Streaming Xbox One games to Windows 10 is pretty cool.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

One feature of Windows 10 that is very impressive is the ability to stream Xbox One games to your PC. It's nice having quick access to all my PC media and applications while playing the Xbox One. It's definitely much faster then using the slow as hell Xbox One snap feature. If you happen to share a television with another person, you no longer have to fight or be forced to do something else. One individual can have access to the TV, but you can still play your Xbox One games on a different screen. The best part? You can use any controller you want. Using a program like InputMapper, I can actually play Xbox One games using my PS4 controller. I personally find the Xbox one controller overly big and weighty, so it feels really nice to use a controller that I personally prefer.

The downsides? Well, the quality isn't great. it's limited to 720p and stream artifacts are pretty noticeable. It currently feels better for casual play sessions similar to the PS Vita's remote play. However, unlike the Vita, I can see this feature getting better as time goes on.

Out of all the game streaming services to come out over the years (Wii U, Vita, PS Now), I find this to be the most useful. It still has noticeable control lag for game streaming, but it's by far the most playable game streaming service I have touched. With a few more improvements to quality and input lag, I can definitely see myself using this very frequently.

Anyone else that tried this feature have similar thoughts?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46237 Posts

Yes, it is a very interesting feature indeed. Good that windows and Xbox are growing closer together with stuff like this.

However, the best solution to the low res stream and artefacting would be to have more games available on Windows and to implement a cross buy system, along with cloud saves. Turn your xbox off, continue where you left off on PC.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I think it's a bit of a useless feature seeing as It requires an Xbox One and when you're playing it, you're more than likely gonna want play the games on your TV.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

It is better than I expected, enjoying the feature so far. Played some Halo3 campaign, some Forza Horizon 2 and Game Of Thrones from telltale so far with this feature. My xbox one and PC are on different floors and areas so this is a nice feature for me.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I think it's a bit of a useless feature seeing as It requires an Xbox One and when you're playing it, you're more than likely gonna want play the games on your TV.

not useless at all. Perfect example, the gf had a girls night and i had a buddy over, X1 is in the living room where they are watching some god awful tv show. I hook up two 360 controllers and an old laptop to another tv in the house, stream the x1 to it and played fifa all night..

This opens a lot of possibilities. Eventually we'll have a box in the house that will handle all the rendering and such of games but it wont have to be hooked up to a tv or monitor. A single box streaming content, including games, to tv's and monitors around the house. I don't think it'll be too long before we see smart tv's with technology to do this.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

The games I don't have on PC that is not already on Xbox One is Forza and Halo.

I wish Forza was on PC.

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

PS4 controller is a shit. And I was a huge fun of DS3.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It is a neat feature. I was playing some Forza 5 on my PC with it. It's mostly a gimmick, but it works very well.

What everybody should be excited for is the opposite. The PC -> Xbox One streaming. That's partly why the Xbox One is getting mouse and keyboard support. The PC -> Xbox One streaming is very useful in a lot of situations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

I've been streaming from a console to another thing for nearly two years. If it works even nearly as well, I can't see myself using the feature often.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I personally like the activity feed more. i can see what my friends post a lot faster and its easier to comment and share. plus its a lot easier and faster to upload things to youtube that you record. also, the achievements section is really neat too even though its been crashing a lot for me.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

As a primarily desktop user, I can't wrap my head around this. If it was the other way around, it would save me running an HDMI cord to my TV from my PC and then we'd be talking. Even at that, it would only be a cool feature until they iron out getting a TV that supports 4k at 120fps or greater and then we'r right back to square one.

Like, set aside for a moment that I am a walking talking XBone torpedo for a moment, this is just a lame ass feature and it's a backwards lame ass feature. Console streaming to a PC? It hurts my head thinking about it but then again I've been drinking.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@jhonMalcovich said:

PS4 controller is a shit. And I was a huge fun of DS3.

Are you Ant Man? If so, you can grow, too.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Very useless when my TV, Xbox one, and computer are all next to each other in my room. Plus it craps out in 10 minutes and the audio clipping sucks. I had a better time running remote play with vita and PS now (Vita and PS4).

Of course, Sony's services have had updates and have got better over time, but I expected more from MS. I gave it a 2/5 when the feedback option showed up.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Yep. One of the reasons I like consoles is to play games on my TV. If I want to game on my PC...then I buy games for the PC.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Wasdie:

Windows 10 PC-to-XBO streaming is almost cheating for the XBO camp.

