Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS will get some online tweaks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Confirmed AAAAE guys!

Coming from a Famitsu interview with Mr. Sakurai...

F: In the future, do you plan on adjusting or balancing the game further through a patch?

Sakurai: We don't have any such plans, but at the very least we will be working on a few things connected to the online play experience, bit by bit.

If we were to do something like tweak characters' customized special moves, then there'd be no end to it. But with that said, if there are any glaring issues, we may address them.

F: That's because with customized special moves or items, you can only play with them enabled online with players who are in your friends list, isn't that right?

Sakura: When playing with your personal friends, I think it's probably more interesting that you can almost cheat a little through customizing your character. *Laughs*

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 93BlackHawk93

Why the **** do I not see this thread on the forum? :/

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

That was the vaguest answer possible and really doesn't say anything besides adding those conquests/Miiverse stage

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Yeah, the lag and input delay make it absolutely no fun to play.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Yeah, the lag and input delay make it absolutely no fun to play.

I play for glory, 1v1. 90% of matches are now lag free. There was some lag just after launch, but now it's pretty much perfect. Even "for fun" mode is a lot less laggy nowadays.

As for the "for fun" mode, I don't see the fun in it. Having items and all that craziness is fun with friends in the same room, it's not really fun online. The competitive for glory matches make sense online, at least in my opinion anyway.

Personally, I hope they update the game so you can do 2v2 online with a friend. I have a friend who I'd like to co-op fight others online with, but it's only possible if we do local co-op then go online.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

For fun 1 vs 1 would be really cool.

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts

Well at least we have confirmation for the miiverse stage, the tournament mode (online and offline) and mewtwo in march, so anything else is a plus.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I own this game and unlocked a few characters playing with friends. This is still a couch game for me.

Nintendo and Online go together like peanutbutter and arsenic.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

@trugs26: I have not played a 3DS 1v1 for glory game (out of 700+ matches) WITHOUT input lag. Are you saying that there's no input lag on the Wii U version?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#10 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@trugs26: Most of my matches are against Charizars1605 and we're horribly encumbered by the lag at hand. I'm gonna try an Ethernet connection sometime to see if that makes a huge difference.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trugs26

@Zlurodirom: I own the 3DS version but I never play it (since the Wii U version is superior in every way). I'm trying the 3DS version online now for you... I had 5 matches (against 3 different people) and the results were mixed. This is only anecdotal but it feels like it's more consistent and smooth on the Wii U version.

@Blabadon: The game is peer to peer during a match. So one of you guys must have a crap internet connection (try doing a speed test). I'm from New Zealand, which is a country known to have one of the crappiest internet speeds in the western world. Assuming you don't live somewhere worse, then you should be fine. FYI, I'm playing wirelessly.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 trugs26

@trugs26 said:

@Zlurodirom: I own the 3DS version but I never play it (since the Wii U version is superior in every way). I'm trying the 3DS version online now for you... I had 5 matches (against 3 different people) and the results were mixed. This is only anecdotal but it feels like it's more consistent and smooth on the Wii U version.

@Blabadon: The game is peer to peer during a match. So one of you guys must have a crap internet connection (try doing a speed test). I'm from New Zealand, which is a country known to have one of the crappiest internet speeds in the western world. Assuming you don't live somewhere worse, then you should be fine. FYI, I'm playing wirelessly.

And now I've played about 10 matches online for Wii U. Now lag at all.

Avatar image for littlestreakier
littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 littlestreakier
Member since 2004 • 2950 Posts

@93BlackHawk93: because he felt like sharing it...

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Yes, the online needs to be fixed. The "smooth" matches I rarely manage to get into still has input lag, making the game more frustrating than fun. Some people don't mind input lag for some reason, but I can't stand it. "Just play 1vs1" people say. "That's fucking boring" I say. Even the 1vs1 matches also has input lag.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

@trugs26: The Wii U version being superior is what I would expect. Disappointing that Nintendo has trouble with online play in 2014... Hopefully they'll work on input lag for the 3DS version in future patches, though that's good to hear that the Wii U version has the potential for no input lag, but it would be nice if Nintendo improved it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@Zlurodirom said:

@trugs26: The Wii U version being superior is what I would expect. Disappointing that Nintendo has trouble with online play in 2014... Hopefully they'll work on input lag for the 3DS version in future patches, though that's good to hear that the Wii U version has the potential for no input lag, but it would be nice if Nintendo improved it.

