System Shock 2 V/S Bioshock

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for jaisimar_chelse
jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jaisimar_chelse
Member since 2007 • 1931 Posts

what do u guys think is better. Both made from same developers i.e. irrational umm i mean 2k boston. Bioshock considered as a spiritual succesor to SS2. but i consider this to be bullcrap.bioshock is half the game SS2 was. I am not saying bioshock was bad ( hell it was the 3rd best game last year IMO), i mean everything in SS2 was better. Shodan completely blows aways the big daddies and little sisters. the RPG elements in bioshock are a joke compared to what SS2 offered, i mean u had to think twice to shoot a weapon(ppl who played it know what i mean ).

So what are your opinions on this.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Stonin
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts

what do u guys think is better. Both made from same developers i.e. irrational umm i mean 2k boston. Bioshock considered as a spiritual succesor to SS2. but i consider this to be bullcrap.bioshock is half the game SS2 was. I am not saying bioshock was bad ( hell it was the 3rd best game last year IMO), i mean everything in SS2 was better. Shodan completely blows aways the big daddies and little sisters. the RPG elements in bioshock are a joke compared to what SS2 offered, i mean u had to think twice to shoot a weapon(ppl who played it know what i mean ).

jaisimar_chelse

Yeah SS2 was better but like all good PC franchises they had to dumb Bioshock down for the masses on console *sigh*.

jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jaisimar_chelse
[QUOTE="jaisimar_chelse"]

Stonin

Yeah SS2 was better but like all good PC franchises they had to dumb Bioshock down for the masses on console *sigh*.

i still have a glimmer of hhope that they make SS3

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JiveT
Member since 2005 • 8619 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=88881

This article completely destroys hermits weaksauce arguments against Bioshock in comparison to SS2.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

SS2 was a lot deeper of a game than Bioshock...it actually had RPG elements in it for starters (Bioshock claims to have them, but they are very basic), The atmosphere was better (for its time)

But the story is Bioshock is better, Ill give it that.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts
SS2 was a lot better, quite scary also and had more depth. Same old story, games have to appeal to 10 year olds to sell on console, gamers suffer for this.
pc478

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 pc478
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts
Good new -- there will be SS3, bad new ---- it's made by EA ...
Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stonin

This article completely destroys hermits weaksauce arguments against Bioshock in comparison to SS2.

JiveT

No it doesn't, it basically says 'yeah well not much different from SS2 except it's easier and 'more accessable'. What he fails to realise is that the entire ambiance of SS2 came from it's difficulty. You had to approach every single situation bearing in mind what you had in your backpack and how far you were going to need to stretch it. You could save whenever but if you save without ammo there is no coming back.

Bioshock does away with ANY death penalty at all and lost all atmosphere for me because of it. I didn't need to creep anywhere, just run in and kill em, if you don't then hey ho just walk back from the vitachamber and they'll even keep there damage for you *sigh*.

You clearly haven't played SS2 and i'm not sure the author of that article has either.

jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jaisimar_chelse

JiveT

oh wow an article by someone i dont give a damn about.

i can bring u 10 more articles saying that bioshock is dumbed down.

weaksauce isnt that some dish

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Stonin

Good new -- there will be SS3, bad new ---- it's made by EA ...pc478

Yup, and watch Bethesda ruin Fallout 3 in much the same way as it dumbs it down once again.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JiveT
[QUOTE="JiveT"]

Stonin

No it doesn't, it basically says 'yeah well not much different from SS2 except it's easier and 'more accessable'. What he fails to realise is that the entire ambiance of SS2 came from it's difficulty. You had to approach every single situation bearing in mind what you had in your backpack and how far you were going to need to stretch it. You could save whenever but if you save without ammo there is no coming back.

Bioshock does away with ANY death penalty at all and lost all atmosphere for me because of it. I didn't need to creep anywhere, just run in and kill em, if you don't then hey ho just walk back from the vitachamber and they'll even keep there damage for you *sigh*.

You clearly haven't played SS2 and i'm not sure the author of that article has either.

Wrong. I have played SS2 and you CLEARLY did not read the article.

jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaisimar_chelse
[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="JiveT"]

JiveT

okay tell me was the vitachamber part necessary in the game. doesnt it take out all the scariness and edginess of the game.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stonin
[QUOTE="JiveT"]

jaisimar_chelse

oh wow an article by someone i dont give a damn about.

i can bring u 10 more articles saying that bioshock is dumbed down.

weaksauce isnt that some dish

lol this quote from it shows just how little he knows:

There's also the added bonus of increased verisimilitude due to things like weapons degradation and the requirement for a player to have a certain level of a skill before they can use certain weapons being cut. These are elements of Shock 2 which, frankly, most people thought were a bit rubbish.