Might as well create remote compute processing feature when XBO links to Windows 10 PC with a certain performance level i.e. Crackdown's remote compute processing idea within the LAN environment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

True but sometimes you don't have the ability to do that. Someone else might be occupying the TV. So if you have a tablet or laptop, you can now play anywhere in your house

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@FastRobby said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

True but sometimes you don't have the ability to do that. Someone else might be occupying the TV. So if you have a tablet or laptop, you can now play anywhere in your house

It doesn't let your house mates watch TV while you are streaming so I think it's a bit useless at present. Your stream takes over the Xbox, which is used for TV, so 2 rooms become dedicated to a single game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@donalbane said:
@FastRobby said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

It doesn't let your house mates watch TV while you are streaming so I think it's a bit useless at present. Your stream takes over the Xbox, which is used for TV, so 2 rooms become dedicated to a single game.

Don't connect the TV-box thing to your Xbox One, but directly to the tv.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

Entirely useless to me, at least with the PS share I can play PS4 games in my bed on my Vita at night when my brother goes to sleep.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LegatoSkyheart

@LJS9502_basic said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Yep. One of the reasons I like consoles is to play games on my TV. If I want to game on my PC...then I buy games for the PC.

That's not at all what I said (because I play all my PC games on TV) but believe in your silly world.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LegatoSkyheart

@Bishop1310 said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

not useless at all. Perfect example, the gf had a girls night and i had a buddy over, X1 is in the living room where they are watching some god awful tv show. I hook up two 360 controllers and an old laptop to another tv in the house, stream the x1 to it and played fifa all night..

This opens a lot of possibilities. Eventually we'll have a box in the house that will handle all the rendering and such of games but it wont have to be hooked up to a tv or monitor. A single box streaming content, including games, to tv's and monitors around the house. I don't think it'll be too long before we see smart tv's with technology to do this.

Well good for you I guess, but It just seems rather silly to be using it like that. The WiiU and PS4 (with Vita) have had this function for years except Xbox One requires you to have a PC with Monitor to work it and it's not at all mobile.

It just feels like a complete waste of time and effort just so you can play Halo on PC (and you're not even playing it on a PC just streaming it from an Xbox One).

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Wow. Some of you hermits are bringing a tear to my eye.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

It's remote play, except you need a Win 10 device instead of a 40 dollar box or a handheld. I get good use out of RP to my Vita so I can see the utility it provides to people in certain living situations. Most people here in SW don't seem to have the need.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4862 Posts

@Wasdie said:

It is a neat feature. I was playing some Forza 5 on my PC with it. It's mostly a gimmick, but it works very well.

What everybody should be excited for is the opposite. The PC -> Xbox One streaming. That's partly why the Xbox One is getting mouse and keyboard support. The PC -> Xbox One streaming is very useful in a lot of situations.

Yep. That will be the Bone's killer app. Not being able to play PC games on "the good TV" has always bothered me. And the thought of duplicating the cost of my PC to build a HTPC in the living room was always a deterant.

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

I like the feature. When my wife and/or kids are using the TV and I still want to game it's an option.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

The xbox app in general is pretty cool. The streaming itself is super easy to setup, but the quality does need improvement.

Didnt know you could use any controller through the PC. Damn cool.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@Bishop1310 said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Well good for you I guess, but It just seems rather silly to be using it like that. The WiiU and PS4 (with Vita) have had this function for years except Xbox One requires you to have a PC with Monitor to work it and it's not at all mobile.

It just feels like a complete waste of time and effort just so you can play Halo on PC (and you're not even playing it on a PC just streaming it from an Xbox One).

Windows 10's Xbox One stream app works with tablets and laptop PCs.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

Does anyone know how to launch or run the streaming application in Windowed mode?

It always launches in full screen for me and I can't find how to window it. I see other people running it in Windowed Mode though.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LegatoSkyheart

@ronvalencia said:

Windows 10's Xbox One stream app works with tablets and laptop PCs.

It's still pretty much the same as WiiU's Gamepad and PS4's Remote Vita Play feature.

Not at all useful since most of the Bone's games are on PC anyway.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Yeah, Remote Play is great.