Super Mario 64 vs Super Mario Galaxy

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 7 months, 11 days ago

Poll: Super Mario 64 vs Super Mario Galaxy (87 votes)

Super Mario 64 40%
Super Mario Galaxy 60%

Who wins?

#1 Edited by freedomfreak (37955 posts) -

Only delusional microsoft xbot shills vote for Super Mario 64.

#2 Edited by Zassimick (6110 posts) -

Super Mario 64

I am THE delusional Microsoft Xbot shill.

But seriously, Super Mario Galaxy was a lot better. Maybe not as revolutionary, but it is one of the most fun, polished games released.

#3 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Mario 64.

#4 Edited by Chozofication (2668 posts) -

This is like comparing horse and buggy to a sports car.

Not that I can't still enjoy the hell out of good old Mario 64!

I have to say that 3D world looks shit and isn't comparable to any of the 3D mario games, I will wait for the real 3D mario for Wii U.

#5 Posted by Lucianu (9282 posts) -

Who do you think wins? What are your thoughts on them, i'm curious to know.

As for the poll, hell, i'll just list my top 5 favorite mario platforming games that i've played from best to.. least best.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Super Mario 64 > Super Mario World.

Playing Super Mario World (SNES) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) side by side, i can easily feel that the controls in 3 are a little more tight, they feel a little better. I've played them extensively just to be sure it's not my imagination, and it's not. They kind of screwed up that vibe in the remake (All-Stars), so the NES one is the ace. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island on the other hand.. is my favorite 2D platformer of all times.

#6 Posted by Renegade_Fury (16933 posts) -

Galaxy, duh. 64 sucks ass compared to it.

#7 Posted by hiphops_savior (7631 posts) -

Super Mario 64 has the bigger impact, minus the POS camera angles.

Super Mario Galaxy has surpassed SM64, and SMG2 surpassed SMG, becoming the new standard for all 3d platformers.

#8 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25706 posts) -

Mario Galaxy. Ages ago, I would have said 64, but... you can ask Shinobishyguy on how that went. :P

#9 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24096 posts) -

I can't give an honest Opinion.

Super Mario 64 was great and so was Mario Galaxy.

and both of them have the same amount of stars to obtain so it's not like choosing one or the other would hinder my playing options.

#10 Edited by Zassimick (6110 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

Playing Super Mario World (SNES) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) side by side, i can easily feel that the controls in 3 are a little more tight, they feel a little better. I've played them extensively just to be sure it's not my imagination, and it's not. They kind of screwed up that vibe in the remake (All-Stars), so the NES one is the ace.

I don't see many other peoplle who prefer SMB3 to SMW. We are an elite few.

#11 Posted by Suppaman100 (3507 posts) -

SM64 had much more impact.

#12 Posted by Seabas989 (9925 posts) -

Easily it's SMG.

#13 Posted by foxhound_fox (86589 posts) -

Like comparing Driver to Driver: San Francisco. One is extremely primitive and foundational, the other is extraordinarily well-made, well-thought out and ground-breaking in terms of design.

#14 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8525 posts) -

Back in the day Mario 64 was revolutionary as a 3D game, but now I consider it somewhat poor as a platformer.

I found Mario Galaxy to be a bit stronger in its genre and Mario Galaxy 2 just clean blew its predecessor out of the water.

In any case Super Mario 3D World is, so far, the perfection of 3D Mario. It's creative, but most of all, it's level design is far stronger than any of its predecessors. It's tight, challenging, and has purpose at all times. It's the new genre leader and gives some of the best 2D platformers a run for their money (I usually consider 2D platformers to be better than 3D platformers in most cases)

#15 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11345 posts) -

Halo 2: Combat Warfare

#16 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10142 posts) -

How about they both suck

#17 Posted by Lucianu (9282 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

Playing Super Mario World (SNES) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) side by side, i can easily feel that the controls in 3 are a little more tight, they feel a little better. I've played them extensively just to be sure it's not my imagination, and it's not. They kind of screwed up that vibe in the remake (All-Stars), so the NES one is the ace.

I don't see many other peoplle who prefer SMB3 to SMW. We are an elite few.

Cool. Always felt that way even before bothering to check the consensus on both them games. Probably going to replay both now for the millionth time just because of this thread.

