Sucker Punch: PS4 CPU a bottleneck, one of many.

#151 Edited by tormentos (17122 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Ah, no.

Look at the YouTube video yourself. Unless it loads once you already passed the scene?! What good is that?

Actually look at the X1/PS4 comparison. Its the same way.

Now at 75% faster and with GDDR5 this should not be happening. Can we ask ourselves, why this is occurring?

So you have been explain like 10 times and still you believe that power has anything to do with streaming problems,...hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

My god...

People all you who believe that streaming problems are do to CPU been a bottleneck are wrong,is a streaming issues probably do to HDD been slow,and those of you who have PC and still don't believe this then your negating the damn existence of SSD in the first place, which is faster loadings and faster streaming.

They've optimised the consoles to run best on those HDDs. These are not PCs, the engineers chose them for a reason, the cost difference isn't much bigger for a 7200RPM HDD.

They did a test in Toms hardware and the improvement with an SSD or Hybrid drive are minimal for the reason they designed them to work best with the 5200RPM drives. And they concluded it certainly wouldn't be worth the money considering the storage space consoles need verses how much it would cost to get a large SSD. And they said it only really benefited loading times.

I disagree that HDDs are the issue, Sony and MS would have done something if this was the case, and most people are still using regular HDDs on the PC.

The cost isn't much different for you,a $2 dollar increase alone over 7 million units is 14 million more dollars dude..

Also the test done were mostly loading and still some gains were have as much as 5 second in boot just from having the 240GB SSD,20+% faster.

The issue here is not loading is streaming which is done constantly rather than just 1 time,oh please even DF say the issue is the HDD it affect both the xbox one and PS4,yet their PC with SSD didn't have that problem,streaming textures problems are mostly related to HDD,hell in an engine the PS4 CPU actually was faster than the xbox one..

#152 Posted by Spitfire-Six (501 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@Zero_epyon said:

CPU bottlenecks cause clipping and glitches? That's new to me. But it's well known that consoles have weak cpus.

Correlation does not imply causation, something OP doesn't understand.

CPUs don't cause glitches unless they literally malfunction. CPUs just run a defined set of instructions. It's how the code operates is what determines glitches.

Yeah that's how I thought it all worked lol. And I don't remember ever hearing that the PS4 or Xbox One has zero bottlenecks. Everything has a bottleneck of some sorts and it's even more so on consoles. The processors in current gen consoles are as powerful as my two year old laptop's cpu. But even though the CPU plays a role in running the game, GPU is really where it's at. I'd hate to hear a dev talk about a bottlenecking GPU.

GPU is where its at when it comes to rendering pipeline but don't get it twisted the cpu still runs the show. The biggest issue with these two consoles, games, and the api right now is that we are in a transition period. Mantle, and D3D12 are both trying to move the developers and make it easier for them to start writing games with Multithreading in mind. The problem comes with off the shelf game engines that some of the debs are using. I believe most of them are still being developed around a single thread development process. The biggest jump you will see this gen will be when the engines and hardware match. I don't think most of these debs write their own engines. So most of their coders are probably spending time trying to make their game fit onto the system. DX12 will fix this making it easier to control what core your instructions are operating on, and giving that power back to the development teams instead of allowing D3D11 where the code decided where to execute the instruction.

#153 Edited by 04dcarraher (19267 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

@Wasdie said:

@Zero_epyon said:

CPU bottlenecks cause clipping and glitches? That's new to me. But it's well known that consoles have weak cpus.

Correlation does not imply causation, something OP doesn't understand.

CPUs don't cause glitches unless they literally malfunction. CPUs just run a defined set of instructions. It's how the code operates is what determines glitches.

Yeah that's how I thought it all worked lol. And I don't remember ever hearing that the PS4 or Xbox One has zero bottlenecks. Everything has a bottleneck of some sorts and it's even more so on consoles. The processors in current gen consoles are as powerful as my two year old laptop's cpu. But even though the CPU plays a role in running the game, GPU is really where it's at. I'd hate to hear a dev talk about a bottlenecking GPU.

