System Wars Lounge V47: The 60FPS 1080P Edition

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1901 Posted by Ballroompirate (23927 posts) -

@Allicrombie think I'm gonna play some WoW >.>

#1902 Posted by LadyBlue (4252 posts) -

Lauren Bacall passed away. A true Legend. :(

#1903 Posted by mems_1224 (49327 posts) -

So I started playing Guild Wars 2 again. Its pretty much the only MMO I've ever been interested in.

#1904 Posted by Technoweirdo (7368 posts) -
@TheGuardian03 said:

The Last who?

RIME

I'll be honest: Wasn't interested until I heard Akira Yamaoka was involved.
Speaking of, he damn better be in Silent Hills.

@ladyblue said:
I got mine.

And I my copy, but I should probably finish Trails in the Sky first. >.>

#1905 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22765 posts) -

Well you did it xenoblade, you broke me.

Fuck the bionis interior

#1906 Posted by Blabadon (29229 posts) -

Well you did it Dark Souls, you broke me.

Fuck the Moonlight Butterfly/Capra Demon/ the fact I am utter shit at this game

#1907 Posted by lostrib (44561 posts) -

Wow, apparently Robin Williams will become an NPC in World of Warcraft as he was an avid player: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/12/robin-williams-to-be-memorialized-in-wow

Also, I didn't realize that he was roommates with Christopher Reeve, and is credited with giving him the will to live after Reeve was paralyzed

#1908 Posted by MonsieurX (32191 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Wow, apparently Robin Williams will become an NPC in World of Warcraft as he was an avid player: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/12/robin-williams-to-be-memorialized-in-wow

Also, I didn't realize that he was roommates with Christopher Reeve, and is credited with giving him the will to live after Reeve was paralyzed

Considering he name his daughter after a video game character,I'm not surprised about him playing WoW

#1909 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6490 posts) -

@TheGuardian03 said:

The Last who?

RIME.

Looks beautiful like The Wind Waker. :)

#1910 Edited by illmatic87 (15730 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

So I started playing Guild Wars 2 again. Its pretty much the only MMO I've ever been interested in.

What server are you on? I'm on Maguuma #MagSwag. The server community has a really chill Mumble server.

But yeah. It's probably the most relevant MMO business wise. It's great that I can jump in anytime I want to, play something else, jump in a month later and feel like I am not behind on gear or rebuild due to the usual pendulum swing of balance changes that hit MMOs.

And I just cant go back to other MMO combat systems anymore.

#1911 Posted by mems_1224 (49327 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

@mems_1224 said:

What server are you on? I'm on Maguuma #MagSwag. The server community has a really chill Mumble server.

But yeah. It's probably the most relevant MMO business wise. It's great that I can jump in anytime I want to, play something else, jump in a month later and feel like I am not behind on gear or rebuild due to the usual pendulum swing of balance changes that hit MMOs.

Yea, I like the combat. I never put much time into it though. I think my highest level character is my human and he's 27. Im on the Borlis Pass server.

#1912 Posted by illmatic87 (15730 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@illmatic87 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Yea, I like the combat. I never put much time into it though. I think my highest level character is my human and he's 27. Im on the Borlis Pass server.

You can do most of the stuff with people on different servers since they did a change to the system a few months ago. But I mostly play WvW in the game. I actually dont like much of the PvE unless it involves exploration / map clearing.

My account is basedgod.7218

#1914 Edited by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@Desmonic: Both those systems' lineups suck.

It's amazing how bad the console gaming scene has gotten.

#1916 Edited by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

Geez, remember how awesome the WiiU was in it's first year? :D Yeah, no one does.

Takes time to get great games, chill bro >.>

Amazingly enough, I didn't say I cared for the Wii U's lineup either. In fact, I specifically said 'the console gaming scene is bad' which covers the Wii U as well simply because of the fact that the Wii U is, in fact, a console. Why bring it up? As far as the Wii U goes, at least it's finally getting some nice games in 2015 though (and this year's lineup isn't half bad either). Also, I want to point out, if we were to compare first year lineups of the Wii U with the Xbox One and PS4? Wii U would probably actually come out on the top. That's how bad these lineups are.

