Street Fighter series vs Mortal Kombat series

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by SolidGame_basic (19314 posts) 10 months, 2 days ago

Poll: Street Fighter series vs Mortal Kombat series (78 votes)

Street Fighter 60%
Mortal Kombat 40%

Since the mods wouldn't allow a discussion on the movies of these two (although video game movie threads have been done plenty of times on sw), we move to Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat. Which series do you like more? I would have to go with Mortal Kombat. Never could get into Street Fighter. It always seemed like you had to train and be good at it to enjoy it. MK always felt like mindless fun. And I also like them fatalities.
Also, Mortal Kombat X looking awesome btw.

#1 Posted by lostrib (42877 posts) -

At least this one is about games

#2 Posted by SolidGame_basic (19314 posts) -

@lostrib said:

There have been plenty of movie threads before. Search SW.

#3 Posted by lostrib (42877 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@lostrib said:

There have been plenty of movie threads before. Search SW.

okay?

#4 Edited by LadyBlue (3985 posts) -

Historically Street Fighter has been the better fighter, but I still love MK, & the cast.

The last entry was great, & MKX is looking impressive.

#5 Posted by lostrib (42877 posts) -
Loading Video...

#6 Posted by Telekill (5140 posts) -

I prefer MK quite a bit more. I've been with the series since the start and my favorite character is Sub-Zero.

#7 Edited by sailor232 (5107 posts) -

This question brings me back to the 90's. I had more fun with Mortal Kombat back in the day of 1,2,3 but they have not aged at all, while I can go play World Warrior just fine now. So my vote goes to Street Fighter.

#8 Posted by dobzilian (2817 posts) -

Street Fighter was decent at best.

Tasunoko Vs Capcom was the better street fighter game.

#9 Posted by Gue1 (11443 posts) -

@dobzilian said:

tatsunoko was just the beta for marvel, and this is not a joke.

#10 Posted by jg4xchamp (50562 posts) -
Loading Video...

The mortal kombat movie was superior because it gave us this. If the Street Fighter movie had given us Guile's Theme it be one thing, but it didn't. It gave us Street Fighter: The Movie: The game. Plus MK the movie had Johnny Cage punching whats his face in the nuts. Flawless victory.

That's right solid, not giving up on the dream of the SF v MK movie thread. We aint being held down by the shackles of society. But yeah Street Fighter 2, Third Strike, and 4>any MK.

#11 Posted by Nuck81 (5978 posts) -

Mortal Kombat peaked at MKII

#12 Edited by dobzilian (2817 posts) -

@Gue1: A beta being better than the actual game. Go figure.... After owning both of them, Tatsunoko offered much better game play at a better pace than Marvel. Marvel Vs Capcom pace was comparabale to a Tortoise with one leg and made it almost unbearable.

That and X360 Controller.

#13 Posted by Gue1 (11443 posts) -

I don't like mortal kombat because the gameplay is extremely limited and stiff. Even the new Killer Instinct is much more superior.

#14 Posted by Snugenz (12813 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

I don't like mortal kombat because the gameplay is extremely limited and stiff. Even the new Killer Instinct is much more superior.

How much is MS paying you to play turncoat?. :O

On topic: SF > MK

On your other topic: MK: Movie >>>>>>> SF: Movie

#15 Edited by dobzilian (2817 posts) -

Actually SF2 Animated Movie >>> all.

#16 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Street fighter is more technical but mortal kombat is more fun

#17 Edited by Snugenz (12813 posts) -

@dobzilian said:

Actually SF2 Animated Movie >>> all.

The manga one?, if so then yeah.

#18 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26900 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@dobzilian said:

tatsunoko was just the beta for marvel, and this is not a joke.

really? Is it me or did tatsunoko feel more balanced

#19 Edited by mems_1224 (48591 posts) -

Mortal Kombat easily has better games and movies. Street Fighter sucks.

#20 Edited by fgjnfgh (2630 posts) -
@Gue1 said:

exactly, I am liking KI alot and it is no where near MK

#21 Edited by SolidTy (45945 posts) -

Enjoy both, but SF for the long term win. Although I have been enjoying recent MK outings more than SF4 as of late.

Also, I remember WAY BACK in the arcades when MK and SF gamers hated each other, lol. They did unite though to argue with Tekken and Soul Calibur fighters though. I remember before MK existed and it's first appearance in the arcades. Man, that was insane to see those fatalities and blood. Love the MK theme already posted in the thread. The move starts with that theme and it's my favorite part of the movie.

#22 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10497 posts) -

Anyone who says Mortal Kombat is better is a huge noob.

#23 Posted by foxhound_fox (90824 posts) -

Street Fighter is a mechanically sound fighting game series. MK is usually unbalanced at best.

Personally, I've not played much of either (UMK3, MK9 and a few rounds of SFII in an arcade).