GPU is where its at when it comes to rendering pipeline but don't get it twisted the cpu still runs the show. The biggest issue with these two consoles, games, and the api right now is that we are in a transition period. Mantle, and D3D12 are both trying to move the developers and make it easier for them to start writing games with Multithreading in mind. The problem comes with off the shelf game engines that some of the debs are using. I believe most of them are still being developed around a single thread development process. The biggest jump you will see this gen will be when the engines and hardware match. I don't think most of these debs write their own engines. So most of their coders are probably spending time trying to make their game fit onto the system. DX12 will fix this making it easier to control what core your instructions are operating on, and giving that power back to the development teams instead of allowing D3D11 where the code decided where to execute the instruction.

Mantle and direct x 12 has nothing to with the consoles directly, its for the Pc environment to have an API that has less overhead saving cpu resources.Direct x 12 will not save neither console both consoles are based from current direct x 11 hardware specifications, while direct x 12 will trim down and allow some gains it will not magically allow custom control that their current API's dont lack.

Most of the modern game engines do already use quad cores and the newer ones already use up to eight threads. Its only a select few that still single threaded like MMO's or Total War games, and only some only make use of two threads. Almost all the game engines being used for PS4 and X1 are directly limited by the 360 and PS3. Games like BF4 and Killzone made use of all the cpu cores, they dont have the luxury of not using all available cores or these consoles performance would be awful since their so weak.

#154 Posted by Spitfire-Six (501 posts) -

@spitfire-six said:
@Zero_epyon said:

@Wasdie said:

@Zero_epyon said:

CPU bottlenecks cause clipping and glitches? That's new to me. But it's well known that consoles have weak cpus.

Correlation does not imply causation, something OP doesn't understand.

CPUs don't cause glitches unless they literally malfunction. CPUs just run a defined set of instructions. It's how the code operates is what determines glitches.

Yeah that's how I thought it all worked lol. And I don't remember ever hearing that the PS4 or Xbox One has zero bottlenecks. Everything has a bottleneck of some sorts and it's even more so on consoles. The processors in current gen consoles are as powerful as my two year old laptop's cpu. But even though the CPU plays a role in running the game, GPU is really where it's at. I'd hate to hear a dev talk about a bottlenecking GPU.

GPU is where its at when it comes to rendering pipeline but don't get it twisted the cpu still runs the show. The biggest issue with these two consoles, games, and the api right now is that we are in a transition period. Mantle, and D3D12 are both trying to move the developers and make it easier for them to start writing games with Multithreading in mind. The problem comes with off the shelf game engines that some of the debs are using. I believe most of them are still being developed around a single thread development process. The biggest jump you will see this gen will be when the engines and hardware match. I don't think most of these debs write their own engines. So most of their coders are probably spending time trying to make their game fit onto the system. DX12 will fix this making it easier to control what core your instructions are operating on, and giving that power back to the development teams instead of allowing D3D11 where the code decided where to execute the instruction.

Mantle and direct x 12 has nothing to with the consoles directly, its for the Pc environment to have an API that has less overhead saving cpu resources.Direct x 12 will not save neither console both consoles are based from current direct x 11 hardware specifications, while direct x 12 will trim down and allow some gains it will not magically allow custom control that their current API's dont lack.

Most of the modern game engines do already use quad cores and the newer ones already use up to eight threads. Its only a select few that still single threaded like MMO's or Total War games, and only some only make use of two threads. Almost all the game engines being used for PS4 and X1 are directly limited by the 360 and PS3. Games like BF4 and Killzone made use of all the cpu cores, they dont have the luxury of not using all available cores or these consoles performance would be awful since their so weak.

