SYSTEM WARS DECIDES: What is the greatest RPG of this generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (61634 posts) -

This generation has been incredibly kind to the RPG genre. Even as we saw the decline of JRPGs on home consoles, WRPGs really came into their own, and entered mainstream popularity. JRPGs, meanwhile, found a new home on handhelds, whereas MMOs finally found a future beyond just World of Warcraft.

There were so many standout achievements this generation- from Betehsda's incredible The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, to Bioware's ode to its heritage with Dragon Age: Origins. From The World Ends With You, a standout JRPG that broke free from series conventions to Guild Wars 2, an MMO that finally moved out of World of Warcraft's shadow. This genre prospered, this genre thrived... and now, with the end of this generation upon us, it's time to look back and select the best RPGs this generation brought us.

There was a massive vote, a preliminary round to shortlist the cream of the crop.

Over fifty games charted, in a masssive thread over 600 posts, but five RPGs prevailed over everything else These five RPGs charted at the very top, and were the only ones that managed to breach the 1000 points barrier in the voting.

To check out what games made it into the final round, and what the methodology to choose them was, check out the original thread.

But now that's all behind us... now it's time to choose the one best RPG of them all. Voting will be open for a period of ten days, until November 20, 2012, midnight CT. Vote for your favorite RPG, and try to defend your choice.

Oh, and just in cae you were curious, here is how the top five stood at the end of the last round:

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings: 1800 points
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 1370 points
Demon's Souls: 1295 points
Xenoblade Chronicles: 1200 points

Dark Souls: 1030 points

Vote fellows!

#2 Posted by khoofia_pika (13517 posts) -
SW is a bunch of MOFOs, not getting Mass Effect 2 in the top 5 :evil: I voted for Skyrim, because it's the best out of those 5. I guess TW2 is a close second, but I can't vote for two games.Shocking, I know.
#3 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

Not Xenoblade or Demon's Souls. I have yet to play The Witcher 2 or Dark Souls, but have put in about 50 hours in Skyrim.

For now Skyrim, but I will wait to vote just in case I somehow get to play Dark Souls or TW2 soon :P. If I had to guess I would say TW2 of those 5. SHould I just play it and skip 1? At this rate I don't think I will ever play it if I don't.

#4 Posted by dvalo9 (1284 posts) -
The witcher 2 will be the game i remember most fondly when i look back on this gen.
#5 Posted by freedomfreak (43533 posts) -
The Witcher 2.
#6 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

None of those, Fallout: New Vegas is the best.

#7 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

Edit: nevermind...sorry

#8 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

This generation has been incredibly kind to the RPG genre. Even as we saw the decline of JRPGs on home consoles, WRPGs really came into their own, and entered mainstream popularity. JRPGs, meanwhile, found a new home on handhelds, whereas MMOs finally found a future beyond just World of Warcraft.

There were so many standout achievements this generation- from Betehsda's incredible The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, to Bioware's ode to its heritage with Dragon Age: Origins. From The World Ends With You, a standout JRPG that broke free from series conventions to Guild Wars 2, an MMO that finally moved out of World of Warcraft's shadow. This genre prospered, this genre thrived... and now, with the end of this generation upon us, it's time to look back and select the best RPGs this generation brought us.

There was a massive vote, a preliminary round to shortlist the cream of the crop.

Over fifty games charted, in a masssive thread over 600 posts, but five RPGs prevailed over everything else These five RPGs charted at the very top, and were the only ones that managed to breach the 1000 points barrier in the voting.

To check out what games made it into the final round, and what the methodology to choose them was, check out the original thread.

But now that's all behind us... now it's time to choose the one best RPG of them all. Voting will be open for a period of ten days, until November 20, 2012, midnight CT. Vote for your favorite RPG, and try to defend your choice.

Oh, and just in cae you were curious, here is how the top five stood at the end of the last round:

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings: 1800 points
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 1370 points
Demon's Souls: 1295 points
Xenoblade Chronicles: 1200 points

Dark Souls: 1030 points

Vote fellows!

charizard1605

I'll wait to see whether Demon's or Dark Souls gets the most votes, and then choose accordingly. One of them needs to win.

#9 Posted by GamingVengeance (1874 posts) -
witcher 2
#10 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Tales of Graces f.

No contest.

#11 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

NOT SKYRIM BECOZ IT SUX.

WITCHER TEW IS DEEP AMD HAS STORY HURRR

#12 Posted by Ballroompirate (23743 posts) -

Hands down Skyrim

#13 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

The Witcher 2

I would say Dark Souls, but I really do not even consider it an RPG as much as a dungeon crawler.

I'm guessing Skyrim will win if only because it is the most mainstream and accessible. Most posters here have played Skyrim while missing out on most, if not all of other games on the list.

#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (44335 posts) -

I have to go with Xenoblade, even though I thought there were better RPG options, such as TW2. Solely for the fact that it harkened back to older RPG's whilst refreshing that old JRPG feel. I still have to finish it, but I loved it.

#15 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -
Demons or Dark Souls. I'll go for Dark since it's fresher in my brain. Defending my choice; the grim bleakness of the world, strong combat, what story there is is told without shoving boring ass cut scenes/NPC dialogue down your throat, we're simply left to explore and get murdered a whole bunch of ways.
#16 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

Dark Souls people. Dark Souls.

#17 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Glad to see Xenoblade got some love. I vote Dark Souls, but all of top 5 are great picks.
#18 Posted by lundy86_4 (44335 posts) -

Glad to see Xenoblade got some love. I vote Dark Souls, but all of top 5 are great picks.tagyhag

FYI, you find some awesome sigs.

