deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Click on it to get the image full screen.

But I'll translate this:

$6 for a character. $4 for a costume.

Butif you want to earn these in game, it's 100,000 FM for a character, and 40,000 FM for a costume.

The actual money needed for the characters isn't that insane, it's in line with how other fighting games price their DLC characters. I find the in game costs curious, however- they certainly look inflated and steep to me, but without knowing how much money you earn per match on average, I can't actually say if they are good or bad. Can someone with the game please sound off on this?

EDIT: F*ck, I had my question answered:

On paper, you're getting one and a half characters outright (160,000 coins from just the prologues) for a few hours of work. That's...not bad, since said characters would be sold as paid DLC anyway. But Capcom is counting on you spending your currency on outfits, leaving you with less and less cash to buy characters with. It's a common strategy that's used in a lot of games -- hell, the free market in general. If you can resist the temptation, you'll likely come out on top.

Assuming the well of solo coins dries up, beyond that, you'll need to win roughly 2000 games a month to get a free character. But there are concessions. Leveling up a character by playing them will net you an extra 1000 coins per level, for example. When the shop opens in March, more prices emerge, and other modes arrive, we'll update accordingly. For now, the high rewards for single-player content are great, but we'll see how easy it is to earn Coins once players cap their levels out. "More ways to earn coins will be added throughout the year" Capcom says, but for now, this is just a promise.

WHAT THE EVER LOVING SHIT IS THIS?!?!?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Holy shit there is a free to play plague going around.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

50 FM for online wins, nothing for a loss.

You get a pretty hefty amount for going through story and survival modes once with each character but after that you gotta win online matches.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

Seeing as how this is the internet this news can only cause outrage. Those prices fall right in line with pretty much every fighter. And other fighters like Smash Bros don't give you the ability to earn those characters with in game currency, your only option is to open your wallet. This is a non-issue for the real world but a death sentence on the internet. Nothing new.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

So how much in game time would it be for one character?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
@lostrib said:

So how much in game time would it be for one character?

2,000 victories to unlock one character. And they have to be victories...

@GoldenElementXL said:

Seeing as how this is the internet this news can only cause outrage. Those prices fall right in line with pretty much every fighter. And other fighters like Smash Bros don't give you the ability to earn those characters with in game currency, your only option is to open your wallet. This is a non-issue for the real world but a death sentence on the internet. Nothing new.

Smash Bros. had 50 characters in it right out of the box. 50 characters, and more modes than anyone knows what to do with. Street Fighter has 16 characters, and not one single fleshed out mode.

@whiskeystrike said:

You get a pretty hefty amount for going through story and survival modes once with each character but after that you gotta win online matches.

:/

Why do you get nothing for a loss? Is that explained in game?

dobzilian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dobzilian
Member since 2012 • 3409 Posts

Bayonetta costs £5.49 (39p) if memory serves me correct.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Yeah I'm not spending anymore money on this game until they add more content to it.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@Chozofication: More like pay to rush. Fighting never allowed you to get extra charchter so fast. Nothing changed. Accept you can pay to get it now. 20 years it wudda took just as long to get akuma lol

TheNDefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By TheNDefender
Member since 2016 • 299 Posts

I guess the developers' couldn't beat Ryu's Shoryuken, so they made it hard to get the new characters. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@dobzilian said:

Bayonetta costs £5.49 (39p) if memory serves me correct.

Smash, in general, lets you spend $4 on a character if you want it for just one version, and $6 if you want it for both versions. Equally importantly, in Smash, the character comes with alternate costumes, as well as a bundled stage. None of this is true for SF5. You would end up spending $10 on one SF5 character to have the character and an alternate costume (and no bundled stage).

These two games are not even remotely comparable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Livecommander said:

@Chozofication: More like pay to rush. Fighting never allowed you to get extra charchter so fast. Nothing changed. Accept you can pay to get it now. 20 years it wudda took just as long to get akuma lol

What? No. There were maybe some characters, the hidden bonus characters, or whatever, that took you this absurdly long to unlock before- but to have this much time necessary to unlock all characters was never a thing in fighting games before.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 whiskeystrike

@charizard1605: no idea. Playing a fighter online is already a harrowing experience if you're new but a move like this is just gonna push scrubs to shell out for juri or w/e waifus that are coming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@whiskeystrike said:

@charizard1605: no idea. Playing a fighter online is already a harrowing experience if you're new but a move like this is just gonna push scrubs to shell out for juri or w/e waifus that are coming

That answered my question.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naughtyottsel
Member since 2016 • 1801 Posts

Right ok people, you gain 10,000 per story that you finish and they take 2-3 mins each, so you can unlock the characters and costumes in less than an hour but sure, lets pretend that this is the wort thing ever.

I mean I've only amassed 500,000 at least on all 3 of the accounts that I've had wIped and that took me less than an hour each but what do I know right?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45993 Posts

Among the top sellers on Steam atm.

Embrace this crap people, embrace it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b

@charizard1605 said:

@GoldenElementXL said:

Smash Bros. had 50 characters in it right out of the box. 50 characters, and more modes than anyone knows what to do with. Street Fighter has 16 characters, and not one single fleshed out mode.

