System Wars Lounge V46: E3 Mania Edition! 2.0

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1851 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25847 posts) -

Oh man, the Spoony One and Sean Fausz are not taking this review well (hell, one of them compared it too... you know who, which I thought was so funny, I retweeted it).

#1852 Posted by Technoweirdo (7037 posts) -
@Desmonic said:

1 - No, "we" aren't talking about anything. You are the one who brought that up out of the blue as if I was defending the game, when I made it pretty clear that I wasn't. You created an argument out of nothing. I limited myself to explaining to champ why I was laughing at her crappy article/opinion.

2 - Nazi analogies are funny now? Really? Also since when I'm an otaku? As you can read in my posts, I neither defended or attacked the use of "not-young-but-look-like-young" girls, just tried to explain it in the context of where it came from and how once more the author was blowing it way out of propertion to fit her agenda.

3 - Finally, what fucking argument? Seriously? This is the third time I'm saying that I'm NOT DEFENDING the game. Kinda hard to make an argument when I'm not actually making one...

4 - Games like the ones @ladyblue likes! Everything she likes is bad, mmkay? These are facts! >.>

1. BBK rants a bit about an 'article', Champ goes off on a tangent and talks about the game and how various elements like how young the women are portrayed and the inherent tackiness of stripping to kill vampires led up to this 'quality editorial', you go on to say it's just Japanese otaku stuff and that their arbitrary age is that of an adult's as if to defend it among other things. Notice when talking about the 'author' and her 'professionalism' stopped?

2. Nazi analogies have been funny since the Soup Nazi's inception, if not before. Also, I've never called you an otaku before. I did, however, call you (and just about all the Vita Bros) disgusting. ;)

3. See 1. You don't make statements without going somewhere with them.

4. I was asking about better games like what. Also, 'facts', not facts.

#1853 Posted by bbkkristian (14775 posts) -

In that article, an XSEED rep responded to the article. Go to his Facebook page for his full response. It's a better defense than mine.

Ugh GS stop lagging these replies!!! It's not showing my posts until a few minutes later!, >:(

#1854 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69152 posts) -
#1855 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

I don't think I denied that her argument was based on ignorance, as much as she qualifies her ignorance to you (she doesn't play games). Coming in completely raw there is no way she would respond to a game like that without going "that's tacky" in her admittedly more aggressive words.

The whole she needs to understand the game, to not be creeped out about the rest is silly. The rest of the creepy ass shit doesn't vanish, nor do I buy the notion that if you tell someone its satire, it'll make it less offensive. You can absolutely make shitty misogynist jokes (Duke Nukem exists). More to the point the argument that this is "commentary on Japanese culture" is so fucking ignorant that it is breath taking. yes Japan has body pillows and shitty animes like this, but even the adults there for a majority do think of that shit as tacky and disgusting. Americans who've only exposed themselves to this type of stuff are the ones that think this shit qualifies as "Japanese culture". It's not Japanese culture, it's anime culture, creepy anime/hentai territory culture to be more precise.

Now she would have had a point on critics glossing this shit over, if the two articles she linked were actually critical write ups, and not reports on what the game is, and when the game is coming out, and yada yada.

Expecting professionalism from a columnist, from a columnist that is a blog post, just because it's on the huffington post, more importantly, the Huffington post is pointless. I could understand if this was the New York Times or fuck I could have even understood if this was IGN who paint the idea of professionalism, but her shit is literally a "HAIL WOMEN" blog? What she does isn't journalism. Shit what Kevin Von Ord does isn't journalism.

We're on the same page bro. My problem is with the article and the obvious agenda behind it, not so much with the "attacking of the game", since I didn't even know much about it and based my own argument on people who were far more aware of what it was, than me.

Like I've said before, the notion that it was a satire of Japanese society wasn't clear to me, since I don't know enough to judge it by myself. The whole idea to me comes as "goofy" but I can understand it being sleazy and tacky for others ( I didn't even dispute that).

I think satire is supposed to be offensive, otherwise it doesn't really work. What is important to try to understand is whether it's being offensive "just because" or if it's trying to actually have a point. The latter is usually enjoyable when well done IMO. The former? Not so much.

I didn't expect *much* professionalism (I'd read a proper newspaper article for that), but at least researching the subject doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

---

In other "creepy" news, Brasil is already positioning itself for another butt...err.... "adventure" with the Netherlands >.>

#1856 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

1 - No, "we" aren't talking about anything. You are the one who brought that up out of the blue as if I was defending the game, when I made it pretty clear that I wasn't. You created an argument out of nothing. I limited myself to explaining to champ why I was laughing at her crappy article/opinion.

2 - Nazi analogies are funny now? Really? Also since when I'm an otaku? As you can read in my posts, I neither defended or attacked the use of "not-young-but-look-like-young" girls, just tried to explain it in the context of where it came from and how once more the author was blowing it way out of propertion to fit her agenda.

