Sucker Punch: PS4 CPU a bottleneck, one of many.

#1 Edited by GravityX (715 posts) -

Sucker Punch Seeking More Ways To Use PS4′s RAM; CPU a

Bottleneck but there’s Room for Improvement.

"The CPU of the PS4 worked pretty well, but it’s still one of

the main bottlenecks. It’s also tougher to optimize."

May explain why there are so many glitches. AI will also be held back due tolack of CPU resources.

And could explain why PS4 games will need to sacrifice detail over resolution.

#2 Edited by delta3074 (18410 posts) -

Get yourself a good flame shield buddie, the cows won't like this,lol

#3 Edited by GabranthXIII (993 posts) -

That's what you get for using a table CPU.

#4 Edited by SecretPolice (22219 posts) -

No surprise since no DX12, Cloud, SecretSauce GPU w/eSram etc, etc, etc. - Shoulda bought yourself a nice gaming PC instead, eh, oh well. :P

#5 Edited by GravityX (715 posts) -

@delta3074 said:

Get yourself a good flame shield buddie, the cows won't like this,lol

Well they will need to take it up with Sucker Punch, they said it not me.

#6 Edited by cainetao11 (17699 posts) -

Lazy devs, SDC

#7 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3283 posts) -

Ugh I watched a PC stream of Trials last night. I'm kinda pissed that I didn't wait. Oh well I guess I will do what I did with Battlefield 4 and Titanfall and just buy the PC version too. I knew it would look better but damn.

That being said I don't think I have experienced any of those glitches in Infamous Second Son. Other than clipping through buildings I don't think I have seen anything really.

#8 Edited by jsmoke03 (12923 posts) -

detail over resolution comparison with a pc....ps4 is always or any console is going to lose

#9 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3283 posts) -

The title of the thread should be changed too. It doesn't say there are "many" bottlenecks but that the CPU is the "main" bottleneck. There could only be 2 for all we know.

#10 Edited by GravityX (715 posts) -

@GoldenElementXL said:

That being said I don't think I have experienced any of those glitches in Infamous Second Son. Other than clipping through buildings I don't think I have seen anything really.

There are a few on Youtube, you should check him out.

#11 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Just put my ps4 up for sale on amazon.

#12 Edited by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

Yep, we already knew this the moment they announced the specs though. Not sure if it's really news, except to cows perhaps.

The cool thing about next gen consoles is that games will start becomign more multi-threaded, because they will NEED to be. On consoles that means they will utilize their crappy CPU's better, on PC that means out i5's and i7's will be capable fo amazing things. Thousands of AI algorithms running, better pathfinding, and who knows what else.

The future seems rosy for PC... the consoles,... well they'll keep on trucking...

#13 Edited by GravityX (715 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

detail over resolution comparison with a pc....ps4 is always or any console is going to lose

I think the X1 version looks closer to the PC version too. Wonder whats the deal with streaming textures on PS4?

#14 Edited by Cloud_imperium (3587 posts) -

No shit .

#15 Posted by GravityX (715 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:

Just put my ps4 up for sale on amazon.

No dude, they have Granite and PRT coming in the next SDK update.

#16 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2735 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

No shit .

#17 Edited by Spartan070 (16355 posts) -

I have over 20 hours invested into Second Son, haven't seen any glitches...not doubting their existence, only their implied rampancy.

#18 Posted by tormentos (18314 posts) -

But it isn't for the xbox one right.?

Trial look better on PS4 and doesn't have to give in 40+% resolution on PS4 full 1080p 60FPS the dream the xbox one talked so much about..

Also nice nitpick screen of Infamous...

We can all do that...

#19 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

Nothing for nothing. Where's the sauce on this?

#20 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@GravityX said:

@lbjkurono23 said:

Just put my ps4 up for sale on amazon.

No dude, they have Granite and PRT coming in the next SDK update.

I don't want to be a bottleneck!

#21 Edited by GravityX (715 posts) -

@tormentos said:

But it isn't for the xbox one right.?

Trial look better on PS4 and doesn't have to give in 40+% resolution on PS4 full 1080p 60FPS the dream the xbox one talked so much about..

