Superman video game from WB games Montreal leaked

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

There's a video that accompanies the leak http://i.imgur.com/LcFbFwd.gifv

https://twitter.com/VGFGamers/status/617735499155931136

Thanks GAF

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

That would be the most boring video game ever. How do you make one for a guy who is, very literally, invincible?

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

That would be the most boring video game ever. How do you make one for a guy who is, very literally, invincible?

You make his health bar linked to the city lol.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I'm already turned off the idea of a Superman game just by hearing it's a Superman game. I think part of the appeal of certain games is the triump over adversity...

Loading Video...

If there were ever a medium to make Superman game with, it'd be a Telltale game. Anything else would be a recipe for disaster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ant_17: That's... Actually a very smart idea.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

**** that goody two shoes

We need another Punisher game

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Batman will always be best super hero, because he feels a lot more realistic and human,,, followed by Captain America.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I hope the bad guy is Darkseid. He's the one dude that always gives Superman his toughest challenges.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Gotta be better than Batman with all that lame ass sneaking around bullshit.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

How do they know WB games Montreal is behind this? For all we know it's Injustice:Gods Among Us 2. NRS is under contract to do another DC game.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

We need a The Flash game or Arrow. open world too. huge potential in the right hands like say Rocksteady.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

Man, I would buy this in a heartbeat if it has a mode where it allows gamers to fly around unchallenged (no kryptonite) and just do chillaxing non threatening nor time-bound missions.

It would be so therapeutic experience like Mirror's Edge non-chase missions or test drive unlimited delivering stuff missions.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

You must not be very familiar with the comics. He has plenty of weaknesses, and was killed at one point.

Darkseid for instance embarrasses him frequently.

And really, take Thanos for instance. With the completed Infinity Gauntlet, he is literally God and blinks half the universe's life at the snap of his fingers... yet he is still defeated by the combined efforts of the heroes of the Marvel universe on more than one occasion. When it comes to comics, there is always a way to best the most powerful thing in the universe.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Have him fight non-humans. I think the newest superman movie set the precedent that he is not invincible.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

Yeah how do you do level design for someone who can fly out into space, flies faster than light and easily can smash through any building? Will they still go for "this door is locked" lol...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

yay, a game about one of the worst super heroes every made sounds great....

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#17 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Because Supes has a decent track record with games, right?

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 A-new-Guardian

Best super man game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Funny. My dad was asking me what's the hoopla over Superman vs Batman? Couldn't superman just destroy him easily? But what Miller started in Dark Knight returns (1986) with Batman being smarter and way more strategical and cunning than Supes has become pretty much the norm in comics now. Also the creation of Doomsday who is basically a DC Hulk in that he is near impossible to stop/tire out and can go head to head with the big blue boy scout. If they go with what has been some great changes to Superman in order to make him more compelling of a character there are possibilities. He needs to have more weaknesses than green rocks.

Superman Returns game nailed the flying perfect imo. But the game blew, so you basically got a good flight sim. I love comics, have a large collection and welcome super hero games. I just hope for honest to goodness treatment like Rocksteady gave Batman.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Ant_17: That's... Actually a very smart idea.

Been done in Superman Returns game.

@foxhound_fox said:
@charizard1605 said:

You must not be very familiar with the comics. He has plenty of weaknesses, and was killed at one point.

And really, take Thanos for instance. With the completed Infinity Gauntlet, he is literally God and blinks half the universe's life at the snap of his fingers... yet he is still defeated by the combined efforts of the heroes of the Marvel universe on more than one occasion. When it comes to comics, there is always a way to best the most powerful thing in the universe.

Agreed. Magic is another weakness for Superman. Shazam has gone toe to toe with him as a result, and Thor did in the Avengers/Justice League series.

@samusbeliskner said:
@charizard1605 said:

Have him fight non-humans. I think the newest superman movie set the precedent that he is not invincible.

Only hero I know of that can break the speed of light is the Flash. Maybe the Surfer as well. Is this comic book canon you speak of?

@nintendoboy16 said:

Because Supes has a decent track record with games, right?

Batman's was abysmal until Arkham Asylum.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61479 Posts

He's a tough character to utilize. Maybe we could see something where he needs to attain his powers again, after losing them a la red solar radiation... Or maybe even an origin game. I'm so out of it with regards to comics, that I have no idea what has been done, or what could be done.