That is partially true. The current DX11 has more control and conducts more process by automating some of the processes that DX12 gives to the developer. The Idea is behind direct x12 is to get PC more like consoles by being "closer to the metal" so to speak. This does not mean that DX11 is already setup this way. The DX11.2 is DX 11 with plugins and extensions adding some of the functions and methods that DX3D12. This is not the same thing as having a complete DX3D 12. The current game engines do utilize more cores, but they are not doing it in an effective manner. This is where the PSO, and binding will come into play with the new api. This will allow separate different instructions to be executed prior to waiting on the state change to happen. Also by binding similar and repetitive processes will reduce the overhead of the cpu. These functions have less to do with "coding close to the metal" and more to do with the philosophy change brought forth by Mantle and DX123D. All this is pointless though if the game engines that are currently in use cannot be re written to include the new functionality so regardless if the hardware supports this it is on the creators of the game engines, and the engine coders.

#155 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4101 posts) -

OP made an ass of himself so he had to make another thread to get owned in.

#156 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4041 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Ah, no.

Look at the YouTube video yourself. Unless it loads once you already passed the scene?! What good is that?

Actually look at the X1/PS4 comparison. Its the same way.

Now at 75% faster and with GDDR5 this should not be happening. Can we ask ourselves, why this is occurring?

So you have been explain like 10 times and still you believe that power has anything to do with streaming problems,...hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

My god...

People all you who believe that streaming problems are do to CPU been a bottleneck are wrong,is a streaming issues probably do to HDD been slow,and those of you who have PC and still don't believe this then your negating the damn existence of SSD in the first place, which is faster loadings and faster streaming.

@HalcyonScarlet said:

They've optimised the consoles to run best on those HDDs. These are not PCs, the engineers chose them for a reason, the cost difference isn't much bigger for a 7200RPM HDD.

They did a test in Toms hardware and the improvement with an SSD or Hybrid drive are minimal for the reason they designed them to work best with the 5200RPM drives. And they concluded it certainly wouldn't be worth the money considering the storage space consoles need verses how much it would cost to get a large SSD. And they said it only really benefited loading times.

I disagree that HDDs are the issue, Sony and MS would have done something if this was the case, and most people are still using regular HDDs on the PC.

The cost isn't much different for you,a $2 dollar increase alone over 7 million units is 14 million more dollars dude..

Also the test done were mostly loading and still some gains were have as much as 5 second in boot just from having the 240GB SSD,20+% faster.

The issue here is not loading is streaming which is done constantly rather than just 1 time,oh please even DF say the issue is the HDD it affect both the xbox one and PS4,yet their PC with SSD didn't have that problem,streaming textures problems are mostly related to HDD,hell in an engine the PS4 CPU actually was faster than the xbox one..

Why can't they just offset that with a reduction to their profit margin. Both are making money on the hardware.

I'm sure the PS4 was faster using an engine, but it's about how well software uses the CPU as well, and I'm sure if we see that test done at different times, say at the end of this year considering the better drivers or at the end of next year with DX12 and better cpu multi-threading techniques, the results might not look the same look exactly the same. I remember when my older computer got a windows update which made some adjustments to the CPU use and it actually had a positive effect on the benchmarking result.

You guys say hardware is factual and the difference can't be made up using software, well if indeed the X1s CPU is higher clocked, this could end up being the case here as well or it might come down to scenarios where one might perform better than the other in certain situations.

#157 Posted by lglz1337 (3136 posts) -

lolNd TC think Xbone wont have a bottleneck ? they have the same cpu

and no sauce

#158 Edited by kipsta77 (943 posts) -

Were people expecting a powerhouse CPU for a console?

lol.

#159 Edited by Vecna (3384 posts) -

Of course the PS4 cpu is a pos. So is the one in the Bone.

If you want power, pc is the only way to go.

#160 Edited by tormentos (17122 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Why can't they just offset that with a reduction to their profit margin. Both are making money on the hardware.

I'm sure the PS4 was faster using an engine, but it's about how well software uses the CPU as well, and I'm sure if we see that test done at different times, say at the end of this year considering the better drivers or at the end of next year with DX12 and better cpu multi-threading techniques, the results might not look the same look exactly the same. I remember when my older computer got a windows update which made some adjustments to the CPU use and it actually had a positive effect on the benchmarking result.

