Strider gets a 8/10

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/strider-review/1900-6415669/

Why haven't you bought this game yet?

#2 Posted by gameofthering (10311 posts) -

I was going to pre-order it but I didn't know if it would be any good. I might get it.

#3 Posted by Large_Soda (8611 posts) -

I'll definitely pick this video game up for my console.

#4 Posted by Sollet (7395 posts) -

Color me interested :)

#5 Posted by Heil68 (45145 posts) -

Awesome. Will check out the game for sure. We seen it at comic con last October and it looked fun then.

#6 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7415 posts) -

I was a huge fan of Strider on the NES. I will be looking forward to this. AWWWWEE YEEEEAAAHH.

#7 Posted by kuu2 (7367 posts) -
@FoxbatAlpha said:

I was a huge fan of Strider on the NES. I will be looking forward to this. AWWWWEE YEEEEAAAHH.

Is it out on the One yet digitally?

#8 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7321 posts) -

The game looks goood. I will pick it up off Steam when it gets cheap.

#9 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

I want it, but haven't done research. Does it only use one joystick? I intend on buying it for my 360 as long as I can use my arcade sticks. Otherwise, I'm not as interested as I previously was.

still looking for the control scheme ._.

#10 Edited by WitIsWisdom (3798 posts) -

I was more excited to hear about this than actually watch the video. I enjoyed Strider back on the NES though... so who knows. Strider was also a decent character in the MvC series if you knew how to use him. How much is this game? It is definitely worth a look if it is a cheaper title... if this is full production though.. no way.

*edit* $15? that's what it looks to be when I looked it up... for that.. OH YEAH, downloading tonight.

developed by Double Helix huh? I am going to start my KI download in just a minute, so I will likely get this on the X1 just to keep things nice and tidy.

#11 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Long time strider fan. Will be getting.

#12 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7415 posts) -

@kuu2 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

I don't know!!!!!!! But I want it.

#13 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3049 posts) -

Might have to check this out. I've been ignoring it.

#14 Posted by Spartan070 (16355 posts) -

Definitely picking up. Something to play between Titanfall Beta and full game release.

#15 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3032 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha: Apparently it's coming out on PSN today, and on XBL tomorrow.....huge fan of the old strider and 2D games in general, this an easy purchase for me

#16 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

I remember this on the Mega Drive, damn. May pick it up.

#17 Posted by Arach666 (23042 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

Same here,one of my first mega drive games,it was really damn short though but really good.

#18 Edited by lostrib (37604 posts) -

Never heard of it, must be awful

#19 Posted by Spartan070 (16355 posts) -

Anyone has $$$ info? I'm guessing $20?

#20 Edited by SolidTy (43735 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

Why haven't I bought it, there's plenty of reasons!

1. Because it's digital and I NEVER pay full price for digital, non-sellable, none-tradable, DRM games.
  2. Plus, I'm not a fan of the developer or Capcom's strategy to fire top employees and insist on outside developers,
  3. and finally Strider is doing merely average at metacritic 75/100 (You used only the GS score as a reason to buy, why not look more into it?). I don't pay top dollar for average scoring games even if they are physical unless I know I'll love it, and the early build I tried seemed good but nothing special.

As a Strider fan I will buy it when it hits the $5 mark, probably. I still own the many versions of this game from the Arcade to NES, Genesis, PSP, PS2, etc and the PSX (That came with Strider 2) remake of the game. If it was retail I would pay a little more, but still not top dollar. I also used Strider quite a bit in Marvel Vs. Capcom games.

There's my answer to why I haven't bought Strider HD yet, and I'm a hardcore legacy Strider fan. I have been watching it though, I'll pick it up cheap due to PS+ or Black Friday or some XBLA sale. I just hate paying full price for a game I'll 100% beat in a week, and I hate it more when I can't even lend it out to a friend after telling them it's good. Especially considering most of us should have mountainous backlog of AAA developed WiiPS360PC games to play over the course of the last generation. I'd rather play an amazing AAA 2011-2012-2013 game I own and still haven't beat rather than buy this brand new arcade game for full dollar.

I'd rather go buy one of those amazing older games that would now be on sale rather than buy Strider HD 75/100 metascoring game. I'll get around to this game when the price drops.