I understand the entire 'greatness awaits/good games take time' etc etc rationales, I do, and you know what, if I was a hostage to console gaming, I'd stay on board and support you in that argument. Sadly for console holders, there is a lot of competition for my time when it comes to games, more and more great games are increasingly available from a high number of avenues. When the handhelds are providing me with a steady stream of games I can play, and perhaps most importantly, the PC moves from strength to strength on a daily basis, I don't have the time to wait for any greatness that the Xbox One and PS4, and to a lesser extent, Wii U, might have to show me two years from now. Sorry breh. It doesn't take time to get great games, not for me. I already have them, so I'm gonna call out the new consoles on how bad their lineups look in 2014 and 2015.

#1917 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9819 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

Geez, remember how awesome the WiiU was in it's first year? :D Yeah, no one does.

Takes time to get great games, chill bro >.>

This launch doesn't seem much worse than other ones.

#1919 Posted by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@Desmonic: Edited my entire post lol, hit submit too early by mistake. >.>

Respond to the new one please :p

#1920 Edited by parkurtommo (28177 posts) -

Yeah, console gaming sucks right now. Only reason to own one (or more specifically: to have boughten it on launch) is to impress friends and stuff, or maybe you're (when I say you're I mean anyone) just an impatient fuckwit (very likely) (I use parenthesis a lot).

PC gaming is not very interesting either right now.

Gaming in general, not really looking good.

#1921 Edited by jg4xchamp (52002 posts) -

The PS4 only consumer in a first year has access to

-Ass Creed 4

-Fifa

-Trine 2

-Sound Shapes

-Flower

-Injustice: Gods Among Men

-Resogun

-Tomb Raider

-Don't Starve

-Rayman Legends

-Outlast

-Ground Zeroes

-Stealth Bastard

-Fez

-Trials Fusion

-Octodad

-Wolfenstein

-Transistor

-Valient Hearts

-Rogue Legacy

-OddWorld

-The Swapper

-Hotline Miami

Which is a respectable amount of quality games, easily crushing what the Vita, 3DS, WiiU have been offering, and by default giving more games to play than the Xbox One, regardless of the fact that they aren't exclusive.

"but you didn't need a next gen system for those games"...fair enough, but those horse power juggernauts are coming, and until then you got a bunch of quality games that are fundamentally good GAMES first, and not horse crap trying to tell me a story as if the shit sandwich I'm getting is avant-garde. The PS4 is at least building a roster of games, the heavy hitters will get there, and until then it's not suffering a drought like say irrelevant consoles like the WiiU.

To a PC gamer the consoles have been nothing spectacular, in fact they are why the fuck would I spend my money machines. But, for just console only players the PS4 is doing a respectable job.

#1922 Posted by parkurtommo (28177 posts) -

@illmatic87 said:

@mems_1224 said:

GW2 sucks. It's the best MMO out there, but it still sucks, because MMOs sucks. :p

Only reason I tried the beta was because of the AMAZING, MINDBLOWING concept art, had to see what the game looked like. It looked like every MMO ever but with slightly nicer shaders and geometry (so basically just visually current).

I don't understand why there can't be MMOs that do things well.

#1924 Edited by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

The PS4 only consumer in a first year has access to

-Ass Creed 4

-Fifa

-Trine 2

-Sound Shapes

-Flower

-Injustice: Gods Among Men

-Resogun

-Tomb Raider

-Don't Starve

-Rayman Legends

-Outlast

-Ground Zeroes

-Stealth Bastard

-Fez

-Trials Fusion

-Octodad

-Wolfenstein

-Transistor

-Valient Hearts

-Rogue Legacy

-OddWorld

-The Swapper

-Hotline Miami

Which is a respectable amount of quality games, easily crushing what the Vita, 3DS, WiiU have been offering, and by default giving more games to play than the Xbox One, regardless of the fact that they aren't exclusive.

"but you didn't need a next gen system for those games"...fair enough, but those horse power juggernauts are coming, and until then you got a bunch of quality games that are fundamentally good GAMES first, and not horse crap trying to tell me a story as if the shit sandwich I'm getting is avant-garde. The PS4 is at least building a roster of games, the heavy hitters will get there, and until then it's not suffering a drought like say irrelevant consoles like the WiiU.

To a PC gamer the consoles have been nothing spectacular, in fact they are why the fuck would I spend my money machines. But, for just console only players the PS4 is doing a respectable job.

The issue is, there is no such thing as a 'PS4 only consumer.' It's a safe assumption to believe that almost everybody who bought the PS4 so far (within the early adopter time frame) had either a PS3, an Xbox 360, or a gaming PC last gen, and amazingly enough, every single one of those games (sans Resogun) is available on one of those machines too. At that point, the PS4's lineup is consisted of all these games you can play on a variety of other avenues, most notably, PC. At that point, you have to stop and wonder: wait, what exactly did I spend $400 on this for?