I feel the same way.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

They released a balance patch for the 3ds version a few weeks ago so it's definitely possible

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

Now that he's removed all advanced tech I guess Sakurai thinks his job is done

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Hopefully they patch in a proper single player. The game gets boring quick.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#20 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Fun single player game with lots to unlock.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

I honestly haven't seen a lot of online errors. There are lag spikes that are horrible, but at least it usually doesn't drop the match.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 93BlackHawk93

@littlestreakier: ?

littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 littlestreakier

@93BlackHawk93: "Why the **** do I not see this thread on the forum? :/" I mean I agree, but does it really need to be said? Lol

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 93BlackHawk93

@littlestreakier: I intentionally bumped the thread to see if GS stopped glitching. When I posted it, it didn't show up anywhere.

littlestreakier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By littlestreakier

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@littlestreakier: I intentionally bumped the thread to see if GS stopped glitching. When I posted it, it didn't show up anywhere.

well this is awkward...i actually read that wrong lmao. I initially thought you said something along the lines of "why is this thread needed". sorry man, completely misread that haha.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The online is strong for the most part in For glory 1v1, but lag is something that is practically inescapable for something like a fighter. When you're playing a game where you count frames per second and precision counts more than anything, lag is going to be more noticeable.

I will say that Smash Bros. Wii U has a more stable online wireless than Ultra Street Fighter IV does wired on PS3. It's actually very comparable to how well Ultra Street Fighter runs on Xbox 360 with a wired connection so it's quite good.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Blabadon said:

@trugs26: Most of my matches are against Charizars1605 and we're horribly encumbered by the lag at hand. I'm gonna try an Ethernet connection sometime to see if that makes a huge difference.

You need a wired connection for any fighting game online. Bandwidth needs to be constant for less laggy matches. You should be fine with Wired. Char will have to also get wired if you want the best experience. This is with all fighting games.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 trugs26

@nini200 said:

@Blabadon said:

You need a wired connection for any fighting game online. Bandwidth needs to be constant for less laggy matches. You should be fine with Wired. Char will have to also get wired if you want the best experience. This is with all fighting games.

I don't know if it's necessary. My matches are fine and I'm wireless. But for those who are having trouble, they definitely should look into getting wired.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nini200

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@Blabadon said:

I don't know if it's necessary. My matches are fine and I'm wireless. But for those who are having trouble, they definitely should look into getting wired.

It is confirmed already. Wireless gives you fast speeds but they fluxuate resulting in lag. Wired gives a much more constant speed resulting in less lag and when you're dealing with fighting games, especially 2D Sprite based fighters, Bandwidth comes into play hugely. When all parties are wired, the connections are much better.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

I wish they would matchmake you with other people of similar connection. I do not want to play someone with a dialup.

At least let players know how bad their connection is so they know what they are putting other people through.

WHen I have to play someone who clearly is causing huge delay and input lag as well I leave after the match.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 trugs26

@nini200 said:

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@Blabadon said:

It is confirmed already. Wireless gives you fast speeds but they fluxuate resulting in lag. Wired gives a much more constant speed resulting in less lag and when you're dealing with fighting games, especially 2D Sprite based fighters, Bandwidth comes into play hugely. When all parties are wired, the connections are much better.

Yes, no doubt it is better, but it's still not necessary if you have a fast wireless connection anyway.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nini200

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@Blabadon said:

Yes, no doubt it is better, but it's still not necessary if you have a fast wireless connection anyway.

You can play with wireless (regardless the speed) but if you want less disconnections, less lag and the best online experience, you need a wired connection for fighting games.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By trugs26

@nini200 said:

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@Blabadon said:

You can play with wireless (regardless the speed) but if you want less disconnections, less lag and the best online experience, you need a wired connection for fighting games.

This is one of those circumstances where we continue to go "yeah, you're right, but I'm more right!" :P

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nini200

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@trugs26 said:

@nini200 said:

@Blabadon said:

This is one of those circumstances where we continue to go "yeah, you're right, but I'm more right!" :P

Yeah you're right, but I'm more right! :D