SYSTEM WARS MONTHLY (June Issue) (MGS4, Too Human, E3 2008)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26096 Posts

Intro - Willy105

Kept you waiting, huh?

I am your editor-in-chief, Willy105, speaking! It is now time to unleash our June issue to the world. But what happened in June? Not much. Gamespot was bought by CBS Networks, Jack Thompson got thrown out of court, and some other small things. What am I missing? Oh yeah.

Metal Gear Solid 4.

For the first time in Gamespot history, two games have gotten the once impossible Perfect 10 score in less than a year. The first one belonged to GTA4, but that is a multiplat. It doesn't exist. But Metal Gear Solid 4 is still 100% exclusive to the Playstation 3. That means an AAAE. The highest honor you can give a faction, and the cows have gotten it. This was the month of the cows.

Also, by the time this issue is released, which if you are reading this, it has happened already, E3 2008 is just one day away. That's why we are going to do something we have never done before in System Wars Monthly, a LIVE issue. In here we will give coverage from all the big games shown at E3! So stay tuned, this will be big!

Also, we have a special logo this month made by TheEndBoss, which will be leaving us after this issue.

Brought to you in Full HD* *we are lying, it's in 640p, flamewar begins in 3...2....1This is System Wars Monthly!

Weather Report - Tsug_Ze_Wind

Hello SW! I'm Tsug_Ze_Wind, and I'll be your weathersheep this evening.

So congrats cows! You endured a really long drought, teased with almost-AAAs and identity crises, and it finally paid off in not just an AAAE, but an AAAAE. It took a while, but it can now be said that "Just Wait" is dead.

And you guys are having a party! After a while where cow presence in SW was mostly claims of Uncharted being the graphics king (sorry, console graphics king. Wouldn't wanna go there) and of course, in the sanctuary that was the gazillion-post MGS4 hype thread, it's back to the status cow, and back to the hype train for LBP and KZ2.

And why not? Is this the beginning of PS3's '08 that we heard so much about in '07? At any rate, it's coming along better than PS3's '07 that we heard about in '06. So get out there, cows, and tell us how it's gonna be! It's beach weather, baby! Cows in bikinis! I don't know where I'm going with this.

As for the lemmings, they predicted they'd have trouble on their hands ever since the first "MGS4 coming to 360?" thread. This could be the start of the turnaround! No? The equalizer? With Gears 2 leading off the one-man army of "surefire" AAAs on the horizon, lemmings might need a big E3, or else they might actually worry, for the first time in the gen, about the cows.

The sheep aren't feeling the heat as much, (did we ever desperately call for MGS4?) but in the middle of a noticeable drought, we'll also have to look to E3 before the attacks are pointed in our direction once again.

Well cows, once again, congrats. Feel free to be cocky and aggressive, and probably set yourself up for future disappointment, thus completing the System Wars cycle. See you next month.

P.S.: Is it funny that they still technically don't have an AAAE?

System Wars: The Comic - justforlotr2004

Too Human preview - justforlotr2004

Like the movie The Never Ending Story since it seemed as if Too Human's development cycle would never end with the start of the development dating back to 1999 and traveled across many consoles. So what fortune has SK brought us? Has it lost it's focus over the long development cycle? Well finally we are seeing the fruit's of their labor, and to myself and other's what a bitter sweet fruit it is.

The genre that it stands on is quite a blurred one; is it an action game? a RPG? Though despite the scope of the game the game will be sized up to all games in all the genre's it touches. With games like Ninja Giaden 2 and Devil May cry 4 that were released recently being the major game's its compared to and the RPG element seems to take a back seat.

On the RPG front the depth of the game it is quite well thought out with the different skill's and large set's of ways to differentiate yourself from your buddy when playing co-op. The real thing to look at is how does it meld into the action gameplay. Overall I think it's a hit and a miss from what I have played so far with some of the skill's being interesting and useful to some not so much. I think a major reason for this is the fact that the action gameplay aspect is just not up to snuff to where it should be. To me it felt as if I was just standing there swinging a pillow around my head and knocking everyone over.