Also nice nitpick screen of Infamous...

We can all do that...

Look "owner of no console". Do you want better textures in games or do you want to be able to say your game is in 1080p?

Go and look at the comparison video for yourself and please be honest with what you see. And stop being a grouch.

#22 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17914 posts) -

"one of the main bottlenecks" does not translate to "many". where did you get that from?

#23 Posted by coasterguy65 (6011 posts) -

A slightly modified laptop APU is still only a laptop APU. Even with fast memory it's going to be a bottleneck. Both consoles should have gone with a dedicated CPU and a dedicated GPU.

#24 Posted by GravityX (715 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

"one of the main bottlenecks" does not translate to "many". where did you get that from?

From the school of gaming journalism, I need the hits...

#25 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17914 posts) -

@GravityX said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

"one of the main bottlenecks" does not translate to "many". where did you get that from?

From the school of gaming journalism, I need the hits...

lol

#26 Posted by tormentos (18314 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Look "owner of no console". Do you want better textures in games or do you want to be able to say your game is in 1080p?

Go and look at the comparison video for yourself and please be honest with what you see. And stop being a grouch.

The texture problem in Trials is also on xbox one,and is not do to CPU is do to HDD not streaming fast enough,those 5200rpm disc suck..

If it was a power related problem the PS4 version would not be doing 1080p while the xbox one fail to do so,did you also read DF.?

The xbox one version has screen tearing all over the place,and has shimmering because of been 900p compare to the PS4 version.

#27 Edited by Wasdie (50000 posts) -

It's a bottleneck but not in the way you think or are implying.

It's an 8 core Jaguar processor, a mobile AMD processor. Each core is relatively weak and it forces developers to implement a high level of parallelism with their CPU operations. This is something most engines don't do well. Both the Playstaton 4 and Xbox One have pretty much the same CPU and thus the same bottleneck. All devs have to live with this.

It's not a huge deal in the long run as engines become more and more parallel. This is really just growing pains as developers are porting over engines that do not have a high degree of parallelism and thus rely on less CPU cores to do the bulk of the work.

The CPU choices for the PS4 and Xbox One make a lot of sense. They are cheaper to produce, extremely power efficient, and do not generate a lot of heat which means longer lifespans and less money having to be spent on CPU cooling. The downside is the individual cores are not extremely powerful and modern engines still are not built around more than 1-2 cores. This is slowly changing because of the consoles and everybody, including PC gamers, are going to finally benefit.

I'll be you that the majority of the cores during most Xbox One and PS4 games are going underutilized with 1-2 cores doing the majority of the work. That's where the bottleneck lies right now.

#28 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4801 posts) -

Lemming and hermits, let's prepare, cows are coming

#29 Posted by Zero_epyon (5266 posts) -

CPU bottlenecks cause clipping and glitches? That's new to me. But it's well known that consoles have weak cpus.

#30 Posted by Wasdie (50000 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

CPU bottlenecks cause clipping and glitches? That's new to me. But it's well known that consoles have weak cpus.

Correlation does not imply causation, something OP doesn't understand.

CPUs don't cause glitches unless they literally malfunction. CPUs just run a defined set of instructions. It's how the code operates is what determines glitches.

#31 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (5083 posts) -

Old news, also fail thread. Trials Fusion on both consoles have the same textures.

"It falls to resolution to define the better console release - and in this case the PS4's full 1080p native resolution gives it a clear edge. for clinical, bright indoor areas the [Xbone's] increased pixel-crawl is a distraction. Both versions suffer from texture pop-in and occasional tearing in different areas," "PC is the best of the four, then, with PS4 coming closest to matching it,"

Stick to news article comments where you get three likes from DIGN, Sladakrobot and Sevenizz.

#32 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Seems like the greatest sandbox series is still causing some massive jelly.

Finished up the good playthrough. On evil now and working on the plat. Havent hit a glitch yet. Game is epic.

#33 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (9483 posts) -

The Jaguar CPU's in BOTH the Xbox One and PS4 are nothing special.

There are always bottlenecks present but it comes down to which bottlenecks you're willing to live with.

#34 Posted by Chutebox (37349 posts) -

Link?