Yeah, I mean who likes having to level up a character or learn how to use items. What we all want is it dropped on a plate so there is no thought, no different character builds (you HAD to go one of 3 ways and you HAD to deal with situations very differently because of your choice) and very little replay value.

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Stonin
[QUOTE="Stonin"][QUOTE="JiveT"]

JiveT

Really? I'm quoting from it. How about you tell me the twist in SS2?

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JiveT

The fact is that System Shock 2 was no more difficult than Bioshock and instead of the crutch of vita chambers you had the crutch of saving wherever you wanted which if anything is even more easy than a vita chamber. You don't even have to trek back from where you started.

Beat Bioshock on hard with one life for that one achievement. It's not easy.

Hermits have a sad tendency to think making things more complex automatically= better. Weapons breaking and having to reach some arbitrary "level" to use something might be great for you but others may find it unnecessary like OH SAY the guy who developed both games Ken Levine. :|

And you must have sucked at SS2 or not been much at exploring to think you were seriously hampered by the choices you made at the beginning of the game because you can be quite a good hacker due to the minigame nature of it without having "high skill" and you can develop other things through the upgrade modules.

Bioshock gives you more than enough powers to experiment with in multiple playthroughs and has two distinct endings.

As for the twist in SS2 it's a lot like the twist in Bioshock but I don't want to spoil anything.

jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jaisimar_chelse

The fact is that System Shock 2 was no more difficult than Bioshock and instead of the crutch of vita chambers you had the crutch of saving wherever you wanted which if anything is even more easy than an a vita chamber. You don't even have to trek back from where you started.

Hermits have a sad tendency to think making things more complex automatically= better. Weapons breaking and having to reach some arbitrary "level" to use something might be great for you but others may find it unnecessary like OH SAY the guy who developed both games Ken Levine. :|

And you must have sucked at SS2 or not been much at exploring to think you were seriously hampered by the choices you made at the beginning of the game because you can be quite a good hacker due to the minigame nature of it without having "high skill" and you can develop other things through the upgrade modules.

Bioshock gives you more than enough powers to experiment with in multiple playthroughs and has two distinct endings.

As for the twist in SS2 it's a lot like the twist in Bioshock but I don't want to spoil anything.

JiveT

the fact is i dont give a damn about achievements , even without them medic kits are easily available from vending machines.

and that 2 endings part , OMG u know what the developer didnt even want the 2 endings, it was only after some 'higher' personality in 2k told them to put to endings to cater to the RPG gimmick

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#17 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

JiveT

I'm sorry, but this article is the only thing that is weak sauce. Bioshock has about 2 things on SS, graphics, and no gun degredation... which SS2 patched away anyway leaving bioshock with 1 thing. Everything else is either worse, or only as good (and mostly the former not the later).

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Stonin

The fact is that System Shock 2 was no more difficult than Bioshock and instead of the crutch of vita chambers you had the crutch of saving wherever you wanted which if anything is even more easy than an a vita chamber. You don't even have to trek back from where you started.

JiveT

You were seriously hampered. Hacking was a problem that needed addressing but as a PSi trained character you would not be using high level weapons. To think otherwise shows you didn't explore it much.

I know the guy that made the game changed it but you know why? For sales my friend, sales. Console gamers do not like hard games, period. Bioshock was a really good game but apart from the graphics it was like taking a step back from it's predecessor.

You are wrong about the saving thing though as it was a choice you had to make and a wrong decision could screw you. In Bioshock you can never get it wrong, there are never any consequences for dying, not even a long walk. What Bioshock did right is give you tools to approach different situations in a different manner...although the outcome is always the same. What it did wrong was take away the customisation and death penalties leaving it a shallow and very easily completed adventure.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

JiveT

No it doesn't. It doesn't even cover SS2 except in the beginning, where the article CONCEDES that BioShock is just SS2.5.

EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

System Shock 2 was one of the best games ever. Very few games have got me more emotionally involved than System Shock 2. I loved that game and it by far the scariest game I've ever played. I cannot say enough good things about it. It had everything in it to make a good game. Graphics (for its time), gameplay, story, interesting characters, awesome game.

