Super Smash Bros. 4 Will Release Holiday 2013

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Hear me out, okay?

Nintendo has roughly three massive cross demographical system sellers: Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros. (If we count Pokemon, then it's four, but Pokemon is handheld only, and we are talking about the Wii U, so it's a moot point).

Now, let's examine the context the Wii U will find itself in come Holiday 2013:

• It shall be coming off of a year of tepid to mediocre sales at best (since nothing announced on the horizon pre Fall would move systems in the slightest).
  • The Playstation 4 and the new Xbox will be releasing, offering a true generational leap, which means Nintendo will need to get aggressive and counter fast.
  • They could theoretically drop the price, but as their experience with the 3DS has demonstrated, just dropping the price does not stimulate (or sustain) sales; one needs to have the appropriate software to go with the reduced, more attractive price.

Which brings us to the games. As mentioned above, they have three cross demographical games: Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros.

• 3D Mario sells systems, but it does not sell enough systems. It sells to the core audience more than the casual audience, and said core audience will probably be more than willing to forego playing the newest Mario for a while, just so they can get their hands on the shiny new Xbox and Playstation. The other Mario that does sell to casuals and cores, New Super Mario, has already released on the Wii U and failed to generate any kind of interest or response.
  • Mario Kart has a slightly better outlook, except for one problem: Nintendo already played the Mario Kart card to sell the 3DS two years (at the time of Holiday 2013) ago. Casuals who just spent $170 plus another $40 to buy the latest Mario Kart then won't be willing to go spend another $250 (presuming the new price of the Deluxe model) plus $60 just to play another Mario Kart, when they might as well just play the DS, Wii, or 3DS games. For core gamers who like Mario Kart, again, it won't be enough by itself to sway them to cough up for a Wii U when they can buy a shiny new Xbox or Playstation instead.
  • This brings us to the final game on that list: Super Smash Bros. The last game will have been out for nearly six years by Holiday 2013, meaning no risk of franchise saturation there. The Wii U version will probably get top billing over the 3DS version (especially since the 3DS will take care of itself with the Pokemon release), meaning everyone who wants to play it will want to buy a Wii U. Super Smash Bros. does sell systems, and it sells systems to both, the casuals and the core gamers. Many core gamers might decide to buy a Wii U for Super Smash Bros. (plus the existing library; along with the fact that the launch kinks will have been worked out by then), because SSB is the one game that will sway them over a new Xbox or Playstation. Casuals will simply go after the game they want to play the most, and that game will be Super Smash Bros.

To lend credence to my theory is the fact that Nintendo has enlisted the help of Namco Bandai to help with Super Smash Bros. 4, which means that they have clearly fast tracked the development. You can quote me on this if you like, but Nintendo's marquee Holiday 2013 game will be SSB4.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Source? oh just another sheep dreaming about having games :lol:

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

Charizard.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Charizard, you are great dude but could you chill out a bit? Too many Nintendo threads on SWs right now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

NathanDrakeSwag
You realize I don't even have a Wii U and have zero f*cks to give about how it does? I don't care. What I do like to talk about is games (not a concept you would be familiar with, of course), and SSB4 is a game I am looking forward to. In this thread, I am trying to justify why it would release this year. Do you have an issue with that?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

We need a link man!

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
I prefer drops.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
I prefer drops. Badosh
10% to Level 10...

We need a link man!

mitu123
Wait for E3. I will be vindicated ;)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Charizard, you are great dude but could you chill out a bit? Too many Nintendo threads on SWs right now. Miroku32
There needs to be some positivity amidst all the negativity, no?
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
This would be the greatest news ever! Who the f@ck would care about the PS4 and NextBox if the next Smash Bros. released? I know I wouldn't.
Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

This would be the greatest news ever! Who the f@ck would care about the PS4 and NextBox if the next Smash Bros. released? I know I wouldn't. RyanShazam

People who don't care about Nintendos 30 year old cartoon lineup.

Dj-CrunkyTIGER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dj-CrunkyTIGER
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]

Hear me out, okay?

Nintendo has roughly three massive cross demographical system sellers: Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros. (If we count Pokemon, then it's four, but Pokemon is handheld only, and we are talking about the Wii U, so it's a moot point).