#35 Posted by granddogg (433 posts) -

@gernade......higher res does not will not ever mean better textures....

#36 Posted by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

Link?

I think hell will freeze over before we get it.

#37 Edited by Gue1 (10187 posts) -

they said the CPU was a bottleneck but they didn't say it was one of many (they did say they already have a few workarounds with gpgpu). The AI glitches have nothing to do with the HW or lack of power but with the coding itself. And the last picture is an example of a texture streaming issue not lack of detail.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/14/sucker-punch-seeking-more-ways-to-use-ps4s-ram-cpu-a-bottleneck-but-theres-room-for-improvement/

#39 Edited by granddogg (433 posts) -

@desmonic....desperate of what one company made more billions then the other? microsoft won that fight because at the end of the day thats all that matter to them......i dont care

#41 Edited by aroxx_ab (10016 posts) -

So, what did you expect? everything have bottleneck...

#42 Posted by GravityX (715 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Old news, also fail thread. Trials Fusion on both consoles have the same textures.

"It falls to resolution to define the better console release - and in this case the PS4's full 1080p native resolution gives it a clear edge. for clinical, bright indoor areas the [Xbone's] increased pixel-crawl is a distraction. Both versions suffer from texture pop-in and occasional tearing in different areas," "PC is the best of the four, then, with PS4 coming closest to matching it,"

Stick to news article comments where you get three likes from DIGN, Sladakrobot and Sevenizz.

Please go look at the YouTube comparison video.

#43 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5083 posts) -

@GravityX said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Old news, also fail thread. Trials Fusion on both consoles have the same textures.

"It falls to resolution to define the better console release - and in this case the PS4's full 1080p native resolution gives it a clear edge. for clinical, bright indoor areas the [Xbone's] increased pixel-crawl is a distraction. Both versions suffer from texture pop-in and occasional tearing in different areas," "PC is the best of the four, then, with PS4 coming closest to matching it,"

Stick to news article comments where you get three likes from DIGN, Sladakrobot and Sevenizz.

Please go look at the YouTube comparison video.

"Hurrrr go look at a compressed Youtube video that runs at 30fps"

Or I can read the professional analysis.

#45 Edited by GravityX (715 posts) -

@Wasdie said:

@Zero_epyon said:

CPU bottlenecks cause clipping and glitches? That's new to me. But it's well known that consoles have weak cpus.

Correlation does not imply causation, something OP doesn't understand.

CPUs don't cause glitches unless they literally malfunction. CPUs just run a defined set of instructions. It's how the code operates is what determines glitches.

Probably not a correlation. However the premise of PS4 having bottlenecks seems tangible and real. CPU would or may cause AI to act in unexpected ways, right?

What would cause textrure streaming issues we see with games like Strider, Trials and Thief?

#46 Edited by Animal-Mother (26962 posts) -

@sven4057 said:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/14/sucker-punch-seeking-more-ways-to-use-ps4s-ram-cpu-a-bottleneck-but-theres-room-for-improvement/

Hey, Have some street cred
Something the TC couldn't do.

#47 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Wasn;t aware till now that only CPU bottlenecks are the single cause for glitches.

#48 Edited by kuu2 (7359 posts) -

New tech, it happens every gen and every gen devs whine like school girls. We are seeing the same thing with The Ones eSRAM.

#49 Edited by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

Just as I and every other person on this forum with a clue predicted. Cows gonna come in here to dc of course but facts are facts. Pretty much everything knowledgeable people said about these consoles before launch is true. Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out just a non fanboy.

#50 Edited by tormentos (18314 posts) -

@GravityX said:

Probably not a correlation. However the premise of PS4 having bottlenecks seems tangible and real. CPU would or may cause AI to act in unexpected ways, right?

What would cause textrure streaming issues we see with games like Strider, Trials and Thief?

Why don't you read most streaming problems are attribute to HDD been to slow,the PS4 ones are 5200rpm not that great,this also happen on PC in many games,reason why many PC gamers now run SSD faster loading better streaming,by the way you can use SSD on PS4 but on xbox one you can't without probably voiding your warranty.

And that CPU part has nothing to do with what you claimed...