JiveT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JiveT
[QUOTE="JiveT"]

DerekLoffin

I'm sorry, but this article is the only thing that is weak sauce. Bioshock has about 2 things on SS, graphics, and no gun degredation... which SS2 patched away anyway leaving bioshock with 1 thing. Everything else is either worse, or only as good (and mostly the former not the later).

"The first one's true. BioShock is both a more accessible and easier game than System Shock 2. But "easier" doesn't have anything to with it being "dumber", and hating "more accessible" is just petty elitismfrom people who'd actually like videogames to be a ghetto consisting of them - especially when some of the things to make the game more accessible can be turned off. As long as point two's not true, then the former really doesn't matter."

I guess that line really must have hit you hard. ;)

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#22 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="JiveT"]

JiveT

"The first one's true. BioShock is both a more accessible and easier game than System Shock 2. But "easier" doesn't have anything to with it being "dumber", and hating "more accessible" is just petty elitismfrom people who'd actually like videogames to be a ghetto consisting of them - especially when some of the things to make the game more accessible can be turned off. As long as point two's not true, then the former really doesn't matter."

Nope, all it did is prove he is one of those types that doesn't like it when others don't worship the game he likes. Nothing he said in any way helped his case.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I played SS2 last month and i'm playing bioshock now. SS2 is more complex and deeper. but it hasn't aged well. bioshock is more fun to me right now. if SS2 was upgraded to look as good as bioshock then yes i'd like it more. right now though i'd prefer playing bioshock.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

The fact is that System Shock 2 was no more difficult than Bioshock and instead of the crutch of vita chambers you had the crutch of saving wherever you wanted which if anything is even more easy than a vita chamber. You don't even have to trek back from where you started.

JiveT

Uh what? you can save anywhere on Bioshock, making that achievement easy ...

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

i haven't played SS2 yet .. when i've got time i will

i'm reading that it's a lot deeper than bioshock .. i don't know if that will mean i'll like it more or less though

e.g. i preferred bioshock to deus ex because it's more accessible to me

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
SS2 by far, I don't see any point in favour of BS. While the graphics were better in BS the atmosphere in SS2 was so much scarier that you get immersed in much more in SS2
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ontain

Uh what? you can save anywhere on Bioshock, making that achievement easy ...

Meu2k7

probably a console player

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ontain

SS2 by far, I don't see any point in favour of BS. While the graphics were better in BS the atmosphere in SS2 was so much scarier that you get immersed in much more in SS2naval

I disagree. I played SS2 only a month ago and while it was better atmosphere than i expected from a 3d game it's age it doesn't hold up today. i was not as immersed as i was in BS.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 naval

[QUOTE="naval"]SS2 by far, I don't see any point in favour of BS. While the graphics were better in BS the atmosphere in SS2 was so much scarier that you get immersed in much more in SS2Ontain

I disagree. I played SS2 only a month ago and while it was better atmosphere than i expected from a 3d game it's age it doesn't hold up today. i was not as immersed as i was in BS.

well to me pretty graphics in BS do look cool for few seconds after that it all seemed just okay. In SS2 the effect was continous

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 naval

I played SS2 last month and i'm playing bioshock now. SS2 is more complex and deeper. but it hasn't aged well. bioshock is more fun to me right now. if SS2 was upgraded to look as good as bioshock then yes i'd like it more. right now though i'd prefer playing bioshock. Ontain

well you can try SHTUP and SS2 Rebirth Mods. They enhance Object and AI textures. I havn't installed them but I have heard they make game look bit nicer

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts

bioshock is SS2's clone

same twist

same enemies (basicly)

same cooridor style (underwater instead of in space)

bioshock = consolised SS2 IMO (no inventory and what not)

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
I think BioShock was a much more intelligent game. Rapture is a much more beautiful and engaging place then a spaceship.
pc478

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pc478
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts
Actually, I think stalker remind me more about SS2 then Bioshock, especially those underground lab level.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
System Shock 2 was close to perfection.

Bioshock yes was dumbed down in difficulty(although trying to beat the game on hard without dieing is pretty hard)

Yes the rpg elements were more shallow.

BUt personally the hacking was more fun and usefull. THe atmosphere was strong, the story was as strong, the shooting was just as ok as it was in system shock 2.