You guys say hardware is factual and the difference can't be made up using software, well if indeed the X1s CPU is higher clocked, this could end up being the case here as well or it might come down to scenarios where one might perform better than the other in certain situations.

That is not how it works i remember how American Air lines saved 70k in 1 year just by cutting 1 olive from each first class salad..

A small think in big quantities amount to allot,you can pic a news paper with your hands,can you lift the rolls of paper use to make the news paper.?

Oh please dude DX12 is already inside the xbox one,DX12 is nothing more than MS PC version or consoles API,it will not change anything,the xbox one CPU is 100mhz faster yet it performs slower,wait didn't you people claimed for months that GDDR5 was bad for CPU for its latency.?

How come that with higher latency and slower CPU the PS4 one still beat the xbox one.?

Yeah GDDR5 didn't hurt it,and the PS4 true HSA nature is helping the PS4 actually to came on top.

Yes hardware is factual and software can't break those advantages,problem is that when you have an advantage but also have bottlenecks your advantages is totally nullify,the xbox one isn't true HSA it need to flush its GPU because the CPU has no access to ESRAM,this was confirmed already by MS and a thread was made here and discuss.

So HSA what really does is that eliminates the constant copy and past between CPU and GPU,and stop the GPU from needing to be flush manually,if the xbox one isn't true HSA it has a bottleneck vs the PS4,because instead of the GPU and CPU seeing the same data all the time,while the data is at ESRAM the CPU can't see it,that will require more copy paste and manual GPU flush on a consoles that is already weaker that is another blow.

So it may be the PS4 streamline design what is actually making the CPU work better,while it bottle necks the xbox one.,.

#161 Edited by Scipio8 (618 posts) -

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

#162 Posted by clyde46 (45064 posts) -
#163 Posted by tormentos (17122 posts) -
#164 Posted by clyde46 (45064 posts) -
#165 Edited by ChronosChris (205 posts) -

Why are you comparing a PS4 game with a PC game in regards to graphical detail? Of course it's not going to be as good. Xboners just love grasping at them straws.

#166 Edited by slimdogmilionar (483 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

It's a bottleneck but not in the way you think or are implying.

It's an 8 core Jaguar processor, a mobile AMD processor. Each core is relatively weak and it forces developers to implement a high level of parallelism with their CPU operations. This is something most engines don't do well. Both the Playstaton 4 and Xbox One have pretty much the same CPU and thus the same bottleneck. All devs have to live with this.

It's not a huge deal in the long run as engines become more and more parallel. This is really just growing pains as developers are porting over engines that do not have a high degree of parallelism and thus rely on less CPU cores to do the bulk of the work.

The CPU choices for the PS4 and Xbox One make a lot of sense. They are cheaper to produce, extremely power efficient, and do not generate a lot of heat which means longer lifespans and less money having to be spent on CPU cooling. The downside is the individual cores are not extremely powerful and modern engines still are not built around more than 1-2 cores. This is slowly changing because of the consoles and everybody, including PC gamers, are going to finally benefit.

I'll be you that the majority of the cores during most Xbox One and PS4 games are going underutilized with 1-2 cores doing the majority of the work. That's where the bottleneck lies right now.

Good post, though it's funny to see a post like this when all along people been saying DX12 will not benefit xbox. Not attacking you Wasdie just using your post to prove a point.

#167 Edited by tormentos (17122 posts) -
@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

The PS4 doesn't need 60GB/s for its CPU,is true HSA which reduces copy and paste,and been a Jaguar i don't think it will use more than 20GB/s the xbox one has 30GB/s problem is the PS4 has a direct link between GPU and CPU with another 10GB/s which basically make it 30GB/s just like the one xbox one,so it has the same while having saving in copy and paste.

Not everything on the CPU side can be offloaded to the cloud there are latency sensitive task that can't be done on the latency ridden Internet,things that don't need to be refresh constantly can be done,anything that need to be refresh constantly can't.