I'd much rather have a gritty Green Arrow game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Legend002: i will wait until we actually know this for sure

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9727 Posts

Have the team that worked on the Batman games work on a Superman game and put in guys that can kill him without his weaknesses in the game.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 A-new-Guardian

Batman had good games too before Arkham.

batman vengeance on PS2.

batman begins. ( well it was good for me )

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Frank_Castle

I mean seriously...haven't Superman, Batman and Spiderman been done to death at this point?

Give me a Punisher game

Give me a Daredevil game

Give me a Moon Knight game

Give me a Swamp Thing game

Give me a Green Lantern/Green Arrow game

Give me a well made X-Men game

Shake things up for **** sake. Plenty of people are interested in other comic heroes besides the same fucking handful over and over again.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I've still yet to see definitive proof this is a Montreal game. inb4 Injustice 2.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Spoken like somebody who doesn't know a damn thing about the character and hops on the pop culture hate bandwagon.

C'mon, Chaz. I thought you were better than this.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Hmmm...they made Batman Origins. I'm not sure about this, BUT I hope for the best. Good luck on them making a great game.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I'm all for a Superman open world game, as long as it is done well, because Superman is far from being a boring character or concept, i hope they finally do the justice that the character deserves.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

There's a reason most people are turned off by the idea of a Superman anything. For one, he lacks any real human characteristics in which we're able to relate to. His weaknesses are pretty dumb for the most part.

And unless he's fighting someone of a ridiculous level of power like Darksied, Bizarro, Martian Manhunter, Doomsday or so on...they really don't pose much of a threat. His character is also very dull. At least with certain invincible characters like Deadpool or Juggernaut...they've some saving grace thanks to character development. I'm not looking forward to this at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@foxhound_fox said:

@DarkLink77 said:

Spoken like somebody who doesn't know a damn thing about the character and hops on the pop culture hate bandwagon.

C'mon, Chaz. I thought you were better than this.

You're both completely missing what I am trying to say. I am not hating on Superman, and I am pretty familiar with his comic book storylines. Nevertheless, adversaries that can truly challenge Superman come in three varieties:

• People who take months and years to prepare and then challenge him
  • People who can challenge and torment him on an emotional or psychological level
  • Beings that truly do rival him in terms of power

All three cases make for some great and compelling stories- they really do. They are all also some highly specific scenarios, that would work great for the overall plot and setup for the game, and also boss battles. But you cannot make an entire game out of them- not unless you are thinking of having the entire game being populated by Darkseids, or Superman waiting for his adversary to actually prepare and then come at him. Because any combat against anybody else would end up being a series of one hit KOs. Superman is so overpowered that the entire game would be banal and trite, unless it was all populated by super beings- which would trivialize them, or Superman, or both.

Superman may be well suited for comics or for movies, but video games? Unless it was a non combat based video game, for instance, I dont see how it would work, outside of, like someone else in this thread suggested, having his 'health' tied to the health of the city overall.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

WB Montreal?

I suspect an Arkham rip off with Super Man stuff thrown in.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkLink77

@charizard1605: Chaz, if you can make a good game about the Hulk smashing stuff, you can make a good Superman game.

They have the same problem (they're borderline unstoppable). You just have to find the right mechanics. Having the city have health is a good idea. Trying to balance fighting the bad guys with saving people is another.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@DarkLink77 said:

@charizard1605: Chaz, if you can make a good game about the Hulk smashing stuff, you can make a good Superman game.

They have the same problem (they're borderline unstoppable). You just have to find the right mechanics. Having the city have health is a good idea. Trying to balance fighting the bad guys with saving people is another.

I never said there could be a good Hulk game either lol.

That sounds like a good idea to me, balancing saving people with fighting guys. Maybe there could be some sort of an overall conscience meter, which affects Superman's effectiveness, and the meter is affected by how much damage/deaths Superman caused at the end of each level.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

I remember a lot of people doubting how good a batman game would be before Batman AA came out. Now look at it. Maybe the have a good formula for Superman that makes sense.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

@Sushiglutton: to be fair that would be pretty hilarious.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Is that why there's a lot of Superman easter eggs in Arkham City?

I guess gameplay is going to be chaining various overpowered abilities.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Frank_Castle

@XboxStache said:

There's a reason most people are turned off by the idea of a Superman anything. For one, he lacks any real human characteristics in which we're able to relate to. His weaknesses are pretty dumb for the most part.

And unless he's fighting someone of a ridiculous level of power like Darksied, Bizarro, Martian Manhunter, Doomsday or so on...they really don't pose much of a threat. His character is also very dull. At least with certain invincible characters like Deadpool or Juggernaut...they've some saving grace thanks to character development. I'm not looking forward to this at all.

