Super Mario 3D World hits 1m sales, Knack and Lighting sink

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

http://playeressence.com/super-mario-3d-world-sales-break-past-1-million-while-knack-and-lighting-returns-sink/

"As of now, Super Mario 3D World has sold more than 327,514 units in Japan. VGChartz has tracked the game at 1.02 million units sold, not counting digital. Super Mario 3D World ranked 8th in the Tsutaya Charts from Sunday. So we know it probably sold an excess of 60,000 units plus in this week’s Media Create Charts. Lighting Returns Final Fantasy 13 has completely dropped out of the top 20. At this point, the game has sold around 373,592 units the last time it charted. That means Super Mario 3D World has probably already passed up Lighting Returns. What makes this more impressive is the Wii U’s install base is only around 1.5 million compared to the almost 10 million owners of the PS3 in Japan."

"I scoffed at people making such a big deal about Mario’s opening day sales in Japan. It’s not how you start, it’s about how you finish. On top of that, Super Mario 3D World is one of the most downloaded games on the Wii U eShop due to the Digital Deluxe program and small file size. Funny how all those sites forgot to mention that."

"Next, we have ‘Knack outselling Super Mario 3D World’ headlines. This was based on zero numbers other than a position chart where the officials are too scared to show the data, in fear of people mocking how insignificant the market is. I’ve heard MyNintendoNews say the UK is the biggest market in Europe. Is that so? Well if they’re ‘so big,’ why don’t they show off their console and software numbers like the Media Create? The UK is irrelevant without the rest of Europe. And Knack is getting crushed by Super Mario 3D World now, there is no comparison. Knack has sold less than 400,000 units, and has completely fallen off the global video games sales charts. While Super Mario 3D World is constantly racking up triple digit sales, in addition to topping the eShop charts. Where are all the headlines now?"

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

You're lucky I'm not locking this thread because that site quotes vgchartz as a source. It's obviously that super mario 3d world would crush knack worldwide in sales.More people are interested in that game compared to knack.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Mario games have legs for years.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

Knack - that fail attempt of trying to be a Pixar movie style game

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

lolVGChartz (although I fully believe Mario 3D World will outsell Knack, and hell, maybe even Shadow Fall, in the long run)

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

I think I am one of the only people alive who likes Knack. But Super Mario 3D will sale decent for the next 2 years. You won't even be able to find Knack in 2 years. And if you do it will be in a Gamestop DVD Case in the bargain Bin for $2.99.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@timbers_WSU said:

I think I am one of the only people alive who likes Knack. But Super Mario 3D will sale decent for the next 2 years. You won't even be able to find Knack in 2 years. And if you do it will be in a Gamestop DVD Case in the bargain Bin for $2.99.

That's because great games hold on to their value really well.

Super Mario 3D World is a great game, and I believe the beginning of a minor Wii U resurgence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Good to know FF is sales flopping.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@super600 said:

You're lucky I'm not locking this thread because that site quotes vgchartz as a source. It's obviously that super mario 3d world would crush knack worldwide in sales.More people are interested in that game compared to knack.

Why would you lock it because it quotes VGC? Do you have a better source for numbers that I don't know about?

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Yeah and transformers raked in millions at the box office while better movies sunk. Just because you create a product that is created with the lowest common denominator in mind doesn't make it a good product.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41525 Posts

@Gargus said:

Yeah and transformers raked in millions at the box office while better movies sunk. Just because you create a product that is created with the lowest common denominator in mind doesn't make it a good product.

Problem with that mix is that Transformers got mediocre to low reviews, while 3D World received really high reception.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Gargus said:

Are you seriously comparing Mario 3D World to trash like Transformers? Lawl, never change Gargus.

And have a very happy new year =)

Dilrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Dilrod
Member since 2003 • 4257 Posts

Couple of things here..

Its Mario.. it damn well better outsell knack.

Knack, sold less than 400,000 units.. but less than 400,000 playstation 4's have been sold in this area... duh.. big red truck...

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 super600  Moderator

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@super600 said:

Why would you lock it because it quotes VGC? Do you have a better source for numbers that I don't know about?

If the TC links vgchartz as the only source for the numbers he got the thread will be instantly locked.The tc bypassed this by linking to another site that used vgchartz as a source, but also used other sources.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

No brained 3d world would outsell and will end up being one of the highest selling titles this gen.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

@mrintro said:

No brained 3d world would outsell and will end up being one of the highest selling titles this gen.

Lets not get to carried away shall we.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

thats kinda normal when that the only good exclusive game on Wii U

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

@muffin2020 said:

@mrintro said:

Lets not get to carried away shall we.