#18 Posted by Lucianu (9282 posts) -

Halo 2: Combat Warfare

That face is awesome, disturbing and weird as fuck. I always wanted you to know that ..

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (86589 posts) -
#20 Edited by R4gn4r0k (15868 posts) -

How about they both suck

How about your taste in games sucks ?

#21 Posted by AHUGECAT (8967 posts) -

Super Mario 64 unfortunately did not age very well. It's very, very, very easy, and the camera sucks. Such a revolutionary game however, and still somewhat fun. Super Mario Galaxy has the benefit of Nintendo having more 3D experience, and it just seemed like their peak in creativity.

Super Mario Galaxy > Super Mario 64.

#22 Posted by Lucianu (9282 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

How about they both suck

I actually do remember him before he started this trolling illiterate hipster persona of his. He was a good poster, then he either lost his damned mind or the original guy stopped posting and someone els is using his account now.

#23 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8525 posts) -

I have to say that 3D world looks shit and isn't comparable to any of the 3D mario games, I will wait for the real 3D mario for Wii U.

You are doing yourself one of the biggest disservices by skipping 3D world. From a design stand point it is by and large the best 3D Mario ever created. EAD Tokyo continue to perfect their craft. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Sure the Galaxies were creative and had great spectacle, but in terms of level design they weren't quite as excellent as they could be. Don't get me wrong, the level designs were still superb, but I felt they could have been a little more precise and tighter. Mario 3D World has a little less spectacle, but nails the level design in a way the Galaxy games never did. It's more precise, challenging, rewarding, and yet still manages to be incredibly creative and fresh.

#24 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

Who do you think wins? What are your thoughts on them, i'm curious to know.

As for the poll, hell, i'll just list my top 5 favorite mario platforming games that i've played from best to.. least best.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 > Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island > Super Mario Bros. 3 > Super Mario 64 > Super Mario World.

Playing Super Mario World (SNES) and Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) side by side, i can easily feel that the controls in 3 are a little more tight, they feel a little better. I've played them extensively just to be sure it's not my imagination, and it's not. They kind of screwed up that vibe in the remake (All-Stars), so the NES one is the ace. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island on the other hand.. is my favorite 2D platformer of all times.

Well, I haven't really played 64 since I was a kid, but I remember how "open" it felt and I just really loved the presentation (i.e. the castle, jumping into paintings, size of levels, and music). I also much preferred the n64 controller. I could never get used to nunchuck.

#25 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (6787 posts) -

I couldn't get into Mario 64 like I did Galaxy. Though 64 had more impact on the industry, I enjoyed Galaxy far more.

#26 Posted by R4gn4r0k (15868 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

How about they both suck

I actually do remember him before he started this trolling illiterate hipster persona of his. He was a good poster, then he either lost his damned mind or the original guy stopped posting and someone els is using his account now.

Yup, he wasn't always like this. His posting was in the same line, but not like this. Nowadays he'll hate every game that has the least bit of color in them, how silly.

#27 Posted by 1oh1nine1 (779 posts) -

Love both, but gotta give it to 64. When you jumped into a painting in 64 and picked a star to go for, you had a whole level to explore. When you flew to a galaxy and picked a star to go for, you had a very specific path to that star.

#28 Posted by Sword-Demon (6847 posts) -

I couldn't get into SMG like I could with SM64. I think it's because SMG's levels are much more linear than SM64's

#29 Posted by foxhound_fox (86589 posts) -

Love both, but gotta give it to 64. When you jumped into a painting in 64 and picked a star to go for, you had a whole level to explore. When you flew to a galaxy and picked a star to go for, you had a very specific path to that star.

Not sure why people have such big nostalgia about 64. The "exploration" is not conducive to a good platformer... it's conducive to a good action-adventure. Platforming has always been about traversing a set path, or a group of paths, as fast and efficiently as possible. Not about wandering around aimlessly looking for secrets.

All I have for 64 now is nostalgia. Some of the later levels are really boring and poorly designed. It's only those first 5-6 that really strike me as memorable.

#30 Posted by Ghost120x (3604 posts) -

Mario 64 was better to me. It was moving the series forward in the 3D adventure realm with freedom and exploration, but galaxy de-evolved by going with the linear experience much like the 2D Mario games. If I wanted to play smaller scale levels in short bursts I can just stick to the 2d Mario games for that.