I have every character for Smash on Wii U and 3DS not to mention every Smash Amiibo to date. That being said SF V is a deeper fighting game with a deeper move set, strategy etc. Smash has more content by a mile, but you cannot earn those dlc characters. That's really my only point. I wasn't bashing Smash, just comparing the DLC prices and strategies. I will have spent more on Smash than any game this gen and I'm not even good at the game.

TheNDefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheNDefender

@Livecommander: Please tell me that Akuma is in the game. If not, then I would be sad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@naughtyottsel said:

Right ok people, you gain 10,000 per story that you finish and they take 2-3 mins each, so you can unlock the characters and costumes in less than an hour but sure, lets pretend that this is the wort thing ever.

I mean I've only amassed 500,000 at least on all 3 of the accounts that I've had wIped and that took me less than an hour each but what do I know right?

This was addressed by Destructoid and whiskeystrike:

On paper, you're getting one and a half characters outright (160,000 coins from just the prologues) for a few hours of work. That's...not bad, since said characters would be sold as paid DLC anyway. But Capcom is counting on you spending your currency on outfits, leaving you with less and less cash to buy characters with. It's a common strategy that's used in a lot of games -- hell, the free market in general. If you can resist the temptation, you'll likely come out on top.

Assuming the well of solo coins dries up, beyond that, you'll need to win roughly 2000 games a month to get a free character. But there are concessions. Leveling up a character by playing them will net you an extra 1000 coins per level, for example. When the shop opens in March, more prices emerge, and other modes arrive, we'll update accordingly. For now, the high rewards for single-player content are great, but we'll see how easy it is to earn Coins once players cap their levels out. "More ways to earn coins will be added throughout the year" Capcom says, but for now, this is just a promise.

@whiskeystrike said:

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

2,000 victories for a single character, so I would assume for a marginally decent fighter that would be about 3,000 matches, matches likely last about 90 seconds total, plus the downtime between other matches being another 60 seconds...

So that's 7,500 minutes which equals to 125 hours, or 5.2 days straight...

They're forcing people into buying content, what a shitty joke...

"Oh but you can earn all the stuff!"

GTFO

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I don't need to pay for costumes, so I'll do my best to get enough coins to get all the characters. Juri is my priority anyway, as I really like using her in SF4.

But yeah so far SFV comes across as really good game that Capcom should handle better.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 naughtyottsel

@nyadc said:

2,000 victories for a single character, so I would assume for a marginally decent fighter that would be about 3,000 matches, matches likely last about 90 seconds total, plus the downtime between other matches being another 60 seconds...

So that's 7,500 minutes which equals to 125 hours, or 5.2 days straight...

They're forcing people into buying content...

Oh look, he skipped my comment entirely, how shocking~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GoldenElementXL said:
@charizard1605 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

I have every character for Smash on Wii U and 3DS not to mention every Smash Amiibo to date. That being said SF V is a deeper fighting game with a deeper move set, strategy etc. Smash has more content by a mile, but you cannot earn those dlc characters. That's really my only point. I wasn't bashing Smash, just comparing the DLC prices and strategies. I will have spent more on Smash than any game this gen and I'm not even good at the game.

I'm not necessarily comparing the two as fighters. I recognize Smash is not even in the same league as SF5 in that regard (though that's why I love Smash). What I am saying is that the pricing strategy of SF5 is far worse than the pricing strategy of Smash, which just looking at the prices wouldn't tell you:

• Smash characters come bundled with alternate costumes
  • Smash characters come bundled with a stage
  • Smash characters are playable across two versions of the game
  • Smash has 50 characters in the base game to begin with, as well as over two dozen stages in each version

None of this is true of SF5- it's a game with already low content to begin with, and its DLC pricing is further price gouging compared to Smash, which had a stupid amount of content, and offered additional stuff for far cheaper, with more value per purchase. That's what I am trying to say- Capcom is nickel and diming here.

TheNDefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheNDefender

@nyadc: Didn't Capcom do that before?

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts
@thendefender said:

@nyadc: Didn't Capcom do that before?

No idea, either way it's ridiculous.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 naughtyottsel

So guys, I've just finished Ryu 6 times since I wrote that comment 9 mins again and already have 60,000 but yeah, lets pretend this is awful @nyadc

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k

@nyadc said:

"Oh but you can earn all the stuff!"

Worst excuse ever. People should really stop using it.

Oh but hey, you don't have to buy that thing, that a company trying to make money off of is trying to sell us...

No, what I don't have to do is buy Street Fighter, that's a fact !

Also, what movie is that gif from ? xD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@charizard1605 said:

I agree with everything except the above bullet because it's not entirely true. You have to purchase the character in a WiiU/3DS bundle which costs more than the character on just 1 platform. So your statement is partially false.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k

@naughtyottsel said:

Finishing a character's story in 2-3 minutes each... is a good thing ?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lostrib

@R4gn4r0k: it's from an SNL skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@R4gn4r0k said:
@naughtyottsel said:

"It's gonna take 5 straight days of play time to earn a character? This is B.S.!"