Pretty much

I've personally always favored the street level heroes (Punisher, Batman, Daredevil, Moon Knight, etc)

To me, it's infinitely more badass to step out into a world populated with super heroes/super villains, as a mere man, and more than hold your own.

How is Superman so courageous when really the only ways you can defeat him are by traveling to fucking Krypton for some space rocks or traveling to some planet with a red sun to fight him?

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

@frank_castle said:
@XboxStache said:

Pretty much

I've personally always favored the street level heroes (Punisher, Batman, Daredevil, Moon Knight, etc)

To me, it's infinitely more badass to step out into a world populated with super heroes/super villains, as a mere man, and more than hold your own.

How is Superman so courageous when really the only ways you can defeat him are by traveling to fucking Krypton for some space rocks or traveling to some planet with a red sun to fight him?

Exactly. And a Punisher game would be badass. Remember the one for Xbox/PS2? Why it hasn't gotten a proper sequel is beyond me when that game was so epic. What other game let you pop up from a coffin and shoot down the mob? Cremate a mobster, toss a mobster in a shark tank, impale, and all the cool shit....the old Punisher for Arcade was great as well...but the one on PS3 blew. I also agree about Moon Knight and Daredevil...in the right hands those games could be epic.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarkLink77

@charizard1605 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

That sounds like a good idea to me, balancing saving people with fighting guys. Maybe there could be some sort of an overall conscience meter, which affects Superman's effectiveness, and the meter is affected by how much damage/deaths Superman caused at the end of each level.

Well, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction exists, so... :P

That would be pretty good. It's not impossible. It just requires a lot of thought.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Frank_Castle

@XboxStache said:
@frank_castle said:
@XboxStache said:

Pretty much

Exactly. And a Punisher game would be badass. Remember the one for Xbox/PS2? Why it hasn't gotten a proper sequel is beyond me when that game was so epic. What other game let you pop up from a coffin and shoot down the mob? Cremate a mobster, toss a mobster in a shark tank, impale, and all the cool shit....the old Punisher for Arcade was great as well...but the one on PS3 blew. I also agree about Moon Knight and Daredevil...in the right hands those games could be epic.

Yep

I played the hell out of the Punisher for the original XBOX. Insanely fun game.

Also played the shit out of the "rail shooter" Punisher for the NES back in the early 90's.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@DarkLink77 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@DarkLink77 said:

Well, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction exists, so... :P

That would be pretty good. It's not impossible. It just requires a lot of thought.

Just looked into it, that actually looks pretty neat.

And yeah, I guess it can be done. The next question is- do we want to trust Warner Montreal with it?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Superman is a pain in the ass character to write for in mediums like comics and film, making a game around that guy is going to be a nightmare. And I'd trust Rocksteady to deliver on it, but WB Montreal? Origins wasn't a good game, it is easily the weakest Batman game.

I like Superman, I think his haters are usually pretty ignorant to the better aspects of Superman lore/stories and go with the cheap popular knock, but he is not built for a video game.

Part of the reason Batman works is he's a dude with stuff, using his stuff against people who pose an actual threat to him. Superman is a literal god, only the other DC characters that are godlike can really compete with him. Personally I want to see Wonder Woman or Green Lantern.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

@frank_castle said:

**** that goody two shoes

We need another Punisher game

F**k yeah we do! This time make it open world!

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

I can't support a WB game....still can't play Batman assholes

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

leaked ss of the game

worknow222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 worknow222
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

superman really isnt invincible astrong enough apponent can really give him hell

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

@charizard1605: Devil may cry has never had that problem. OP main charachters are very common in videogames, everyone seems weaker with a health bar.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mercenary848

In this thread, people who do not read comics talking about one of the mediums most engaging and fleshed out characters hahaha.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mercenary848

I never understood the whole superman is unrelatable BS. He comes from humble beginnings. Works a 9-5, has a girlfriend(maybe thats why the average gamespotter cant relate lol), is often confused about whether his way is the right way, has periods of weakness/emotional doubt that he hides. Has very few people he leans on because of fear that they might get hurt. Has told the government to piss off multiple times.

Batman basically raised himself and traveled the world. He is ridiculously rich and a part of the 1 percent. Does not trust anyone, but has an extended family of kids that he trained and they frequently get killed. Once he is set in his ways, he is stubborn as hell. People complain about stories where superman is challenged physically, you have harde luck finding a story where batman owns up to a mistake.