Street Fighter V

#1 Edited by Gue1 (9176 posts) -

Street Fighter V is happening sooner rather than later according to Capcom, and only for next-gen consoles PS4/Xbone (sorry Wii U and PC not even mentioned). Although their ideas for the sequel sound like the perfect recipe for disaster. We are about to witness how Capcom will murder yet another franchise.

"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously," Tsujimoto said.

They'd also like to implement some kind of feature that will allow users to spectate matches between high-level players directly within the game itself, "so as to allow beginners to learn how to use the special moves and pick up on general strategy, which will help in growing the userbase".

We're still in early planning stages and will share more at a later date," added Ono.

Capcom looking developing street fighter 5 ps4 and xbox one, focusing helping beginners, considering pay advantage models

#2 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26178 posts) -

Im sure they got another uber special edition of SF4 coming after ultra.

#3 Edited by da_illest101 (7406 posts) -

Well they still need to release omega street fighter 4, super street fighter 4-2, ultimate street fighter 4, street fighter 4: remastered, super street fighter 4: remastered etc

#4 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (3796 posts) -

I won't be jumping in so soon with this one. will wait for a later version.

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8641 posts) -

What the hell does that mean ?

And thats horrible design..... You can'tt learn from your losses if they happen in 2 seconds.....

#6 Edited by foxhound_fox (86984 posts) -

Pay-to-win.

#7 Posted by nintendoboy16 (25848 posts) -
#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8641 posts) -

@nintendoboy16

Oh Yeah..... I heard about that.... I though they were punking me....

#9 Edited by Speak_Low (752 posts) -
#10 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24342 posts) -

I'm actually surprised we didn't see a Ultra Street Fighter IV PS4 or Xbone edition

#11 Posted by I_can_haz (6496 posts) -

I'll probably be skipping this one unless it's REALLY REALLY good like Street Fighter 3 good.

#12 Posted by ddlcpc (840 posts) -

Give me character from Arika then i'll buy u'r game

#13 Posted by OniLordAsmodeus (57 posts) -

Capcom making a more user friendly games shouldn't set off any alarms. SF has always been low barrier to entry with deeper levels if you are hard core. Plus, FGs have been scaling back difficulty for years now.

Why do you think SF dropped the parry from SF3? Why in Mortal Kombat 9 (and I'm guessing X) do you only have to pull the triggers to get an X-ray? Why does the new Killer Instinct have such simplified inputs?

They do this for ease of use and to be more casual friendly.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8641 posts) -

@OniLordAsmodeus

Somebody needs to send Tekken the "streamline" memo.... :)

#15 Posted by OniLordAsmodeus (57 posts) -

@OniLordAsmodeus

Somebody needs to send Tekken the "streamline" memo.... :)

I'm sure Tekken in going to do a hard reset with T7. TTT2 is an incredible wall to climb to just get decent at that game. I haven't really played a Tekken since T3.

#16 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8641 posts) -

@OniLordAsmodeus

And you don't have to.... :)

its barely changed. :p

#17 Posted by OniLordAsmodeus (57 posts) -

@OniLordAsmodeus

And you don't have to.... :)

its barely changed. :p

I still like Tekken, but I think I like Soul Caliber more now of the Namco fighters. My Primary FG is MK and I'm looking to get into KI when I get the time (and motivation).

#18 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8641 posts) -

@OniLordAsmodeus

I'm more of a Dead or Alive type of guy.... Come for the Boobs stay for the gameplay.... :D

My only Namco fighter is Naruto.... Although technically Namco only published it..... Sort of..

#19 Posted by nini200 (9390 posts) -

Street Fighter 5: Divekick edition Confirmed

#20 Edited by Alucard_Prime (2626 posts) -

@Gue1:

I'm glad they are working on an SF title for next gen, I wouldn't be too worried about the direction for now, they know they gotta keep it plausible for the hardcore. I think they just want to make it so that newbies feel like they did something in a match, rather than just be oblitherated one time after the next.

I do understand your concern though, companies often sacrifice challenge for accessibilty, and this is a trend that is not slowing down....hopefully there will be balance.....oh, and I hope Guile will be included !

#21 Edited by farrell2k (5243 posts) -

Eh, Street Fighter stopped being fun after Marvel Super Heroes Vs Street Fighter. Every game since then has become even more boring than the last. Street fighter has run its course. It's time for Capcom to let it die and move on.

#22 Posted by Coco_pierrot (231 posts) -

Ah Capcom make more and more crap ... RE, Street Fighter with and more ridiculous version ... Eff them. They even Eff'up Devil May Cry. Pretty much like EA, Activision and Ubisoft ... only making crappy stuff that you forget before you actually finish it.

#23 Posted by OneSanitarium (6872 posts) -

@Coco_pierrot:

I got this. RE6 is one of the best RE's to date, and this is especially what Capcom is supposed to believe because it's sold so much. SF4 got 5 updates in total across 5 years, which is good for a competitive game, especially knowing updates like that aren't for getting a ton of new people in and are more for the existing fan bases.

They didn't make D'm'C, and sources lead to them still wanting to keep D'M'C alive with inclusion of actual Dante and Vergil in some things. Capcom is still good.

#24 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1033 posts) -

how long was the wait between 3 and 4? like 10 years?

#25 Posted by Coco_pierrot (231 posts) -

@OneSanitarium:

Nah RE6 is an abysmal mess. RE1 and 2 and the REmake on Gamecube was the prime time for this serie, once it turned into RE4 it just became something else. It turned into an action movie !!! In RE2 there was a scene where the Police Chef kept his daughter turned into a zombi into a room and fed her his dead comrade !!! thats more like an horror story in a survival game ... now it is a 3rd person shooter. A freaking joke.