"The story is so short that I can earn a character in less than an hour? This is B.S.!"

Which one is it guys? I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be outraged about.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

On second thought, I think I'll just pass on this game. I guess I shouldn't be but I can't help being surprised by the willingness to put up with this. I thought $60 was pushing it for a fighting game in the first place but what do I know?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mark1974

@GoldenElementXL: Both of those. The story should be longer and you shouldn't have to earn anything it should be there already.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@GoldenElementXL said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@naughtyottsel said:

"It's gonna take 5 straight days of play time to earn a character? This is B.S.!"

"The story is so short that I can earn a character in less than an hour? This is B.S.!"

Which one is it guys? I'm trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be outraged about.

The problem is both- you can only get FM from completing all the story modes once- and never again after that. So this is only all good for one character unlock, maybe two.

The other issue is that the story modes are as short as they are to begin with. It's a full on shortage of content, that's what it keeps coming back to.

@GoldenElementXL said:
@charizard1605 said:

I agree with everything except the above bullet because it's not entirely true. You have to purchase the character in a WiiU/3DS bundle which costs more than the character on just 1 platform. So your statement is partially false.

Ah yes, some of the third party characters are definitely a bit more expensive. Yes, I admit that Bayonetta and Cloud (and Ryu?) are more expensive than the standard Smash DLC character. However, even then, $7 for everything that comes with a Smash character is cheaper than the $10 for one SF5 character for far less (one character, one costume, no stage).

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k

@GoldenElementXL said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@naughtyottsel said:

I'm lost with what your comment is supposed to say or what you are criticizing me for.

I'm asking why finishing a character's story in 2-3 minutes, is considered a good thing.

I'm wondering why Capcom couldn't be bothered to release a complete game, but they could be bothered to include an in game store.

If you can't answer or contribute to my questions, I fail to see why we are even having a discussion :/

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
@charizard1605 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@naughtyottsel said:

The problem is both- you can only get FM from completing all the story modes once- and never again after that. So this is only all good for one character unlock, maybe two.

The other issue is that the story modes are as short as they are to begin with. It's a full on shortage of content, that's what it keeps coming back to.

Apparently there's like 640,000 FM in the game if you do the story and survival modes for each of the 16 characters

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5552 Posts

Cant wait to get to work....

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By R4gn4r0k

It's called FM, because you go:

"Fvck Me, why am I even playing this capcom cash shop ?"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lostrib said:
@charizard1605 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@naughtyottsel said:

Apparently there's like 640,000 FM in the game if you do the story and survival modes for each of the 16 characters

Hmmm, Destructoid says it's 160,000 FM

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lostrib
@charizard1605 said:
@lostrib said:
@charizard1605 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Think that's just counting the FM from completing the story with each charcter

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#42 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Can we appreciate that the game JUST hit store shelves and already has DLC priced? It's literally an expected thing now. Jesus H Christ.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@mark1974 said:

@GoldenElementXL: Both of those. The story should be longer and you shouldn't have to earn anything it should be there already.

So you want more than what you have and you don't want to have to actually earn any of it? This pretty much sums up the society we live in today. :p

On a serious note I do get the concerns on content that everyone is talking about. But if things like this are such a deal breaker for $60, you either need to reevaluate how much $60 really is in 2016, (games used to cost more than that in the 90's) or some of you should start looking for new hobbies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lostrib said:
@charizard1605 said:
@lostrib said:
@charizard1605 said:
@GoldenElementXL said:

Think that's just counting the FM from completing the story with each charcter

Ah, right.

Well, that's not quite as bad then- it means you get 6 characters free upfront.

After that, it's a bit rough, but six free characters isn't as bad.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k

@turtlethetaffer said:

Can we appreciate that the game JUST hit store shelves and already has DLC priced? It's literally an expected thing now. Jesus H Christ.

> Game launches with lack of content
> Game launches with 30 dollar season pass to get more content
> Game launches with in game cash shop to get more content
> Game launches with pathetically short singleplayer story mode

= AAA gaming industry these days. They seriously think their consumers and fanbase are idiots.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 whiskeystrike

@GoldenElementXL: Take all off-topic discussion to the lounge. This isn't the place for your personal soapbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-583e460ca986b

@whiskeystrike said:

@GoldenElementXL: Take all off-topic discussion to the lounge. This isn't the place for your personal soapbox

Um no. I'm sorry, who are you? My comments are on topic, maybe a little hard for some to hear, but on topic none the less.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@charizard1605: Why I didn't waste my time preordering it. Capcom will never change.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mark1974

@R4gn4r0k said:
@turtlethetaffer said:

> Game launches with lack of content

> Game launches with 30 dollar season pass to get more content

> Game launches with in game cash shop to get more content

> Game launches with pathetically short singleplayer story mode

= AAA gaming industry these days. They seriously think their consumers and fanbase are idiots.

There is no single player against the cpu, the most basic of all modes!!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one because I'm beginning to wonder.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5552 Posts

The good news is its February 16th now... and first DLC character does not come out till April. And considering you pretty much earn Alex in the first 2-3 hours, the rest of that time you spend banking.

Its not all that bad people... cheer up.