. Mass Effect is truly an example of franchise cohesion- none of the three games stand out all that much on their own (the closest is perhaps Mass Effect 2), but together, as a trilogy? They provide one of the most unforgettable experiences of last generation.

06. METAL GEAR (Kojima)

The products of Kojima's mad genius, the Metal Gear series of video games was obviously going to be here- in fact, the surprising thing is not that it made it into the top 10, but that it didn't rank higher. The video games are an exercise in video game narration, and meaningful narration at that, as each game stands as a commentary on so many relevant current day political and social issues. But the strength of Metal Gear Solid isn't just in the story or storytelling (though that's definitely its key attraction)- on a pure gameplay level, Metal Gear does stealth like absolutely nothing else. From the sterile facilities of Metal Gear Solid 2 to the jungle of Metal Gear Solid 3, to the upcoming, staggering, open world of Metal Gear Solid V, this is one series that will always stand as required reading for all video game players.

05. FINAL FANTASY (Square)

Final Fantasy's star has fallen in recent years (and by that, I mean seriously fallen), but none of that can detract from what a tour de force this franchise was in its heyday, at its prime. Arguably the franchise that sold the PlayStation, Final Fantasy was once synonymous with role playing games. It set graphical standards, with beautiful soundtracks, incredible characters inhabiting mysterious worlds that were just waiting to be discovered, all the while telling deeply involving and moving stories. Over time, the franchise lost sight of what made it great to begin with and became a self fulfilling parody of itself, but what it did can never be undermined, never be negated.

04. HALO (Bungie, 343, Microsoft)

The only first party franchise on this list that doesn't belong to Nintendo, Halo was a revolution. Back from the very first game, which not only showed that shooters were possible on consoles, but also made an indelible impact on video game design, to Halo 2, which set a gold standard for console multiplayer gaming that arguably still hasn't surpassed, to Halo 3, which synthesized the strengths of the first two games, to beyond- Halo is the mascot, the face of Xbox, and as long as Halo exists, people will have a reason to buy an Xbox. Halo 4 may have been a stumble, but 343 Industries look like they are listening to feedback, and eager to restore Halo to its former prestige. Under their watch, this franchise should hold on to its position of one of the greatest franchises in gaming for a long, long time.

03. GRAND THEFT AUTO (Rockstar)

This is gaming's breakout moment. This is the moment in time that gaming grew up. Grand Theft Auto III was a landmark game, and it forever changed our understanding of what games could do and achieve. And while a whole host of me-toos sprang up in its wake, over the years, the only thing that has come close to the glory of Grand Theft Auto is more Grand Theft Auto. And sure, fans will moan and bitch about how GTA 4 was underwhelming, or how GTA 5 was ultimately disappointing, but with industry wide critical acclaim, and staggering sales under their belt, I don't think Rockstar really cares what some jaded gamers have to say- GTA is awesome, they know it, their fans know it, everyone else knows it. That's all that matters.

02. SUPER MARIO (Nintendo)

He is the mascot. He is the face. He is synonymous with gaming. The world over, people may not play video games, or know what a Nintendo or a PlayStation is, but they damn well know Mario. And they have every reason to. Nintendo's mascot almost single handedly revived and then built the modern console gaming industry back in the 1980s, and over the years, he has maintained his reputation for excellence with a series of platforming games that represent nothing but pure, distilled game design at its finest. From the paradigm shifting Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 64 to the genre perfecting Super Mario Bros. World and Super Mario Galaxy 2, one thing is for sure- you may not like the kind of game he has to offer, but if Mario is on the cover of a platformer, chances are, in will be one of the greatest games ever made. And really, that's why he will continue to reign over gaming.

01. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA (Nintendo)

Let's be honest here, of course Zelda was going to win. Of course. Gaming's gold standard, gaming's premier franchise, with each release an occasion, a series of games that consistently blazed a trail for all else to follow, a series of games that has consistently, over twenty five years now, represented nothing but Nintendo's absolute mastery over game design. That, coupled with some charming graphics, iconic characters and locales, a soundtrack for the ages, and a story that grows with every single re-telling, make this, undoubtedly, the single greatest game franchise of all time- something that System Wars has agreed on not once, but twice now. Truly a legend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

All right, now time for some System Wars flavored trivia facts about this competition:

• Nintendo had the most representation in the top 10, with four out of ten franchises being theirs. No other company in the top ten had more than one franchise nominated.
  • Curiously enough, not a single Sony first party franchise made it into the top ten, while both Nintendo and Microsoft got representation. In fact, even if we were to extend that to the top twenty, not a single Sony franchise would show up. The first Sony franchise to show up was Uncharted, at #21.
  • Not a single PC exclusive (or PC-centric) franchise showed up in the Top 10 either. However, Half-Life, The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls, and Fallout were all in the Top 20.
  • Only three franchises out of 74 managed to breach 1000 points during voting. These were Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and The Legend of Zelda. Of these, Mario and Zelda breached 2000 points in voting. Halo came very close to breaching 1000 with 975 points.
  • Role playing games were the most popular genre, as four of the top ten franchises were all role playing games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Here are the honorable mentions (franchises 11-20):

Half Life (Valve)
The Elder Scrolls (Bethesda)
The Witcher (CD Projekt RED)
Super Smash Bros. (Nintendo)
Sid Meier's Civilization (Firaxis)
Shin Megami Tensei (Atlus)
Fallout (Interplay, Black Isle, Obsidian, Bethesda)
Resident Evil (Capcom)
Dragon Quest (Enix)
Megaman (Capcom)

Check out the full leaderboard here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

All right, we are now open for business.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

About what I expected.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

One thing about Final Fantasy. You should also mention its branches (Sakaguchi's Mistwalker Studios, Nobuo Uematsu, and Monolith Soft's Xenosaga, Xenogears and eventually Xenoblade Chronicles).

It's so easy to forget, but Final Fantasy in its prime was the tipping point for at least two console wars (SNES pulled away with FF6 (then named FF3 due to NA never receiving the actual FF3 until the DS version or FF5). We all know the story of how Squaresoft's defection to Sony (which in fact, has more to do with Yamauchi refusing to allow them to make 3rd party N64 cartridges) changed gaming forever.

Come to think of it, that really was Yamauchi's biggest legacy, and one that still haunts Nintendo to this very day.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

Online franchise I'd argue that is out of place is Final Fantasy because of their sharp decline over the past decade. Solid list over all though.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

" Final Fantasy's star has fallen in recent years (and by that, I mean seriously fallen)" Really? Just have to get on the hate bandwagon hu.Just cause some dont like some of the games. Anywho on topic list is pretty predictable. Only not predictable one is dark souls. Though I personally didint care for it.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Happy MGS placed. Sad Halo placed higher.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@finalfantasy94: Or... maybe that's how I feel about the franchise, and I'll say it in a write up that I'm doing. I think the franchise has had an extremely sharp decline in the last ten years (incidentally, speaking as a solid fan of FF12 and FF14 here). Guess what, most people actually agree. You like the games, more power to you, really, but don't dismiss the opinions of those who disagree with you as 'bandwagoning.'

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

#SDC baby....oh wait

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

I love Dark Souls (playing 2 right now), but i'm surprised it got there. Awesome games, but ipersonally would put one of those honorable meantions over it, like maybe Megaman.

But that's fine anyway. Not surprised Mario and Zelda won. Cool list overall.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I can accept this list. Metal gears and final fantasy are convoluted garbage and darksouls is waaaaaaaay over hyped but other than that the list is good.

My objective list would probably be something like:

Zelda
Mario
Metroid
Pokemon
Mario Kart
GTA
Halo
Megaman
Mass Effect
Portal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@farrell2k said:

Nintendo has the best games available, even the fakeboy, pretend Nintendo haters agree. I am surprised that Metroid wasn't lower on the list, considering that the Metrorid Prime trilogy was so much better than the Mass Effect trilogy.

