SW Magazine #62 - Wii U launch aftermath, Halo 4 review, Vita's death, and more!

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26093 Posts

November 26th, 2012 - Issue 62 - @swm_magazine

swm-5th.png

Letter from the Editor:

The Wii U has arrived, and SW Magazine was right in the forefront of the entire launch. And by forefront, I mean complaining about it and doing nothing of value. Really, what else can you do with a Wii U? This....is....SYSTEM WARS MAGAZINE!!!

- Willy

http://systemwarsmonthly.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/comic-5.png

Gamespot's version of the Illuminati is looking for some new friends. Come laugh at them.

REGGIE WAS RIGHT

2228309-41.jpg?w=640&h=360

Free the talking head!

HOTLINE MIAMI REVIEW

It is an anti-social, amoral game.

THE TWO PEOPLE ON SW WITH A Wii U SHARE THEIR PHOTOS!

What is Painguy1 looking at?

Wii U MOST BORING LAUNCH IN HISTORY?

I'm still first in line!

WHY IS THE VITA DYING?

It's too powerful to die!

HALO 4 REVIEW

Was Halo put in the right hands?

Wii U STORAGE SPACE IS PATHETICALLY TINY

Am I supposed to store games in here?

ARE Wii U ROUNDED DISCS THE GREATEST GAMING INNOVATION EVER?

Hope Sony doesn't copy it!

WHY YOUR GAMING TASTES ARE %$#@

Warning: This article has heavy language.

screenshot_the-lake-line_47-80463-121-531722309-5.png

legal3.gif

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

1st

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I did not get a WiiU and from the sounds of things I'm glad I didn't. There has been a lot of negativity towards it so far and the games seem rather dull so far.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Rounded Discs?

They look like every disc I've seen.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

HAH! Pretty spiffy Photoshop job there Willy, with your avatar smashed through the Wii U tablet :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Rounded Discs?

gameofthering

Yeah I don't get this either, what's the dealio?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Willy105

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

Rounded Discs?

seanmcloughlin

Engadget's article on the Wii U discs.

ocidax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ocidax
Member since 2003 • 791 Posts

You forgot: Wii U third place in consoles sales in their first week (US). In the history.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="gameofthering"]

Rounded Discs?

Willy105

Engadget's article on the Wii U discs.

I had a disc like this before for something and they do feel quite a bit different.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts
Wow, just stumbled across SW magazine website for the 1st time. It has to be the worst e-rag on the internet ever. /facepalm
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Some choice comments taken from other users on the "Why your tastes are crap" article:

"I honestly couldn't take this clown seriously since I've laughed at pretty much everything he said. This dude himself has no taste in gaming since he hates everyone else's taste."

"What an elitistic @sshole!"

"Stop adding your sh*t articles to stumbleupon. Theyre not informative. Theyre not insightful. Theyre not even well written dreck. Stumble upon is for novel web experiences, not your butthurt ramblings. I dont even like Nintendo franchises but your b*tching is making 13 year olds look mature. Its embarrassing. Get a f*cking role model."

I didn't even know we were on Stumbleupon. =/

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

The Halo 4 review was absolutely disgusting. Like IGN levels of disgusting.

If that's not a joke review, whoever wrote it should feel bad for expecting people to take it seriously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59b71619573a1

If that's not a joke review, whoever wrote it should feel bad for expecting people to take it seriously.

DarkLink77

Read the last paragraph and if the rest was like that, i'm glad I didn't read the whole thing. Sounds like gushing (which is likely where your IGN reference comes in)

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

seanmcloughlin

Read the last paragraph and if the rest was like that, i'm glad I didn't read the whole thing. Sounds like gushing (which is likely where your IGN reference comes in)

Bingo.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

seanmcloughlin

Haven't played Halo 4, not a big fan of the series, so I don't have a horse in this race, guys. Nevertheless, I would like to point something out:

As a die-hard Halo fan

the reviewer with a massive erection

That was right at the start of the review. Don't know why you expected anything other than gushing after that, and it's nothing to b*tch about, really.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

jethrovegas

Haven't played Halo 4, not a big fan of the series, so I don't have a horse in this race, guys. Nevertheless, I would like to point something out:

As a die-hard Halo fan

the reviewer with a massive erection

That was right at the start of the review. Don't know why you expected anything other than gushing after that, and it's nothing to b*tch about, really.

A clearly biased person shouldn't have a featured review then or be allowed to do the review. It's like when they let Greg Miller do the Uncharted 3 review at IGN. Such Hyperbole had never been uttered before.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="the reviewer with a massive erection"]

As a die-hard Halo fan

jethrovegas

Can't say I agree, Jethro old chum. I consider myself a big Halo fan, but that doesn't mean that I can't write an honest review.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="jethrovegas"]Haven't played Halo 4, not a big fan of the series, so I don't have a horse in this race, guys. Nevertheless, I would like to point something out:

[QUOTE="the reviewer with a massive erection"]

As a die-hard Halo fan

DarkLink77

Can't say I agree, Jethro old chum. I consider myself a big Halo fan, but that doesn't mean that I can't write an honest review.