Titanfall uses the cloud and is not even 900p drop the magic sauce the cloud will not help much, and means any game that uses it,most have online all the time,if there is a serve problem,your internet goes away,your router fail or anything your game will drop unless it can reconnect fast enough which may not happen if you have those problems,is the reason developers are not jumping into the whole cloud thing it will limit sales,so the cloud get use for dedicated servers which is from the start what many like me claim it would be use for...

#168 Posted by slimdogmilionar (483 posts) -

Watch the lems try to claim ownage even though the Xbone's CPU isn't any better lol.

Honestly they're both disappointments in terms of power.

It may not be better but M$ clearly thought about all of this stuff when building the Xbox. If PS4 has to loose 400 gflops to gpu compute it will bring it right back around where the xbox gpu stands with less ram and less cpu support, as more and more stuff come out the decisions M$ made are stating to not look that bad after all. So all of that 1.8TF is looking more and more like a marketing strategy. For lems xbox is being better optimized and the system won't have to sacrifice anything to make things work better, M$ laid it all on the table and got bashed accordingly.

#169 Posted by remiks00 (1712 posts) -

Lemming and hermits, let's prepare, cows are coming

omg rofl!

#170 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6162 posts) -

Awe, devs not saying what cows want to hear?

#171 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (6162 posts) -
#172 Posted by RimacBugatti (1192 posts) -

@GravityX: Well being that the PS4 runs pretty cool I say that they should overclock the damn CPU and try to speed it up. The damn Note 3 is running at 2.3 GHZ. Sad Sony very sad!

#173 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4101 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

The PS4 has a more efficient CPU and doesn't depend on far-off gimmicks to keep lemming peckers up.

#174 Edited by GravityX (697 posts) -

@GravityX: Well being that the PS4 runs pretty cool I say that they should overclock the damn CPU and try to speed it up. The damn Note 3 is running at 2.3 GHZ. Sad Sony very sad!

That would be awesome, however I don't think that is possible. I think the PS4 is at it's thermal max.

#175 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

rofl this topic is a mess. So many shitposts from lems after reading the title LOL.

@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

how are people playing offline going to use these cloud servers to offload CPU? You're implying all and any games will use this function in a sort of matter-of-fact way as if it will be normal practise, so was wondering how the Xbone will perform locally when you log off? Splintering install bases through internet connectivity dictating quality of the product a consumer has just bought will be a delightful PR nightmare for Xbone that I just can't wait to watch :P.

#176 Posted by GravityX (697 posts) -

rofl this topic is a mess. So many shitposts from lems after reading the title LOL.

@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

how are people playing offline going to use these cloud servers to offload CPU? You're implying all and any games will use this function in a sort of matter-of-fact way as if it will be normal practise, so was wondering how the Xbone will perform locally when you log off? Splintering install bases through internet connectivity dictating quality of the product a consumer has just bought will be a delightful PR nightmare for Xbone that I just can't wait to watch :P.

I would imagine it would need to be specified that the game is online only or multiplayer only.Like Titanfall, which is an awesome fun game by the way.

#177 Edited by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@GravityX said:

@misterpmedia said:

rofl this topic is a mess. So many shitposts from lems after reading the title LOL.

@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

how are people playing offline going to use these cloud servers to offload CPU? You're implying all and any games will use this function in a sort of matter-of-fact way as if it will be normal practise, so was wondering how the Xbone will perform locally when you log off? Splintering install bases through internet connectivity dictating quality of the product a consumer has just bought will be a delightful PR nightmare for Xbone that I just can't wait to watch :P.

I would imagine it would need to be specified that the game is online only or multiplayer only.Like Titanfall, which is an awesome fun game by the way.

So this function is exclusive for online play? No further questions, your honour.

#178 Edited by GravityX (697 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@GravityX said:

@misterpmedia said:

rofl this topic is a mess. So many shitposts from lems after reading the title LOL.