The Metroid Prime trilogy was also immediately followed by Metroid: Other M.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By finalfantasy94

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94: Or... maybe that's how I feel about the franchise, and I'll say it in a write up that I'm doing. I think the franchise has had an extremely sharp decline in the last ten years (incidentally, speaking as a solid fan of FF12 and FF14 here). Guess what, most people actually agree. You like the games, more power to you, really, but don't dismiss the opinions of those who disagree with you as 'bandwagoning.'

Didint know this was your own personal opinion piece. Just thought you were putting up the info and numbers my friend.Maybe iv just become a tiny bit bitter to those who say the series is runied (which I think is people overreacting a bit) just cause they dont like a entry here and there and I just blanket them sometimes with those who are more rational at disliking it.Sorry if I offended.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

GTA should've been at no 1, still at no 3 not bad :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Didint know this was your own personal opinion piece. Just thought you were putting up the info and numbers my friend.Maybe iv just become a tiny bit bitter to those who say the series is runied (which I think is people overreacting a bit) just cause they dont like a entry here and there and I just blanket them sometimes with those who are more rational at disliking it.Sorry if I offended.

The numbers and info are objective, the write ups are my opinion on each franchise lol. Sorry if I came off as hostile too.

In any case, can't wait for Type 0 and 15, A Realm Reborn gives me some hope.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Cool list but LOL at 7.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#20  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

All right, now time for some System Wars flavored trivia facts about this competition:

• Nintendo had the most representation in the top 10, with four out of ten franchises being theirs. No other company in the top ten had more than one franchise nominated.
  • Curiously enough, not a single Sony first party franchise made it into the top ten, while both Nintendo and Microsoft got representation. In fact, even if we were to extend that to the top twenty, not a single Sony franchise would show up. The first Sony franchise to show up was Uncharted, at #21.
  • Not a single PC exclusive (or PC-centric) franchise showed up in the Top 10 either. However, Half-Life, The Witcher, The Elder Scrolls, and Fallout were all in the Top 20.
  • Only three franchises out of 74 managed to breach 1000 points during voting. These were Grand Theft Auto, Super Mario, and The Legend of Zelda. Of these, Mario and Zelda breached 2000 points in voting. Halo came very close to breaching 1000 with 975 points.
  • Role playing games were the most popular genre, as four of the top ten franchises were all role playing games.

Sony and PC fans are usually dominant around here on System Wars, so it's pretty surprising to see no Sony first-party or PC-centric franchises in the top 10. I was pretty sure Uncharted would make it on the list.

@hiphops_savior said:

One thing about Final Fantasy. You should also mention its branches (Sakaguchi's Mistwalker Studios, Nobuo Uematsu, and Monolith Soft's Xenosaga, Xenogears and eventually Xenoblade Chronicles).

It's so easy to forget, but Final Fantasy in its prime was the tipping point for at least two console wars (SNES pulled away with FF6 (then named FF3 due to NA never receiving the actual FF3 until the DS version or FF5). We all know the story of how Squaresoft's defection to Sony (which in fact, has more to do with Yamauchi refusing to allow them to make 3rd party N64 cartridges) changed gaming forever.

Come to think of it, that really was Yamauchi's biggest legacy, and one that still haunts Nintendo to this very day.

True about Final Fantasy's important role in two generations. It helped the SNES pull ahead of the Mega Drive, and then helped the PlayStation whoop the N64.

As for Yamauchi, after Squaresoft's defection, he had this to say about RPG players: "People who play RPGs are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

lol at Dark Souls being so high up and lol even more at no Sony franchises in the top 20. "But...but....Sony has tons of memorable franchises!!!" Guess not

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#22 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Half-Life only at 11 and Portal not in the top 20 ?

