System Wars Favorite Genres

Edited 3 months, 22 days ago

Poll: System Wars Favorite Genres (59 votes)

Shooter 14%
RPG 39%
Simulation Games 3%
Action-Adventure 14%
Puzzle 0%
Platformer 10%
Racing Games 0%
Fighting Games 5%
Multi-Genre (For games that do not fall under these categories or implement multiple genres) 15%

To make the genres more broad I am making them more general, for example instead of listing First Person Shooter, 3rd Person Shooter or Rail Shooter, I'll just list "Shooter".

Same goes for RPG, instead of listing Action-RPG, MMO RPG etc. I'll just list "RPG".

I'm just trying to fit all the core genres into one poll to see what people prefer. I will say again that this is "favorites" so to spew hate at someone because of their tastes than I give all users the right to flame the people bringing that said hate.

As for me I have many genres that interest me. To pick a favorite, almost depends on the mood I am in. But currently, the genre I consider an art would have to be shooter. Now I know there are PLENTY of generic games that fall under this genre but there are def great experiences to be had. More specifically I really enjoy Survival-Horror 3rd Person shooters like Resident Evil.

I know I will probably miss out on 1 or 2 main genres but don't hate me for it I'm just making a poll lol.

Again just people's preferences.

#1 Posted by lostrib (37619 posts) -

FPS

#2 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

weeboo dating sims/JRPGS

#3 Posted by mems_1224 (47252 posts) -

shooters. specifically military shooters.

#4 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5577 posts) -

TPS, Platformer, Action Adventure, Racing. I like some others too but those are my absolute favorites.

#5 Edited by clyde46 (46585 posts) -

No RTS?

#6 Posted by mariokart97 (837 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

No RTS?

Said I would forget some. Sorry about that I actually really enjoy RTS too

#7 Edited by MonsieurX (30425 posts) -

RPG

#8 Posted by parkurtommo (27226 posts) -

Action Adventure would probably be my best bet. But I don't judge games by arbitrary genres.

A very large part of the games I like a lot are Action Adventure titles. But then there are indies, gritty shooters, strategy games, open world games, that step all over them.

#9 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (585 posts) -

FPS and TPS.

#10 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3611 posts) -

Hard to choose between shooter, action/adventure, and platformer.

#11 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17215 posts) -
  • Platformers
  • Beat 'em ups
  • Run 'n gun
  • Shmups
  • Action/Adventure
  • FPS/TPS
  • Arcade racing
  • Star fighter sims
#12 Posted by 2_Quiet_2_Riot (717 posts) -
@Renegade_Fury said:
  • Platformers
  • Beat 'em ups
  • Run 'n gun
  • Shmups
  • Action/Adventure
  • FPS/TPS
  • Arcade racing
  • Star fighter sims

Holy crap! Are You my lost Twin? lol

That's pretty much what I enjoy! Save for Run n Gun, I'm not familiar with that. Are Rambo III (genesis), Contra III Alien Wars (snes) examples of that genre?

#13 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3800 posts) -

I would have answered... however, I like every genre...

You forgot sports in that list too.... so add that, and make it so I can check more than one box... then I will check every box. You have your tasks... now make it so... lol

#14 Posted by Pffrbt (6564 posts) -

Character action games.

#15 Posted by blackace (20886 posts) -

More Action/Adv, RPG's and Sports.

#16 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17215 posts) -

@2_Quiet_2_Riot said:
@Renegade_Fury said:
  • Platformers
  • Beat 'em ups
  • Run 'n gun
  • Shmups
  • Action/Adventure
  • FPS/TPS
  • Arcade racing
  • Star fighter sims

Holy crap! Are You my lost Twin? lol

That's pretty much what I enjoy! Save for Run n Gun, I'm not familiar with that. Are Rambo III (genesis), Contra III Alien Wars (snes) examples of that genre?

lol, but yeah, Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug, and so on, are run 'n gun.

#17 Edited by Chutebox (37356 posts) -

Old school, turn based rpg. Ya, I've been sad

#18 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11916 posts) -

Japanese Dating Sims.

#19 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8149 posts) -

Not RPG's or stealth games, that's for sure.

#20 Posted by MBirdy88 (8318 posts) -
  • MMORPG (How is this not on the list?)
  • MOBA (again.... how?)
  • Simulation
  • RPG
  • FPS
  • 4X Strategy games (Civ ect)
#21 Posted by happyduds77 (1478 posts) -

This is a tough one. I love TPSs and FPSs equally and I really like RPGs too. There has yet be an RPG with a good tps and fps mechanics but that would be my favorite genre.

