Sunset Overdrive Mixes Platforming And Shooting (Updated)

#251 Posted by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

Please don't turn the forum's glorious Sunset thread into fanboy wars. If you have information about the game please post it here.

Save your saltines for some other thread and drink more Overcharge Delirium xl.

-Fizzie

#252 Edited by Bigboi500 (31570 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@clone01 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

The game's going to suck fat ones.

Why do you say that?

Don't like the art style. We've also seen more than enough of these kinds of sandbox games and zombie games. It seems like it's trying to be a Saint's Row clone also, which I can't stand.

Fair enough, but just because you don't like the art style and the subject matter doesn't necessarily mean it won't be a decent title. Also, I don't really get the Saint's Row comparison.

The outrageous over-the-top characters and general wackiness I saw in the trailers remind me of Saint's Row for some reason.

#253 Edited by sts106mat (20628 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

Please don't turn the forum's glorious Sunset thread into fanboy wars. If you have information about the game please post it here.

Save your saltines for some other thread and drink more Overcharge Delirium xl.

-Fizzie

LOL did you see Major nelson having go at fizzie on twitter the other day? I reckon the marketing for this game will be interesting if nothing else.

#254 Posted by hehe101 (677 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@killzowned24 said:

@Heil68 said:

@kuu2 said:

@slaves said:

I'm really interested to see what kind of multiplayer and/or co-op it will have.

Pretty sure it is co-op based on a tweet from the Sunset OD account but I could be wrong.

Nope...bummer

Link

Sorry, co-op fans. The campaign mode for Ratchet & Clank developer Insomniac Games' upcoming Xbox One exclusive, Sunset Overdrive, will be a single-player-only affair, the developer has confirmed.

"There is a single-player campaign for one-player only," reads a recent tweet from the official Sunset Overdrive Twitter account (spotted by TotalXbox). However, Sunset Overdrive will also have a multiplayer mode, which the developer teased will have some "unique things" to offer. No other details are available about the game's single- or multiplayer modes.

xbone is too weak for it as its already sub 1080p and its 4k bullshots look worse than infamous.

Well there is co-op in DR3, I'm thinking Insomniac just didn't want to do it. I am curious what the MP mode will be though. It would be cool to do something like L4D and do vs mode against players playing the monsters. Maybe at E3 they'll let us know.

Pretty sure the multiplayer was shown in the first video they released with other characters running around aswell, looks really interesting no need to compare it to infamous either people ^^

#255 Edited by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

Artist rendering of more enemies.

#256 Posted by Heil68 (48241 posts) -

^^ I was hoping for a large assortment of enemies, looks like they are well on their way!

#257 Edited by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

@hehe101 said:

@Heil68 said:

Well there is co-op in DR3, I'm thinking Insomniac just didn't want to do it. I am curious what the MP mode will be though. It would be cool to do something like L4D and do vs mode against players playing the monsters. Maybe at E3 they'll let us know.

Pretty sure the multiplayer was shown in the first video they released with other characters running around aswell, looks really interesting no need to compare it to infamous either people ^^

The main character is not the guy that is being demoed. You can customize your character to your liking including gender, hair, clothing, colors, and so on. The main character also doesn't have a name.

#259 Posted by hehe101 (677 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

@hehe101 said:

@Heil68 said:

The main character is not the guy that is being demoed. You can customize your character to your liking including gender, hair, clothing, colors, and so on. The main character also doesn't have a name.

Really? I thought he was the character for the single player aspect of the game? Sounds even better now!

#260 Posted by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

@hehe101 said:

@kuu2 said:

@hehe101 said:

Really? I thought he was the character for the single player aspect of the game? Sounds even better now!

Yeah, that is the standard character but you can change it up from what Insomniac was saying.

#262 Edited by GravityX (865 posts) -

This game looks very cool.

Just by an Xbox One and play one of the freshes games around.

#263 Edited by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

@GravityX:

Awesome!

#264 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2462 posts) -

Covering up low detail with particle effect and explosion. Art is like forcing ratchet style into tween disney world, unfortunate.This game look like would be fun in co op mode however, have they announce if whole story can play co op?

#265 Edited by magicalclick (24250 posts) -

Lol, I chuckled at Next Gen Respawning. And some of those mutants seems to a doing wacky dance, tahaha. Gotta love the non-seriousness of this game. Pew pew pew. Can't wait.

#266 Edited by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

@Mr-Kutaragi said:

Covering up low detail with particle effect and explosion. Art is like forcing ratchet style into tween disney world, unfortunate.This game look like would be fun in co op mode however, have they announce if whole story can play co op?

#267 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3998 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@kuu2 said:

@slaves said:

I'm really interested to see what kind of multiplayer and/or co-op it will have.