@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

how are people playing offline going to use these cloud servers to offload CPU? You're implying all and any games will use this function in a sort of matter-of-fact way as if it will be normal practise, so was wondering how the Xbone will perform locally when you log off? Splintering install bases through internet connectivity dictating quality of the product a consumer has just bought will be a delightful PR nightmare for Xbone that I just can't wait to watch :P.

I would imagine it would need to be specified that the game is online only or multiplayer only.Like Titanfall, which is an awesome fun game by the way.

So this function is exclusive for online play? No further questions, your honour.

Of course. And MS knew this. This is why the wanted the console always connected. It is the inevitable future. But as MS does, they always to early to the party.

But lets not ignore the fact that most understand this is connected medium, we get our entertainment online, we communicate with love ones online, we discuss interesting topics online, we shop online etc, we are a connected society.

#179 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4101 posts) -


Looks like we got ourselves an always-online apologist!

#180 Posted by GravityX (697 posts) -

Looks like we got ourselves an always-online apologist!

Let's not ignore the future. The internet will be like electricity soon, it will just need to work.

#181 Posted by Scipio8 (618 posts) -

rofl this topic is a mess. So many shitposts from lems after reading the title LOL.

@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

how are people playing offline going to use these cloud servers to offload CPU? You're implying all and any games will use this function in a sort of matter-of-fact way as if it will be normal practise, so was wondering how the Xbone will perform locally when you log off? Splintering install bases through internet connectivity dictating quality of the product a consumer has just bought will be a delightful PR nightmare for Xbone that I just can't wait to watch :P.

The biggest game of the month was TitanFall - an always online game. The biggest games on PC's are all MMO's. The biggest games on both consoles and PC are online FPS. Case closed.

#182 Edited by Tighaman (754 posts) -

im sorry you might buy a ps4 without online but a 500 dollar console thats made for online is stupid thinking this day in age.

Ps4 has data from the cpu to ram 10gb bidirectional and cpu to the gpu is the same thats to slow so you have to duplicate data from cpu so it dont miss cycles.

Ps4 = jag cpu

X1= based off jag with a big L3 cache like intel is doing with Haswell

#183 Edited by Cyberdot (3518 posts) -

News #84131790 about console hardware.

You only buy consoles for exclusives. Otherwise you're doing it totally wrong.

#184 Edited by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@GravityX said:

@misterpmedia said:

@GravityX said:

@misterpmedia said:

rofl this topic is a mess. So many shitposts from lems after reading the title LOL.

@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

how are people playing offline going to use these cloud servers to offload CPU? You're implying all and any games will use this function in a sort of matter-of-fact way as if it will be normal practise, so was wondering how the Xbone will perform locally when you log off? Splintering install bases through internet connectivity dictating quality of the product a consumer has just bought will be a delightful PR nightmare for Xbone that I just can't wait to watch :P.

I would imagine it would need to be specified that the game is online only or multiplayer only.Like Titanfall, which is an awesome fun game by the way.

So this function is exclusive for online play? No further questions, your honour.

Of course. And MS knew this. This is why the wanted the console always connected. It is the inevitable future. But as MS does, they always to early to the party.

But lets not ignore the fact that most understand this is connected medium, we get our entertainment online, we communicate with love ones online, we discuss interesting topics online, we shop online etc, we are a connected society.

I'm not saying that's not where we're going, but the fact enough people turned around and said, "hold the fuck on, so my console is pretty much dictated by my internet connection..well mine sucks. Fuck that, thanks", is enough for people to question the online offloading stuff. First bold, true, they are at least a whole decade a head of themselves, and that's why their original idea bombed, hard. Almost foolishly so, no wonder Mattrick left. Second bold, very true again, but to what extent? How strong & reliable is that connection? How fast will infrastructure develop to support hardlined, fast, strong, affordable broadband to do these things in a convenient and reliable manner. Not everyone has that

This is getting off-topic, however.

#185 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@Scipio8 said:

@misterpmedia said:

rofl this topic is a mess. So many shitposts from lems after reading the title LOL.