#22 Posted by commonfate (12460 posts) -

RPG, MOBA, action/adventure (yes I know that's an ultra broad category, w/e), fighters and after ignoring it for years I've lately been loving all sorts of strategy games.

#23 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5634 posts) -

Eroges.

#24 Posted by jg4xchamp (48347 posts) -

Beat 'em ups

#25 Posted by mariokart97 (837 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:
  • MMORPG (How is this not on the list?)
  • MOBA (again.... how?)
  • Simulation
  • RPG
  • FPS
  • 4X Strategy games (Civ ect)

Read what I said, they're very general genre categories. Is MMORPG considered an RPG? Because I listed it, and warned that that would be how the poll worked.

The whole reason was to just see what a small group of people chose and what they said about em. Shooter have a lot of popularity for example.

#26 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3648 posts) -

RPGs . However , I play the game from every genre as long as the game itself is fun . Where is RTS BTW . ? It is pretty famous genre .

#27 Posted by PsychoLemons (2111 posts) -

Movies

#28 Posted by Ballroompirate (23030 posts) -

MMO's, FPS, RPG's, RTS and TPS

It's hard to choose just one :P

#29 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (8149 posts) -

@PsychoLemons said:

Movies

So you're a cow then?

#30 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -

being somewhat of a sheep, platformers always manage to capture my attention

#31 Edited by bussinrounds (2198 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

Old school, turn based rpg. Ya, I've been sad

Shiiit..at least we're finally getting some games now. They had half of our fanbase resorting to fucking anime it got so bad !

#32 Posted by heguain (668 posts) -

RPGs

#33 Edited by Gamerno6666 (1536 posts) -

Multi genre master race.

#34 Edited by uninspiredcup (8936 posts) -

As a mature gamer who primarily plays pc games designed for adult minds, strategy titles are appealing due to the substance they contain console games lack.

Sadly, due to the moderation of games, I cannot, in good faith, declare RPG's, due the dumbing down. 1999 is a bygone era. These are dark times.

#35 Posted by DocSanchez (1642 posts) -

RPGs for me followed by action adventure, especially hybrids of the two.

#36 Posted by GamingElite021 (80 posts) -

@lostrib said:

FPS

#37 Posted by intotheminx (703 posts) -

I may have an unhealthy obsession with fighting games, but I'm trying to break away from that lmao. So, I chose rpg.

#38 Edited by harry_james_pot (10925 posts) -

You're missing Adventure and Strategy..

#39 Edited by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

@mariokart97 said:

@clyde46 said:

No RTS?

Said I would forget some. Sorry about that I actually really enjoy RTS too

Not just RTS but the strategy genre in general,it´s one of the biggest and most popular genres in gaming with games like League of Legends(the most played game in the world) Dota,Starcraft,The Sims,Warhammer,Total War,Civilization...it´s a huge oversight.

Also no adventure game? One of the oldest and classice genres of gaming?

Sometimes it´s better not to make a thread about something if it´s gonna end up with huge omissions like these,do it right or don´t do it at all,in the past where you could only use 5 poll slots that would be excusable but now that there´s no limit for the poll options it just isn´t.

#40 Edited by Pikminmaniac (9048 posts) -

Platformers. It's 100% platformers. I don't think there is another genre out there that puts the player in such a close conversation with the game designers. It's that direct interaction with the creators' craft that pushes this genre above all others for me.

I used to be really big into RPGs when I was younger but have since grown away from them. I prefer my personal skill to matter more than the stats or build of the character.

#41 Posted by kuu2 (7367 posts) -

Adventure all day!

#42 Posted by TheEroica (13696 posts) -

Traditionally it's been wrpgs for me, but lately it's been 2d action platformers.

#43 Edited by Zassimick (6639 posts) -

Action-Adventure is probably my top as it is such a broad category. On one hand I have Uncharted (which you could place as a TPS or Shooter I suppose) and then you have Batman: Arkham, The Legend of Zelda, etc. Definitely my favorite.

RPGs are probably up there as well.

#44 Posted by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

RPG

#45 Posted by Suppaman100 (3937 posts) -

Everything.

#46 Posted by brimmul777 (1243 posts) -

@gamingelite021 said:

@lostrib said:

FPS