There really is no snap crackle or even a pop from the interaction with your character and the enemy. In game's like Ninja Giaden or Devil May Cry you can really feel the blade make each hit, but in Too Human the sound, rumble, animation's and overall effect's when you hit a regular enemy is quite underwhelming. The only time I truely felt like I was making some solid hit's on an enemy was the boss'. The gunplay looked to be a lot like DMC, but after trying it out I was rather disappointed with this aspect too. The gunplay has the mechanics to be good, but the way it is pulled off makes it feel as if I was watering my lawn with a water hose. It just feel's as if I lock on then hold the button's down and it spray's them till they are dead. The controls was a major problem for me with the right stick attacking instead of moving the camera, but it is something that can be adapted too so there is no problem there.

Overall I am a tad disappointed in the execution of the gameplay, but the lore is pretty well presented and is the main redeeming feature of the game. The blending of human and machine world's makes for an intresting setting when mixed with Norse Mythology. The game may not be a day one game, but it defiantly seem's to be worth a playthrough. The mutltiplayer although was cut from 4 to 2 in co-op it will still add some fun to the mix.

Although my preview may not be the most joyful one I leave you with one last thought for this game. I blieve everyone should atleast give it a rent, the scope of the game is quite big to be summed up in a demo or preview from what I can tell so I think it's atleast worthy of a rent if not more.

Peak of Intrest: 3.5/5

Flock preview - justfortor2004

First Flock gameplay video

When I first heard that Capcom had a game to announce this E3 with the code name Flock what immediately came to mind was a Flock of Zombie's which lead me to believe it could be a sequel to Dead Rising, one of the best zombie games to date. Unfortunately my brain failed me and repulsed even the most starving zombie's leaving us zombie lover's empty handed. So instead we get next best thing, a farm game. As unenthusiastic as I may sound about this announcement I find that after watching the video above it peak's a bit of my carnivore impulse's to keep me from going to the darkside that is know as vegetarian. Although it may not be what many were hoping or expecting I think from what has been shown it has enough variety in the gameplay to warrant some attention.

-------

Here are a few thing's I can deduct from the video.

- Very simple but yet a template for some more complex looking puzzle's.

- Co-op. Who doesn't love dropping in and out with a buddy and just fooling around.

- Level maker. A quick glimpse at a level editor which could prove fun.

- Interaction with the environment like moving fence's and knocking over object's in the path of your soon to be hamburger's and chicken nugget's.

- Bouncing animal's? Fun to the max!

- On PC, PS3, and XBL so plently of love to go around.

-------

Overall it remind's me a bit of Loco Roco, Lemming's and Pikmin which are each good game's, but how well this game measure's up (although it is an arcade game) is to be determined.

Peak of Interest: 3/5

E3 Special Report - Tsug_Ze_Wind

Welcome to the E3 forecast! I'm Tsug_Ze_Wind, and...you know the rest.
Last year's E3 may have been a dud, but this one promises to be at least a bit more exciting. Each group is hoping for and expecting big things, so if nothing else, we'll be able to watch their hopes get crushed. It should be fun either way.
It looks like sheep have the most potential for a great E3, but they're also the ones who need it the most, in the middle of a drought, with plenty of "Wait 'till E3" comments warding off cow and lemming attacks right now, it'll be pretty bad if they walk away empty, and it'll get downright ugly if Wii Fit 2 takes center stage. But I don't think any cow or lemming is betting on that.
MGS4 has come and gone (strange how that happens so quickly, I swear I just wrote about it), and now what the cows need is a surefire AAAE to hype. With FF13 being pushed off, Killzone 2 being far from a surefire AAA, and LittleBigPlanet not exactly WMD-material, the cows want info on their next game that will strike fear into the lemmings and make them shout "Port it!" even though there's even less a chance of that happening: God of War III. It's a pretty safe bet that it'll be there, it'll look good, and the cows will begin the hype train, complete with screens!
Lemmings just want big games to compliment GeOW2. Perhaps a little too much. (Halo 4? Get real.) Unless there's some supersecret bomb revealed (like, if I'm totally wrong about Halo 4), lemmings might be watching the other conferences, hoping that Wii Fit 2 is the main attraction and GoW3 isn't looking good.
Of course, there's also the possibility that this E3 is a lemon like last year. But that prediction's just no fun, is it?