3 - Finally, what fucking argument? Seriously? This is the third time I'm saying that I'm NOT DEFENDING the game. Kinda hard to make an argument when I'm not actually making one...

4 - Games like the ones @ladyblue likes! Everything she likes is bad, mmkay? These are facts! >.>

1. BBK rants a bit about an 'article', Champ goes off on a tangent and talks about the game and how various elements like how young the women are portrayed and the inherent tackiness of stripping to kill vampires led up to this 'quality editorial', you go on to say it's just Japanese otaku stuff and that their arbitrary age is that of an adult's as if to defend it among other things. Notice when talking about the 'author' and her 'professionalism' stopped?

2. Nazi analogies have been funny since the Soup Nazi's inception, if not before. Also, I've never called you an otaku before. I did, however, call you (and just about all the Vita Bros) disgusting. ;)

3. See 1. You don't make statements without going somewhere with them.

4. I was asking about better games like what. Also, 'facts', not facts.

1- Allow me to quote my first answer to champ:

Issue being that according to the people who've played it's not solely focused on the "female body". As in, you need to strip and kill male NPC's too, and in equal quantities (least according to some comments I've seen regarding this). But I suppose stripping male bodies is cool according to society :P

Also according to them it's supposed to be a very obvious satire on Japanese society but given my knowledge of such subjects I couldn't really tell you. It might or might not be.

So being factually wrong (again, according to people who say they've played) and being a poor excuse for a blog post (even by the more relaxed opinion piece standards) kinda deserve to be mocked and ridiculed, be it about whatever subject :P

Where do I actually defend the game in that? The subsquent answere all were with the intention of trying to get that across (the reason why I was laughing at the article) in more detailed manner. If you got something else from that, well sorry. That was never my point.

2- Dat Vita Bro's jelly! And no, in the context of comparing a fetish to one of the worst regimes in recent history, it wasn't funny. Just saying >.>

3 - Read 1, I suppose.

4 - It's simple! Anything @ladyblue doesn't like = good. Anything she likes = bad. True story!

5- Notifications are dead!......again! :D

#1857 Edited by lostrib (31870 posts) -

Well finished Watch Dogs. It was a fun game, though the story could have been presented a bit better/more compellingly. Apparently it makes more sense if you find all the audio logs that detail the bellwether code and how it is used to manipulate the populace/Mayor. Because I looked up Rose Washington (who put everything in motion) and I don't remember much of what is contained in the wiki being conveyed in the main story

#1858 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25847 posts) -
#1859 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -
#1860 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

God damn... got Medal of Honor along a bunch of other games in a Humble Bundle with a bunch of other games and I still feel ripped off....

#1861 Posted by bbkkristian (14775 posts) -

So GS will put a counter on how long we have to delete our posts, but they won't move the flag button away from the the reply button.

Priorities.

#1862 Edited by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

So GS will put a counter on how long we have to delete our posts, but they won't move the flag button away from the the reply button.

Priorities.

Flagged for disruptive posting.

#1863 Edited by Shadowchronicle (25847 posts) -

A discussion about Japan and culture in system wars. This absolutely cannot be good.

I'm sure America would have stuff like that too if lawsuits aren't common around here.

#1864 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

A discussion about Japan and culture in system wars. This absolutely cannot be good.

I'm sure America would have stuff like that too if lawsuits aren't common around here.

What? Culture? :D

Jabbity jab! :P

#1865 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9450 posts) -

Priorities.

This Web site is managed by dipshits.

#1866 Posted by lundy86_4 (42687 posts) -

That World Cup game... Brazil clearly just gave up lol.

#1867 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

10 goals in 2 games! This last week was completely devastating not only for those players but the reputation of the team overall. They'll NEED to impress at the next serious tournament (Copa America).

#1868 Posted by Blabadon (25272 posts) -

Safe to say today was an extremely eventful day in Dark Souls 2 for ol' Blab.

#1869 Posted by Ballroompirate (21773 posts) -

Holy hell people need to have less birthdays (friends birthday), 3 long islands and 5 beers later I can't take it anymore

#1870 Edited by AznbkdX (3117 posts) -

Almost done with Super Paper Mario. I'm on 8-3, which is probably the semifinal stage.

My quick impressions: It's not that bad of a game. Much better than some of the impressions I've seen. The main issue definitely stems from the shift in genre which honestly is easily my biggest issue as well, but it's a damn fine platformer imo. Platforming mechanics might suck donkey nuts in comparison to a smooth platformer like every other Mario platformer out there but I actually like this one better than pretty much every 2D Mario platformer. Is it a fair thing to say? Depends on how you think of the PM series as a whole, but I feel this game is just as much a platformer as it is its own entity. It has...a more puzzle like nature to it akin to the Paper Mario series, and the set pieces are actually existent as well, so it's definitely not missing out on its trademark mechanics and gameplay. Overall it's no TTYD but it's definitely an interesting game.