Exactly. A review should always be able to study a game objectively. In fact if you're a big fan of something you should be able to state its faults sooner than anyone else, as you know the series or franchise well.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jethrovegas

A clearly biased person shouldn't have a featured review then or be allowed to do the review. It's like when they let Greg Miller do the Uncharted 3 review at IGN. Such Hyperbole had never been uttered before.

seanmcloughlin

Everyone's biased. Some people are more critical or level-headed than others, but that doesn't make the less critical ones somehow ineligible to review. I reviewed Hotline Miami this issue and basically "gushed" about it, and I have every right to. Moreover, I described it as running counter to trends that I personally (a qualifier a critic should never have to use) see as negative in gaming, so it was a clearly biased review, yet I will gladly defend it as a piece of criticism. It's not about biased or unbiased; it's about having reasons to back what you say. The Halo 4 reviewer did not go into much more detail than "I'm a Halo fan, this sh*t is f*cking awsum"(which I, for the record, think is f*cking moronic), but he clearly stated his reasoning, and also explained that he was not just a fan but a die-hard one, i.e, someone unlikely to be very critical of the game in question.

Pretty easy to say "okay, this guy's a die-hard Halo fan, this review isn't something that I want to read" and leave it at that.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I bought two Deluxe Wii U's at launch. I own two Wii U exclusive games (New Mario U and NintendoLand). I have friends that bought others, like the GS low scoring 4.5 ZombiU. It's not so bad, but I haven't beat it yet. ZombiU is doing better at Metacritic with a 74/100.

It's a shame the machine doesn't allow for my IDs to be on both my consoles. Nintendo needs to fix that fact the IDs are stuck to one console. The Sound options are rather disappointing as well for a next gen machine. The Wii U does not support any licensed surround formats: DPII, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD etc. It's a fun machine though, and playing the Wii U Gamepad Tablet while other in the house are watching 1080p Blu-Rays with 7.1 surround is pretty neat.

For the foreseeable future, the Wii U will be my exclusives playing machine much like my N64, GC, and Wii were.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

jethrovegas

Everyone's biased. Some people are more critical or level-headed than others, but that doesn't make the less critical ones somehow ineligible to review. I reviewed Hotline Miami this issue and basically "gushed" about it, and I have every right to. Moreover, I described it as running counter to trends that I personally (a qualifier a critic should never have to use) see as negative in gaming, so it was a clearly biased review, yet I will gladly defend it as a piece of criticism. It's not about biased or unbiased; it's about having reasons to back what you say. The Halo 4 reviewer did not go into much more detail than "I'm a Halo fan, this sh*t is f*cking awsum"(which I, for the record, think is f*cking moronic), but he clearly stated his reasoning, and also explained that he was not just a fan but a die-hard one, i.e, someone unlikely to be very critical of the game in question.

Pretty easy to say "okay, this guy's a die-hard Halo fan, this review isn't something that I want to read" and leave it at that.

The point of a review is to show people who haven't played it what it does good and what it does bad. No game is absolutely perfect and you should be able to say some flaws a game has, more often than not if a game is good then it overcomes these flaws. But to mindlessly gush about something with all positives tells the reader nothing. It doesn't help them get a good grasp of things as tastes differ.

A reviewer is always slightly biased, sure, I can agree with that. But a proper review is able to hide these biased opinions and just write the facts. A little bit if gushing is fine if the game is really THAT good. But paragraph after paragraph of gushing and hyperbole isn't good. It's not good practice or good english. Balance is essential.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DarkLink77

Great Hotline Miami review, by the way, Jethro. Had I seen that while it was still on sale, I probably would have bought it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Great Hotline Miami review, by the way, Jethro. Had I seen that while it was still on sale, I probably would have bought it.

DarkLink77

It's one hell of a game alright. Dat soundtrack.

Also @jethro your review is good.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jethrovegas

The point of a review is to show people who haven't played it what it does good and what it does bad. No game is absolutely perfect and you should be able to say some flaws a game has, more often than not if a game is good then it overcomes these flaws. But to mindlessly gush about something with all positives tells the reader nothing. It doesn't help them get a good grasp of things as tastes differ.