Street Fighter IV is also a joke ... you buy one version with a shit load of DLC then BAM! next version comes out with all your DLC includeed and they releases more DLC ... it becames a stupid joke, they think we will buy 4 or 5 times the same fucking game with more DLC each time ?

#26 Edited by MirkoS77 (6876 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Street Fighter V is happening sooner rather than later according to Capcom, and only for next-gen consoles PS4/Xbone (sorry Wii U and PC not even mentioned). Although their ideas for the sequel sound like the perfect recipe for disaster. We are about to witness how Capcom will murder yet another franchise.

"We'd like to steer away from making the next game such that skilled players will win, but unskilled players will lose almost instantaneously," Tsujimoto said.

Yea, I mean, Heaven forbid that skill should be rewarded. It's not like that's what makes playing games so enjoyable in the first place. Instead, we have to make sure not to leave anyone outside in the rain feeling blue.

#27 Posted by Heirren (15995 posts) -

I'll probably be skipping this one unless it's REALLY REALLY good like Street Fighter 3 good.

I agree. Also I think people may be blowing this out of proportion. Back in the arcade days one could use general strategy over special this/that. It is hard to put into words, but in a lot of ways the game has been stripped of its depth as theyve pushed all these power strategies into play. Not that some of these don't require skill, they do, however in past iterations of the series there was more ways to be "good" at the game than there are now. Did that make sense because I don't think i worded it right.

#28 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8641 posts) -

@MirkoS77

Thats not skill...... That borders on cheating..... Have they actually said how the plan on doing this ?

I don't think there is a fair way to do it. But you don't care because you're already good.

#29 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4740 posts) -
#30 Posted by OneSanitarium (6872 posts) -

@Coco_pierrot:

RE5/6 > RE4.

Also, to say SF4 is the same each game means you don't play the games in depth enough to have a valid opinion on it. Good job.

#31 Posted by OniLordAsmodeus (57 posts) -

@OneSanitarium:

Nah RE6 is an abysmal mess. RE1 and 2 and the REmake on Gamecube was the prime time for this serie, once it turned into RE4 it just became something else. It turned into an action movie !!! In RE2 there was a scene where the Police Chef kept his daughter turned into a zombi into a room and fed her his dead comrade !!! thats more like an horror story in a survival game ... now it is a 3rd person shooter. A freaking joke.

Street Fighter IV is also a joke ... you buy one version with a shit load of DLC then BAM! next version comes out with all your DLC includeed and they releases more DLC ... it becames a stupid joke, they think we will buy 4 or 5 times the same fucking game with more DLC each time ?

Honestly this is one of the reasons I've stuck with MK as long as I have, they just have a different philosophy on how to make games. I applauds SF, and the SF base, for why they have done for the competitive Fight Game scene (which I am occasionally a part of), but IMO the reason MK is still right there with them even though they haven't created / re-released / revised the same amount of games is because of how diverse each of the games are, and all that they include in each package.

Say what you will about some of the MK games being "broken" by tournament standards, they were still fun as hell IMO. The story and comics, Konquest mode, Chess Kombat, Challenge Tower, etc., I have many fond memories of MK outside of just playing the 1v1 game.

#32 Posted by OniLordAsmodeus (57 posts) -

@OniLordAsmodeus

I'm more of a Dead or Alive type of guy.... Come for the Boobs stay for the gameplay.... :D

My only Namco fighter is Naruto.... Although technically Namco only published it..... Sort of..

I used to love DOA back in the day (even then I was only average at the game). Still, I haven't played a DOA since DOA Ultimate back on the OG Xbox, though I've wanted to get back into it after I heard how good DOA 4 was, and now DOA 5. I'm a huge Naruto fan too, but have never played them games. I've heard they are fairly simple and fun, but I've yet to even tried one or even see it played in person.

People say there aren't that many fighters that come out nowadays, and they might be right if you compare it to the mid to late 90's, but still there are a bunch of good fighters out there...to many to learn and take seriously. Maybe one day though.

#33 Posted by Coco_pierrot (231 posts) -

@Lord_Omikron666:

I played the first iteration of SFIV before it became the money grab joke it became. I see it as a money grab that it isn't Worth it at all.

#34 Posted by Coco_pierrot (231 posts) -

@OneSanitarium:

RE1,2,3,Remake,Code Veronica > RE4,5,6

I played enough of it to see it was a money grab that isn't Worth it at all.

#35 Posted by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

I want street fighter alpha 4 first..

#36 Edited by Speak_Low (752 posts) -

The SF4 iterations did bring much-needed balance to the characters (which now has a roster of 44 characters), which took lots of time and work on Capcom's part. And this isn't simple tweaking - because you change one character, you have to extensively playtest that character against all others to make sure you didn't create an even worse imbalance full of OP characters. It's not easy work, and even with Ultra (where the balance is much better) I'm sure with even more playtesting we'll find a few OP characters and unfair "nerfs" - this stuff is found with the help of the dedicated community and pro players that give Capcom feedback, and they apply the changes.

You can bet Capcom will get paid for their work. They're not simply releasing "a minor 2MB patch" over Xbox Live/PSN, and they certainly aren't doing months of thorough testing and balance work and getting absolutely nothing out of it, considering their strained financial position these last few years. Do you do months of work for free?

#37 Posted by OneSanitarium (6872 posts) -

@Coco_pierrot:

RE6 has the deepest gameplay of the entire series. RE5/6 are the best in the series.

#38 Posted by LadyBlue (3758 posts) -

And thats horrible design..... You can'tt learn from your losses if they happen in 2 seconds.....

It means you might pick up a thing or two about 2d fighters. ;)

#39 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4740 posts) -

@Coco_pierrot:

And that's why you're opinion on the series is null and void.