Pretty sure it is co-op based on a tweet from the Sunset OD account but I could be wrong.

Nope...bummer

Link

Sorry, co-op fans. The campaign mode for Ratchet & Clank developer Insomniac Games' upcoming Xbox One exclusive, Sunset Overdrive, will be a single-player-only affair, the developer has confirmed.

That's a good thing, too many co-op shooters coming out and FUSE didnt set the world on fire either.

#268 Edited by cooolio (551 posts) -

@gago-gago said:

On the side note, Sunset Overdrive isn't an open world game but it looks like you aren't restricted. Traversing and climbing buildings in Infamous use to be fun but they dumbed it down and you need to use powers to climb now, and they made it a chore. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pzCjYJn8Gmk

Anyway nice to see something fresh like Sunset Overdrive.

Umm... it is open world.

#269 Edited by GravityX (865 posts) -

Box Art

#270 Edited by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

@GravityX: I will petition a mod so that I can add it to the the thread ar the beginning.

Thanks you are awesome!

#271 Edited by SolidTy (46183 posts) -

@cooolio said:

@gago-gago said:

On the side note, Sunset Overdrive isn't an open world game but it looks like you aren't restricted. Traversing and climbing buildings in Infamous use to be fun but they dumbed it down and you need to use powers to climb now, and they made it a chore. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pzCjYJn8Gmk

Anyway nice to see something fresh like Sunset Overdrive.

Umm... it is open world.

Yes that's what I read. Regarding this new game from Insomniac, it looks like one of their previous games, a Ratchet and Clank game. It's a R&C game set in a Dead Rising type universe. I've watched a LOT of trailers and vids, and it looks like it could have been the next Ratchet game: Zombie Planet. To me, that's great as I proudly own all the games as they were a blast. Check out Metacritic on the main titles if you don't know their quality.

If you want something fresh, has swinging around, great innovative weapons, and platforming...you don't have to wait. I would recommend Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time or Tools of Destruction.

You can go back and check that series out. R&C mix platforming and shooting. They are great (the main outings) and I'm sure Sunset will be as well. I'll get Sunset for my Xbone assuming it's as good as Ratchet.

#272 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Box Art

Yeah, this game is gonna flop. Lems are gonna go straight past it direct for Halo 2 rehash.

@GravityX said:

After Infamous Second Son those particle effects look very limp.

#273 Posted by cooolio (551 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@GravityX said:

Box Art

Yeah, this game is gonna flop. Lems are gonna go straight past it direct for Halo 2 rehash.

@GravityX said:

After Infamous Second Son those particle effects look very limp.

Well, you are entitled to you opinion. But still, yours is based purely on personal feelings and a child fan boy war mentality., or maybe your just joking. Both games have their strengths. I would say that Infamous SS is more about its powers than anything else. This is why there is not really any npcs that you can interact with or world that offers much else to do besides fly around and use your powers. It is fun to use said powers, but that is the main focus of the game. Now I could be wrong, but SSO seems to have a world that is your playground, but will also offer npcs and factions that bring more to the game besides the constant enemy destruction

#274 Posted by groowagon (3118 posts) -

the gameplay is going to be as generic as Second Son's. 8/10.

#275 Edited by GravityX (865 posts) -

How many PS4 owners buying an Xbox One for Sunset Overdrive?

Supersized pic

#276 Edited by Heil68 (48241 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Supersized pic

I bought my Xbone ahead of time, partly because of this game.

#277 Posted by GravityX (865 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@GravityX said:

Supersized pic

Awesome.

Have you played any other Xbox One games?

#279 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11404 posts) -

i'm interested in seeing more gameplay come E3

#280 Posted by foxhound_fox (91104 posts) -

If I had disposable income, I'd buy a Bone for this.

#281 Posted by Heil68 (48241 posts) -

@GravityX said:

@Heil68 said:

@GravityX said:

Supersized pic

Awesome.

Have you played any other Xbox One games?

Yup, TitanFall, DR3, Forza5 and Ryse and Tomb Raider Definite edition. I also have Peggle 2 and Spartan Assault for Live games.

#282 Edited by GravityX (865 posts) -

Damn, pretty cool.

I'm going to pick up DR3 soon.

How did you like Ryse? I liked it best after playing it on Legendary.

#283 Edited by noodlevixen (480 posts) -

Looks delicious! Can't wait.

#284 Edited by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Supersized pic

MMMMM................your screens are delicious.

#285 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9503 posts) -

Not going to lie, the game looks pretty interesting but now enough for me to pick up an Xbox One. I'll wait for the PS4 port.

#286 Posted by Tighaman (1038 posts) -

There's sooooo much hate in this thread lol the game looks fun its beautiful can't wait to play this stop being salty because the console that you are playing wanted to rehash old games and wanted to keep IPs and ms came and give them the freedom they need. another AAA in my book already.