A reviewer is always slightly biased, sure, I can agree with that. But a proper review is able to hide these biased opinions and just write the facts. A little bit if gushing is fine if the game is really THAT good. But paragraph after paragraph of gushing and hyperbole isn't good. It's not good practice or good english. Balance is essential.

seanmcloughlin

I agree with your essential point, that reviews, ideally, should be critiques of a game. But that process cannot be reduced to a feature by feature evaluation. That's what a product reviewer does, not a critic. A critic evaluates a game through his (hopefully well-developed) frame of reference and makes of his overall feeling on the game a clear and open statement as to its quality. In the case of any review I've ever written the reader can, at the very least, come to an understanding of whether I thought a game was bad or good, sometimes with very detailed reasons, and sometimes with general rants. But the careful focusing of these feelings into language is the central purpose of a review, not a standardized, ultra-formal recital and examination of each and every facet of a game. If I think a game is complete sh*t I'm not going to waste my time and the reader's going over each and every one of its failings. That would take whole books in a handful of cases.

DarkLink77

Do so at some point. It's really quite something.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

DarkLink77
The last paragraph was basically the IGN line about chief saying I won't miss. But seriously you vagina You're commenting on a SWM user review? At least have some standards for your b1tching
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

jg4xchamp
The last paragraph was basically the IGN line about chief saying I won't miss. But seriously you vagina You're commenting on a SWM user review? At least have some standards for your b1tching

Not b!tching. Just saying it was bad and I can't it seriously. B!tching is me talking about Valve, or you talking about Halo's single-player post-CE.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp
Objection that's called the truth completely different.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DarkLink77
Objection that's called the truth completely different. jg4xchamp
Yeah, my anti-Valve rants are pretty goddamn enlightening, now that I think about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Objection that's called the truth completely different. DarkLink77
Yeah, my anti-Valve rants are pretty goddamn enlightening, now that I think about it.

You two really need to sleep together already. The tension is unbearable

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jg4xchamp

Don't hate! But no seriously dead give away was pretty early, and I don't think he would really need to apologize for that review. He gave fair warning.

Edit: jethro is mad dialed back in his review. But he makes the game sound interesting. Can't think of a stealth game where I was encouraged to go stealthy for kills.

BlueVigor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BlueVigor
Member since 2012 • 46 Posts
lol@ 71%. Glad to see I am not the only one on this site with common sense to not buy into the Wii U hype.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

That Halo review...was a bit too much in my view.

D4W1L4H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 D4W1L4H
Member since 2011 • 1765 Posts

The comment section on SWM articles never fail to disappoint.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#35 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
I showed a picture of my Wii U. :[
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jg4xchamp
I showed a picture of my Wii U. :[Stevo_the_gamer
Eww you bought a wiiu? Why would you do that to yourself?
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I showed a picture of my Wii U. :[jg4xchamp
Eww you bought a wiiu? Why would you do that to yourself?

:/
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Willy105
Was it in the last thread?
no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

That is like showing a picture of your ugly girlfriend. The wii u is a current gen system with missing multi media fearures,horrible online,no memory and no games for more money. If you wanted a tablet you should have gotten a ipad.

MaskedPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MaskedPlayer
Member since 2012 • 892 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I showed a picture of my Wii U. :[no-scope-AK47

That is like showing a picture of your ugly girlfriend. The wii u is a current gen system with missing multi media fearures,horrible online,no memory and no games for more money. If you wanted a tablet you should have gotten a ipad.

The only thing that matters is the fact that its pure fun to play.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Willy105

Come back once your system has Miiverse and a 2TB HDD to put games in, with all developers allowed to put their games online as well as retail. And no, "it used to have something like it but they took it out because of greed" doesn't work.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
[QUOTE="no-scope-AK47"]

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I showed a picture of my Wii U. :[Willy105

Come back once your system has Miiverse and a 2TB HDD to put games in, with all developers allowed to put their games online as well as retail. And no, "it used to have something like it but they took it out because of greed" doesn't work.

You do know that "downloadable retail games" thing has been on 360 for many years? Here's a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Games_on_Demand
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

tablets aren't gaming machines. They like to pretend, but that's not real gaming
King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
Haha I lol'd at the last picture.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I showed a picture of my Wii U. :[Willy105

SWM thread. No. Wii U Thread. Yes. :P
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Odd, I must be playing with imaginary games then. Silly me.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I showed a picture of my Wii U. :[Stevo_the_gamer

SWM thread. No. Wii U Thread. Yes. :P

Post it here, I'll get it up there.
Tinyrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tinyrain
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Too long to read....
yatesrinaldo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 yatesrinaldo1
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I was just wondering if the theater mode recent games ever expire
A_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#50 A_zombie
Member since 2005 • 7385 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

jethrovegas

So, if I happened to love a game and write a glowing review about it it's bias? Isn't that what glowing reviews are all about? I admit I tried so hard to find flaws but I coudn't and I put my Halo bias aside. I stand by my review and I appreciate all of your constructive criticism.