Now, let's examine the context the Wii U will find itself in come Holiday 2013:

It shall be coming off of a year of tepid to mediocre sales at best (since nothing announced on the horizon pre Fall would move systems in the slightest). The Playstation 4 and the new Xbox will be releasing, offering a true generational leap, which means Nintendo will need to get aggressive and counter fast. They could theoretically drop the price, but as their experience with the 3DS has demonstrated, just dropping the price does not stimulate (or sustain) sales; one needs to have the appropriate software to go with the reduced, more attractive price.

Which brings us to the games. As mentioned above, they have three cross demographical games: Mario, Mario Kart, and Super Smash Bros.

3D Mario sells systems, but it does not sell enough systems. It sells to the core audience more than the casual audience, and said core audience will probably be more than willing to forego playing the newest Mario for a while, just so they can get their hands on the shiny new Xbox and Playstation. The other Mario that does sell to casuals and cores, New Super Mario, has already released on the Wii U and failed to generate any kind of interest or response. Mario Kart has a slightly better outlook, except for one problem: Nintendo already played the Mario Kart card to sell the 3DS two years (at the time of Holiday 2013) ago. Casuals who just spent $170 plus another $40 to buy the latest Mario Kart then won't be willing to go spend another $250 (presuming the new price of the Deluxe model) plus $60 just to play another Mario Kart, when they might as well just play the DS, Wii, or 3DS games. For core gamers who like Mario Kart, again, it won't be enough by itself to sway them to cough up for a Wii U when they can buy a shiny new Xbox or Playstation instead. This brings us to the final game on that list: Super Smash Bros. The last game will have been out for nearly six years by Holiday 2013, meaning no risk of franchise saturation there. The Wii U version will probably get top billing over the 3DS version (especially since the 3DS will take care of itself with the Pokemon release), meaning everyone who wants to play it will want to buy a Wii U. Super Smash Bros. does sell systems, and it sells systems to both, the casuals and the core gamers. Many core gamers might decide to buy a Wii U for Super Smash Bros. (plus the existing library; along with the fact that the launch kinks will have been worked out by then), because SSB is the one game that will sway them over a new Xbox or Playstation. Casuals will simply go after the game they want to play the most, and that game will be Super Smash Bros.

To lend credence to my theory is the fact that Nintendo has enlisted the help of Namco Bandai to help with Super Smash Bros. 4, which means that they have clearly fast tracked the development. You can quote me on this if you like, but Nintendo's marquee Holiday 2013 game will be SSB4.

Incorrect, it would be a bad time to launch. SSBB took a few years to reach the 8 or so million point, which was helped by wii sports crowd, which does not exist on this system, due to random sales slumps. SSB melee needed pretty much the entire GC lifespan to reach its number, but it did sell a fe systems good. SSB64 did not sell systems. Not to mention that Nintendo still needs to up the 3DS in the U.S. and Eu. So you are assuming that SSB4 will release at a time the Wii U is not moving a decent number of sale units? Why would they do that? They won't take the risk.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
[QUOTE="Miroku32"]Charizard, you are great dude but could you chill out a bit? Too many Nintendo threads on SWs right now. charizard1605

Yeah but trying to argue with stupid cows isn't... pointless? They will continue posting stupid things anyways.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RyanShazam

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]This would be the greatest news ever! Who the f@ck would care about the PS4 and NextBox if the next Smash Bros. released? I know I wouldn't. NathanDrakeSwag

Ga back to playing your inferior Playstation All Stars. This is a thread for people who like good games.
Dj-CrunkyTIGER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dj-CrunkyTIGER
This would be the greatest news ever! Who the f@ck would care about the PS4 and NextBox if the next Smash Bros. released? I know I wouldn't. RyanShazam
You would be in the minority like the Melee corwd before.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#16 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

NathanDrakeSwag

wiiu already has games busted

need for speed

zombi u 

nsmbu

nintendoland

sing party

me3

ac 3 and 4 coming

monsterhunter

lego city undercover

walking dead  survival instinct

007 legends 

cod bo 2

darksiders 2

batman ac

sonic all star racing

plus has - all the eshop games ,  as a fortunate owner of all of the eshop titles available  all of them were pretty fun

and its got alot of more games on the way ,  

resident evil revelations

ac4

pikmin 3

project cars

aliens  colonial marines

yarn yoshi

game and wario

wii party u

2 zelda games

ssb4

3d mario title

mario kart 8

wii fit u

watch dogs

ghost recon

rayman legends

no games huh? slap slap slap slap   

Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
[QUOTE="Miroku32"]Charizard, you are great dude but could you chill out a bit? Too many Nintendo threads on SWs right now. charizard1605

This is negative bcuz when SSB4 doesnt release, it'll leave ppl broken hearted.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

All that speculation when the reality of the situation is, Wii U owners are only playing this..