#1926 Posted by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@Desmonic: Ehh, Wii U had a shit ton of multiplats and digital shit in its first year too. I don't know, maybe I'm retroactively viewing the system's first year in a better light because its library is in a better place now (and I might be), but regardless, at least as far as my time goes, the issue is that the PS4 and Xbox One are not competing with 2012 Wii U, they are competing with 2014 Wii U, and 2014 Wii U comes with a healthier library than either of them. Yes, I know, head start, yada yada yada, but that's not cause of the point, not the point itself, so functionally irrelevant.

#1927 Posted by jg4xchamp (52002 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

Yeah, console gaming sucks right now. Only reason to own one (or more specifically: to have boughten it on launch) is to impress friends and stuff, or maybe you're (when I say you're I mean anyone) just an impatient fuckwit (very likely) (I use parenthesis a lot).

Completely disagree. The PC continues to be a step ahead on the indie stuff as we're getting things like Aztez (which looks terrific) and the like first, the PC side is getting great kick starter projects that are delivering like Divinity and soon Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, the multiplats with the exception of Destiny (because you know, no PC version) are beasting on PC, the F2P market keeps coming up with quality stuff, the PC's mp heavy communities are being built on, as opposed to being dumped for a shiny sequel (Path of Exile expansions, Dota 2 and LoL support, Counter Strike GO updates).

The PC's era of block buster triple A whiz bang media whore games are over with the exception of a Blizzard game here or there, but otherwise the PC continues to still get the more creative, and definitely the deepest games with the likes of Xenonauts and stuff. Plus the PC actually has a Japanese indie scene with the likes of Astebreed and Gunhound doing well.

#1929 Edited by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic: Ehh, Wii U had a shit ton of multiplats and digital shit in its first year too. I don't know, maybe I'm retroactively viewing the system's first year in a better light because its library is in a better place now (and I might be), but regardless, at least as far as my time goes, the issue is that the PS4 and Xbox One are not competing with 2012 Wii U, they are competing with 2014 Wii U, and 2014 Wii U comes with a healthier library than either of them. Yes, I know, head start, yada yada yada, but that's not cause of the point, not the point itself, so functionally irrelevant.

Yeah, year old multiplats everyone had already played >.>

Also my only point was to Blab's lack of PS4 games :P

Oh look, just like the PS4 and Xbox One right now! If they count for those two, they should also count for the Wii U, no?

Fair enough, the PS4 doesn't lack any quantity, it just lacks in compelling quality. I am sure it will be a great system to buy into in 2017.

#1931 Posted by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Desmonic said:

Yeah, year old multiplats everyone had already played >.>

Also my only point was to Blab's lack of PS4 games :P

Oh look, just like the PS4 and Xbox One right now! If they count for those two, they should also count for the Wii U, no?

Fair enough, the PS4 doesn't lack any quantity, it just lacks in compelling quality. I am sure it will be a great system to buy into in 2017.

Small correction:

"Yeah, year old multiplats everyone had already played AND somehow looked/performed worse than their PS3/X360 counterparts >.>"

Just sayin' brah :P

Not always. The ones at launch were a mixed bunch, some performed worse than Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, some performed on par, some were better in some areas, and some were worse in some areas. The ones that came after launch were always better.

#1933 Posted by parkurtommo (28177 posts) -

Lol wow I was just trying to take a nap since I'm so tired today, but when I opened my eyes before falling asleep I think I experienced sleep paralysis. I could not move for about 10 seconds and it was terrifying D:

But apparently it's something that can happen and isn't anything harmful or a symptom.

#1934 Posted by parkurtommo (28177 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

@parkurtommo said:

Completely disagree. The PC continues to be a step ahead on the indie stuff as we're getting things like Aztez (which looks terrific) and the like first, the PC side is getting great kick starter projects that are delivering like Divinity and soon Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity, the multiplats with the exception of Destiny (because you know, no PC version) are beasting on PC, the F2P market keeps coming up with quality stuff, the PC's mp heavy communities are being built on, as opposed to being dumped for a shiny sequel (Path of Exile expansions, Dota 2 and LoL support, Counter Strike GO updates).

The PC's era of block buster triple A whiz bang media whore games are over with the exception of a Blizzard game here or there, but otherwise the PC continues to still get the more creative, and definitely the deepest games with the likes of Xenonauts and stuff. Plus the PC actually has a Japanese indie scene with the likes of Astebreed and Gunhound doing well.