Bioshock isnt a bad game, i think it deserved those high 9s. Just SYstem SHock 2 like i sad was close to perfection at its time. NOthing wrong with liking both games and not being elitist about it.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ontain
[QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="naval"]SS2 by far, I don't see any point in favour of BS. While the graphics were better in BS the atmosphere in SS2 was so much scarier that you get immersed in much more in SS2naval

well to me pretty graphics in BS do look cool for few seconds after that it all seemed just okay. In SS2 the effect was continous

I thought it was more than cool for a few seconds. they had character and detail that i don't see in many games. I had a sense of real exploration when i walked around. while SS2's environment was okay. the character models were aweful. also they way they moved was off putting to me too. I did try the mods but they only helped a little. the gameplay still needed to change a little IMO.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="JiveT"]

JiveT

Ah okay, then you enjoy all the wii Shovelware, for their great level of easiness?

HostileEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HostileEffect
Member since 2006 • 2491 Posts

Yeah, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are the two games people need to play before they really know what a good game is.

Omnikron is a game I need to go play too, I only had a broken demo for that game..

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

I think both games are awesome, though they edge eachother out in in several areas. Let me lay out for you, in chart form:

Bioshock has better...

Combat, story, level design, writing, visuals, music, voice acting, and general smoothness of gameplay.

System Shock 2 has better...

RPG elements, challenge (and by extension, better feeling of accomplishment), horror, atmosphere, sense of purpose, replay value, and variety.

They're very different games. Bioshock is more of a pure FPS with alot of emphasis on fast paced, up close, visceral combat, whilst SS2 is alot heavier on the RPG side, and is a more cerebral experience, at least when it comes to basic gameplay.

Honestly I really can't choose between the two; both are in my top 10 of all time list.

Really, they are both just simply excellent games that excel in different areas. Hell, I think they even compliment one another, having played them over back to back just recently.

zepman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zepman71
Member since 2005 • 4120 Posts
I really need to play System Shock 2, too bad its very rare....I hope it gets a reissue soon. Even the demo nearly made me s**t myself....
EmperorSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 EmperorSupreme
Member since 2006 • 7686 Posts

Yeah, Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are the two games people need to play before they really know what a good game is.

HostileEffect

Absolutely..... Couldn't agree more.... I'd better not say any more before the illuminati come after me.

jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jaisimar_chelse
and now 2k has announced BS2 but still no SS3 WHEN WILL THAT HAPPEN !!!!
maabus99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 maabus99
Member since 2006 • 970 Posts
For its time, System Shock 2 is a master piece. For its time, Deus Ex is a masterpiece. Nothing has come close since, though I did like Bioshock.
dlindenb2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -11

#44 dlindenb2000
Member since 2005 • 4750 Posts

Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

That opening line has stuck with me more then any other, I have played hundreds of games, and none can compare to the greatness of System Shock. I remember scenes, events and names from other games, but from SS I remember the dialogue, can hear the voice in my head. Even years since the last time I played.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jg4xchamp
and now 2k has announced BS2 but still no SS3 WHEN WILL THAT HAPPEN !!!!jaisimar_chelse
Because EA owns the rights to system shock.

Take 2 only bought the dev.
Avatar image for Kritical_Strike
Kritical_Strike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kritical_Strike
Member since 2006 • 4123 Posts

Console gamers do not like hard games, period.

Stonin

:|

*goes back to playing Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja*

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jg4xchamp

Look at you, hacker. A pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

That opening line has stuck with me more then any other, I have played hundreds of games, and none can compare to the greatness of System Shock. I remember scenes, events and names from other games, but from SS I remember the dialogue, can hear the voice in my head. Even years since the last time I played.

dlindenb2000
thats kind of scary.
jaisimar_chelse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jaisimar_chelse
[QUOTE="Stonin"]

Kritical_Strike

i agree ninja gaiden is the most hardcore game available on the consoles

Stonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Stonin
[QUOTE="Kritical_Strike"][QUOTE="Stonin"]

jaisimar_chelse

i agree ninja gaiden is the most hardcore game available on the consoles

So do I, now lets see what they do to the next one. I'm not saying all console gamers want easy games but publishers are simplifying them so that they sell to the mass market. This is spilling over into PC games as they are being designed for console ports or vice versa. To deny this is foolish imo and Fallout 3 will be the final proof.

Here's hoping The Witcher stays pure and on PC :D.

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 smarb001
Member since 2005 • 2325 Posts
[QUOTE="JiveT"]

Stonin

dont sound like I would want to, I like to have FUN while playing...