@Scipio8 said:

PS4 CPU is bottled necked, less bandwidth than the Xbox One CPU and clocked lower. The Xbox One also has cloud servers to offload CPU intensive tasks. Basically you its just a PS3.5.

how are people playing offline going to use these cloud servers to offload CPU? You're implying all and any games will use this function in a sort of matter-of-fact way as if it will be normal practise, so was wondering how the Xbone will perform locally when you log off? Splintering install bases through internet connectivity dictating quality of the product a consumer has just bought will be a delightful PR nightmare for Xbone that I just can't wait to watch :P.

The biggest game of the month was TitanFall - an always online game. The biggest games on PC's are all MMO's. The biggest games on both consoles and PC are online FPS. Case closed.

Oh that's right I forgot you speak for every gamer ever and they all play those games. Classic lem ignorance LOL. Case opened.

#186 Posted by tormentos (17122 posts) -

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mmmm how does that change the fact that the PS4 is stronger than the xbox one and selling faster to.?

MMMMM.....

#187 Edited by tormentos (17122 posts) -
@GravityX said:

I would imagine it would need to be specified that the game is online only or multiplayer only.Like Titanfall, which is an awesome fun game by the way.

Read Angry Joe review and how he loss connection to the servers and what happen on single player..lol

@Scipio8 said:

The biggest game of the month was TitanFall - an always online game. The biggest games on PC's are all MMO's. The biggest games on both consoles and PC are online FPS. Case closed.

From xbox live 46 million users 23 million are silver only 23 million are gold and more than 33 millions didn't have neither a silver or gold account...

That should tell you something,online only games have existed for years it doesn't mean all games most be like that.

Titanfall sold like sh** it basically did 1+ million on PC,xbox one and free copies..lol

It was basically the highest hyped game in recent history and failed hard,that doesn't even represent half the xbox one user base.

@Tighaman said:

im sorry you might buy a ps4 without online but a 500 dollar console thats made for online is stupid thinking this day in age.

Ps4 has data from the cpu to ram 10gb bidirectional and cpu to the gpu is the same thats to slow so you have to duplicate data from cpu so it dont miss cycles.

Ps4 = jag cpu

X1= based off jag with a big L3 cache like intel is doing with Haswell

The PS4 has 20GB/s data connections from the main pool of ram to the CPU,letting 156Gb for the GPU,and a has a second connection which goes directly to the GPU which is 20GB 10/10 GB/s..

And you don't have to duplicate sh** the PS4 is true HSA design unlike the xbox one.

lol

You really know sh** about the PS4...lol...

Both are the same sh** jaguar..lol

Any more downplay you want to invent,.?

#188 Edited by Tighaman (754 posts) -

@tormentos: if you listen to Sucker Punch thats the bottleneck 10gb bidirectional = 20gb both directions since you like to copy and paste show us how wrong i am

Ps4=jag cpu

X1= based off of jag cpu its a difference

You love to be apart of the discussion when you not even part of the war.

#189 Posted by Tessellation (8797 posts) -

damn the cows are already crying because of this lol.

#190 Posted by Spitfire-Six (501 posts) -

@tormentos:

Oh please dude DX12 is already inside the xbox one,DX12 is nothing more than MS PC version or consoles API,it will not change anything,the xbox one CPU is 100mhz faster yet it performs slower,wait didn't you people claimed for months that GDDR5 was bad for CPU for its latency.?

No.......im not sure why you are drawing that conclusion and your statement of DX12 is a gross oversimplification.

#191 Edited by xboxiphoneps3 (2291 posts) -

by no means are the jaguar cpus in both consoles really powerful, defitnetly not, but one issue today is that most game engines arent fully multi threaded with good parralleism in mind, over the next 2 years or so game engines will adapt big time to parallelism and multihreading and both consoles will have better looking games as they learn to write code for more cores in synchronization

#192 Posted by Chutebox (36647 posts) -

So...still no link?

