Super Smash Bro's Wii-U Possibly DELAYED

#1 Edited by mexicangordo (8657 posts) -

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/07/report-bandai-namco-recruiting-smash-bros-game-coming-2015/

It could be a lot of things but its possible that Super Smash Bros Wii-U, possibly the most anticipated game for the system which had an original release date for 2014 will get delayed. The Reddit gang are freaking out.

Supposedly tomorrows direct is to soften the blow to such an announcement. But at this point anything is game, it could also mean a different game all together.

But in short, if this is true, the Wii-U would be in huge trouble this year.

#2 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

It will come when it's done. It doesn't really matter when. It's just nice knowing that Nintendo isn't going to rush it to the market in an unfinished state.

#3 Edited by charizard1605 (61590 posts) -

I highly doubt it. Especially given there is a Smash Bros. Direct tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, if true, Nintendo won't have a title for the back half of this year. They'll rush the Wii U Smash out if they have to and delay the 3DS version.

#4 Edited by lamprey263 (25582 posts) -

makes sense, I mean release Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros too close together and you basically blow your entire load for the year

#5 Posted by mexicangordo (8657 posts) -

@charizard1605: Ya, thats what I thought. But at the same time it wouldn't surprise me. Its Nintendo after all.

#6 Edited by mexicangordo (8657 posts) -

@lamprey263: Ya thats what some of the Reddit folks were saying too. They also assumed that the direct to morrow is more for damage control. Lots of people are in denial. I certainly hope its not true.

#7 Posted by charizard1605 (61590 posts) -

@mexicangordo said:

@charizard1605: Ya, thats what I thought. But at the same time it wouldn't surprise me. Its Nintendo after all.

Nintendo isn't averse to rushing a title if their system needs it- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land. I have no doubts that they'll ensure Smash releases this year, at least for the Wii U.

#8 Edited by charizard1605 (61590 posts) -

Nintendo's internal projections still have it dated for 2014:

#9 Posted by freedomfreak (43499 posts) -

That's okay. WiiU is packed this year anyways.

#10 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22619 posts) -

That'd be horrible if true. It would mean that the only big game for the wii u for the rest of the year is mario kart.

#11 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

That'd be horrible if true. It would mean that the only big game for the wii u for the rest of the year is mario kart.

Also Bayonetta and "A brand new title developed by MONOLITH SOFTWARE INC."

#12 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

He said big game. Bayonetta 2 and X will most likely be well reviewed games but won't do anything to move systems or generate a buzz in the mainstream. Mario Kart is going to push Wii U's for a couple months and Smash will most likely do the same.

#13 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9758 posts) -

If so, then Nintendo better have something big to show us at E3 come June. The Wii-U is not going to succeed with JUST Mario Kart 8. It will see a temporary sales boost, but, without at least one or two more major releases, that's all the Wii-U will see.

Of course, this might not even be true.

#14 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6634 posts) -

X is not coming out this year. No way in hell

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (61590 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

He said big game. Bayonetta 2 and X will most likely be well reviewed games but won't do anything to move systems or generate a buzz in the mainstream. Mario Kart is going to push Wii U's for a couple months and Smash will most likely do the same.

At this point, anything on Wii U is 'big name.'

#16 Edited by Ghost120x (4174 posts) -

Not surprised considering brawl was also delayed 2 times before it's release. (If I'm not mistaken)

Also Sakurai's shoulder problem might have slowed down development.

#17 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

Well, I really don't care about how many Wii U's a game is going to move. Bayonetta 2 and X are day one purchases for me. Smash is more of an afterthought that I might get down the line if I don't have anything else I'm wanting to play.

#18 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (1020 posts) -

It shouldn't be shocking to anyone If they did. Nintendo never releases a game unpolished.

#19 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9758 posts) -

@Ghost120x said:

Not surprised considering brawl was also delayed 2 times before it's release. (If I'm not mistaken)

Also Sakurai's shoulder problem might have slowed down development.

I think it was three.

#20 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11994 posts) -

Nonononononononono...no!

I bought a Wii U for Smash Bros, does this mean it'll be useless for another year?

#21 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (18630 posts) -

Makes you wonder what takes them so long to make these games.

#22 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7876 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I would imagine that it's pretty hard to make a well-balanced fighter with a roster of characters that have such different skillsets, not to mention sizes. Some companies take their time. Others rush games to the market and hope to fix them with patches/dlc.

#23 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3803 posts) -

@freedomfreak:

Stop it.

#24 Edited by super600 (31092 posts) -

Isn't this the Smash Bros 6 rumor?I don't think this applies to this game.

#25 Posted by princeofshapeir (15195 posts) -

If it's delayed then the Wii U will have lost its killer app for 2014. Nintendo can't afford that, SSB4 is a system seller.

#26 Posted by princeofshapeir (15195 posts) -

@TrappedInABox91 said:

It shouldn't be shocking to anyone If they did. Nintendo never releases a game unpolished.

But they released Brawl.