#19 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
I don't think I actually played a role-playing game this gen.
#20 Posted by Slow_Show (2018 posts) -

Heh, SW would vote TW2 over the ME titles.

Guess I'll go with Xenoblade Chronicles because yay for underdogs.

#21 Posted by Kuromino (1400 posts) -

Xenoblade Chronicles was my original pick, so that will be my choice again. I actually haven't played any of the other games on that list yet, so I'm not really in a position to pick the best RPG. Xenoblade Chronicles probably won't be winning anyway. Nice to see that it made it in the top five though.

#22 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

*No Mass Effect game in the poll*

6893%20-%20anger_management%20animated_g

#23 Posted by charizard1605 (61634 posts) -

Slow_Show
Mass Effect's biggest problem was that the votes were split between all three games.
#24 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2279 posts) -
It was hard choosing between Demons and Dark Souls but I chose Dark.
#25 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]Glad to see Xenoblade got some love. I vote Dark Souls, but all of top 5 are great picks.lundy86_4

FYI, you find some awesome sigs.

I thank the GAF. :D
#26 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="Slow_Show"]

charizard1605

Mass Effect's biggest problem was that the votes were split between all three games.

More truth has not been said.

#27 Posted by RulerofGondor (401 posts) -
Demon's Souls is the greatest RPG of this generation.
#28 Posted by Slow_Show (2018 posts) -

Mass Effect's biggest problem was that the votes were split between all three games.charizard1605

Certainly didn't help, but TW1+TW2 still pulled in almost 600 more points than the combined ME series, which is an oddly large (if understandable, given how gamers have been this gen) gulf between two very similar series.

#29 Posted by RulerofGondor (401 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Mass Effect's biggest problem was that the votes were split between all three games.Slow_Show

Certainly didn't help, but TW1+TW2 still pulled in almost 600 more points than the combined ME series, which is an oddly large (if understandable, given how gamers have been this gen) gulf between two very similar series.

Well, The Witcher games are definitively better than any individual Mass Effect game. Mass Effect as a whole is probably better than any other series this generation, though.
#30 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11994 posts) -

Skyrim

744.gif

#31 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Out of those I pick TW2. Dark Souls is a damn close second but TW2 felt more like an RPG with my choices and character progression and the characters I met.

#32 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17466 posts) -

I would pick The Witcher 2, but the story and combat were really lacking in it. I think The Witcher 1 was more successful.

#33 Posted by Zurrur (1701 posts) -

Western devs can't make good RPGs

Skyrim is horrible unfinished crap and Witcher 2 is just average, managed to play it for 5 hours before getting completely bored and giving up

#34 Posted by percuvius2 (1982 posts) -

1. Dark Souls

2. Fallout 3

#35 Posted by RulerofGondor (401 posts) -

Skyrim is horrible unfinished crap and Witcher 2 is just average, managed to play it for 5 hours before getting completely bored and giving up

Zurrur
So your taste is as poor as your syntax?
#36 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Zurrur

Hey good for you man. Really glad to hear that. Tell it again would you?

[spoiler] not really, I don't give a sh!t [/spoiler]

#37 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

*No Mass Effect game in the poll*

6893%20-%20anger_management%20animated_g

Master_ShakeXXX

lmao, love that movie, scene, and jack :P

#38 Posted by finalstar2007 (25992 posts) -

Isnt Mass Effect considered as an RPG? i'll go for Mass Effect

#39 Posted by bbkkristian (14967 posts) -
Any answer other than Xenoblade Chronicles is wrong. :) Love you guys.
#40 Posted by charizard1605 (61634 posts) -

finalstar2007
Yes, but Mass Effect didn't get enough points to qualify for the finals.
#41 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

charizard1605

Some people don't get this thread, you guys had your opportunity to vote before, this thread is about the finalists, if your favourite RPG didn't make it then it's a shame. So pick one out of these choices even if it isn't one you like. It's not that hard.

#42 Posted by whiskeystrike (12096 posts) -

Tales of Graces f.

No contest.

GeoffZak

Tales of Vesperia...

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (61634 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

seanmcloughlin

Some people don't get this thread, you guys had your opportunity to vote before, this thread is about the finalists, if your favourite RPG didn't make it then it's a shame. So pick one out of these choices even if it isn't one you like. It's not that hard.

Yeah, after how long the original thread was active for, you'd think they'd know :P But they'll get there eventually.
#44 Posted by khoofia_pika (13517 posts) -
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

charizard1605

SW sucks :evil:

#45 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -

I would pick The Witcher 2, but the story and combat were really lacking in it. I think The Witcher 1 was more successful.

JangoWuzHere

So you bash The Witcher 2 for having lacking combat, and then you go on to state that The Witcher 1 was more successful... How is rhythmic clicking more satisfying than actual combat?

#46 Posted by pelvist (5246 posts) -

The Witcher 2, without a shadow of a doubt. One of, if not the best game I have played this gen. Cant wait for the next instalment.

#47 Posted by Twin-Blade (6795 posts) -

NIER.

#48 Posted by Nanomage (2335 posts) -

NIER.

Twin-Blade
It´s just out of those in the poll.
#49 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

I prefered The Witcher 1 over 2. Though Skyrim beats both

#50 Posted by FrozenLiquid (12828 posts) -

NOT SKYRIM BECOZ IT SUX.

WITCHER TEW IS DEEP AMD HAS STORY HURRR

OB-47