Carried away? Super Mario 3D Land has sold at least 8 million copies, and that came out back when the 3ds barely had any games.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#21 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

Why are people still using VGChartz? You'd think people wouldn't use a site that is known for using fake numbers and making things up. Real sales data isn't available readily and easily like that; heck, on real NPD's the best most people can get are estimates.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

Lol VGchartz

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i saw vgchartz...stopped reading

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Wow... A brand new generation and fanboys are STILL using Vgchartz. lol.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

Lol wut? SM3DW if it actually sold one million, w would see some noticeable movement of Wii u units.

Oh Vgchartz..

Jakandsigzgames dai the Ouya sold 10 millio by novemember, and Xbox and PS4 sales hit a stale mate, we quote reggie "stalement" thus it is true data.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#27 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

wiiu sold 312k xmas week , that's movement , it sold more then xbox one ,

and I warned everyone who kept saying when xbox one and ps4 come out wiiu is dead, you dont count out Nintendo , they may not out sell ps4 but they have something that will,

that is Nintendo 3ds!

with the handheld , Nintendo doesn't need to do much but sit there and make the games they make and wiiu will pick up remember we still got mariokart 8 dkc5 and other heavy hitters

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

Its most likely over a million by now. It should be at about 400k in Japan and It should of had atleast another 200k minimum in the states so 200k for the remainging portion of the world isn't unlikely.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Why does it really matter? Anyone with a brain knows that Nintendo games have legs for years, and Mario games stay on sale and still sell so long as the console is still on the shelf in the store.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@mariokart64fan said:

wiiu sold 312k xmas week , that's movement , it sold more then xbox one ,

Lol Vgchartz.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

@super600 said:

Since when have we started locking threads on the sole basis that it quotes vgzchartz?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

Super Mario 3D World is a great game, and I believe the beginning of a minor Wii U resurgence.

Bullshit....COD games stay close to full price long after release. COD BlackOps2 is still close to $50. Other GOTY /high scoring games go down in price very fast. Nintendo 1st party games always stay up in price whether they are good or not.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

Lol wut? SM3DW if it actually sold one million, w would see some noticeable movement of Wii u units.

Oh Vgchartz..

Jakandsigzgames dai the Ouya sold 10 millio by novemember, and Xbox and PS4 sales hit a stale mate, we quote reggie "stalement" thus it is true data.

how would u see movement stupid, are u outside stores looking at shoppers lol

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

Super Mario 3d world isn't all its cracked up to be. It is a decent game at best. The difficulty is absurdly low for a vast majority of the levels. I was able to play through the game without even really paying attention in most of the levels. This is from someone who started in the NES era, so take it how you will.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@schu said:

Super Mario 3d world isn't all its cracked up to be. It is a decent game at best. The difficulty is absurdly low for a vast majority of the levels. I was able to play through the game without even really paying attention in most of the levels. This is from someone who started in the NES era, so take it how you will.

I've been playing since the NES too, and personally I don't find any of the 3D Mario games particularly challenging, but I still find it fun to play through. But I agree, I do think Mario 3D World is the easiest 3D Mario game - ironically I think it probably has the single hardest level between all the 3D Mario games though: Champion Road).

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36  Edited By GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Stopped reading at vgchart.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 super600  Moderator

@verbtex said:

@super600 said:

Since when have we started locking threads on the sole basis that it quotes vgzchartz?

I'm talking about threads that post sales data from vgchartz with no source. Maybe vgchartz will be banned as a source one day on SW.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

Bullshit....COD games stay close to full price long after release. COD BlackOps2 is still close to $50. Other GOTY /high scoring games go down in price very fast. Nintendo 1st party games always stay up in price whether they are good or not.

False. Metroid: Other M, Pilotwings Resort, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, just off the top of my head, all games that plummeted in value because they all bombed, because they weren't all that great.

Nintendo games sell over a long period of time, and almost always this is because of the quality (some of them, like Wii Play or whatever, sell in spite of their quality), but my statement generally holds true.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hotdiddykong

The real heavy emphasis here is how easy it is for people to shit up negative articles on Nintendo too early and dont even make up for it

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60702 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

False. Metroid: Other M, Pilotwings Resort, The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, just off the top of my head, all games that plummeted in value because they all bombed, because they weren't all that great.

Nintendo games sell over a long period of time, and almost always this is because of the quality (some of them, like Wii Play or whatever, sell in spite of their quality), but my statement generally holds true.

Nope and thus I'm right. :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@timbers_WSU said:

Nope and thus I'm right. :D

Lol, fine then :P

Happy new year, bro =)

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hotdiddykong

bump

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@hotdiddykong said:

bump

Why bump this? It's using VGChartz as a source and it's about being excited that a Mario game is going to outsell a new IP that wasn't rated very well.