#193 Edited by tormentos (17122 posts) -

@Tighaman said:

@tormentos: if you listen to Sucker Punch thats the bottleneck 10gb bidirectional = 20gb both directions since you like to copy and paste show us how wrong i am

Ps4=jag cpu

X1= based off of jag cpu its a difference

You love to be apart of the discussion when you not even part of the war.

No is not that is what you assume..

Xbox One SoC

PS4 SoC

Jaguar x86 quad core...lol

Oh wait another fanboy with broken heart that hide on me not owning a PS4,so tell me boy how does me not owning a PS4 change anything..?

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

@tormentos:

Oh please dude DX12 is already inside the xbox one,DX12 is nothing more than MS PC version or consoles API,it will not change anything,the xbox one CPU is 100mhz faster yet it performs slower,wait didn't you people claimed for months that GDDR5 was bad for CPU for its latency.?

No.......im not sure why you are drawing that conclusion and your statement of DX12 is a gross oversimplification.

Actually i made a thread yesterday about it find it,is on page to and show why the whole DX12 crap wasn't demo on PC to begin with and was on PC,even that the xbox one DX version already has DX12 features.

They didn't use the xbox one version because the gains would not show period,on PC the benefit would be easy to see,even more on stronger GPU and CPU than what the xbox one has,the gains you can get on an Intel i7 will never be achieve by a Jaguar.

#194 Posted by c0mplex (15382 posts) -

None of the technical "facts" people are spewing in this thread are true. People needs to stop talking like their software engineers.

#195 Posted by clyde46 (45064 posts) -

@c0mplex said:

None of the technical "facts" people are spewing in this thread are true. People needs to stop talking like their software engineers.

Welcome to SW, please collect your complementarity computer engineering degree's from the collection points upon entry.

#196 Posted by c0mplex (15382 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@c0mplex said:

None of the technical "facts" people are spewing in this thread are true. People needs to stop talking like their software engineers.

Welcome to SW, please collect your complementarity computer engineering degree's from the collection points upon entry.

Thank god. For a second I thought I would need to go to college.

#197 Posted by Tighaman (754 posts) -

@tormentos: so you dont see that block of sram cache in the middle of the x1 cores is it on the ps4 no just a big ass space but hey believe what you want to.

They would have seen gain regardless because spreading workload over threads evenly is mostly for weak cpu its not for i7 you get less gains with i7 than you would get from a jag cpu so your whole thread is just your stupid opinion. You have no used mantle to have not used NVIDIA latest drivers or dx12, like I said not even in the war.

Propaganda spreading ass guy.

#198 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2563 posts) -

Lazy devs, SDC

You know nothing about how hard developers work.

#199 Posted by tormentos (17122 posts) -

@Tighaman said:

@tormentos: so you dont see that block of sram cache in the middle of the x1 cores is it on the ps4 no just a big ass space but hey believe what you want to.

They would have seen gain regardless because spreading workload over threads evenly is mostly for weak cpu its not for i7 you get less gains with i7 than you would get from a jag cpu so your whole thread is just your stupid opinion. You have no used mantle to have not used NVIDIA latest drivers or dx12, like I said not even in the war.

Propaganda spreading ass guy.

Exactly because the PS4 doesn't need crappy ass ESRAM because is has GDDR5 in big quantities.

Is not only in the middle is also on the other side of the xbox one apu,is the reason why the xbox one GPU yeah is smaller,MS wasted its die space to have ESRAM and that is the reason why you will get inferior port all gen long.

No all CPU can take advantage of that,is done more on weak ones to get more out of them,but the same principle apply to the I7 as well.

DX12 will bring basically nothing to consoles because most of it is already on consoles DX12 is MS console API done on PC..lol

#200 Posted by Spitfire-Six (501 posts) -

@tormentos: again they are using plugins and extensions with dx11 to get some of the dx12 functionality. D3d12 has not been completed yet. you cannot get full dx12 functions within dx11.

Edit: I'm actually working on getting a job in software engineering. So this is a field that interest me I'm not trying to overstate my knowledge.