64 was a unique revolution for 3D Mario games but Nintendo wants the 3d Mario games to sell like the 2D ones (see 3d world) instead of perfecting a true 3d adventure game genre.

#31 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Only delusional microsoft xbot shills vote for Super Mario 64.

I vote for Super Mario 64.

It just felt like a so-much-better adventure to play through that I did it probably a dozen times.

Super Mario Galaxy? Never could bring myself to finish it.......

#32 Posted by Blabadon (25098 posts) -

One must have absolutely shitty taste in video games if they were to say Super Mario 64. Even the great DS remake can't put that game in the shadows of Galaxy 1 and 2. The best levels in 64 (which were mostly in the remake only) would be inferior to the least fun levels in the original Galaxy.

#33 Edited by Chozofication (2668 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

You are doing yourself one of the biggest disservices by skipping 3D world. From a design stand point it is by and large the best 3D Mario ever created. EAD Tokyo continue to perfect their craft. I cannot emphasize this enough.

Sure the Galaxies were creative and had great spectacle, but in terms of level design they weren't quite as excellent as they could be. Don't get me wrong, the level designs were still superb, but I felt they could have been a little more precise and tighter. Mario 3D World has a little less spectacle, but nails the level design in a way the Galaxy games never did. It's more precise, challenging, rewarding, and yet still manages to be incredibly creative and fresh.

You seem like a cool guy, but you also think Skyward sword is a masterpiece, lol.

I can tell 3D world is an incredibly safe, family friendly MP focused Mario game. It's a Mario game for people who find traditional 3D mario too complicated, casuals. That and EAD is STILL getting used to HD development, which is the second purpose of the game, for their experience. It's overly flashy and post processed and soft looking in general. HD galaxy with more polygons, updated lighting and higher res textures would look MILES better. Now Pikmin 3, that is a beautiful Wii U game.

I have no doubt that this game is just filler and a traditional 3D Mario game will be coming sooner or later. I would play the game and enjoy it for sure, I just don't want to buy it or have in my collection. I'll still play it at some point.

#34 Posted by charizard1605 (54089 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy easily clowns Super Mario 64. 64 was great, but it lost so much of what made Mario Mario in the jump to 3D. Sunshine was a trainwreck, and it wasn't until Super Mario Galaxy that we started returning to the Mario of old.

In my opinion, here is how I would rank the 3D Mario titles:

Super Mario Galaxy 2>Super Mario 3D Land>Super Mario Galaxy>Super Mario 64>Super Mario Sunshine

Opinion on 3D World pending completion

#35 Posted by Chozofication (2668 posts) -

@1oh1nine1 said:

Not sure why people have such big nostalgia about 64.

Because it's the most important 3D game ever made, basically. That moment of coming out of the pipe outside the castle to no music, just birds chirping and rushing water was pure magic.

It is verrry dated and you're right about the later levels losing that magic. I could still get a kick out of playing it though.

#36 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3965 posts) -

Super Mario Galaxy is the Ocarina of Time of the Mario franchise. It really took Mario into 3d how it was supposed to be. Mario 64 was a decent action adventure game that was smashed by Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie which are the premier adventure platformers on the N64.

Saying that 64 was better because "exploration" is just ridiculous, mario is not about exploration it's about platforming and level design which is what Galaxy/Galaxy 2/3d world are all about.

#37 Posted by Blabadon (25098 posts) -

Any time anyone compares the exploration of 64 and the Galaxies make me wonder if they ever played the first Galaxy. The levels there are pretty open to be explored. Galaxy 2 showed how archaic that feels in a platformer.

#38 Posted by Jolt_counter119 (3965 posts) -

It's a Mario game for people who find traditional 3D mario too complicated, casuals .

Wow, you're delusional.

#39 Posted by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -

I should probably play Galaxy some day.

#40 Posted by Lucianu (9282 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

One must have absolutely shitty taste in video games if they were to say Super Mario 64. Even the great DS remake can't put that game in the shadows of Galaxy 1 and 2. The best levels in 64 (which were mostly in the remake only) would be inferior to the least fun levels in the original Galaxy.