I hate you guys. I really do.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45100 Posts

Zelda at number 1? If this was a poll taken from a general pool of gamers, Mario would easily crush Zelda. From a critic point of you, Mario has pushed the platforming genre every single time. Zelda hasn't pushed adventure gaming in years. In fact, it's starting to borrow elements from other games (Zelda Wii U mimicking Skyrim). And from a financial standpoint, Mario easily wins again. But both of these games don't even come close to GTA. GTA has continued to push boundaries and stay culturally relevant in these times. GTA V alone has sold 35+ million copies on last gen consoles and it hasn't even been a year yet! And wait till next gen and PC versions come out. Now that's a true number 1 franchise.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

I just can't comprehend how people regard Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid as a good exampleofnarrative done right in a video game. Other than that great list.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 finalfantasy94

@charizard1605 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@charizard1605 said:

The numbers and info are objective, the write ups are my opinion on each franchise lol. Sorry if I came off as hostile too.

In any case, can't wait for Type 0 and 15, A Realm Reborn gives me some hope.

I played the jpn demo for type 0 on psp and kinda reminded me of crisis core so cant wait for the ps4 version. Im also excited for 15 but at the same im annoyed square BLOWS when it comes to releasing their games in a timely fasion. They might as well wipe our memories after announcing the dam games.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
@mems_1224 said:

lol at Dark Souls being so high up and lol even more at no Sony franchises in the top 20. "But...but....Sony has tons of memorable franchises!!!" Guess not

Sony has tons of memorable awards

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL RPG's and stealth games.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

this list from SW is very console centric, and not to mention very Nintendo/Japanese. What happened with them glorious PC games? But I gotta laugh at: "pure gameplay level, Metal Gear does stealth like absolutely nothing else". In a world where there is Thief, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell and Tenchu MGS' stealth is just... It's irrelevant.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Gue1 said:

this list from SW is very console centric, and not to mention very Nintendo/Japanese. What happened with them glorious PC games? But I gotta laugh at: "pure gameplay level, Metal Gear does stealth like absolutely nothing else". In a world where there is Thief, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell and Tenchu MGS' stealth is just archaic.

To be fair, I didn't say Metal Gear does it well, I just said it does it like nothing else :p

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Nintispot lol. Either way this list was expected to has most of the nintendo franchises.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#31 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Here for all the butthurt this list is going to cause.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 finalfantasy94

@hiphops_savior said:

True about Final Fantasy's important role in two generations. It helped the SNES pull ahead of the Mega Drive, and then helped the PlayStation whoop the N64.

As for Yamauchi, after Squaresoft's defection, he had this to say about RPG players: "People who play RPGs are depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games."

well that seems harsh.Wonder what lead him to that thought process.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

Meh, never could get into Zelda. Tried it with Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time and now with Wind Waker on the Wii U. The braindead dialogs just kill those games for me. Like most Nintendo games actually. Still plan to try Link to the Past on the 3DS and the upcoming Wii U Zelda. I don't expect anything memorable though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-597794cd74015

@Gue1 said:

this list from SW is very console centric, and not to mention very Nintendo/Japanese. What happened with them glorious PC games? But I gotta laugh at: "pure gameplay level, Metal Gear does stealth like absolutely nothing else". In a world where there is Thief, Deus Ex, Splinter Cell and Tenchu MGS' stealth is just... It's irrelevant.

This ^

The stealth element becomes secondary to very action oriented boss battles.

Half the bosses in every MGS game have to be fought with stinger missiles. Which aren't very quiet by the way.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hiphops_savior

@faizanhd: Half-Life would be much higher if they can count to three.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This is a good list. I'm actually impressed that System Wars has some taste at least.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Mass Effect was a glorious experiment of storytelling in video games, where everything that you did had a choice, a consequence, choices and consequences that mattered not just within this one game, but into its sequel and beyond. The three Mass Effect games came together to tell a stunning science fiction story, a pulpy space opera that gave gaming its own sci-fi epic. Mass Effect is truly an example of franchise cohesion- none of the three games stand out all that much on their own (the closest is perhaps Mass Effect 2), but together, as a trilogy? They provide one of the most unforgettable experiences of last generation.