The-Waiting-Game.jpg

Dj-CrunkyTIGER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dj-CrunkyTIGER
[QUOTE="mariokart64fan"]

[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

wiiu already has games busted

need for speed

zombi u 

nsmbu

nintendoland

sing party

me3

ac 3 and 4 coming

monsterhunter

lego city undercover

walking dead  survival instinct

007 legends 

cod bo 2

darksiders 2

batman ac

sonic all star racing

plus has - all the eshop games ,  as a fortunate owner of all of the eshop titles available  all of them were pretty fun

and its got alot of more games on the way ,  

resident evil revelations

ac4

pikmin 3

project cars

aliens  colonial marines

yarn yoshi

game and wario

wii party u

2 zelda games

ssb4

3d mario title

mario kart 8

wii fit u

watch dogs

ghost recon

rayman legends

no games huh? slap slap slap slap   

80% of which are avaialble or will be multiplat on a better system with more options coming up around the same price as the Wii U or not far off. Nothing there to actually make someone run and buy the system.
Agent-Tojed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Agent-Tojed
Member since 2012 • 160 Posts

Brawl took 3 years to make on the WII. The Wii U has been out for 5 months. It's not coming out this year unless Nintendo wants a half baked cash-in.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts

S

S

D

D

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Goddammit TC. NO FVCKING MISLEADING TITLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Brawl took 3 years to make on the WII. The Wii U has been out for 5 months. It's not coming out this year unless Nintendo wants a half baked cash-in.

Agent-Tojed
Brawl had an 18 month development cycle, and was developed by Nintendo entirely all by itself. 4 will be an HD game that Nintendo is making with Namco Bandai, and it has been in development since last January. So...
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Ur title made it sound as if it has been confirmed.. charz u should know better not to post dreams as something confirmed but who to blame you wiiU pretty bad :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]This would be the greatest news ever! Who the f@ck would care about the PS4 and NextBox if the next Smash Bros. released? I know I wouldn't. RyanShazam

Ga back to playing your inferior Playstation All Stars. This is a thread for people who like good games.

Stop paying attention to Swaggy. He'll starve for attention and his swag will shrivel and die, putting an end to him. Anyways, I think we would have seen something by now. Even just a trailer in Nintendo Direct, if it was in any sort of state to show.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
That would be awesome, I just hope it's not "rushed" and hold the standard of the franchise and I hope to god they got the online figured out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="RyanShazam"][QUOTE="NathanDrakeSwag"]

darkspineslayer

Stop paying attention to Swaggy. He'll starve for attention and his swag will shrivel and die, putting an end to him. Anyways, I think we would have seen something by now. Even just a trailer in Nintendo Direct, if it was in any sort of state to show.

Nintendo stopped showing off games until they were just a few months from release, remember? Literally the only exceptions to this are Zelda games, and the Wii U 'launch window' games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"] Ga back to playing your inferior Playstation All Stars. This is a thread for people who like good games.

Nintendo stopped showing off games until they were just a few months from release, remember? Literally the only exceptions to this are Zelda games, and the Wii U 'launch window' games.

Pokemon X/Y was shown in January wasn't it? Out in October. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but if we don't have a demo at E3, than I seriously doubt it will come this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"] Stop paying attention to Swaggy. He'll starve for attention and his swag will shrivel and die, putting an end to him. Anyways, I think we would have seen something by now. Even just a trailer in Nintendo Direct, if it was in any sort of state to show.

Pokemon X/Y was shown in January wasn't it? Out in October. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but if we don't have a demo at E3, than I seriously doubt it will come this year.