#27 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7511 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@FlamesOfGrey said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

At this point, anything on Wii U is 'big name.'

Definitely, for a small group of people on the internet. Bayonetta 2 is my most anticipated Wii U game. Actually Bayonetta 2 is the only Wii U game I'm looking forward to but let's be honest it has no weight outside of the internet in the real world except for maybe in Japan. X will be a little bit bigger because of Xenoblade but for how I expect it to score (8/9 out of 10), it's going to be undersold.

#28 Posted by TigerSuperman (3561 posts) -

That would be a disaster of large proportions. THe lack of, well, anything.... Has gotten people to lose the hyoe they originally had. Having a direct and then saying the game is delayed with only MK8 coming out on the horizon would deal a fatal blow that they will not be able to recover from. We would also know at that point, Iwata will make his departure.

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (43499 posts) -
@princessgomez92 said:

Stop it.

You disagree?

#30 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3803 posts) -

@freedomfreak:

Just stop it.

#31 Posted by freedomfreak (43499 posts) -
@princessgomez92 said:

Just stop it.

Seems the cow disagrees.

#32 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3989 posts) -

The one redeeming game...delayed? What's the point of buying a Wii U again? Better hope it's false or Iwata should be doing some coding work personally to catch up.

#33 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34321 posts) -

That'd be pretty disappointing if true.

#34 Edited by DocSanchez (2331 posts) -

All those people who write off the third party. Where are they now? Because this shit wouldn't matter if you had it.

#35 Edited by princeofshapeir (15195 posts) -

G-get ready for April 8th...

#36 Posted by Bardock47 (5370 posts) -
@DocSanchez said:

All those people who write off the third party. Where are they now? Because this shit wouldn't matter if you had it.

People write off the third party? I'm a nintendo fan, but I'm still upset that the third party on is barren.

#37 Posted by DocSanchez (2331 posts) -

@Bardock47: Some do. It's mostly on Nintendo fan sites but even on here people do. The poster @IMAHAPYHIPPO said he doesn't even bother with or rate the whole third party just yesterday, and guess who he was arguing in favour of?

#38 Posted by IamAdorable (407 posts) -

I hope not. I need my Smash Bros fill this year. Guess we'll find out tomorrow, that is, if we'll get a release date at all.

#39 Posted by DocSanchez (2331 posts) -

@princeofshapeir: He will be committing seppuku if Smash Bros is delayed once the reactions of the fanboys come out.

#40 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

Not surprised. If anyone else remembers (I certainly do) Brawl was delayed three or four times before it was released. It was painstaking for me with Brawl but right now there are plenty of other games to occupy my time.

#41 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2733 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@Bardock47: Some do. It's mostly on Nintendo fan sites but even on here people do. The poster @IMAHAPYHIPPO said he doesn't even bother with or rate the whole third party just yesterday, and guess who he was arguing in favour of?

I never said the entirety of third party, just most. Developers like Rockstar, Rocksteady, Kojima's studio at Konami (I think it's just called Kojima Studios), a few of the Ubisoft teams will always catch my interest, but third party titles as a whole is not something I'm missing on my Wii U. I grew incredibly bored of third parties by the end of the last console generation, as they all felt like the same game over and over again. I think in the last two years (end of 2011-end of 2013), the only third party game I was truly excited about was GTA 5. Everything else I enjoyed was a console exclusive in some capacity.

I have my PS4 for the few multiplatforms I'll be interested in, but as far as Wii U is concerned, I bought the little bastard for Nintendo games, and the more third parties disappear, the more exclusives -- hopefully -- Nintendo will be forced to release.

To be clear, I mostly feel the same way about the Xbox One and the PS4. I wouldn't mind if 80% of the third party games didn't release on anything. A lot of it is just filler between the truly exciting titles.

#42 Posted by inb4uall (6515 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

The fact that their games are actually high quality? Smash bros has near endless replayability.

#43 Edited by KBFloYd (14675 posts) -

article says smash bros 6?

wtf...

maybe a smash bros spinoff game?

#44 Edited by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -

sew watt?

#45 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (1020 posts) -

@princeofshapeir: Brawl was delayed quite a while...

#46 Edited by kingjazziephiz (2461 posts) -

@Locutus_Picard: delays aren't a bad thing though.

#47 Posted by DocSanchez (2331 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: Whether you said all or most the opinion is laughable as it always is when Wii U fans claim they don't care about the whole of the third party. The majority of the business written off because it's not Nintendo and their thin set of current franchises.

#48 Edited by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@FlamesOfGrey said:

He said big game. Bayonetta 2 and X will most likely be well reviewed games but won't do anything to move systems or generate a buzz in the mainstream.

Which is why the mainstream is shit.

#49 Posted by DocSanchez (2331 posts) -

@Pffrbt: The bitterness.

#50 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

@Pffrbt: The bitterness.

Why would I not be bitter about the fact that some of the best games ever made struggle to sell while generic, mindless pap like Tomb Raider and God of War sell millions.