What consequences for what choices... I just remember an alignment bar changing. And a bunch of nods that had no impact on the overall story or gameplay, I remember nothing.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

And no mention of Street Fighter or Silent Hill is a shame. Two series that single handedly pushed and evolved their respective genres all by themselves. If it weren't for these 2 the 2D fighting game genre would be dead right now and the survival horror genre wouldn't be the same either. But there is Dark Souls that does absolutely nothing new but bring back an old formula (aka, King's Field) or Mass Effect, a joke of a franchise trying to pass itself for an RPG when in reality is just another cover shooter with a convoluted story and terrible ending.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
@Gue1 said:

Yea all these people that claim to be hermits to stealth troll or have only been gaming for a couple of years. No Civilization on there (I could argue many others) is nuts. Also have to agree about the stealth elements. Old school thief still stands like a juggernaut above the others IMO.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Boy, is Mario so much better than that lame Zelda series. So is Call of Duty and Resident Evil.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@blue_hazy_basic said:
@Gue1 said:

Yea all these people that claim to be hermits to stealth troll or have only been gaming for a couple of years. No Civilization on there (I could argue many others) is nuts. Also have to agree about the stealth elements. Old school thief still stands like a juggernaut above the others IMO.

Civilization is in the Top 20. I think it's #13.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jag85

@SolidGame_basic said:

Zelda at number 1? If this was a poll taken from a general pool of gamers, Mario would easily crush Zelda. From a critic point of you, Mario has pushed the platforming genre every single time. Zelda hasn't pushed adventure gaming in years. In fact, it's starting to borrow elements from other games (Zelda Wii U mimicking Skyrim). And from a financial standpoint, Mario easily wins again. But both of these games don't even come close to GTA. GTA has continued to push boundaries and stay culturally relevant in these times. GTA V alone has sold 35+ million copies on last gen consoles and it hasn't even been a year yet! And wait till next gen and PC versions come out. Now that's a true number 1 franchise.

Zelda was doing open-world gameplay long before The Elder Scrolls ever existed, let alone Skyrim. Zelda U is simply returning to its open-world roots.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-597794cd74015

@Maroxad said:

@charizard1605 said:

What consequences for what choices... I just remember an alignment bar changing. And a bunch of nods that had no impact on the overall story or gameplay, I remember nothing.

I'm not sure how it counts as an RPG either.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jag85

@finalfantasy94 said:

@hiphops_savior said:

well that seems harsh.Wonder what lead him to that thought process.

Bitterness. He was basically giving the middle-finger to Squaresoft, by attacking RPG fans as a whole. Unsurprisingly, Nintendo lost a lot of RPG support after that.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hiphops_savior

@Jag85: The RPG support was already lost by Nintendo before Squaresoft made the switch. Yamauchi just nailed the coffin, and thus, why Nintendo's 3rd party support never recovered.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Zelda was doing open-world gameplay long before The Elder Scrolls ever existed, let alone Skyrim. Zelda U is simply returning to its open-world roots.

I like to call The Legend of Zelda for the NES to be the Skyrim of the NES days. Because every story I hear about those who have played it on their NES just seem so comparable to discussions about The Elder Scrolls, Like someone would tell you a story about how they accidentally found a hidden door that had a dude inside that gave you money, now which game were they talking about? The Elder Scrolls or Zelda? It's funny how they seem so similar.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Zelda is #1

All is right in the world.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Zelda at number one makes me laugh so hard. So damn hard.

@inb4uall said:

I can accept this list. Metal gears and final fantasy are convoluted garbage and darksouls is waaaaaaaay over hyped but other than that the list is good.

My objective list would probably be something like:

Zelda

Mario

Metroid

Pokemon

Mario Kart

GTA

Halo

Megaman

Mass Effect

Portal

THIS MAKES ME LAUGH MORE

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Jag85

@hiphops_savior said:

@Jag85: The RPG support was already lost by Nintendo before Squaresoft made the switch. Yamauchi just nailed the coffin, and thus, why Nintendo's 3rd party support never recovered.

Not sure I completely agree with this. Up until 1996, the SNES still had a lot of RPG support. It wasn't until Squaresoft's defection in 1996 that we actually started seeing a decline in third-party RPG output on Nintendo consoles. But it's true that Nintendo was already losing RPG support even before Yamauchi's scathing remark in 1999, which, as you said, just struck the last nail in the coffin.