#21 Edited by ConanTheStoner (5594 posts) -

I'll check it out eventually, I love side scrollers and the old arcade Strider was a lot of fun.

#22 Posted by AcidTango (609 posts) -

Never played the original game yet. Should one day.

#23 Posted by getyeryayasout (7599 posts) -

Strider was one of the first games I played on my Genesis years ago. I'll give the demo a try, but even if it's good I'll probably wait for a discount or for it to go to PS Plus. My plate's full enough right now.

#24 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8758 posts) -

I was replaying through the Genesis version last night in anticipation for this one. Absolutely loving it so far. Wish it had the "shwing" sound effect though. :(

#25 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8758 posts) -

@Spartan070:

$14.99

#26 Edited by Spartan070 (16355 posts) -

@Xaero_Gravity said:

@Spartan070:

$14.99

Nice, bargain imo.

#27 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I have no nostalgia for this series, but I've always wanted to try the original.

I think I'd like to play the original before trying the new one out (assuming I ever do).

#28 Posted by blackace (20885 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

I didn't know it was already released. I'll definitely check it out after I read a few more reviews.

#29 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26572 posts) -

@Capitan_Kid said:

easy 15 is to much money. Waiting for a sale then ill buy the ps4 version.

#30 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3032 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@kuu2 said:
@FoxbatAlpha said:

I don't know!!!!!!! But I want it.

Good news it's out now on Xbox One marketplace.....and the "box" art is is superb.

#31 Posted by foxhound_fox (88688 posts) -

Will get if it gets a Humble Bundle.

#32 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3032 posts) -

@

@SolidTy said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

1. Because it's digital and I NEVER pay full price for digital, non-sellable, none-tradable, DRM games.
  2. Plus, I'm not a fan of the developer or Capcom's strategy to fire top employees and insist on outside developers,
  3. and finally Strider is doing merely average at metacritic 75/100. I don't pay top dollar for average scoring games even if they are physical unless I know I'll love it, and the early build I tried seemed good but nothing special.

As a Strider fan I will buy it when it hits the $5 mark, probably. I still own the many versions of this game from the Arcade to NES, Genesis, PSP, PS2, etc and the PSX (That came with Strider 2) remake of the game. If it was retail I would pay a little more, but still not top dollar. I also used Strider quite a bit in Marvel Vs. Capcom games.

There's my answer to why I haven't bought Strider HD yet, and I'm a hardcore legacy Strider fan. I have been watching it though, I'll pick it up cheap due to PS+ or Black Friday or some XBLA sale. I just hate paying full price for a game I'll 100% beat in a week, and I hate it more when I can't even lend it out to a friend after telling them it's good. Especially considering most of us should have mountainous backlog of AAA developed WiiPS360PC games to play over the course of the last generation. I'd rather play an amazing AAA 2011-2012-2013 game I own and still haven't beat rather than buy this brand new arcade game for full dollar.

I'd rather go buy one of those amazing older games that would now be on sale rather than buy Strider HD 75/100 metascoring game. I'll get around to this game when the price drops.

Whoa! Did you type all of that for this thread, or did you copy/paste from another one? Anyways, to each his own, what you do with your money is your perrogative, but of all the possible games you could boycott, a spectacular 2D game like this would be the last one you should.....they are so few and far between, and the Metascore you are quoting is completely irrelevant here - most of today's reviewers wouldn't have a clue on how to judge a 2D game like this, so 75 is actually great.

#33 Posted by aroxx_ab (10046 posts) -

I am not a huge fan of Strider or this type of game but 8 score sounds like a solid game.

#34 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

3. and finally Strider is doing merely average at metacritic 75/100. I don't pay top dollar for average scoring games even if they are physical unless I know I'll love it, and the early build I tried seemed good but nothing special.

Thats a load of shite. Your dislike of Capcom is irrational. Its only 14.99 you arent paying full price for it. Also did you read any of these reviews or look at that meaningless number? A 75 metacritic is nowhere near bad.

#35 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5594 posts) -

@SolidTy:

Man, I understand avoiding digital, that's cool. But I gotta agree with some of the others here. The game is cheap... and brushing off a game for having a 75 on meta is just lulz. Even so, it's actually averaging around 80 now... and I see you say you're an old school Strider fan... well, those older games actually averaged about the same or worse. :/

And if I really cared about a companies internal workings so much that it would affect my enjoyment for games, I probably wouldn't play many games. If I'm sitting back enjoying the new Strider I won't be thinking about greedy business men at Capcom.