Of course it's better by comparison, but I find myself getting bored far too often even though I have tons of games I could be playing. Probably just a paradox of choice. And, it's entirely my fault, for losing enthusiasm.

I'll never really "grow out" of video games but I certainly find myself kind of unexcited these days.

#1935 Posted by jg4xchamp (52002 posts) -

It means break time mate.

I feel like with games it's like anything else if you grind through a bunch of games for a good while after awhile you're tired of going through the motions. Need a good month away from playing Video Games, playing less stuff, and doing other things. come back, and boom video games are fun again. It's what works for me, because Video Games might as well not exist during Football season.

#1936 Posted by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@parkurtommo: Sleep paralysis. It happens if you lucid dream, but it can also occur without that (though the probability is much lower).

#1937 Posted by Blabadon (29229 posts) -

What did I indirectly start

#1938 Posted by parkurtommo (28177 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

It means break time mate.

I feel like with games it's like anything else if you grind through a bunch of games for a good while after awhile you're tired of going through the motions. Need a good month away from playing Video Games, playing less stuff, and doing other things. come back, and boom video games are fun again. It's what works for me, because Video Games might as well not exist during Football season.

Hmm, yes, that sounds like a good idea. :P

But I don't think a month is necessary. Maybe a week. I still get the urge to play certain games, like now I've been playing M&B Warband (excellent game) a lot. The issue is, I don't get excited for releases! For example, I really like the premise of Shadow of Mordor, and I honestly can't think of any other game that has caught my attention. Yet I'm not hyped at all, I could wait for several months for it to go on in price and it wouldn't matter. :P

There's just no excitement as far as new things go. Nothing is really "new" anymore.

#1939 Posted by jg4xchamp (52002 posts) -

Could always be the system wars factor. As in all the negativity and putting down of a game just sort of rubbing off.

#1940 Posted by parkurtommo (28177 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@parkurtommo: Sleep paralysis. It happens if you lucid dream, but it can also occur without that (though the probability is much lower).

Yep yep, I researched a bit and it seemed to be in line with sleep paralysis. I don't have lucid dreams most of the time. Then again I don't remember dreams much at all because I have a very irregular and unhealthy sleep pattern.

Also, before I had that lapse in control, I was experiencing hypnic jerks. Very interesting sensation, that. It's like getting shocked and then falling in to "the void".

#1941 Edited by illmatic87 (15730 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

I think PC gaming has been the most interesting it has been in awhile. Lots of big changes to controversial business models that has people talking and developers experimenting what to do with such model, Kickstarter games slowly pouring out with both successes and failures, the digital market is as competitive as ever, free to play games are starting to actually be consistently fair and fun to play with multiple avenues being approached. There's just an equal amount risk, scepticism, excitement and anticipation that's going on, despite the lack of keynotes that cover the platform.

Consoles will be fine. The first year is always slow.

Meanwhile, while I dont own a Vita. Handhelds have been doo-doo so far. I'm actually finding some more interesting Smartphone games out there, despite the poor discoverability of the Appstore and Google Play. My 3DS has been collecting mad dust and my apartment is like crisp clean

#1942 Edited by 93BlackHawk93 (6490 posts) -

Knowledge and growing up makes us experience cynicism, which makes us want to wear nostalgia googles again...

Harsh Truth.

#1943 Posted by Blabadon (29229 posts) -

How many people did I talk to about my gaming crisis yesterday, jeez, it's like you all know

#1944 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (26758 posts) -

Well I uninstalled some games that I didn't play a lot and freed up some space just so I could play Resident Evil 6.

Time to see if this really is a piece of garbage.

#1945 Posted by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

This link is distressing. Please don't open it if you don't want to go shaking with anger or sadness. But I wanted to share it to make one point: people are scum.

#1947 Posted by Blabadon (29229 posts) -

@Desmonic: Btw, no, I don't think the PS4 has games.

#1948 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6490 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

This link is distressing. Please don't open it if you don't want to go shaking with anger or sadness. But I wanted to share it to make one point: people are scum.

Feel like throwing a punch to the monitor right now.

Trolling my ass. This is some psychopath BS, and it isn't the first time I've seen this.

FUCK. HUMANS.

#1950 Posted by charizard1605 (63099 posts) -

@93BlackHawk93: Yes, I raged so hard, I was shaking.

Do you know what was in those links that they sent her?

Fucking hell, man. Psychopathic is right, these people should get themselves checked.