#24 Edited by SolidGame_basic (19314 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

Enjoy both, but SF for the long term win. Although I have been enjoying recent MK outings more than SF4 as of late.

Also, I remember WAY BACK in the arcades when MK and SF gamers hated each other, lol. They did unite though to argue with Tekken and Soul Calibur fighters though. I remember before MK existed and it's first appearance in the arcades. Man, that was insane to see those fatalities and blood. Love the MK theme already posted in the thread. The move starts with that theme and it's my favorite part of the movie.

you mean this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On-aETZNRN8

and yea, those were great times.

#25 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17565 posts) -

I like the MK lore and cool factor more, but when it comes to playing, I much prefer Street Fighter.

#26 Posted by SolidTy (45945 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

@SolidTy said:

you mean this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On-aETZNRN8

and yea, those were great times.

That's exactly right.

I love that opening of the 1st MK movie. :)

Loading Video...

#27 Posted by onewiththegame (4264 posts) -

Street Fighter for me easy

#28 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

In the past I preferred Street Fighter but SF4 left a crappy taste in my mouth with all the DLC and scamming from Crapcom so now I prefer MK. MK9 was incredible with the amount of content it had, I'm so looking forward to MKX.

#29 Posted by WallofTruth (2120 posts) -

Mortal Kombat easily.

#30 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4832 posts) -

Besides the amount of content that Mortal Kombat has, Street Fighter is easily the better fighting game.

#31 Posted by Senor_Kami (8439 posts) -

Mortal Kombat only cared about gameplay starting last gen. Street Fighter has been all about that at least since SFII back in the early 90s. Gameplay > gore being the only redeeming factor of a game. SF wins by default.

#32 Posted by starwolf474 (983 posts) -

Mortal Kombat because I prefer the characters and the gore.

#33 Posted by superbuuman (3240 posts) -

Street Fighter II series onwards. :P

#34 Posted by AcidTango (768 posts) -

For me it's Mortal Kombat.

#35 Edited by NFJSupreme (5407 posts) -

mortal kombat is better than street fighter in everyway except gameplay so I'm going with street fighter since probably more so than any other genre gameplay > ALL when it comes to fighters. It could be two stick figures fighting, if the game play is top notch and has depth it's an amazing fighting game.

#36 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5254 posts) -

The Mortal Kombat gameplay has never been more than a temporary novelty to me. I play it for a bit then go back to others. Their insistence of pressing a button for block is stupid imo.

I think Killer Instinct has more of a potential to turn into a serious fighter series than Mortal Kombat.

The story in single player usually keeps me playing Mortal Kombat for a couple of weeks.

#37 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28096 posts) -

Mortal Kombat for more interesting story. Street Fighter for gameplay.

#39 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9409 posts) -

I think what makes a great fighter is depth, execution, and balance. Street Fighter outdoes Mortal Kombat in all those categories. Both are a great deal of fun though.

#40 Posted by AzatiS (8166 posts) -

Street fighter for competitive play , i love it

Mortal Kombat for fun

Both winners imho

#41 Posted by TheEroica (14493 posts) -

As a kid I worshiped Street Fighter 2.... went to the arcade weekly to toss my quarters away.

As an adult who has little interest in embedding myself in the fighter genre as deeply as I did when I was young, I find MK to be more approachable .

#42 Posted by Litchie (16666 posts) -

If you asked me in the SNES days I'd say Street Fighter. Now, I have more fun with Mortal Kombat.

#43 Posted by ddlcpc (878 posts) -

Streetfighter with akira fighter

MK is great but I find the whole fast melee animation really akward

#44 Edited by iambatman7986 (833 posts) -

Mortal kombat for me. I've always thought it was the better game when it came out in the arcades. Most preferred street fighter though. I also like what mortal kombat has evolved into as well.

#45 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (2354 posts) -

i prefer the fighting style in street fighter more, its a bit slower which leads to more epic matches. mortal combat is more prone to spammers.

#46 Posted by manny280 (1990 posts) -

Marvel vs Capcom 2, Smash Bros. Melee and the original Soul Calibur are far superior games. However, between these two franchises Street Fighter II is definitely the best game

#47 Posted by Cloud_imperium (6384 posts) -

Street Fighter because Childhood ... Loved Street Fighter 2 . So many pleasant memories .

#48 Posted by yokofox33 (30358 posts) -

Street Fighter. I have fond memories playing SF2 in the arcade. I suck at all SF games, but whatever, I like the characters and moves better.

#50 Posted by lamprey263 (25622 posts) -

Street Fighter is kind of the quintessential/staple fighting game since Street Fighter 2 onward, though I enjoy Mortal Kombat more.

I'd love to see a Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat game one day, I've wanted that since the early 90s. Maybe if Capcom can acquire the Marvel license again (someone told me they no loner have it) and with WBIE having the DC license, maybe they collaborate and get some kind of epic Capcom-Marvel vs MK-DC thing going.