Purists probably don't agree with my "better than most 2D Mario" assessment, but I guess I've never been a fan of 2D Mario. I'm more of a DK kind of guy. :P

#1871 Edited by ninjapirate2000 (2939 posts) -

I got Germantina winning it all today.

#1872 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (569 posts) -

I predict either germany or argentina will win a world cup

#1873 Edited by LadyBlue (3756 posts) -

I see @Desmonic(or should I say demonic?)is up to no good as usual.

#1874 Posted by lundy86_4 (42687 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@lundy86_4 said:

10 goals in 2 games! This last week was completely devastating not only for those players but the reputation of the team overall. They'll NEED to impress at the next serious tournament (Copa America).

It was a complete shitshow. The third goal in the 90th minute was absolutely lulz-worthy.

#1875 Posted by SYSTEM-REBOOT (569 posts) -
@ladyblue said:

whats up with font color?

#1876 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Nah, just calling it like it is :P

#1877 Edited by LadyBlue (3756 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

You actually believe what you're saying.

#1878 Edited by LadyBlue (3756 posts) -

Best show on tv.

spoilers

#1879 Edited by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

Hey, not my fault you have terrible taste >.>

#1880 Edited by LadyBlue (3756 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

I'm curious. How did you arrive at that flawed conclusion?

#1881 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

You dislike the one and true Master Race. That's how! :P

#VitaMasterRace

#1882 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@lundy86_4 said:

It was a complete shitshow. The third goal in the 90th minute was absolutely lulz-worthy.

Nah bro. The entire 2 matches were lulz-worthy. 180 minutes of comedy (or despair for the brazilians) :P

#1883 Posted by LadyBlue (3756 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

You dislike the one and true Master Race. That's how! :P

#VitaMasterRace

Theres no such thing as a vita master race. You vita groupies need to get used to it.

At least you can admit it doesn't have anything to do with my actual taste in games.

#1884 Posted by lostrib (31870 posts) -

Apparently you can get a PS4 for $306 at target right now with the appropriate coupons/discounts.

#1885 Edited by inb4uall (5152 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Apparently you can get a PS4 for $306 at target right now with the appropriate coupons/discounts.

When I bought my monitor at sams club they had an open box item PS4 "marked down" to $500.

Was like: wat.......

#1886 Edited by kitty (114335 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I would go for it. But I'm buying one with 6 games and 2 controllers for $350 :P
I know that it comes with battlefield, infamous, watchdogs, and NBA 2k14. I forget the other two games.

#1887 Posted by lundy86_4 (42687 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Not bad at all. Gonna be pre-ordering my Destiny White PS4 bundle next week.

#1888 Posted by inb4uall (5152 posts) -

So you have to turn on devices before going through airport security now? Looks like the days of bringing my Laptop, Tablet, 3DS, Vita and Phone are over. :(

#1889 Edited by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

Goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1890 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -
#1891 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (2939 posts) -

Germoney.

#1892 Posted by LadyBlue (3756 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue: Nah , it pretty much does :P

Sure.... hope you realize how little sense you make.

#1893 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

Germoney.

Riiiggghhhttt...

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

Sure, try and spin it away from your poor taste in gaming >.>

#1894 Posted by illmatic87 (14983 posts) -

Most of the lengthy posts in that texasgoldrush Bethesda can be shut down by: "Why do you care?"

lol

#1895 Posted by parkurtommo (25505 posts) -

Yay Germany...

Was a boring and messy match tbh.

#1896 Posted by inb4uall (5152 posts) -

Most of the lengthy posts in that texasgoldrush Bethesda can be shut down by: "Why do you care?"

lol

Because people like Bethesda more than Bioware from his perspective. And we all know Texas worships bioware like they are divine.

#1897 Posted by melonfarmerz (1012 posts) -

Yay Germany...

Was a boring and messy match tbh.

Fuck. I'm so depressed right now :'(

#1898 Edited by LadyBlue (3756 posts) -

@Desmonic said:
@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

You have a real shitty demeanor. Go ahead & enjoy that train wreck then.

#1899 Posted by Desmonic (12809 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:
@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

You have a real shitty demeanor. Go ahead & enjoy that train wreck then.

Now, now. Don't let that jelly overcome you :P

#1900 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3816 posts) -

over the weekend i watched a couple of films, 'the campaign', and 'due date'. both comedies, both were pretty funny. imdb voters rank due date lower, but i found 'the campaign' much funnier overall, with due date having some parts which were funnier, but less funny overall.

only the campaign gets an official recommendation from cka.