E3 2008 - System Wars Monthly Special Feature

Full coverage of E3 2008, right here on System Wars! All of your news, games, and megatons will be right here!

Hit the jump for information on your company!

E3 2008 COVERAGE IS OVER. THANK YOU.

Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts
Hilarious comic, and nice thread. Must have taken a long time.
no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts
Heh. You continue your trend of excellency with this issue. Outstanding job Willy105.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Willy105

Heh. You continue your trend of excellency with this issue. Outstanding job Willy105.no_handlebars

Usually, I just post them. There's a team of talented Gamespot users behind every issue.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

E3 starts tomorow? this is a pretty cozy little rock i live under.

Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts

Nice.

Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
There isn't much information in this yet. PM me tomorrow when some content is added after Microsoft's press conference and I'll sticky it.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Willy105

There isn't much information in this yet. PM me tomorrow when some content is added after Microsoft's press conference and I'll sticky it.Soulreavercross

Excellent.

bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 bstarter29
Member since 2006 • 2339 Posts

Excellent as usual Willy. Even better that it involves MGS.:P

As for E3, can't wait. Been dying for it all week. I'm really excited for Sony's presser, and can't wait to see if Nintendo unveils Kid Icarus and/or the new LoZ.

As for Microsoft, there's only one game I'm looking foward to from them. I hope it appears tomorrow, but I doubt it. I bet you can't guess what it is.:P

vitonemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 vitonemesis
Member since 2006 • 3162 Posts

xD the fanboy got pwned nice comic dude 5/5

no_handlebars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 no_handlebars
Member since 2008 • 1774 Posts

[QUOTE="no_handlebars"]Heh. You continue your trend of excellency with this issue. Outstanding job Willy105.Willy105

Usually, I just post them. There's a team of talented Gamespot users behind every issue.

Oh, I see. Well,excellent job System Wars Monthly team...
Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#15 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts
man I love those comics, keep em up!
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 crunchUK
Member since 2007 • 3050 Posts

hahaha the guide button on the lemming turns into an RROD :lol:

also i got to the master marlin chapter of system wars the game... the bit where jeff threatens to permaban everyone because of those weird jumps :) am i nearly done?

DOS4dinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DOS4dinner
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts
Another soon-to-be/already is epic thread as usual. Looking forward to those Megaton sections filling up. We did not have that many megatons last year, right?
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JPOBS

also i got to the master marlin chapter of system wars the game... the bit where jeff threatens to permaban everyone because of those weird jumps :) am i nearly done?

crunchUK
link to the sw game?
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

Oh, you got my forecast in there. Awesome.

I didn't know it started tomorrow. I thought we had three more days. :P

W_Birkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 W_Birkin
Member since 2006 • 250 Posts
lol that comic made me laugh
Avatar image for deactivated-619c4c1a1a382
deactivated-619c4c1a1a382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 deactivated-619c4c1a1a382
Member since 2005 • 4956 Posts

good job

especially on the comic

-Wheels-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Wheels-
Member since 2005 • 3137 Posts
It almost feels like a pre-game sports cast. I like it! And I didn't even know E3 was 1 day away.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Willy105

crunchUK
You are about 1/3 of the way there!
-Holtz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Holtz-
Member since 2006 • 1012 Posts
How doesn't MGS4 count as an AAAAE? This is game spot, its exclusive and it got a 10/10 and people have clearly stated before that we go by game-spots score O.o
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 crunchUK
[QUOTE="crunchUK"]

Willy105

darn... you lied! you said it was 4 hours long :P

Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

How doesn't MGS4 count as an AAAAE? This is game spot, its exclusive and it got a 10/10 and people have clearly stated before that we go by game-spots score O.o-Holtz-

Sure it wasn't Grand Theft Auto IV that was being referred to? ;) Ah, and good work Willy105, Tsug_Ze_Wind, and justforlotr2004. Just one thing strange about that comic though...

There's a cake in one of the panels...>.>

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="crunchUK"]

crunchUK

That was my record. How long did it take you to get there?
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts

Question: When does E3 officially start?

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
Nice comic. Xbot was done nice with the bloody lancer in hand :P
diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts

why do you waste your time with this? Is this even an attempt to acually be decent? Or did you purposely make it bad.