Can't see in what way the DS remake is great, considering how bad the controls are. Mario 64 wasn't designed to be controlled in any other way than with a analog stick.

#41 Posted by Blabadon (25098 posts) -

It's like Skyrim and inverted control put into pure unadulterated doses of dopamine seeping into your veins, minus the shittiness of Skyrim and inverted controls.

#42 Posted by Chozofication (2668 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

It's a Mario game for people who find traditional 3D mario too complicated, casuals .

Wow, you're delusional.

What's more easy to pick up and play, a game which you can move in two directions, or Mario 64?

3D land and now 3D world are there to bridge that gap between 2D and 3D mario.

#43 Edited by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@mems_1224 said:

It's like Skyrim and inverted control put into pure unadulterated doses of dopamine seeping into your veins, minus the shittiness of Skyrim and inverted controls.

lmfao so its basically the complete opposite of the history of the Detroit Lions? Sold.

#44 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3202 posts) -

Both are masterpieces, but Galaxy is more masterpieceful.

#45 Posted by Blabadon (25098 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@Blabadon said:

Can't see in what way the DS remake is great, considering how bad the controls are. Mario 64 wasn't designed to be controlled in any other way than with a analog stick.

To be honest, I've never been one who's complained about D-pads vs analogs too much in games that aren't too twitchy, but I know what you mean. It was better on the 3DS, but it still doesn't feel natural.

The biggest problem (SIN) with 64's movements on both the 64 and DS is the snaking. You know, when you can't face backwards and then flip moving forwards. Instead, there's this small U-shaped movement that goes on that makes corner running and turning annoying as all hell.

I swear Galaxy somehow makes movement fun, which is a testament for how perfect of games those games are.

#46 Edited by Jolt_counter119 (3965 posts) -

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@Chozofication said:

Wow, you're delusional.

What's more easy to pick up and play, a game which you can move in two directions, or Mario 64?

I find Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 to be much harder than 64. Yet it's irrelevant, Mario has, is, and always will be the quintessential casual franchise. Maybe 64 was somewhat difficult when I first played it...when I was 7. Mario is made for casuals yet still manages to add difficulty in the extra levels.

That's how it always was and 3d World is not different. I would say the only difficult thing about 64's platforming were it's camera and controls. The difficulty comes from the exploration and figuring out what to do, which is not mario at all.

#47 Edited by Blabadon (25098 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@mems_1224 said:

lmfao so its basically the complete opposite of the history of the Detroit Lions? Sold.

Case Keenum

#48 Posted by mems_1224 (45633 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Blabadon said:

@mems_1224 said:

Case Keenum

Is amazing

#49 Posted by Blabadon (25098 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@mems_1224 said:

@Blabadon said:

@mems_1224 said:

Case Keenum

Is amazing

Man, I remember when you folks had standards

#50 Edited by Chozofication (2668 posts) -

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@Chozofication said:

@Jolt_counter119 said:

@Chozofication said:

Wow, you're delusional.

I find Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 to be much harder than 64. Yet it's irrelevant, Mario has, is, and always will be the quintessential casual franchise. Maybe 64 was somewhat difficult when I first played it...when I was 7. Mario is made for casuals yet still manages to add difficulty in the extra levels.

That's how it always was and 3d World is not different. I would say the only difficult thing about 64's platforming were it's camera and controls. The difficulty comes from the exploration and figuring out what to do, which is not mario at all.

Mario is not for casuals, it's for everyone. If it was just for casuals, they wouldn't have those difficulty spikes like you mention. And I didn't mean Mario 64 specifically, but all 3D mario games. Super Mario galaxy has that same foundation, as does sunshine. just how you move about in those games, compared to a 2D game is much more complicated.

Let's say someone hasn't touched a game in their life, what would be easier - again, moving side to side, or moving in all directions on a 3D plane? This is what I mean. The fixed camera angle's and very constrained gameplay of 3D world is there to bridge that gap, and the levels are designed for multiple players. The game also brings back running because it's more like the 2D games than the traditional 3D games. The entire game is designed to bridge this gap, and it's also multiplayer focused.

Like I said I would still enjoy it a lot i'm sure, but i'll be waiting for the real 3D Mario.