If we don't have a demo at E3, I'll concede defeat :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Nintendo stopped showing off games until they were just a few months from release, remember? Literally the only exceptions to this are Zelda games, and the Wii U 'launch window' games.

I really hope we get the Smash Bros Dojo daily updates again. Those had me so hyped. Would be a shame if Nintendo skipped the hype train this time.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="darkspineslayer"]Pokemon X/Y was shown in January wasn't it? Out in October. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but if we don't have a demo at E3, than I seriously doubt it will come this year.

I really hope we get the Smash Bros Dojo daily updates again. Those had me so hyped. Would be a shame if Nintendo skipped the hype train this time.

We probably won't have as many, because Nintendo likes keeping secrets in its games now. Then again, they probably want as much hype for this game as possible, so maybe they will make an exception this time.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RyanShazam
The 3DS game is rumored to be holiday 2013, right?
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

The PS4 and New Box comes out this year.

So no one cares about anything Wii U related except the most loyal Sheep. Not trying to be mean but it is true.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
The 3DS game is rumored to be holiday 2013, right?RyanShazam
Nintendo PR listed it as a 2013 game
Candy-Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Candy-Star
Member since 2004 • 4378 Posts
You sig makes me feel weird
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I so badly want you to be right.

youngmurk911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 youngmurk911
Member since 2004 • 3895 Posts

NathanDrakeSwag
^^this^^
Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts
Umm, me. o:
platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]This would be the greatest news ever! Who the f@ck would care about the PS4 and NextBox if the next Smash Bros. released? I know I wouldn't. Xaero_Gravity
Umm, me. o:

Me too.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

[QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]This would be the greatest news ever! Who the f@ck would care about the PS4 and NextBox if the next Smash Bros. released? I know I wouldn't. platniumgamer

Umm, me. o:

Me too.

You're perfect in every way.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RyanShazam
[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]The 3DS game is rumored to be holiday 2013, right?charizard1605

I hope they do a same day release :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"]The 3DS game is rumored to be holiday 2013, right?RyanShazam

Bad, bad, bad idea. The 3DS doesn't need much help anymore. The Wii U does.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RyanShazam
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Nintendo PR listed it as a 2013 game

They can push 3DS/WiiU compatibility.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
[QUOTE="RyanShazam"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"] I hope they do a same day release :)

Isn't that the whole idea? I'm fairly sure it will be a same day launch unless something goes terribly wrong.
MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

So, you want us to believe that a game we haven't seen, and was recently announced(january) that we would only get screenshots of it at E3 will magically be ready for a fall release.

"Smash Bros is a huge development undertaking and we need more time before it launches." Mr Sakurai told us that we have set the timing for the first screens at this years E3. Please wait for just a little longer.

Doesn't sound like a 2013 release to me. Pikmin 3 being delayed to have a fall 2013 release is more realistic at this point with wind waker port releasing in spring 2014.

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RyanShazam
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="RyanShazam"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Bad, bad, bad idea. The 3DS doesn't need much help anymore. The Wii U does.

Isn't that the whole idea? I'm fairly sure it will be a same day launch unless something goes terribly wrong.

That's what I thought. I'm pretty sure they will be different games which may warrant separate releases?
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I don't think it will make it. Delays loom.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

Super Smash Bros 3D might release this Holiday. But 4 on Wii U will not.

Nintendo will have Super Mario 3D and Mario Kart 8 playable at E3 so there is literally no chance of Smash on Wii U in 2013. If anything they will release Mario 3D in Novemebr and MK8 in December like 3DS got in 2011

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

So, you want us to believe that a game we haven't seen, and was recently announced(january) that we would only get screenshots of it at E3 will magically be ready for a fall release.

"Smash Bros is a huge development undertaking and we need more time before it launches." Mr Sakurai told us that we have set the timing for the first screens at this years E3. Please wait for just a little longer.

Doesn't sound like a 2013 release to me. Pikmin 3 being delayed to have a fall 2013 release is more realistic at this point with wind waker port releasing in spring 2014.

MFDOOM1983

Smash Bros was announced at E3 2012 I think and Sakurai has been saying he's been working on it since Kid Icarus wrapped around early 2012. That said, I'm sure the 3DS version is finishing first