#36 Edited by SolidTy (43735 posts) -

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidTy:

Man, I understand avoiding digital, that's cool. But I gotta agree with some of the others here. The game is cheap... and brushing off a game for having a 75 on meta is just lulz. Even so, it's actually averaging around 80 now... and I see you say you're an old school Strider fan... well, those older games actually averaged about the same or worse. :/

And if I really cared about a companies internal workings so much that it would affect my enjoyment for games, I probably wouldn't play many games. If I'm sitting back enjoying the new Strider I won't be thinking about greedy business men at Capcom.

I have hundreds of XBLA, PSN, Steam, Origin, and more games I paid full price for...after spending thousands on full priced digital games only to see the same games go on sale months later, many times I haven't even gotten to playing them. I hit my money limit with digital games, sometime around Blizzard going full scale DRM....I think it was around when Braid was new that I started paying attention to how much money I was throwing down the drain.

As a collector, I take pride in my old Strider games, something I won't be able to do with this version. The digital is the main reason why I'm not paying full price.

$15 adds up over and over, and I'm not in a rush to support digital as I once did because it's a rip off for collectors like myself.

As far as the metascore, that is a gauge just to throw out there but my decision was already made months ago. It's also still 75 btw, but I am well aware of the metacritic flaws, I myself spoke in great lengths about metascores over and over in SW over the years. That's just a slight gauge for SW to go by because the OP used a single score to justify a purchase. If I'm going to buy a game, I would like to know more than a single score from Gamespot.com, which is what I provided for others that click on this thread. I was fortunate to already tap the game in a demonstration form and I came away unimpressed a awhile back.

Same for Capcom's choices these last few years. I was a #1 Capcom fan for two decades, so it's hard to watch how low they have fallen. 90% of my avoiding this game is based on the digital only avenue (avoiding at $15, not $5), the 10% is the metascore, early demo, and Capcom.

I boycotted Activision for years. I can't turn off thinking about these business things as you have been able to, so in that I say congrats. If this game was 90+ at meta, or at the very least impressed me months back, I still wouldn't pay $15, but I'd be tempted. I'm not even remotely tempted right now. Hopefully this explains more.

#37 Edited by SolidTy (43735 posts) -
@Alucard_Prime said:

@SolidTy said:

@Capitan_Kid said:

Whoa! Did you type all of that for this thread, or did you copy/paste from another one? Anyways, to each his own, what you do with your money is your perrogative, but of all the possible games you could boycott, a spectacular 2D game like this would be the last one you should.....they are so few and far between, and the Metascore you are quoting is completely irrelevant here - most of today's reviewers wouldn't have a clue on how to judge a 2D game like this, so 75 is actually great.

I have a very high W.P.M. and I'm a fast typer, so that post was nothing to me, fast and easy to type. I'm very flattered that you were so impressed because it was 100% original and I can do it all day, every day. Instead of spamming multiple threads, I deposit more thoughts in most of all my posts, even my jokes. Since I type fast, it's easy. It means I post less, but my posts are filled with more content.

It's true about metacritic, that was thrown in there for SW purposes (You should see my lolmetacritic threads of SW yesteryears where I breakdown ALL the flaws of Metacritic), but the reality is as a collector I can't stand buying digital games at full price. The rest of my post was just some other tiny variables for others to consider. For me, I'm a huge, huge game collector. Bear in mind, in this thread the context was that GAMESPOT's single score was used by the TC to justify the game's purchase. I merely offered many more critical choices if one was going to base their decisions on scores at all. The premise of the OP was flawed, all I did was present the TC and future posters more scores before they buy.

This game would be far more tempting if it was sold physical at retail as I'm a collector that looks to the future.

Also, I said I would buy it because I am a fan, but not at the full asking price of $15. $5. Probably this Black Friday weekend, if not sooner due to PS+ or whatever. My backlog is too big for that and I literally have hundreds of XBLA games alone, then add in all the PSN games, PC (Blizzard, Origin, Steam, GOG), it's a nightmare backlog. I paid full price for hundreds of DD games, I can't justify it anymore.