If you meant to make it a poorly written, then I have to admit it was pretty humourous. Just beacuse of how very, very, poorly done it was.

Keep doing it if that was your intention. However, if you acually wanted to make it good, then I would suggest keep doing it, who knows you might improve somehow, and in the meantime I will still be able to laugh at how bad it is.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-586249e1b64ba

why do you waste your time with this? Is this even an attempt to acually be decent? Or did you purposely make it bad.

If you meant to make it a poorly written, then I have to admit it was pretty humourous. Just beacuse of how very, very, poorly done it was.

Keep doing it if that was your intention. However, if you acually wanted to make it good, then I would suggest keep doing it, who knows you might improve somehow, and in the meantime I will still be able to laugh at how bad it is.

diped

If you're going to criticize something or someone, at least give reasons that aren't vague. It helps them improve and helps you maintain an image of not being a typical System Warrior.

club-sandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 club-sandwich
Member since 2007 • 8399 Posts
haha that comic is bomb! :lol:
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Willy105

super_mario_128

When Microsoft's press conference begins tomorrow.

Avatar image for justforlotr2004
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 justforlotr2004
Member since 2004 • 10935 Posts
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]

Willy105

When Microsoft's press conference begins tomorrow.

I think Gamespot needs to change their banner and put the 14th-17th because I'm seeing a lot of confusion going on of when E3 actually starts. Anyway good job on pulling the issue together in such short notice. :)

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 crunchUK
[QUOTE="crunchUK"][QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="crunchUK"]

Willy105

That was my record. How long did it take you to get there?

...double :( mind you it tooke me lie 3 hours to get into lemming land. darn ninjas.

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JPOBS
someone link me to the sw game
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 justforlotr2004

someone link me to the sw gameJPOBS

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions/home.php?union_id=TGSGU

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
great job Willy
SER69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SER69
Member since 2003 • 7096 Posts
Nicely done.
SSCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 SSCyborg
Member since 2007 • 7625 Posts

I like that whole Halo 4 comment at the end. :P

I guess it kinda is funny that the new rumour about Bungie's next title came out today.

ovechkin08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ovechkin08
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts
Great job! I lol'd at the 640p.:P
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Willy105

Look!

Kotaku got a peek inside E3!

Fancy seats!

A lot of furniture.

Bethesda's Booth!

Boxes with stuff Sony will show off.

PC's and hardware!

Capcom's booth, still in it's original packaging!

An aisle!

A list of places to visit at E3! Needs a map.

A place to wait in line to play a certain Xbox 360 game. Banjo-Kazooie obviously.

A sign telling you to leave.

A sign saying something. Very cryptic.

Play area!

More!

That's it.

papi_lekker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 papi_lekker
Member since 2008 • 360 Posts
ofcourse i will see the conference, always excited about the new features, the fall update contents, the new announcements and new games to showcase. but i dont want a show where microsoft is blabbing about how good they are, how the xbox 360 is way better and how they rule everything with fake statistics.:evil:
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

Excellent. I wish E3 was open to the public again, I'd go atleast to one, oh well. I'll be there, online!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Excellent. I wish E3 was open to the public again, I'd go atleast to one, oh well. I'll be there, online!

ReverseCycology

You could always dress up as a pyro from Team Fortress 2 and say you're there to help promote Valve. :D Just whatever you do, avoid anything hot like the plague. They might do spy checks. >.>

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Willy105

The Microsoft Press Conference begins in three hours.

2 hours and 53 minutes to be exact of when this post was posted.

So if you are even remotely interested in what Microsoft has to say, then you better get your seats ready!

NEW FLOCK PREVIEW ADDED

bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bstarter29
Member since 2006 • 2339 Posts

Please Microsoft. Please. Show off Alan Wake.

justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 justforlotr2004

Please Microsoft. Please. Show off Alan Wake.

bstarter29

I think if they don't show it this year the game is pretty much dead to me. I mean some type of gameplay has to be polished enough in the game to show off after all these year's. I just hope all the wait lead's to a good game.

Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Albanian_Killa
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
I'm watching on G4. Gotta save my bandwith :) If they have a commercial break in the middle of the presser, I'll have to pop into IGN or GameSpot. I'll see which site I choose :P