#287 Posted by TheShensolidus (224 posts) -

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Not going to lie, the game looks pretty interesting but now enough for me to pick up an Xbox One. I'll wait for the PS4 port.

Gonna be a long wait...

#288 Edited by TheShensolidus (224 posts) -

Looks pretty... meh. Nothing really reaches out or grabs me, really. I'm going to be very curious to see how this game sells. Right now, my money is on it'll sell well to the Xbox Hardcore fanbase and not much else. So about 1M by the end of 2014, give or take.

Then the really interesting story begins.

#289 Posted by kuu2 (8131 posts) -

@Tighaman said:

There's sooooo much hate in this thread lol the game looks fun its beautiful can't wait to play this stop being salty because the console that you are playing wanted to rehash old games and wanted to keep IPs and ms came and give them the freedom they need. another AAA in my book already.

With Spencer saying that the most popular game in the office right now is Sunset, the amazing art style of the game, the quirky humor, I am sold on it as well. The final nail in the coffin though will be if it is praised like crazy at e3 since it will probably be playable.

It is going to be a long 3 weeks.

#290 Edited by intotheminx (1010 posts) -

Not going to lie. I'm really digging the art and humor of the game. I may very well get a Xbone before a PS4 now.

#291 Edited by RR360DD (13098 posts) -
@theshensolidus said:

Looks pretty... meh. Nothing really reaches out or grabs me, really. I'm going to be very curious to see how this game sells. Right now, my money is on it'll sell well to the Xbox Hardcore fanbase and not much else. So about 1M by the end of 2014, give or take.

So nothing "really reaches out or grabs" this cow here. I'm sure we're all shocked.

"very curious to see how this game sells."

Oh, the falling back on sales. Already the DC starts.

"Then the really interesting story begins."

Oh the cow still thinks people believe he's an 'insider'. LOL

Seriously, ive never seen such a subtle meltdown. Congrats.

#293 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -
@GravityX said:

Supersized pic

Sweet bullshot. Got any gameplay, like the limp GIF above?

@kuu2 said:

With Spencer saying that the most popular game in the office right now is Sunset, the amazing art style of the game, the quirky humor, I am sold on it as well. The final nail in the coffin though will be if it is praised like crazy at e3 since it will probably be playable.

It is going to be a long 3 weeks.

>Believing Phil Sphincter the PR monkey

Then again it's not like lemmings have anything else to play.

#294 Posted by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

looks like it'll get boring quick to be honest. One of those games you start and not finish for lack of motivation.

#295 Posted by groowagon (3118 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Supersized pic

i don't see that game to be worthy of a console purchase... would i get this if i had X1? i propably would. even if the gameplay would fall short, i like the quirky comic action in it.

#296 Edited by TheShensolidus (224 posts) -

@RR360DD said:
@theshensolidus said:

So nothing "really reaches out or grabs" this cow here. I'm sure we're all shocked.

"very curious to see how this game sells."

Oh, the falling back on sales. Already the DC starts.

"Then the really interesting story begins."

Oh the cow still thinks people believe he's an 'insider'. LOL

Seriously, ive never seen such a subtle meltdown. Congrats.

Do you think any of my opinion is formed from the console its on and not the content of the game being shown? LOL

And seeing how it sells is a very big deal, especially since the last 3 major games from Insomniac were all sales duds. That isn't a narrative i'm creating, this is fact.

I have colleagues whom I respect that are working on this very game that you seem to love (maybe, I don't know what your opinion is). And if you think i'm some cow, the last game I worked on was Xbone exclusive. So you can just take your dumb rhetoric and shove it.

#297 Posted by B4X (5660 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Box Art

That box art reminds me of the hand painted Movie posters. I approve.

#298 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9503 posts) -
@theshensolidus said:

@Nonstop-Madness said:

Gonna be a long wait...

Then so be it. There are plenty of other games to play this year and next year.

#299 Edited by AznbkdX (3631 posts) -

This was one of my favorite games shown during E3. For me, it showed that it was different from the ordinary shooters I saw throughout E3 (them all being in cinematic trailer form helped in that honestly), so it was something that I thought might actually interest me since I'm not a fan of normal shooters.

From the look of this, it looks pretty awesome. Still a little rough (animations are a little funny and it might be a tad too slow at parts), but I'm expecting something fun to be had when its released. Hopefully it is a good game though.

#300 Posted by D4RKL1NG (272 posts) -

Game looks like fun. When's the release date? Still waiting for the Xbox1 to release in my country. Hopefully there will be a hella price drop on the X1 after E3. Need to splurge my Christmas bonus on something this year.

Also,@FoxbatAIpha nice starting a shitstorm on GAF lol. Check the OP:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816859