The fact that I did get to see the game awhile back as I've been watching it, I am not a fan of the developer, and I'm not in love with Capcom's antics the last few years are just icing on the cake. Rest assured, the Cake in this case is the fact this is a digital game for $15. I used to pay that, but somewhere around the $1000 mark, I got wise to it all. This game will be on sale by summer, if not fall. I feel the same for the new The Last of Us: Left Behind expansion, or any digital product. I'll be there when the price is right, and in the meantime I have a massive backlog to tackle of AAA games across PS360WiiPC3DSVita.

#38 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3032 posts) -

@SolidTy: Fair enough, and my apologies for the copy/paste remark, I thought you were one of those people who had a vendetta against a company and would post things like this like this where you went. Truth is, I'm not really judging you, but it's unfortunate that big fans such as yourself will not show support on day 1, these games rely on oldschool fans for part of their success, but I can certainly understand your reason. You certainly have more resolve than I do, I bought it within 2 seconds of spotting it on the marketplace :)

#39 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5594 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidTy:

I have hundreds of XBLA, PSN, Steam, Origin, and more games I paid full price for...after spending thousands on full priced digital games only to see the same games go on sale months later, many times I haven't even gotten to playing them. I hit my money limit with digital games, sometime around Blizzard going full scale DRM....I think it was around when Braid was new that I started paying attention to how much money I was throwing down the drain.

As a collector, I take pride in my old Strider games, something I won't be able to do with this version. The digital is the main reason why I'm not paying full price.

$15 adds up over and over, and I'm not in a rush to support digital as I once did because it's a rip off for collectors like myself.

As far as the metascore, that is a gauge just to throw out there but my decision was already made months ago. It's also still 75 btw, but I am well aware of the metacritic flaws, I myself spoke in great lengths about metascores over and over in SW over the years. That's just a slight gauge for SW to go by because the OP used a single score to justify a purchase. If I'm going to buy a game, I would like to know more than a single score from Gamespot.com, which is what I provided for others that click on this thread. I was fortunate to already tap the game in a demonstration form and I came away unimpressed a awhile back.

Same for Capcom's choices these last few years. I was a #1 Capcom fan for two decades, so it's hard to watch how low they have fallen. 90% of my avoiding this game is based on the digital only avenue (avoiding at $15, not $5), the 10% is the metascore, early demo, and Capcom.

I boycotted Activision for years. I can't turn off thinking about these business things as you have been able to, so in that I say congrats. If this game was 90+ at meta, or at the very least impressed me months back, I still wouldn't pay $15, but I'd be tempted. I'm not even remotely tempted right now. Hopefully this explains more.

Yeah, that's perfectly understandable man. If digital is your main gripe, I get that. I also avoid digital as often as I can for the same reasons. And if you demo'd the game and came away unimpressed then of course you shouldn't buy it.

I also agree that Meta is a better source than GS if scores must be brought into discussion or used to weigh in on a purchase decision. As for where the score currently sits, it's 75 on the 360, but 79 and 80 on the PS4 and X1 respectively. Not that any of those are bad, but you're looking at the lowest of the bunch.

And yeah, as for business practice, I'm able to put that shit out of mind quite easily. Not just with games either. It's pretty much impossible to go through life and not deal with companies that are being shady in one way or another. Screwing people, screwing the environment, etc.. it's just tough to avoid. If you've been a long time console gamer then at some point your money was supporting sweat shops, child labor, conflict minerals, etc... these things are much worse than a company being shitty to their own in-house talent, yet we still buy these products. Hell, you can't even buy a pair of Nikes in good faith lol.

Not trying to cast a guilt trip btw, these issues are out of our hands obviously. It's governments and corporations that make that shit a reality, not the end user. I was just giving you my point of view as to why I don't take that stuff into account while gaming.

#40 Edited by dethtrain (418 posts) -

So what should I get it for? PS4 or PC or Wii U?

#41 Posted by Ghost120x (3909 posts) -

I played for about 2 hours and I am enjoying it much more than I anticipated considering it's from helix. I would rather have 2D, crisp and clean anime-like graphics as opposed to the 2.5D. Other than that, it's pretty good imo.

#42 Edited by Allicrombie (25226 posts) -

@SolidTy: you must be a lot of fun at a picnic. =P

#43 Posted by SolidTy (43735 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime said:

@SolidTy: Fair enough, and my apologies for the copy/paste remark, I thought you were one of those people who had a vendetta against a company and would post things like this like this where you went. Truth is, I'm not really judging you, but it's unfortunate that big fans such as yourself will not show support on day 1, these games rely on oldschool fans for part of their success, but I can certainly understand your reason. You certainly have more resolve than I do, I bought it within 2 seconds of spotting it on the marketplace :)

No, I don't do that vendetta spam the same posts in multiple threads stuff, that's not my typical M.O.. I don't hate Capcom, I secretly hope they rise back up truth be told. Probably won't happen and they aren't awful, but I hope some positive changes come soon.

I do want this game, but my principles on digital and other issues are standing in my way, but I will own it one day when the price is right. Thankfully, I have such a massive backlog, I can put it off. Early in the generation I went nuts buying full priced 360 XBLA games, WiiWare/ Wii VC, PC (various), and PS3 PSN games...it took it's toll on me. The worst is when I play a game I bought full price, I end up thinking it's okay, and I can't even give it away. That's digital for ya.
Still, I'm glad you are enjoying it. I hope it lives up to your Strider memories.

#44 Posted by SolidTy (43735 posts) -
@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidTy said:

@ConanTheStoner said:

@SolidTy:

Yeah, that's perfectly understandable man. If digital is your main gripe, I get that. I also avoid digital as often as I can for the same reasons. And if you demo'd the game and came away unimpressed then of course you shouldn't buy it.

I also agree that Meta is a better source than GS if scores must be brought into discussion or used to weigh in on a purchase decision. As for where the score currently sits, it's 75 on the 360, but 79 and 80 on the PS4 and X1 respectively. Not that any of those are bad, but you're looking at the lowest of the bunch.

And yeah, as for business practice, I'm able to put that shit out of mind quite easily. Not just with games either. It's pretty much impossible to go through life and not deal with companies that are being shady in one way or another. Screwing people, screwing the environment, etc.. it's just tough to avoid. If you've been a long time console gamer then at some point your money was supporting sweat shops, child labor, conflict minerals, etc... these things are much worse than a company being shitty to their own in-house talent, yet we still buy these products. Hell, you can't even buy a pair of Nikes in good faith lol.

Not trying to cast a guilt trip btw, these issues are out of our hands obviously. It's governments and corporations that make that shit a reality, not the end user. I was just giving you my point of view as to why I don't take that stuff into account while gaming.

That's the kind of thing I can rally behind, because I've boycotted more than gaming companies quite a few times. In RL, it's usually a few us. I've had some really fun and passionate discussions on those topics in RL, but I'll stray away since this isn't the offtopic lounge, although I'm glad you said it. It is depressing to think about, that's for sure.

Ultimately though, the main reason for me is the digital only avenue. Buying a DD game, finding out you love it, and then you can't lend it to family member or friend...or worse it turns out you think it's not so good, and you can't even give it away. I do buy them though, especially a game like Strider HD which is digital only, but I won't budge until I get the right price.

#45 Edited by Alucard_Prime (3032 posts) -

Played about 10min and so far it's great. Seems like a Super Metroid style game now, where you need to backtrack once you have certain items in order to open a new passage or something. Graphics are great and gameplay is buttery smooth.

I wonder if I should use my TE2 stick with this game, will have to play more first.

#46 Edited by jg4xchamp (48338 posts) -

ITT: telling someone how to spend their money

Anyway I'm going to wait on a steam sale now. Backlog is long, and I got other games I plan on picking up. DK day one this week, Dark Souls 2 next month. Some combination of 2 between Yoshi's New Island, South Park, Titanfall, and Shovel Knight(it looks delightful).

#47 Edited by SolidTy (43735 posts) -

@Allicrombie said:

@SolidTy: you must be a lot of fun at a picnic. =P

Lol, well SW isn't the best place to see my picnic behavior, but believe it or not I am fun at a pic-a-nik.;)

#48 Edited by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Wishlisted. Too many games to play.

#49 Posted by CountBleck12 (22930 posts) -

I don't know about getting it, I mean I haven't even played the original.

#50 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (6246 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

@lundy86_4 said:

This is based off of the arcade game though.

Played the original arcade religiously (as well as the PS1 port) - will buy this game.